PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye Nenshi!

Kjonus
04-06-2021, 05:23 PM
Not sorry to see you go!

https://livewirecalgary.com/2021/04/06/mayor-nenshi-election-calgary-mayor/

Tik-Tok
04-06-2021, 05:24 PM
Had to check the date on that. Phew. Don't let the purple dildo hit you on the way out.

killramos
04-06-2021, 05:33 PM
Nice to see some good news today.

kertejud2
04-06-2021, 05:39 PM
Pretty sure the only people who thought he was running again were the people Chandler and his cronies were able to dupe donations out of.

sabad66
04-06-2021, 05:53 PM
I hope Larry heather runs again. I’d vote for him before farkas.

nzwasp
04-06-2021, 05:58 PM
Maybe he will run for premier

Disoblige
04-06-2021, 06:00 PM
We just need fat fuck Joe Magliocca to quit, or choke on a sausage to his end. Whichever comes sooner.

kertejud2
04-06-2021, 06:02 PM
I hope Larry heather runs again. I’d vote for him before farkas.

The only thing that would stop Larry from running in an election is the Rapture.

tirebob
04-06-2021, 06:04 PM
Jesus is this finally some good news coming out after the last twelve months of crap?? TSN turning point?

ExtraSlow
04-06-2021, 06:08 PM
Mar and Zenops are running.

Shlade
04-06-2021, 06:14 PM
First that old hag Farrel, now Nenshi... This is not the news we need... Rather the news we deserve.

suntan
04-06-2021, 06:15 PM
I should run for mayor.

TomcoPDR
Mar and Zenops are running.

In a perfect world, they should collab... ones Minister of transport, the other Minister of finance.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
Heard it while getting my hair cut, almost cheered and caused myself to get a nice shaved head.

Disoblige
04-06-2021, 06:17 PM
If Mar becomes mayor, he will ask council a ton of questions and not listen to any of them. It would be so comical.

MalibuStacy
04-06-2021, 06:18 PM
Outing myself as usual, but I am gonna miss our purple giant. I am often opposite to most of the pro-conservative beyond.ca, I approved of much of what Nenshi did, one of the few government officials I have actually really liked.

suntan
04-06-2021, 06:18 PM
If Mar becomes mayor, he will ask council a ton of questions and not listen to any of them. It would be so comical.
So, a typical politician then.

D'z Nutz
04-06-2021, 06:20 PM

And then randomly bring it back up 2 years later when everyone else has moved on.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-06-2021, 06:20 PM
Nenshi's getting out because he knows the next budget is going to need huge tax increases and he doesn't want his name on it.

ExtraSlow
04-06-2021, 06:21 PM
Nenshi's getting out because he knows the next budget is going to need huge tax increases and he doesn't want his name on it.
Shrewd move.

suntan
04-06-2021, 06:33 PM

Winner winner chicken dinner.

But unfortunately for him, politics is his only career path now. Someone might be stupid enough to hire him in the private sector but he'll lose that job rather quickly.

So wherever he lands up he'll have to deal with huge tax increases anyhow.

Kjonus
04-06-2021, 06:44 PM

Too bad we couldn't use that logic with Trudope

mr2mike
04-06-2021, 07:14 PM
First that old hag Farrel, now Nenshi... This is not the news we need... Rather the news we deserve.

I'll say it again, they checked the pockets of Calgarians and it is now empty... Their service is complete.

dirtsniffer
04-06-2021, 07:18 PM

Truth.

vengie
04-06-2021, 07:30 PM
I said it in another thread.
Nenshi for NDP provincially and Notley will go federal

Anomaly
04-06-2021, 07:36 PM
Nah, I'm betting Federal Liberal party. He could plausibly win them a Calgary riding

killramos
04-06-2021, 07:44 PM
How is a Calgarian in an unwinnable riding an asset to the federal NDP?

Cagare
04-06-2021, 08:15 PM
Nah, I'm betting Federal Liberal party. He could plausibly win them a Calgary riding

You're a funny guy.

Federal NDP I think he has more of a shot than the Liberals. Although either level of politics is a possibility with him.

littledan
04-06-2021, 08:34 PM
Interesting that cryveson here in edmonton and nenshi in calgary are both not running again

Xtrema
04-06-2021, 08:38 PM
Interesting that cryveson here in edmonton and nenshi in calgary are both not running again

Same reason Bronco quit. Gravy train stops.

