PDA

View Full Version : MLB Opening Day Today! 2021 Season Underway Megathread

tirebob
04-01-2021, 09:57 AM
So any other baseball fans out there happy to see the return of MLB? The league is expecting to play a full 162 game season this year, and I hope they can pull it off. Any thoughts? Predictions? It will be interesting I think. With covid protocols not allowing crossing the borders for play into Canada, the Jays will be playing their home games at their spring training facility in Dunedin Florida, but otherwise it's an all go!

Anyhow, Play Ball!!

ExtraSlow
04-01-2021, 09:59 AM
I'm not any kind of serious fan, but I do think Baseball is perhaps the greatest game in the world to listen to on the radio. The pacing makes it really easy to follow while driving or working etc. I like that.

Does sound like the Jays will be a fun team this year too. Lot of offence.

tirebob
04-01-2021, 10:21 AM
I'm not any kind of serious fan, but I do think Baseball is perhaps the greatest game in the world to listen to on the radio. The pacing makes it really easy to follow while driving or working etc. I like that.

Does sound like the Jays will be a fun team this year too. Lot of offence.Agreed on all counts... Either radio or on TV, having a game on is always my go-to background relaxation noise and boredom reliever. The Jays do look to be fun to follow this year for sure. The bullpen may be a little weaker than preferred but overall I think they will do well. That said, I am really not a fanboy of any specific team as much as I like watching any good matchup and would rather watch the specific players do their thing rather than just blindly subscribe to a team.

ExtraSlow
04-01-2021, 10:24 AM
I think I'd better cheer for the Rockies, and that's the one place I may be able to get to a game in person. Are they any good?

tirebob
04-01-2021, 10:38 AM
I think I'd better cheer for the Rockies, and that's the one place I may be able to get to a game in person. Are they any good?Not a lot expected of them this year at all unfortunately...

sexualbanana
04-02-2021, 12:19 AM
Bases loaded with 1 out and Judge hits into a double-play. FML.

Buster
04-02-2021, 02:41 AM
I;m a big fan. If I can, I have the game on one of my extra monitors.

tirebob
04-02-2021, 11:46 AM
I stayed out of this thread for a bit because my power went out just after lunch and didn't come on until late last night and I wanted to watch the Jays opener game with no spoilers and boy am I glad I did! Wow that was a fantastic game! Great start to the season... So much depth pitching!

jutes
04-02-2021, 12:25 PM
Jays playing in Florida will have the same fans as they would in Toronto. I’m sure the players would prefer Florida over Toronto anyway.

sexualbanana
04-07-2021, 01:59 PM
Jays playing in Florida will have the same fans as they would in Toronto. I’m sure the players would prefer Florida over Toronto anyway.

They play summer months anyways, so it's not like they have to contend with winters. It's actually probably more of a drag in the Florida humidity.

tirebob
04-15-2021, 07:52 AM
Anyone watch Carlos Rodon throw a no hitter for the White Sox last night?? It was fantastic! Second to last batter he was almost all the way to a perfect game when he clipped the batters foot. That would have been insane if he got that perfect game but he still managed to get the no hitter which is nuts enough!

Great season in MLB so far!

Buster
04-15-2021, 08:01 AM
Anyone watch Carlos Rodon throw a no hitter for the White Sox last night?? It was fantastic! Second to last batter he was almost all the way to a perfect game when he clipped the batters foot. That would have been insane if he got that perfect game but he still managed to get the no hitter which is nuts enough!

Great season in MLB so far!

watched the highlights. he seems to be a pretty good dude as well

max_boost
09-30-2023, 12:50 PM
Blue jays can clinch today
I just wanna see them spray the bubbles

max_boost
09-30-2023, 04:04 PM
Crap not yet
Maybe the mariners will lose later

jutes
09-30-2023, 04:54 PM
Getting really sick of George Constanza behind the plate grounding into double plays.

max_boost
09-30-2023, 09:13 PM
So did the jays squad watch the mariners game in the clubhouse?
When they gonna spray champagne? After tmr’s game?
Haha that’s my fave part of mlb, spray bubbles just for making playoffs lol they celebrate like they just won the whole thing.
Its dope tho as they celebrate so hard for every round haha

Darkane
10-01-2023, 03:12 PM
So did the jays squad watch the mariners game in the clubhouse?
When they gonna spray champagne? After tmr’s game?
Haha that’s my fave part of mlb, spray bubbles just for making playoffs lol they celebrate like they just won the whole thing.
Its dope tho as they celebrate so hard for every round haha

Yeah, they overdo it. It takes away from the actual prize at the end.

The_Penguin
10-01-2023, 06:26 PM
They partied after losing their last regular season game like they won the World Series.
Someone forgot that in the last 2 wildcard series they had 0 wins.

max_boost
10-01-2023, 07:20 PM
Haha I only pay attention to the jays
I think they got a good chance to beat the twins that’s for sure

The_Penguin
10-04-2023, 05:34 PM

max_boost
10-04-2023, 05:35 PM
Yawn
Oh well

Buster
10-04-2023, 05:35 PM
Vlad is just a terrible player.

And fat.

The_Penguin
10-04-2023, 05:39 PM
None, and done.

2Legit2Quit
10-04-2023, 05:44 PM
Fucking bums. Actually blow it up, top to bottom.

