PDA

View Full Version : Want the city to pay for your new roof? $3000 grants for hail resistant materials.

ExtraSlow
04-27-2021, 05:34 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/roof-rebates-hail-calgary-city-council-1.6003812

BerserkerCatSplat
04-27-2021, 06:09 PM
Gotta love election years, let me know when the signup page goes live.

ExtraSlow
04-27-2021, 06:11 PM
I need to read the fine print, because I'd like new roofing.

suntan
04-27-2021, 06:20 PM
How much is a localized hail generator?

Darell_n
04-27-2021, 06:22 PM
Gotta love election years, let me know when the signup page goes live.

Safest possible time (city finances wise) to offer this as every vulnerable roof in the city just got replaced.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-27-2021, 06:49 PM
Safest possible time (city finances wise) to offer this as every vulnerable roof in the city just got replaced.

Yeah, most of them probably. We paid out of pocket for the upgrade so we'll qualify as it backdates to June.

killramos
04-27-2021, 08:38 PM
What’s a roof cost these days? Asking for SKR

ExtraSlow
04-27-2021, 08:41 PM
10k+ for your place.

killramos
04-27-2021, 08:43 PM
Ahh well. Can’t win em all

BerserkerCatSplat
04-27-2021, 08:53 PM
What’s a roof cost these days? Asking for SKR

Aspen price or not-Aspen price?

Buster
04-27-2021, 09:20 PM
What did a hail proof roof look like

rx7boi
04-27-2021, 09:37 PM
Hail proof tiles look like this:

https://www.adsoftheworld.com/media/film/tsuruya_sticking_together_no_matter_what

Proyecto2000
04-27-2021, 09:52 PM
Yeah, most of them probably. We paid out of pocket for the upgrade so we'll qualify as it backdates to June.

I also took the upgraded shingles but only to reduce the depreciation. Intact approved contractor told me that in the event of another hailstorm they would not be patching the roof and replacing damaged shingles. They would tear off all the shingles and reroof as its easier and better for the home owner. *insert cash grab comment*

A different contractor also through Intact said the exact same thing to my parents about having to replace all shingles as it was easier and better after they took the upgrade offer. *insert cash grab comment*

Thankfully Intact offered us a $1,500 upgrade credit to put towards the roof upgrade so it only cost me like $500 to upgrade + the deprecation and deductible.

What did a hail proof roof look like

https://www.epicroofing.ca/blog/calgary-roofing-hail-proof-rubber-roofing/

rubber, big bucks. might as well let insurance pay for a new roof every few years at whatever your deductible is

ThePenIsMightier
04-27-2021, 10:08 PM
They'll tell you that solar panels are hail-proof... I find it unbelievable, but, there it is.

dirtsniffer
04-27-2021, 10:54 PM
I always thought it was the wind that fucked up shingles, not the hail

BerserkerCatSplat
04-27-2021, 11:13 PM
I always thought it was the wind that fucked up shingles, not the hail

The hail literally tore fist-sized chunks out of our shingles.

Darell_n
04-28-2021, 05:12 AM
They'll tell you that solar panels are hail-proof... I find it unbelievable, but, there it is.

A customer of mine just finished their roof repair a month ago from the June hail storm, including the complete replacement of thousands of solar panels. They were only a year old, about a dozen were smashed outright and the rest had micro fractures with reduced performance. The insurance company took them all and resold them in the States some place.

J-D
04-28-2021, 08:13 AM
I appreciate that the City wants things like this, but doesn't it make more sense to improve building codes and standards instead? This is just going to hail proof a couple houses in the city and we'll keep throwing up Vinyl / Cheap shingles everywhere else...

killramos
04-28-2021, 08:16 AM
I appreciate that the City wants things like this, but doesn't it make more sense to improve building codes and standards instead? This is just going to hail proof a couple houses in the city and we'll keep throwing up Vinyl / Cheap shingles everywhere else...

Updating codes is a very ineffective tool for wasting money. You don’t need to hire nearly enough city administrators for that.

ThePenIsMightier
04-28-2021, 08:27 AM
If there's hail like June of 2020, I don't think it's reasonable to expect a roof to live. People need to live with that.
This is becoming Royal Dutch Shell mentality. "But I'd feel better if the pipes were protected from asteroid collisions, because HSE!"

ExtraSlow
04-28-2021, 08:27 AM
"resilience" is my new top trigger word.

killramos
04-28-2021, 08:29 AM
If there's hail like June of 2020, I don't think it's reasonable to expect a roof to live. People need to live with that.
This is becoming Royal Dutch Shell mentality. "But I'd feel better if the pipes were protected from asteroid collisions, because HSE!"

So between Shell, and CNRL. Where is the sweet spot for what I should spend on my roof?

ThePenIsMightier
04-28-2021, 08:33 AM
So between Shell, and CNRL. Where is the sweet spot for what I should spend on my roof?

