PDA

View Full Version : Pepper Spray

jabjab
03-25-2021, 10:46 AM
I don't know if this is illegal but I've heard a growing demand from circle of friends that their family members (particular Asian) would like to carry some around for protection in case of any violence against them.

Can anyone direct me on where it is available to purchase?

ShermanEF9
03-25-2021, 10:50 AM
I don't think "Pepper spray" is available, but bear mace can be acquired at any outdoor store?

Be careful though, carrying this could land you a weapons charge if the cop felt like sticking you with it, or an assault charge if used.

firebane
03-25-2021, 10:52 AM
Would not advise.

https://www.reddit.com/r/alberta/comments/3lypwg/is_pepper_spray_for_purpose_of_self_defense/

The question is why? Used incorrectly you're just going to piss someone off.

Mitsu3000gt
03-25-2021, 10:53 AM
I don't know if this is illegal but I've heard a growing demand from circle of friends that their family members (particular Asian) would like to carry some around for protection in case of any violence against them.

Can anyone direct me on where it is available to purchase?

Buy "dog" spray and when you buy it, if questioned, make sure to tell them it's for dogs not people. If you say you are buying it for personal defense or for people they aren't legally allowed to sell it to you. You can buy it on Amazon, shooting ranges, Canadian tire, etc.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sabre-dog-deterrent-clear-case-spray-0751433p.html#srp

https://www.amazon.ca/SABRE-Dog-Spray-Adjustable-Strap-Black/dp/B006LV27JY/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=dog+spray&qid=1616691122&sr=8-5

Do not buy bear spray - it comes out in a fine-mist cloud, the cans are massive, and the way you're supposed to use it is totally different. For people you want a tight stream to spray at a face kind of like a water gun.

As for the legal side of things, if you are out for a walk and want to protect yourself from "dogs" but are attacked by a person and end up using it on said person, I would imagine you would be within your rights to do so but I am not 100% sure on the details.

firebane
03-25-2021, 10:53 AM
* weird quote issue*

ExtraSlow
03-25-2021, 10:54 AM
I think a handgun is a better idea.

Kloubek
03-25-2021, 10:54 AM
I ordered pepper spray from eBay several years back. Still have it - though I'd question its potency now...

Arrived without incident. Cops did see it once when I got pulled over but gave it back once they were convinced I was not a threat.

lasimmon
03-25-2021, 10:55 AM
Isn't carrying basically anything for self defense illegal?

JRSC00LUDE
03-25-2021, 10:56 AM

No. I have a knife on me every day. I use it to open things.

SJW
03-25-2021, 10:56 AM

I have fists like hammers, am I legal?

revelations
03-25-2021, 10:57 AM
'pepper spray' itself is not illegal if the OC % is 5% or less. Carrying a massive can of bear spray around the city is questionable, but a small dosing unit in your bag or purse is not. Same as carrying a knife around.

bjstare
03-25-2021, 11:01 AM
I feel like OP is nzwasp v2.0.

Every thread seems to contain, in one form or another, some type of stupid proposition or subject matter.

killramos
03-25-2021, 11:10 AM

I mean yea, that’s why you carry it for another legal reason, but when shtf it’s perfectly legal to use what you have on hand in self defence.

Your intentions are the sticking point when it comes time to defend yourself from a charge.

You carry bear mace or a shotgun for bears.

You carry dog spray for dogs.

You have a knife as a tool.

You own a handgun for target practice.

You do not carry any of the above with the intention of defending yourself against a human, and that’s the story you stick to.

TomcoPDR
03-25-2021, 11:13 AM

Like a JRS cool can of whoop ass?

ExtraSlow
03-25-2021, 11:15 AM
I have fists like hammers, am I legal?

Your body is a lethal weapon.

JRSC00LUDE
03-25-2021, 11:25 AM
Like a JRS cool can of whoop ass?

Fresh to order and sized to suit the occasion.

riander5
03-25-2021, 11:44 AM

Every thread seems to contain, in one form or another, some type of stupid proposition or subject matter.

At least jabjabs aren't about his wife's lunacy

jabjab
03-25-2021, 03:15 PM

If you think a rise in female attacks is stupid then i guess this topic might be one of them :)

revelations
03-25-2021, 03:29 PM
^ what rise in Calgary are you referring to? The CPS reported no statistical significant increases specifically with these crimes - ie. offenses by strangers against women.

lilmira
03-25-2021, 03:39 PM
You can't assume gender based on appearance anymore so it's all reported under UFO sighting.

AndyL
03-25-2021, 03:54 PM
Under the firearms act - any propelled irritant is illegal. There's no % that's safe. The "dog spray" is just as illegal as bear spray. Yes police aren't cracking down.

I've gotten crap before about bear spray in the 4x4 (on big ass mud tires), because police spotted it, argued I wasn't actually on my way to a rural location it was needed. (Didn't even get in front of a judge before it was tossed)

bjstare
03-25-2021, 04:12 PM
If you think a rise in female attacks is stupid then i guess this topic might be one of them :)

Believe it or not, I can't read your mind and infer from the first post that this was the motivator. Regardless, it's a red herring.

The perceived stupidity in this case, is the fact that you posted a thread on doing something in a legal grey area (stupid #1), when it would have taken less time and effort to just fucking google it (stupid #2). Since you couldn't figure that out, I've done it for you. Here you go:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sabre-dog-deterrent-pink-case-spray-0751432p.html

Note: I am not recommending you buy this. If you can't figure out how to use google, you surely won't be able to make a good determination about the appropriate situation to use it.

jabjab
03-25-2021, 04:21 PM
^ what rise in Calgary are you referring to? The CPS reported no statistical significant increases specifically with these crimes - ie. offenses by strangers against women.

