PDA

View Full Version : Best BBQ Sauce #MegaThread #Hashtags

ThePenIsMightier
05-24-2021, 02:42 PM
I think I'll create a spin-off thread from the wildly awesome BBQ/Smoking Thread (https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/330999-The-BBQ-and-Smoking-Thread) to discuss what sauce you like when you have all that meat in your mouth.
*Technically, a thread already exists for this, but it's been dead for a decade and sometimes I don't know how to forum between getting in trouble for bumping ancient threads or creating too many new threads.

For myself, I don't like to use much sauce or very often. I bought some of the Newman's Own on a crazy sale and it's really really good which is biting me right in the urethra because Safeway seems to be out of it all the time and i haven't seen it anywhere else.

So, I tried Diana Sauce and I think it might be bad enough to throw away. It's watery and has way too much tomato flavour, for me. #LeDisappoint

Now I'm finally trying Cattle Boyz. I thought it was from Red Deer, but it says Okotoks. Looking forward to trying it, anyways.

What is the favourite BBQ Sauce of Beyond?

killramos
05-24-2021, 02:50 PM
Sweet Baby Rays

Corn syrup based, doesn’t get clumpy. Great flavour on its own and really easy to blend it’s your own flavours or drippings to step it up a notch.

Cheap. It’s my go to, I’ve tried many and it’s the only one I don’t find consistently disappointing.

ercchry
05-24-2021, 02:54 PM
Spirited Mickey, our compliments brand... there is a flavour for every occasion. but all you need to do to turn any BBQ sauce into “the best” is to add the au jus from the bbq you’re cooking into it; especially if you’re smoking something... half the reason I champion the benefits of wrapping is to do that

tirebob
05-24-2021, 02:55 PM
I make all my own sauces… I can’t do store bought sauces anymore. Nothing compares to good homemade!

killramos
05-24-2021, 02:59 PM
I make all my own sauces… I can’t do store bought sauces anymore. Nothing compares to good homemade!

So ketchup? haha

- - - Updated - - -

Spirited Mickey, our compliments brand... there is a flavour for every occasion. but all you need to do to turn any BBQ sauce into “the best” is to add the au jus from the bbq you’re cooking into it; especially if you’re smoking something... half the reason I champion the benefits of wrapping is to do that

I’ve had some REALLY bad Spirited Mickey sauces. Someone gave me one with tamarind in it once (dark and stormy?) that was revolting.

I agree though, start with store bought and mix it up with liquid to make the best sauce.

ThePenIsMightier
05-24-2021, 03:01 PM
I suppose we should differentiate those that are for pork or chicken and those that are for beef.
I'm a believer in different types.

More on the gross spectrum: Bulls Eye.
If you want dirt cheap, stick with Kraft. It's nothing special, but it's often an entire dollar so you can save those pennies for fueling up your G6.*

*Not the Pontiac. The airplane.

killramos
05-24-2021, 03:02 PM
It’s all 90% ketchup anyway.

I do have a lot of respect for a good Carolina Mustard sauce here and there.

ercchry
05-24-2021, 03:02 PM
The bourbon one with some hot sauce, drippings, and sweet baby rays is a pretty universal flavour profile. I like the mustard and hops one for pork too

suntan
05-24-2021, 03:04 PM
Ketchup based sauces piss me off.

There's a recipe in the Weber Real Grilling book that I make.

I'm not a fan of any commercial sauces. I buy Bull's Eye if I have to.

dirtsniffer
05-24-2021, 03:15 PM
Sweet baby rays for days

Buster
05-24-2021, 03:20 PM
Blues hog.

SKR
05-24-2021, 03:34 PM
I bought some of the Newman's Own on a crazy sale and it's really really good which is biting me right in the urethra because Safeway seems to be out of it all the time and i haven't seen it anywhere else.

The London Drugs in Medicine Hat has it, maybe you could try your local branch. I prefer it but you have to put it into a squeeze bottle because it's so fuckin thick.