So are the only choices right now 1st gay mayor or 1st female mayor?

mr2mike
04-06-2021, 09:08 PM

They love him out east. Panders to them and fits Liberal and NDP optics.

Xtrema
04-06-2021, 09:28 PM
They love him out east. Panders to them and fits Liberal and NDP optics.

Calgary Centre was 60/30 split. Kent Hehr with all the bad news and kicked out of cabinet still commended 30% votes in 2019. I can see Nenshi can put up a fight as a Lib in Calgary Centre.

Tik-Tok
04-06-2021, 09:33 PM

killramos
04-06-2021, 09:38 PM
Calgary Centre was 60/30 split. Kent Hehr with all the bad news and kicked out of cabinet still commended 30% votes in 2019. I can see Nenshi can put up a fight as a Lib in Calgary Centre.

And go from being king of shit palace to a nobody MP from Alberta?

Why.

Xtrema
04-06-2021, 10:01 PM

Why.

Dude is 49, plenty of time to climb that ladder. Worst case, he get 2 sweet pensions and then go slum it teaching public policy or something.

davidI
04-07-2021, 01:45 AM
So funny seeing the responses here vs. on Reddit where it seems the r/Calgary thread is full of Nenshi fan girls.

I wonder if their perspective will change when they have to start paying taxes.

finboy
04-07-2021, 02:42 AM
So funny seeing the responses here vs. on Reddit where it seems the r/Calgary thread is full of Nenshi fan girls.

I just assumed most of r/calgary don’t pay taxes

ianmcc
04-07-2021, 04:45 AM

Yes to the federal Libs.
No to running for office.

SJW
04-07-2021, 05:50 AM
We just need fat fuck Joe Magliocca to quit, or choke on a sausage to his end. Whichever comes sooner.

Maybe him and Nenshi can both choke on sausages. Kill two birds with one stone.

killramos
04-07-2021, 07:56 AM
I just assumed most of r/calgary don’t pay taxes

Not will they ever.

Lex350
04-07-2021, 08:11 AM

OH yeah r/calgary has always been a Nenshi circle jerk.

kertejud2
04-07-2021, 08:26 AM

Why.

If the party forms a government, he'd be made a cabinet minister, which would bring policy influence and be a nice raise on being mayor. The low end risk is only getting paid slightly less than being mayor but longer base term and get to gladhand with more connections for a public speaking circuit later.

Might as well ask "Why would somebody look to take a higher paying job with better benefits at a bigger company with room to advance?"

sabad66
04-07-2021, 08:40 AM
If the party forms a government, he'd be made a cabinet minister, which would bring policy influence and be a nice raise on being mayor. The low end risk is only getting paid slightly less than being mayor but longer base term and get to gladhand with more connections for a public speaking circuit later.

Might as well ask "Why would somebody look to take a higher paying job with better benefits at a bigger company with room to advance?"

On the other side of the coin, what are your thoughts around a backbencher MP like Michelle Rempel leaving Ottawa and running for mayor? Would that be a “demotion” for her?

Thaco
04-07-2021, 08:45 AM
Outing myself as usual, but I am gonna miss our purple giant. I am often opposite to most of the pro-conservative beyond.ca, I approved of much of what Nenshi did, one of the few government officials I have actually really liked.

you're not alone, most of us are just smart enough to stay quiet so we don't get shanked. lol

kertejud2
04-07-2021, 08:50 AM
On the other side of the coin, what are your thoughts around a backbencher MP like Michelle Rempel leaving Ottawa and running for mayor? Would that be a “demotion” for her?

For somebody like Rempel, yes. She has a job for life being the MP representing Oklahoma. Just drink wine, spew whatever gets the base going, get donations for the party ensuring she'll never get challenged for the seat, repeat. Doesn't have to engage with a single constituent if she doesn't want to, doesn't even need to be present in the city. As mayor she'd need to actually work to get elected and re-elected and need to engage constantly and actually live here regualrly enough to chair all the committees and run council meetings.

Going from a conservative Calgary MP to anything municipal is a massive step back in job security and a big increase in work. Not sure why anybody would do it. Rempel also isn't a backbencher, she's a former cabinet minister and shadow cabinet minister, and has her own brand within the party. An actual backbencher, maybe a single-term MP without much prospects who is disillusioned by the lack of influence could see it as something, but still doubtful.

schurchill39
04-07-2021, 09:00 AM
Does this having anything to do with the recent lawsuits?

you're not alone, most of us are just smart enough to stay quiet so we don't get shanked. lol

Found them boys! Get your shanking sticks!