Calgary Police issued a few statements already on it.

JohnnyHockey13
03-25-2021, 04:54 PM

Funny you mention this...I've been carrying around one of these on my keychain for 6 months now.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/120334/cabelas-small-folding-knife

I don't get one for my wife, because I feel like she would just end up losing it to an attacker.

I think I will buy her one of the dog sprays posted from Amazon earlier....we do indeed have 3 dogs afterall lol

Xtrema
03-25-2021, 05:00 PM
I assume this came out of this incident in SF and then the whole end Asian racism hashtag over all social media/influencers and became MSM talking point last week:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-asian-grandma-attacked-in-sf-directing-donations-back-to-asian-community-20210324-zdoz2nhdqbeuniyjnoukphhqsm-story.html

I don't think Calgary has gone this far backward yet but when the world opened up again for travel, being Asian, I won't be lying if I won't look over my shoulder more often.

https://youtu.be/GeixtYS-P3s

This whining and bitching about racism is gonna make it worse.

ExtraSlow
03-25-2021, 05:50 PM
Funny you mention this...I've been carrying around one of these on my keychain for 6 months now.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/120334/cabelas-small-folding-knife

I don't get one for my wife, because I feel like she would just end up losing it to an attacker.

I think I will buy her one of the dog sprays posted from Amazon earlier....we do indeed have 3 dogs afterall lol

Off topic, but that Cabelas knife is an excellent value, I own four of em for the trailer, toolbox and tackle box. Decently made too.

JohnnyHockey13
03-25-2021, 08:41 PM
Off topic, but that Cabelas knife is an excellent value, I own four of em for the trailer, toolbox and tackle box. Decently made too.

Don't let the cops catch you with that thing though, they will CHARGE you!....or maybe not, you're a old white guy right? haha

- - - Updated - - -

I assume this came out of this incident in SF and then the whole end Asian racism hashtag over all social media/influencers and became MSM talking point last week:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-asian-grandma-attacked-in-sf-directing-donations-back-to-asian-community-20210324-zdoz2nhdqbeuniyjnoukphhqsm-story.html

I don't think Calgary has gone this far backward yet but when the world opened up again for travel, being Asian, I won't be lying if I won't look over my shoulder more often.

https://youtu.be/GeixtYS-P3s

This whining and bitching about racism is gonna make it worse.

There's way more cases that one....look up asian attacks on Reddit, there's lists floating around and it's almost a daily basis (mostly in Cali and NY). The implication has been that a lot of blacks are attacking Asians, but when I actually read through the stories, I'd say at least 50% are just robberies where the robbers just happen to be black and the victims are Asian. BUT, if you actually look at the racially motivated attacks, some of them are pretty shocking.

killramos
03-25-2021, 08:43 PM
For starters don’t be doing dumb shit that will encourage the cops to “catch you”.

If you are getting in shit for having a weapon, chances are you were doing something dumb to invite the scrutiny in the first place and you got thrown a weapons charge for being a dipshit.

JohnnyHockey13
03-25-2021, 08:46 PM
For starters don’t be doing dumb shit that will encourage the cops to “catch you”.

If you are getting in shit for having a weapon, chances are you were doing something dumb to invite the scrutiny in the first place and you got thrown a weapons charge for being a dipshit.

Oh of course, I was only joking...I haven't carried around one of these since I was 18, back then I just did it because I thought I was cool. These days I do it just in case I run into a nutjob...it could save my life one day.

mr2mike
03-26-2021, 07:51 AM

I carry my art project of 4 nuts I welded together in a pattern to show people I meet so they know I can weld things.

Also worst youtube instructional video yet and I've watched a lot of 90s bmw fix it videos.

https://youtu.be/UyzfBKk566Y

ThePenIsMightier
03-26-2021, 08:51 AM
I carry my art project of 4 nuts I welded together in a pattern to show people I meet so they know I can weld things.

Also worst youtube instructional video yet and I've watched a lot of 90s bmw fix it videos.

https://youtu.be/UyzfBKk566Y

I always thought your wife carried your nuts around in her pocket?

vengie
03-26-2021, 09:13 AM

Yes they did, because they are appeasing the social media mob.

#rememberHarambe

Tik-Tok
03-26-2021, 09:32 AM
My wife just uses a 100lbs dog to keep people at bay.

sabad66
03-26-2021, 09:48 AM

This is their latest statement on this matter:

TLDR: the data does not show any extraordinary spikes in crimes against women.

Now im sure some people would say that is because women aren’t reporting these incidents, but the next obvious question to that would be: why not?

Personally I don’t think there’s a big spike, it’s just that it seems like it because of social media. I.e. how many 16-24 year old girls out there do you think follow Calgary police or msm that would traditionally report factual information vs following Instagram stories from “Calgary events” or amp103 and then gets re-shared multiple times over?

Also before someone misconstrues my view on this, even 1 crime against women is unacceptable, but I just don’t buy that there is a major recent spike. I also fully support women staying extra diligent and carrying around dog spray for protection from “dogs”

killramos
03-26-2021, 09:58 AM
Social Media is cancer

JRSC00LUDE
03-26-2021, 11:07 AM
I always thought your wife carried your nuts around in her pocket?

That's some sweet edit.