Buster
10-04-2023, 06:14 PM
1 run in 18 innings. Lol

Team_Mclaren
10-04-2023, 06:47 PM
analytics is so fucking stupid. Tempa pullling Snell in the world series and TO with Berrios today are both stupid af

ThePenIsMightier
10-04-2023, 06:56 PM
I heard a DJ on Cjay yesterday morning say "there's a lot of talk that these Blue Jays could be going all the way to the World Series".
I nearly crashed on Memorial Drive! RoFL LoL!!! Yeah, "lots of talk" about a team that sucked hard enough to require another team to lose in order for them to squeak into the last pseudo-spot in the playoffs.
You'd better get your hopes up!

jutes
10-04-2023, 07:59 PM
analytics is so fucking stupid. Tempa pullling Snell in the world series and TO with Berrios today are both stupid af

Was a stupid move but if you can’t score runs you’ll eventually lose.

vengie
10-04-2023, 08:41 PM
When do the playoffs start for the Jays?

ExtraSlow
10-04-2023, 08:53 PM

The_Penguin
10-04-2023, 09:03 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ExtraSlow again.

rage2
10-04-2023, 10:42 PM

And fat.
That was a hilariously bad play. But he’s skinny compared to Kirk haha.

littledan
10-05-2023, 12:14 AM
When you champagne celebrate like ret reds for getting into the wildcard you are bound to lose.

Im also very tired of these elaborate celebrations and schoolgirl dancing by outfielders when they win a game or the fucken gun signs in the air to the bench when they hit a squib single. Ffs.

Team_Mclaren
10-05-2023, 12:49 AM
When you champagne celebrate like ret reds for getting into the wildcard you are bound to lose.

Im also very tired of these elaborate celebrations and schoolgirl dancing by outfielders when they win a game or the fucken gun signs in the air to the bench when they hit a squib single. Ffs.

Thats a baseball thing, and then people bitch about the homerun jacket or bat flip.... like fuck make up your mind. It's such a weird "sport"

Gman.45
10-05-2023, 07:56 AM

Agreed - you should have heard my father when Toronto pulled Berrios, he was yelling at his TV for 5 minutes (he's 76). Such a stupid, stupid decision. Why pull him when he was throwing so hot. You should never take away a positive to replace it with the unknown IMO. Jays had a pitcher that showed no sign of deterioration, and they decide to kill their own momentum with that, to replace him with a pitcher who will be having an unknown performance. Crazy not to stick with Berrios. Crazy after issuing just that one walk, which did come around to score, but Berrios was still throwing fire. Jays coach is taking heat in the media, and so he should.

I mean I get it that when they pulled Berrios, the next 3 batters were all either left batting or switch hitters, and that Berrios statistically had poorer performance over the whole year vs left hand hitters over right, but JFC, there are times when you shouldn't just "go with the stats/numbers", and simply observe how hot a pitcher is in that single game.

Darkane
10-05-2023, 08:25 AM

Don’t forget unbuttoned jerseys to show 2 or 3 massive chains. What the hell is with that?

vengie
10-05-2023, 08:29 AM
Baseball is silly.

rage2
10-05-2023, 09:05 AM
Agreed - you should have heard my father when Toronto pulled Berrios, he was yelling at his TV for 5 minutes (he's 76). Such a stupid, stupid decision. Why pull him when he was throwing so hot. You should never take away a positive to replace it with the unknown IMO. Jays had a pitcher that showed no sign of deterioration, and they decide to kill their own momentum with that, to replace him with a pitcher who will be having an unknown performance. Crazy not to stick with Berrios. Crazy after issuing just that one walk, which did come around to score, but Berrios was still throwing fire. Jays coach is taking heat in the media, and so he should.

I mean I get it that when they pulled Berrios, the next 3 batters were all either left batting or switch hitters, and that Berrios statistically had poorer performance over the whole year vs left hand hitters over right, but JFC, there are times when you shouldn't just "go with the stats/numbers", and simply observe how hot a pitcher is in that single game.
It was funny to see them make the same mistake as last year. At least it wasn’t 8-1 lead this time. :rofl:

killramos
10-05-2023, 09:13 AM
Baseball people are silly.

ftfy

ExtraSlow
10-05-2023, 09:24 AM
Baseball looks like the most fun professional sport to play. Good salaries, even for bottom of the roster players, and all sorts of silliness to enjoy.

There's around a thousand players tracked by the first site I found on goodle, about half of those make between the 720K and 1 million levels. The next 125 make between 1 and 3 million, and then the top 250 players start to make really big money, where it goes up very rapidly.

The league as a total pays out around 5 billy a year on salaries, injured reserve, retained earnings and buried salaries.

Anywhoooo, the jays aren't great, but at least they are having fun.

Team_Mclaren
10-05-2023, 10:07 AM

I'd argue that pulling Snell in the world series is worse. But this is a close second.

Buster
10-05-2023, 10:08 AM
Baseball is a bit unwatchable with all of the analytics BS.

jutes
10-05-2023, 10:25 AM
Don’t forget unbuttoned jerseys to show 2 or 3 massive chains. What the hell is with that?

Classic HoodRat behavior.

rage2
10-05-2023, 12:54 PM
Classic HoodRat behavior.

Darkane
10-05-2023, 06:33 PM
Approved

sexualbanana
10-06-2023, 09:52 AM

And fat.

I missed most of the game but managed to see that pick-off in while passing by a TV. Antonelli had a pretty good breakdown on the move. It sounds like a combination of crowd noise and communication (breakdown for the Jays and execution by the Twins).

https://youtu.be/ZB084DrEwaI?si=pxaEazIsg3a_RpO8

Meh. Modern baseball has a weird mix of north american players who grew up under the hammer of 'act like you've been there before', while latin american players grew up with 'baseball is a game and games should be fun'. I like the latter.