Xtrema
04-07-2021, 09:12 AM
Does this having anything to do with the recent lawsuits?

10 years in a gig is a long ass time. I doubt his heart was in it even before the lawsuits. But I bet that finding people willing to put up $ to front him for another run is probably a lot harder this time around.

And it won't be easy picking up after COVID is done.

sabad66
04-07-2021, 09:19 AM
For somebody like Rempel, yes. She has a job for life being the MP representing Oklahoma. Just drink wine, spew whatever gets the base going, get donations for the party ensuring she'll never get challenged for the seat, repeat. Doesn't have to engage with a single constituent if she doesn't want to, doesn't even need to be present in the city. As mayor she'd need to actually work to get elected and re-elected and need to engage constantly and actually live here regualrly enough to chair all the committees and run council meetings.

Going from a conservative Calgary MP to anything municipal is a massive step back in job security and a big increase in work. Not sure why anybody would do it. Rempel also isn't a backbencher, she's a former cabinet minister and shadow cabinet minister, and has her own brand within the party. An actual backbencher, maybe a single-term MP without much prospects who is disillusioned by the lack of influence could see it as something, but still doubtful.

Good points. Someone in one of my group chats mentioned her and I thought it kinda made sense but forgot she was a cabinet minister before.

Manhattan
04-07-2021, 09:30 AM
What exactly is the problem people have with Nenshi? Residential taxes are on par with other large Canadian cities and he's done a pretty good job of developing downtown/east village/central library and provided strong leadership during the flood/recessions/covid. Been against urban sprawl and home builders trying to influence city council decisions (sprawl is terrible for cities and arguably puts more stress on city finances than anything else). I get that he comes off as arrogant sometimes but he's had a successful run as mayor under the circumstances and going out on his own terms.

ExtraSlow
04-07-2021, 09:35 AM
10 years, will be 11 by the time he leaves, is a long time to be the public face of anything. Hockey coaches don't last that long, CEO of a public company doesn't often last that long. You can say a lot of things about Nahed Nenshi, but he knew how to run a campaign, and he was good at communicating his message. He won three times with pretty respectable margins.

I disagree with him on many things, but I salute anyone who goes into public service the way he did.

suntan
04-07-2021, 09:54 AM
What exactly is the problem people have with Nenshi? Residential taxes are on par with other large Canadian cities and he's done a pretty good job of developing downtown/east village/central library and provided strong leadership during the flood/recessions/covid. Been against urban sprawl and home builders trying to influence city council decisions (sprawl is terrible for cities and arguably puts more stress on city finances than anything else). I get that he comes off as arrogant sometimes but he's had a successful run as mayor under the circumstances and going out on his own terms.

It seemed that the only way to revitalize the "inner city" was to substantially raise property taxes.

So the area that the usual property tax buffoons keep saying is the net contributor really isn't.

Good jorb.

It does goes to show that any nonsensical message can be bleated about and accepted.

rage2
04-07-2021, 10:00 AM
I will admit he’s done a decent job. My problem with him is the approach. Would there have been a better person for the job? Probably not. I still don’t like him haha.

I do feel we went a little too far in urban development. Yes, sprawl is terrible for sustainability, but forcing it down did not change people’s desire for more space. I feel bad for condo owners, but hey they have a ton of amenities to enjoy at everyone’s expense. I guess I should like him for where we’re at now since SFH prices and demand has skyrocketed haha.

Cagare
04-07-2021, 10:13 AM
The problem is that Nenshi is a loudmouth who has been a terrible chairman at council meetings. He has not worked to build consensus and he's part of the reason that this Council had to go to sessions on how to work together.

He is responsible for the discourse we now find ourselves in. Good mayor's manage the council and make sure everyone feels heard and maintains harmony while steering the ship.

He has repeatedly shown he cannot do this. He does the same thing in negotiating with outside parties. He initially blew up negotiations with the Flames and he did not manage the olympics properly at all. He can't get along with the Province either and negotiate better that way. He can't get away from his positions for the betterment of the city.