You'd need to pay an engineer to do a study.
Start by getting an estimate for their Engineering services; then, cut their estimate by 40%, award the job and expect the same level of deliverables and quality.

killramos
04-28-2021, 08:40 AM
Are they just going to make an EIT do it anyway?

bjstare
04-28-2021, 08:57 AM
Are they just going to make an EIT do it anyway?

No, it gets farmed out to sweatshops in China and India.

Xtrema
04-28-2021, 10:13 AM
No, it gets farmed out to sweatshops in China and India.

Who are also EITs during off hours.

And if it hasn't been said yet, this is a dumb way to address this. You may pay more for the tile, but there's no guarantee it won't be damaged by hail still and the people who warranty this probably won't be around when you need it.

holden
04-28-2021, 10:15 AM
Metal roofs for all?

ThePenIsMightier
04-29-2021, 10:06 AM
A customer of mine just finished their roof repair a month ago from the June hail storm, including the complete replacement of thousands of solar panels. They were only a year old, about a dozen were smashed outright and the rest had micro fractures with reduced performance. The insurance company took them all and resold them in the States some place.

Wow, that's fucked. I didn't believe that they would survive that much hail, but I was surprised to see some demo's where they didn't smash with less severe hail.

vengie
04-29-2021, 11:33 AM
Hail proof tiles look like this:

https://www.adsoftheworld.com/media/film/tsuruya_sticking_together_no_matter_what

I'm disappointed with myself for watching the entire thing.

suntan
04-29-2021, 12:10 PM
Wow, that's fucked. I didn't believe that they would survive that much hail, but I was surprised to see some demo's where they didn't smash with less severe hail.

Solar panel energy is basically a giant grift at this point.

killramos
04-29-2021, 12:12 PM
Solar panel energy is basically a giant grift at this point.

You can’t put a price on saving the hippos

88CRX
04-29-2021, 12:36 PM

a) The building code dictates the minimum requirements for life safety and building envelope performance. Builders and purchasers are free to upgrade where they'd like.

b) Why is the City doing giving handouts to private residences for hail-proof roofs? Isn't that why people have home owners insurance? Shouldn't the insurance companies be doing this? (Yes, I realize the insurance companies aren't doing this)

killramos
04-29-2021, 01:02 PM
a) The building code dictates the minimum requirements for life safety and building envelope performance. Builders and purchasers are free to upgrade where they'd like.

b) Why is the City doing giving handouts to private residences for hail-proof roofs? Isn't that why people have home owners insurance? Shouldn't the insurance companies be doing this? (Yes, I realize the insurance companies aren't doing this)

Tell that to the owners in sky view ranch who have been bitching for government handouts all year

mr2mike
04-29-2021, 01:45 PM

I have aluminum bullet proof siding. Can I get an insurance deduction? That shit will never break.
Also if I recycle all the tires in the surrounding alleys onto my roof, can I get the $3K?
Asking for a non Aspen resident.

- - - Updated - - -

Tell that to the owners in sky view ranch who have been bitching for government handouts all year

I thought they wanted a sky view when they moved out there? Now they get it and they complain.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-29-2021, 03:36 PM
I have aluminum bullet proof siding. Can I get an insurance deduction?

Some do, did you ask?

mr2mike
04-29-2021, 04:24 PM
I will now.

ExtraSlow
04-29-2021, 04:25 PM
I thought your siding was solid nickel?

mr2mike
04-29-2021, 06:57 PM
I thought your siding was solid nickel?

A few more comments on ZenOps posts and it will be. Haha

Clever
07-14-2021, 01:37 PM

Our house was hit with the hail from the storm at the beginning of the month, my insurance told me that they are willing to pay up-to $2500 to get the hail resistant material for the roof. So maybe this is a recent change? Probably going to go ahead with that but I wonder how much it would affect my policy.

eblend
07-14-2021, 07:57 PM
Our house was hit with the hail from the storm at the beginning of the month, my insurance told me that they are willing to pay up-to $2500 to get the hail resistant material for the roof. So maybe this is a recent change? Probably going to go ahead with that but I wonder how much it would affect my policy.

I heard about this from the guy who came to look at my parents roof, and then again when i was discussing with co-worker randomly later that day. Co-Worker had hail damage last year and got this offer form their insurance company...their premiums actually went DOWN, as changes of claiming a roof again in the near future fall significantly. She said it was $1900 upgrade so she actually came out on top with the $2500 rebate.

Clever
07-15-2021, 01:38 PM
I heard about this from the guy who came to look at my parents roof, and then again when i was discussing with co-worker randomly later that day. Co-Worker had hail damage last year and got this offer form their insurance company...their premiums actually went DOWN, as changes of claiming a roof again in the near future fall significantly. She said it was $1900 upgrade so she actually came out on top with the $2500 rebate.

That would be great if my premiums go down, I’m sure I’ll pay for it elsewhere maybe my auto insurance since they are together. I guess I’ll find out next year.

Proyecto2000
07-15-2021, 10:34 PM
CoC approved my hail rebate. Now I wait for that sweet NE cheque to arrive in 6-8 weeks!