Thaco
05-24-2021, 03:48 PM
none, cook your meat right and you don't need it.

littledan
05-24-2021, 03:50 PM
Diana sauce

BerserkerCatSplat
05-24-2021, 04:15 PM
Can't remember the last time I used BBQ sauce for anything but dipping, but the PC Habanero Tequila sauce is great for that. I make my own Carolina-style mustard sauce (also for dipping) but in the smoker I'm mostly a dry rub guy.

ExtraSlow
05-24-2021, 04:52 PM
Mustard based sauces for pork ribs.

suntan
05-24-2021, 06:13 PM
Can't remember the last time I used BBQ sauce for anything but dipping, but the PC Habanero Tequila sauce is great for that. I make my own Carolina-style mustard sauce (also for dipping) but in the smoker I'm mostly a dry rub guy.

none, cook your meat right and you don't need it.I only use it for dipping as well.

ThePenIsMightier
05-24-2021, 06:34 PM
The London Drugs in Medicine Hat has it, maybe you could try your local branch. I prefer it but you have to put it into a squeeze bottle because it's so fuckin thick.

Man Down?!! Let's drink a pint of wine and fucking literally get married! You are. #TheBest !! A fucking #Legend

It's also funny that you mentioned squeeze bottle, because that's precisely how I used it. Then my whore wife tried to do something nice for me (slut) and got me some The Keg BBQ Sauce for xmas, so I filled up that squeeze bottle post haste and it turns out their sauce is full of some sort of fatty, fat fat spice nuggets that clog my noozle! Overall, The Keg Sauce was fine, but that clogging really put the corn in my wiener-hole!

I work somewhere near a London Drugs, so I might have to check that shit out for some Newman's. Thanks for the tip!

SKR
05-24-2021, 07:09 PM
Then my whore wife

Holy fuck this made me #laugh.

Also yes, Man Down. I'm not currently watching it right now because I don't know how to get an HD version that doesn't require me to create a password. I'm watching season 11 of Taskmaster and he's on there now too. I think I really like the British sense of humor more than North American.

SKR
05-24-2021, 07:17 PM
Back on topic, a squeeze bottle is the only way to enjoy Newman's sauce. Here's a picture of me the first time trying to get it to pour out of that glass bottle.

Buster
05-24-2021, 07:19 PM
thread took a turn for the gay

ExtraSlow
05-24-2021, 07:52 PM

dirtsniffer
05-24-2021, 08:00 PM
I like bbq sauce on burgers instead of ketchup. With carmelized onions, bacon, applewood cheddar and a slice of tomato to make it healthy.

And on ribs

ThePenIsMightier
05-24-2021, 08:03 PM
I like bbq sauce on burgers instead of ketchup. With carmelized onions, bacon, applewood cheddar and a slice of tomato to make it healthy.

And on ribs

I really enjoy the overly sugary style on chicken and as a supplement on pork chops, for example.
Not the same story at all for burgers or steak.

suntan
05-24-2021, 08:07 PM

Well yeah, this is the gay car forum.

killramos
05-24-2021, 08:32 PM
I really enjoy the overly sugary style on chicken and as a supplement on pork chops, for example.
Not the same story at all for burgers or steak.

I actually baste my burgers in bbq sauce. There is nothing impressive to me about burgers, and I like the extra Carmelization that the sugar gives you on a burger.

Steaks hard no (unless it’s day old and I’m just microwaving leftovers, then bbq sauce)

ExtraSlow
05-24-2021, 08:39 PM
Burgers is burgers. Make em how you like em.

killramos
05-24-2021, 08:45 PM
Burgers is burgers. Make em how you like em.

An excellent philosophy.

suntan
05-24-2021, 08:47 PM
I put horseradish and hummus on my burger.

Buster
05-24-2021, 08:53 PM
Well yeah, this is the gay car forum.

That's what the bechamel sauce thread is for

ThePenIsMightier
05-24-2021, 09:04 PM
Blues hog.