I could go on. The only positive side of his personality is that he is an authoritarian so he dealt well with the flood. He's been riding that wave for the past 8 years, it wore out 3 years ago.

suntan
04-07-2021, 10:26 AM
He burned a lot of bridges in this job. He's always been an a-hole and a creep, so that's not really a surprise.

He also fostered the culture of rampant sexual harassment that goes on at the CoC.

JRSC00LUDE
04-07-2021, 10:29 AM
He also fostered the culture of rampant sexual harassment that goes on at the CoC.

So he's a shoe-in with JT.

killramos
04-07-2021, 10:30 AM
I love the rhetoric about “pushing back on developers” while approving dozens of new developments a year.

Has sprawl slowed down at all under Nenshi? He’s been the biggest advocate for trying to absorb all of Calgary’s surrounding communities into his little fiefdom.

I mean I guess he got into a little libel fight with a developer, pretty sure that has more to do with him being an asshole who doesn’t play nice with others than a “push” back on developers.

suntan
04-07-2021, 10:39 AM
Yeah but the streets are less wide.

A true win.

Manhattan
04-07-2021, 10:46 AM
So does beyond want Farkas? Looks like Gondek is somewhat a continuation of what Nenshi has been doing. All the other candidates look to be a nuthouse.

suntan
04-07-2021, 10:47 AM
Gondek's little pamphlet in the mail was full of vague talking points.

So I'm sure she'll win.

killramos
04-07-2021, 10:49 AM
Gondek is a nutcase.

I could live with Farkas. Basically whoever advocates for firing the most City of Calgary employees. I welcome someone to propose cutting deeper than Farkas.

Drain the swamp.

ExtraSlow
04-07-2021, 10:50 AM
Who are the front runners here?

mr2mike
04-07-2021, 10:53 AM
10 years, will be 11 by the time he leaves, is a long time to be the public face of anything.
Can measure his tenure like tree rings.
His radius.

Feel free to vote here:
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/more/poll-results

Xtrema
04-07-2021, 10:55 AM
I love the rhetoric about “pushing back on developers” while approving dozens of new developments a year.

Has sprawl slowed down at all under Nenshi? He’s been the biggest advocate for trying to absorb all of Calgary’s surrounding communities into his little fiefdom.

I mean I guess he got into a little libel fight with a developer, pretty sure that has more to do with him being an asshole who doesn’t play nice with others than a “push” back on developers.

He picked a fight when the core was paying the bills. Once downtown is vacated, he has no choice keep developers happy to keep the Ponzi Scheme going to keep taxes low.

https://youtu.be/7IsMeKl-Sv0

kertejud2
04-07-2021, 11:27 AM

Farkas and Gondek.

Both are pro-developer, pro-spending money candidates. One pretends they aren't but still votes that way, the other doesn't promote it but also votes that way.

rage2
04-07-2021, 12:44 PM
Yes and no. New communities have been green lit (not sure how much compared to historic growth) but they’re all mixed mid density instead of the typical all SFH low density zoning.

killramos
04-07-2021, 01:07 PM
Yes and no. New communities have been green lit (not sure how much compared to historic growth) but they’re all mixed mid density instead of the typical all SFH low density zoning.

Who doesn’t want to live in a condo in mahogany.

suntan
04-07-2021, 01:09 PM

I think Parkland was the last community that was 100% SFH zoned. So you're off by about 50 years.

rage2
04-07-2021, 04:10 PM
I think Parkland was the last community that was 100% SFH zoned. So you're off by about 50 years.
Sorry, higher mixed density? haha

94boosted
04-07-2021, 04:24 PM
He initially blew up negotiations with the Flames and he did not manage the olympics properly at all. He can't get along with the Province either and negotiate better that way. He can't get away from his positions for the betterment of the city.

Agreed. I wouldn't call the Green Line project a smashing success either.

suntan
04-07-2021, 04:30 PM

I see little difference in communities like Mahogany and, say, Tuscany.

kertejud2
04-07-2021, 04:37 PM

It was the end of the "sprawl subsidy" that was notable. Pre-2011 the city covered the construction of new infrastructure to service new neighborhoods. Between 2011 and 2015 levies covered 50% and then they were increased more to cover those costs. Didn't fix the operational shortfall that would pop up when the infrastructure was built and had to be maintained but the neighborhood wasn't yet built out to fund it, but even with the developer friendly math of the 2000s, it still saves the city tens of millions of dollars for each development cycle, but brings in hundreds of millions per development cycle.

