PDA

View Full Version : Garage Light Upgrading

firebane
03-27-2021, 10:16 AM
So I am in need of upgrading my lights in the shop. When they were installed they just used 4 normal bulbs and unfortunately they have now all burnt out and I want to upgrade to LED lightning.

The issue I have though is my ceiling in the shop in this area is 20 feet or more so it means I would either need to rent a man lift or scaffolding to work on stuff.

The span across from the loft floor (where I am standing) to the far wall is about 16 feet so I was thinking of using an extension ladder to span this to do work in this area.

I'm not fully aware of what "rules" there are about ladders being used to span areas like this so I figured someone around here may know.

Picture for reference..

https://i.imgur.com/hOwzxfxl.jpg

ExtraSlow
03-27-2021, 10:28 AM
Ladders are not designed to be used horizontally. They are weaker than you think.

ThePenIsMightier
03-27-2021, 10:31 AM
Hard no.
*is engineering advise

Why not buy a super tall ladder? A couple members did just last week, I think. They were on sale at CT.

ExtraSlow
03-27-2021, 10:36 AM
A-frame ladder is good choice.

littledan
03-27-2021, 03:17 PM
Ladder falls are no joke. Agree with buying a proper height ladder or just hire someone to install the new led fixtures using the existing light junction boxes. Would probably not cost that much. Definitely not worth risking your life/future health

firebane
03-27-2021, 04:27 PM
Hard no.
*is engineering advise

Why not buy a super tall ladder? A couple members did just last week, I think. They were on sale at CT.

Just measured and peak is about 15 feet which makes a tall stretch for a ladder.

Ladder falls are no joke. Agree with buying a proper height ladder or just hire someone to install the new led fixtures using the existing light junction boxes. Would probably not cost that much. Definitely not worth risking your life/future health

I have spent many hours in ladders and scaffolding and take it seriously. I need a way that I can work up there when ever I need too and not call someone.

jwslam
03-27-2021, 04:37 PM
I have spent many hours in ladders and scaffolding and take it seriously. I need a way that I can work up there when ever I need too and not call someone.
Didn't know these things were so expensive, but probably what you're looking for
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/featherlite-telescoping-plank/1000510329?eid=PS_GO_140203__ALL_PLA-526641&pid=1000510329

littledan
03-27-2021, 06:03 PM

Fair enough. I would do it myself as well.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-multi-task-ladder-grade-1-21-ft-0613015p.html#srp

revelations
03-27-2021, 06:21 PM
You can build something sturdy out of lumber if you are inclined, or rent scaffolding.

Also, I was going to LEDfy my garage but then I saw these https://secure.img1-fg.wfcdn.com/im/22165939/resize-h800%5Ecompr-r85/1084/108431249/3+-+Light+Unique+/+Statement+Bulb+LED+Pendant.jpg and I just screwed in daylight white, LEDs and my garage life improved.

ExtraSlow
03-27-2021, 06:32 PM
I swear I had several posts about garage lighting...

BerserkerCatSplat
03-27-2021, 06:47 PM

Wasn't a MEGA THREAD, no care.

firebane
03-27-2021, 07:12 PM

This was more about finding a method to upgrade vs what to buy.

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough. I would do it myself as well.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-multi-task-ladder-grade-1-21-ft-0613015p.html#srp

That is only 11 feet in the A frame setup.

- - - Updated - - -

You can build something sturdy out of lumber if you are inclined, or rent scaffolding.

Also, I was going to LEDfy my garage but then I saw these https://secure.img1-fg.wfcdn.com/im/22165939/resize-h800%5Ecompr-r85/1084/108431249/3+-+Light+Unique+/+Statement+Bulb+LED+Pendant.jpg and I just screwed in daylight white, LEDs and my garage life improved.

Used those before and hate them. Already have the lights just need to hang them.

ThePenIsMightier
03-27-2021, 07:18 PM
Post 16508:
https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/50387-Post-your-latest-purchase

vengie just, just bought a 25-footer.
I knew I wasn't crazy!

firebane
03-27-2021, 07:29 PM
Post 16508:
https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/50387-Post-your-latest-purchase

vengie just, just bought a 25-footer.
I knew I wasn't crazy!