Splain more. Where does I buying?
#HogSauceInBustersMouff

suntan
05-24-2021, 09:06 PM
BBQs Galore has it.

I'd try it but it's fucking KETCHUP.

killramos
05-24-2021, 09:07 PM
It’s all ketchup

suntan
05-24-2021, 09:15 PM
I know man, I know.

sabad66
05-24-2021, 09:19 PM
+1 sweet baby rays, especially for pork ribs

Guy Fieri bbq sauce is actually not bad too. I think there were two types, one with a bit of a spicier kick and I really liked it when I tried it last year. Not available all the time though, I think it’s seasonal at costco

suntan
05-24-2021, 09:24 PM
It's at Costco right now.

SKR
05-24-2021, 09:32 PM
I'm going to put ketchup and mustard on my steaks just to make food nerds sad.

ThePenIsMightier
05-24-2021, 09:42 PM
Instead of supporting Guy Fierro (whatever the fuck his bleach-assed name is). Is there a sauce I can buy that can be shown to significantly diminish his health? I'd pay $20/oz if my sauce purchase could give him Ebola.

sabad66
05-24-2021, 09:44 PM
Honorable mention goes to this stuff. They call it “chicken wing sauce” but it’s basically bbq sauce. A bit runnier than most but absolutely delicious on wings. I think it’s an east coast darling or something

ExtraSlow
05-24-2021, 09:46 PM
Thats air fryer sauce.

ThePenIsMightier
05-24-2021, 09:51 PM
I don't think we are allowed East Coast sauce here due to the#AtlanticBubble

Only #POS would break that rule.
I'm no expert, tho

austic
05-25-2021, 08:50 AM
lately i have loved tragercue and cherry apple habanero from rib candy mixed in a 3-1 fashion for ribs
for pulled pork i have been using a pineapple habenero sauce mix from Texas pepper jelly with various sauce bases depending on mood
For chicken Alabama white sauce has been a hit in my house.

tirebob
05-25-2021, 08:53 AM
So ketchup? haha

Haha! Well for sure some sauces always have a ketchup base to them, but no not always. I like to usually put two or three sauces together when I am doing a good pork feed up (never beef). Usually one spicy/sweet tomato/molasses based sauce (so yes, with ketchup as one ingredient), one mid-level sweet vinegar/mustard based sauce and one non-sugared vinegar and spice finishing liquid sauce.

I generally leave it up to the person eating to sauce whatever they like best although my preferences are to a bit of the sweet tomato based sauces on hot spicy rubbed ribs, and I waffle between the tomato and mustard based sweet sauces on pulled pork sammies. I alway do a liquid finishing sauce squirted into my pulled pork before serving, and if I am eating pulled pork on it's own then I do not put extra sweet sauces on it at all.

jacky4566
05-25-2021, 10:15 AM
Pretty Mustardy and delicious. Basically crack in my house.

JPB
05-25-2021, 11:15 AM
Blues hog.

Seconded. Great stuff.

I want to track down some Motley Que from Edmonton, one of their sauces just won top honors at the American Royal in Kansas City. https://motleyque.ca/product/sticky-fixx/

JRSC00LUDE
05-25-2021, 11:17 AM
Highly recommend ordering:

https://www.deadlydan.com/

The Bold Q and red sauce (ketchup) are fantastic. So are the hot sauces depending on your tastes. And I love the mustard but it's spicy.

88CRX
05-25-2021, 11:59 AM
+1 on the Sweet Baby Rays

killramos
05-25-2021, 12:02 PM
Apparently in the states you can buy it in a 5Gal Pail.

‘Murica

ExtraSlow
05-25-2021, 12:04 PM
sweet baby rays is a good sweet sticky sauce. You can spent 5x the price on similar quality. Mix it 50/50 with the cheapest hot-dog mustard you can find and you have yourself a workable start to a Carolina sauce too.

Lot of great sauces out there, but I don't see the point geeking out on them.