That's a lot of bike lanes.

The new levies also do have perks for higher density as well, beyond the obvious one of more units serviced by fewer lane km of roads and fewer linear feet of sewer and water pipe provides better returns for the people who need to build them.

mr2mike
04-07-2021, 08:07 PM

https://youtu.be/J9g4YsGpO-A

Tik-Tok
04-07-2021, 10:13 PM
Anyone want to vote for me? I promise to do whatever it takes to gain personal wealth, while being far more competent about hiding it than Joe.

Also I'll year down the recycling plant and build a race track there.

mr2mike
04-07-2021, 10:18 PM
It seemed that the only way to revitalize the "inner city" was to substantially raise property taxes.

So the area that the usual property tax buffoons keep saying is the net contributor really isn't.

Good jorb.

It does goes to show that any nonsensical message can be bleated about and accepted.

My property taxes up over 50% thanks to Spend-Shi.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone want to vote for me? I promise to do whatever it takes to gain personal wealth, while being far more competent about hiding it than Joe.

Also I'll year down the recycling plant and build a race track there.

Recycling plant? You mean secondary dump?

I'd vote for you. Urban race track. Revitalize the downtown.
San Francisco Rush style

OTown
04-08-2021, 02:27 AM
So does beyond want Farkas? Looks like Gondek is somewhat a continuation of what Nenshi has been doing. All the other candidates look to be a nuthouse.

I'm likely going with Farkas. He seems to have a pretty common sense approach to things

darthVWader
04-08-2021, 02:56 AM
Governor General Nenshi is another rumor. As well as the above mentioned replacement for Cunt Hair.

suntan
04-08-2021, 06:55 AM
GG Nenshi would be great. Total lack of power, and he’s going to be dead soon anyhow due to his weight.

ExtraSlow
04-08-2021, 06:58 AM
I thought the GG needed next time to be a good and fair boss and collaborative manager? Nenshi ain't those.

suntan
04-08-2021, 07:24 AM
It’s almost entirely a ceremonial role now.

SJW
04-08-2021, 08:24 AM

WIth loose expenses so he'd just get more jabba'ee.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-08-2021, 10:17 AM

With a massive paycheque and pension.

Xtrema
04-08-2021, 10:26 AM
With a massive paycheque and pension.

Isn't it like $100K more than being CoC mayor which much less work and responsibility?

killramos
04-08-2021, 10:28 AM
Isn't it like $100K more than being CoC mayor which much less work and responsibility?

The limitless expenses for life are a nice touch.

ExtraSlow
04-08-2021, 10:55 AM

pension AND expenses, regardless of how long you hold the position. it's very nice.

suntan
04-08-2021, 11:26 AM
Thing is, he has one hell of a massive ego, I'm not sure he could handle not bossing people around.

Xtrema
04-08-2021, 11:56 AM

So should I start dumbing tea into Hudson Bay or something?

killramos
04-08-2021, 12:08 PM
So should I start dumbing tea into Hudson Bay or something?

Either that or cozy up the to queen.

heavyD
04-08-2021, 12:43 PM
Nenshi leaving pales compared to Druh Farrell's exodus. She's been the biggest cancer on this city. I'm indifferent to Nenshi. I don't think he was terrible but his smartest guy in the room personality always rubbed me the wrong way and I don't think he could ever succeed in the private sector because of this. I just don't know if a "no" man like Farkas is going to do a better job as to me he looks more like a snake oil salesman than a good politician.

killramos
04-08-2021, 12:47 PM
If all he does is say no to city management at every turn then that is all I could ever ask for.

heavyD
04-08-2021, 12:51 PM
If all he does is say no to city management at every turn then that is all I could ever ask for.

Well I will gladly take that pension to sit in a chair and say no to city management. With the rest of the country trying to kill our economy we are going to need some good thinkers to make this city attractive to other industries and fill some of those office towers.

mr2mike
04-09-2021, 08:18 AM
I bet Nenshi takes a federal job.
Fly in - fly out.
Maintains he hasn't abandoned the city he loved (robbed blind).

Maxt
04-09-2021, 10:38 AM
The city's tax policy and budget "restraint" already looks like Marth.

Xtrema
04-09-2021, 10:39 AM
Either that or cozy up the to queen.

Well she IS single now....