PDA

View Full Version : Selling used car and dealership involvement

ragu
04-30-2021, 06:20 PM
Hey guys. I’m new to this and wanted to see if this throws any red flags for you.

I’m selling a used car, a fellow calls me and shows interest. Silence for a week.

I get a rushed call from a rep at House of Cars asking for VIN to solve financing for a client who’s interested. I return to work thinking it’s a fishing call.

I get another call an hour or so later, this time from first fellow saying he’d like to set up meeting tomorrow, but before if I can give out VIN it’ll help him (with financing).

Is that normal? Can giving VIN out cause any issues? I’m guessing not. But thoughts?

roopi
04-30-2021, 06:49 PM
I don't think there is any concern giving out the VIN and I feel like I've read somewhere on Beyond about someone using a used car dealership for a private sale financing.

rx7boi
04-30-2021, 07:09 PM
I'll let others give you the answer but for what it's worth, people need the VIN to run a Carfax if you're not paying for one yourself anyway.

arcticcat522
04-30-2021, 07:13 PM
I don't see how giving out the vin could cause you any issue. I mean, anyone can walk upto any car and get the vin

killramos
04-30-2021, 07:26 PM
No issue providing the vin. However I would want to hear a cash offer number before I give them any more info just to avoid some sleazy sales job from house of cars trying to get you to buy a new car.

RX_EVOLV
05-01-2021, 09:21 AM
Happened to me. Was selling my car on Kijiji and House of Cars contacted me saying one of their clients wants to buy my car and they are helping with financing. First I thought it was a scam but went through anyway. We agreed on a price over phone, went over the next day to do the paper work, and got a cheque that we took to the bank right away. Everything went smoothly. They didn't try to upsell me on anything. In and out within 30 mins. They didn't even really inspect the car when I dropped it off.

Some poor guy probably paying crazy high interest costs for my car but :dunno::dunno:

Darkane
05-01-2021, 09:37 AM
I sold a car and was contacted by house of cars. The salesbro didn’t have a buyer, but he still wanted the car either for himself or to sell on the lot.

Test drive, meeting at the McLeod 39th ave location. All went smooth.

Gave me a house or cars cheque for the amount, we cashed it and it was actually very easy transaction.

ThePenIsMightier
05-01-2021, 10:09 AM
This is interesting. It seems like a good strategy for their biz.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-01-2021, 10:12 AM
HOC tried to convince me to give them my parents car I was selling on consignment. I’m sure some people can do it but I wouldn’t want any risk of letting someone else joyride the car, or people who start cars cold and bag on them, take short trips etc.

killramos
05-01-2021, 10:15 AM
Hey if HoC makes you a cash offer their money is as good as anyone else’s.

It’s the rest of their business I wouldn’t touch with a 10 foot pole.

Tik-Tok
05-01-2021, 10:34 AM
They are loan sharks, selling cars is just how they get clients.

ExtraSlow
05-01-2021, 10:39 AM
They are loan sharks, selling cars is just how they get clients.

Accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey if HoC makes you a cash offer their money is as good as anyone else’s.

It’s the rest of their business I wouldn’t touch with a 10 foot pole.

Accurate

suntan
05-01-2021, 11:21 AM
Huh. Glad to be made aware of this.

JohnnyHockey13
05-01-2021, 12:31 PM
So, curious to those that took HOC's offer, was is anywhere near what you wanted?...if it's legit, sounds like it would work in the seller's favor if all they're doing is being the middle man, most people walking into HOC don't care about the actual cost of the car, just payments, so HOC theoretically could care less how much you want for it, as long as their client is ok with the monthly payment, and it would be in HOC's best interest to pay you top dollar anyways so they max out the principal on the loan? Unless they're doing a flip at the same time for a profit that way as well.

Darkane
05-01-2021, 04:00 PM
So, curious to those that took HOC's offer, was is anywhere near what you wanted?...if it's legit, sounds like it would work in the seller's favor if all they're doing is being the middle man, most people walking into HOC don't care about the actual cost of the car, just payments, so HOC theoretically could care less how much you want for it, as long as their client is ok with the monthly payment, and it would be in HOC's best interest to pay you top dollar anyways so they max out the principal on the loan? Unless they're doing a flip at the same time for a profit that way as well.

I gave it to them about $500 less than what I was expecting. But their payment, no need for inspection, and cash that day - I took it. And it was easy.