Yah only 11 feet for the A frame setup which you will never stand at the very top which still leaves a lot of height left. If you say 8 feet safely that is still 7 feet left.

I don't think there is any safe way other than scaffolding, so I will find something used and store it as there will be plenty of work up there.

Just thought there would be something quick.

vengie
03-27-2021, 08:13 PM
Rent a 16' a frame from Home Depot.

I did that to paint my previous house with 18' ceilings

AndyL
03-28-2021, 10:06 AM
I feel like I know this garage :)

Doors would have gone in with a little giant clone. Highly recommended, they're great for oddball access issues.

firebane
03-28-2021, 10:25 AM
I feel like I know this garage :)

Doors would have gone in with a little giant clone. Highly recommended, they're great for oddball access issues.

Both doors need work too lol. And the one side I am probably going to turn into a high lift variation.

littledan
05-15-2021, 11:27 AM
Anybody have some input on lighting up a 19x22' garage? I bought 6 5000lmn led 4' lights from princess auto. I am debating installing 4 or 6. 4 is easiest as I just put boxes in the 4 quadrants and call it a day. Debating adding the extra 2 in between but might be overkill. Thoughts?

ExtraSlow
05-15-2021, 11:58 AM
Install 4 and then see how you like it? :dunno:

cyra1ax
05-15-2021, 01:28 PM
Anybody have some input on lighting up a 19x22' garage? I bought 6 5000lmn led 4' lights from princess auto. I am debating installing 4 or 6. 4 is easiest as I just put boxes in the 4 quadrants and call it a day. Debating adding the extra 2 in between but might be overkill. Thoughts?

Comes in a green box right? I put 4 of them into my 24x24 and it lights it up pretty damn good. I just put a receptacle above each of the parking spots and had the lights about 5ft(cord length) away from the box.
Will probably add another one above my work area.

killramos
05-15-2021, 01:34 PM

Anyone notice these things fucking with your garage door opener signal?

Been having issues with my door opener in my car lately ( could be literally in the driveway and it won’t open ). Finally figured out the common denominator is when I have these lights turned on my issues become MUCH more frequent. And never used to have issues with my old shitty incandescents.

Is there any solution to this? Can I get extend the opener antenna closer to the door or something?

Part of the issue is the homelink opener in my car is definitely weak, it has this in common with my Last 2 series. But never had issues when the car is a foot from the door, range a bit lacking but that’s fine.

littledan
05-16-2021, 12:22 AM
I bought these 4' lights to replace the led tri-light that just died on me. I had some issues with garage door signal but I think it was unrelated to the tri-light as I would not have that light on. I did also put the standard bulb style led's in the opener itself so not sure if that is causing the issue but very possible as it seems to always be having a problem closing the door and not opening, I.e. when leds are on

firebane
05-26-2021, 08:18 PM
Picked this up for $100 and goes to 12 feet. Will be changing out lights soon.

firebane
05-27-2021, 01:51 PM
First row complete

suntan
05-27-2021, 02:13 PM

Been having issues with my door opener in my car lately ( could be literally in the driveway and it won’t open ). Finally figured out the common denominator is when I have these lights turned on my issues become MUCH more frequent. And never used to have issues with my old shitty incandescents.

Is there any solution to this? Can I get extend the opener antenna closer to the door or something?

Part of the issue is the homelink opener in my car is definitely weak, it has this in common with my Last 2 series. But never had issues when the car is a foot from the door, range a bit lacking but that’s fine.

Not surprised at all. Chinese made crap is crap.

Go full manual, put some solar panels on, they also interfere with garage door openers.

saiyajin
05-27-2021, 02:49 PM
- - - Updated - - -

i ordered my first pair from Amazon and same issue, if i had them on i couldn't open my garage door, pretty much kept tripping my breaker.

i then saw some at Costco and bought a pair of those and have not had any issues whatsoever and pretty happy with them :dunno: