PDA

View Full Version : Revive Northern Gateway Pipeline?

ExtraSlow
04-03-2021, 03:02 PM
I can't see it happening for political reasons, but these dudes lay out a case for the federal government taking over ownership and constructing the Northern Gateway Pipeline.
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/opinion-with-keystone-cancelled-we-must-resuscitate-northern-gateway

Buster
04-03-2021, 03:03 PM
Nothing will happen to benefit Alberta unless there is a DIRECT benefit to Ontario/Quebec. I don't mean overall economic gain, I mean a direct colonial style benefit.

ExtraSlow
04-03-2021, 03:09 PM
Maybe instead of the federales owning the pipeline, it could be owned 20% by BC, 30% by Ontario and 50% by Quebec. Then they'd get all the profits. #genius

kertejud2
04-03-2021, 03:19 PM
Nothing will happen to benefit Alberta unless there is a DIRECT benefit to Ontario/Quebec. I don't mean overall economic gain, I mean a direct colonial style benefit.

What was the direct benefit to Ontario and Quebec for purchasing and building TMX that doesn't also exist for Northern Gateway?

Buster
04-03-2021, 03:39 PM
What was the direct benefit to Ontario and Quebec for purchasing and building TMX that doesn't also exist for Northern Gateway?

You're talking about the past, I'm talking about the future.

kertejud2
04-03-2021, 03:42 PM
You're talking about the past, I'm talking about the future.

Why didn't these conditions exist in the past and what changed to make them exist in the future?

Buster
04-03-2021, 03:44 PM
Why didn't these conditions exist in the past and what changed to make them exist in the future?

Why is the sky blue?

killramos
04-03-2021, 03:44 PM
Pipelines are inherently evil, and racist.

kertejud2
04-03-2021, 03:55 PM
Why is the sky blue?

Atmosphere conditions changed in the atmosphere to cause the Rayleigh scattering of light particles to go from orange to blue.

What were the conditions that changed that now, and not in the past, to require "DIRECT" benefit for Ontario/Quebec to buy an export pipeline?

These conditions would exist in an independent Alberta as well, so it's vital we know.

killramos
04-03-2021, 03:58 PM
For starters, Transmountain pipeline was an existing, solvent, and cash flowing asset that couldn’t be easily shut down. Oh yea and BC would be Fubar’d without it and Trudeau wanted some seats there.

Unlike Northern Gateway, which is none of those things, and has minimal impact to the lifestyles of the lower mainland.

Buster
04-03-2021, 04:02 PM
Atmosphere conditions changed in the atmosphere to cause the Rayleigh scattering of light particles to go from orange to blue.

What were the conditions that changed that now, and not in the past, to require "DIRECT" benefit for Ontario/Quebec to buy an export pipeline?

These conditions would exist in an independent Alberta as well, so it's vital we know.

The retardation of the Canadian politician (really the Canadian populace) is an ongoing process. Their state of retard is not static.

By asking a "why" question, you're asking me to delve into the gross, yet shallow psyche of the average Canadian.

kertejud2
04-03-2021, 04:02 PM
For starters, Transmountain pipeline was an existing, solvent, and cash flowing asset that couldn’t be easily shut down.

Unlike Northern Gateway, which is none of those things.

This sounds like overall economic benefit from the past, and not the new, direct colonial style benefit that Ontario and Quebec DIRECTLY need to allow it to happen that popped up in the past three years.

killramos
04-03-2021, 04:05 PM
This sounds like overall economic benefit from the past, and not the new, direct colonial style benefit that Ontario and Quebec DIRECTLY need to allow it to happen that popped up in the past three years.

How is a future cash flowing asset “economic benefit from the past”?

To me, it seems like Trudeau was trying to play investment banker with the public pocket book, badly.

kertejud2
04-03-2021, 04:16 PM
How is a future cash flowing asset “economic benefit from the past”?

Not my rules, ask Buster.

It was bought in the past, when traditional things like future cash flows were acceptable to the provinces of Ontario and Quebec. But not anymore, for some reason.

To me, it seems like Trudeau was trying to play investment banker with the public pocket book, badly.

But the article by an investment banker being paid a quarter of a million dollars a year by the Alberta government to promote energy investment saying what Trudeau did was a "model" that they need to replicate again. Who to believe?!

Buster
04-03-2021, 04:43 PM
Not my rules, ask Buster.

It was bought in the past, when traditional things like future cash flows were acceptable to the provinces of Ontario and Quebec. But not anymore, for some reason.

But the article by an investment banker being paid a quarter of a million dollars a year by the Alberta government to promote energy investment saying what Trudeau did was a "model" that they need to replicate again. Who to believe?!

Sometimes I wonder whether it is your reading or your writing that is at fault.

kertejud2
04-03-2021, 05:14 PM
Sometimes I wonder whether it is your reading or your writing that is at fault.

The fault is obviously with Ontario and Quebec, because when one can always point to Ontario and Quebec, they never have to look at any fault of their own.

SKR
04-03-2021, 05:54 PM
We'd be stupid as a country to not dam the Fraser river, fill it with oil and send it to the coast. If we're not allowed to ship by pipeline or rail, rivers are the next best option. Followed by airplanes, and finally just launching oil over BC with a cannon.

ZenOps
04-03-2021, 07:32 PM
Nah, just chew up really long strips of paper, put in one end of the pipeline, then blow some air in it.

Pipeline becomes world record spitball. Profit.

suntan
04-03-2021, 07:50 PM
We'd be stupid as a country to not dam the Fraser river, fill it with oil and send it to the coast. If we're not allowed to ship by pipeline or rail, rivers are the next best option. Followed by airplanes, and finally just launching oil over BC with a cannon.
Well we could launch explosives into BC with a cannon.

ExtraSlow
04-03-2021, 08:10 PM

SKR
04-04-2021, 08:42 AM
Maybe we could look at a bucket brigade, if there are still enough laid off people to reach the coast.