PDA

View Full Version : Where to find resale/trade in values of older vehicle?

birdman86
03-31-2021, 04:20 PM
Thinking of selling my '04 Tacoma and on Kijiji, they're ranging anywhere from $4K all the way to $13K and I have no idea what they're actually selling at. And the ads are all less than a month old. Anybody know where I can find actual selling values?

Mitsu3000gt
03-31-2021, 04:23 PM
Other than ebay completed sales listings, I don't know how you could possibly find out what private sales are actually selling for.

Start on the high end and slowly lower the price until it sells - the market will decide regardless.

ExtraSlow
03-31-2021, 04:30 PM
That's a little too old for black book too. Tips, make sure you have the best pictures and clearest description and that you are not priced the highest. The responses will tell you within 1 week how your price is.

Mitsu3000gt
03-31-2021, 04:36 PM
To expand on ES' point above, honestly just putting in a bit of effort cleaning it will probably get you another $1000+. It's stunning how many people don't even bother to clean cars they are trying to sell, so it's easy to make yours stand out to anyone shopping around.

Also if you look at dealer pricing for comparables, that should help give you an idea of what the price ceiling should be. That being said it might be too old for a dealer to have on their lot - many of them just send cars older than ~7 years or so to auction.

bjstare
03-31-2021, 04:43 PM
This (obviously) isn't a definitive source, but another data point is always good: http://www.vmrcanada.com/used-car/values/2004-toyota-tacoma.html

Like others have said, market will decide. Unless you're in a rush to sell, price 5-10% under the comps (condition, options, mileage) then weekly price drops til interest goes up.

gmc72
04-05-2021, 08:29 AM
I use AutoTrader.ca. They have a tool to give you a range for your vehicle, either trading it in or selling it privately. Not sure how accurate it is, but it gives you and idea at least.