ThePenIsMightier
05-01-2021, 04:48 PM
I gave it to them about $500 less than what I was expecting. But their payment, no need for inspection, and cash that day - I took it. And it was easy.

*car was initially priced at $675

killramos
05-01-2021, 04:48 PM

Sounds like a good deal to not have to pay to dispose of that car lol

RX_EVOLV
05-01-2021, 10:33 PM

They made me a lower offer, but I was a bit skeptical with the situation so I said I'm firm with my asking price and they said deal. Don't think my car was priced to sell either. It has been on Kijiji/autotrader for ~5 weeks already prior to them reaching out.

Darkane
05-02-2021, 09:28 AM

Fire sale lol.

JohnnyHockey13
05-05-2021, 12:35 PM
I got an offer from someone claiming to be from HOC, deal is way higher than what I've been getting on Kijiji from private buyers....hope this is legit!

schurchill39
05-05-2021, 01:50 PM
Harley does this too with motorbikes. If they see someone selling a Harley privately a dealership will reach out to you to offer to arrange financing, or will call to say they have a buyer setting up financing and ask if the bike is availible. Most of the time its the Gasoline Alley Harley

Masked Bandit
05-05-2021, 02:38 PM
I got an offer from someone claiming to be from HOC, deal is way higher than what I've been getting on Kijiji from private buyers....hope this is legit!

Used vehicles are selling for stupid numbers right now so it's entirely possible your deal is legit. I just traded a car in for $5K more than what I would have sold it for privately two years ago.

ExtraSlow
05-05-2021, 03:01 PM
Any want a 2012 Odyssey?

killramos
05-05-2021, 03:07 PM
Any want a 2012 Odyssey?

Asking price?

ExtraSlow
05-05-2021, 03:08 PM
$95,000 obo.

killramos
05-05-2021, 03:08 PM
Would you do $5k CASH TODAY?

ExtraSlow
05-05-2021, 03:10 PM
Sure but how much tomorrow? the rest of the $90k?

killramos
05-05-2021, 03:11 PM
Sure but how much tomorrow? the rest of the $90k?

Tomorrow my offer is 4,000

JohnnyHockey13
05-05-2021, 03:13 PM
Any want a 2012 Odyssey?

What's your last price?

- - - Updated - - -

Used vehicles are selling for stupid numbers right now so it's entirely possible your deal is legit. I just traded a car in for $5K more than what I would have sold it for privately two years ago.

Interesting...the guy never even wrote back after I asked him if it was ok to come by 2:30 today, based on what you and the other guy said, I might just drop it off at Adessa tomorrow.

killramos
05-05-2021, 03:13 PM
Man you give up quick on this whole selling a used car thing.

My last car I sold took 3 months on Kijiji.

ExtraSlow
05-05-2021, 03:19 PM
I have not yet begun to give up!

suntan
05-05-2021, 03:20 PM
I have not yet begun to give up!

You've given up on giving up?

JohnnyHockey13
05-05-2021, 03:22 PM

We're leaving 'Berta on May 30....but thanks for the encouragement, you truly are a beacon of light amongst beyonders.

- - - Updated - - -

You've given up on giving up?

He should listen to Rick Astley more instead of Phil Collins.

suntan
05-05-2021, 03:23 PM
Damn, where you going?

edit: saw your other post. Enjoy the weather man (sincerely).

JohnnyHockey13
05-05-2021, 03:30 PM
Damn, where you going?

edit: saw your other post. Enjoy the weather man (sincerely).

Over to Revscene.net HAHA jk

Tik-Tok
05-05-2021, 05:12 PM

"3 Months? Amateur." -ercchry

JohnnyHockey13
05-08-2021, 12:06 PM
Update on my HOC experience...they did a pretty thorough job going over the car and they offered me $4,000 which I think is fair given the accident history and things that actually needed to be done for a new buyer. It was too low for me given that I have offers for 5-6 off Kijiji and have actually sold pending payment on Monday morning for 6500. Definitely not the top dollar others are suggesting but I get it, it's a Nissan Juke, not exactly a popular easy to sell vehicle.

That being said, HOC gets a lot of hate but from an Alberta business perspective, it makes me happy to see them succeed, they have 10+ locations and 1 in Arizona, that's crazy. I think it really helped them to not have a "Z" in their name, if it was House of CarZ, it'd be a different story for sure.