PDA

View Full Version : 50,000 rpm Jeep Wrangler

Xtrema
03-23-2021, 04:55 PM
https://driving.ca/jeep/auto-news/news/jeep-towed-in-4-lo-mechanicals-obliterated-in-biblical-fashion

The crux of the issue seems to be that the Wrangler was left in low range and first gear while being towed behind an RV.

ExtraSlow
03-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Numbnutz did something stupid. Old news, jalop had this a week ago.

ThePenIsMightier
03-23-2021, 05:22 PM
Typical Stellantis! You know what Stellantis stands for, right?
Fix It Again, Tony!

hampstor
03-24-2021, 09:40 AM
Towed a vehicle that is in 4 low. Wow, poor Wrangler didn't have a chance.

jacky4566
03-24-2021, 09:50 AM
Man the driver would have to be REALLY not paying attention to notice the massive anchor behind him. That jeep would have added so much drag how could you not notice, unless it was your first time flat towing?

revelations
03-24-2021, 09:58 AM
Mmany of the newer class As have rear facing cameras sent to a dedicated monitor so that you can see in real time, whats happening behind you. This thing would have detonated in about 5 seconds though after moving though, little time to notice.

hampstor
03-24-2021, 10:27 AM
Man the driver would have to be REALLY not paying attention to notice the massive anchor behind him. That jeep would have added so much drag how could you not notice, unless it was your first time flat towing?

Admittingly, i know nothing about Class A's and motorhomes so after some reading up on them, some engines on Class A's would've made this thing feel like a mild headwind (at least until the transmission and engine blew up and freely spun on the jeep). Apparently this is more common than I thought (people towing vehicles behind motorhomes and leaving them in gear).

AndyL
03-24-2021, 11:55 AM
Kind of surprised the drag on the driveline didn't shred the tires first?

and oh yeah - toad/towed/tagalongs are damaged all the time behind diesel pushers.

4WARNED
03-24-2021, 12:01 PM
I've lost count of how many times i've seen the big diesel pusher motorhomes drag their tow-behind cars when leaving the campground. so much torque at play - they wouldn't even notice them being dragged. that's how much power they have.....
now, other campers running after them and pointing to the screeching / smoking tires usually gets the owner to do the walk of shame and release the brake - or at least double check their hookups.

posting for a friend of course.....

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-24-2021, 12:06 PM
Once or twice I’ve left the handbrake on in my tow car but it’s very obvious after a few hundred meters.

heavyD
03-24-2021, 12:57 PM
Why would they have had it in low range in the first place?

bjstare
03-24-2021, 01:22 PM
Why would they have had it in low range in the first place?

Maybe they were camping somewhere that you can drive off the campsite onto the trail (e.g. maclean creek)? Maybe they intended to put the transfer case into N for towing (per owners manual), and instead slipped 'er into L?

Idk. We're talking about the type of person that for some reason drove away with it in low range. Chances are there's not a good reason for it.

Darell_n
03-24-2021, 05:00 PM
Kind of surprised the drag on the driveline didn't shred the tires first?

and oh yeah - toad/towed/tagalongs are damaged all the time behind diesel pushers.

I would bet the engine hit like 9000 then blew up. The tires would just skid long before any ridiculous rpm happened.

haggis88
03-26-2021, 09:56 AM
tHoSe PeNtAsTaRs ArE iNdEsTrUcTiBlE