PDA

View Full Version : talk to me about hot tubs

Pages : [1] 2 3

Buster
06-03-2021, 02:03 PM
I've never been that interested in a hot tub, but wife and kids really want one.

What do I need to know? Are there low end shitty brands, and high end good brands?

What do they cost in general?

Are there big ones? Small ones?

Are there better/worse ways to keep them clean?

Do you run electrical under the ground to them?

suntan
06-03-2021, 02:21 PM
Are there low end shitty brands, and high end good brands? Yes

What do they cost in general? At least $6K. +$50/mth in electricity.

Are there big ones? Small ones? Yes.

Are there better/worse ways to keep them clean? Add chlorine at least 2X a week. Might have to adjust pH but Calgary's water is actually at the perfect pH (most are too acidic). I like to use "spa shock" as it turns bound chloramines into gas. There's other stuff but it's mostly useless. Foam remover is useful sometimes. Change water 2X year at least. Some people like bromine but I find it pointless.

Do you run electrical under the ground to them? Yes they need a dedicated circuit. A permit is required.

If you're putting one on a deck, deck must also be able to support the weight.

One of my PIL's back neighbours have a hottub, they go nude in it. I've seen the mom naked too many times.

killramos
06-03-2021, 02:42 PM
I can’t find the paperwork but I think ours was around 10k for a middle of the road tub.

We bought a hot spring brand ( limelight aria ) from Rocky Mountain pools and spas. We are happy with it.

We splurged on the “salt water” system which is a bit less chemically. Probably need to do a water change soon but it’s only been used 4-5 times since we haven’t been out at the lake much since the baby was born.

Buster
06-03-2021, 02:46 PM
I can’t find the paperwork but I think ours was around 10k for a middle of the road tub.

We bought a hot spring brand ( limelight aria ) from Rocky Mountain pools and spas. We are happy with it.

We splurged on the “salt water” system which is a bit less chemically. Probably need to do a water change soon but it’s only been used 4-5 times since we haven’t been out at the lake much since the baby was born.

is Hot Spring middle of the road?

killramos
06-03-2021, 02:48 PM
“Limelight” is their middle of the road tub, they have a higher end and a lower end version with different features.

I won’t lie I did not put that much effort into the whole process and just went to one place when they were having a “sale”.

I think I undersold you on price, ours was actually a little closer to $20k all said and done with install and all the extras.

suntan
06-03-2021, 02:59 PM
Mechanically they are very simple. A water pump, air pump and heater.

I have a Jacuzzi, they're very nice, I bought though mainly because it was smaller.

There's plenty of choices, I think there's somebody here that has a brand that they hate though.

Salt water systems are just more expensive chlorine.

Mitsu3000gt
06-03-2021, 03:02 PM
Hot tubs are like buying boats, there is almost nothing to them and yet their cost can be astronomical haha.

We paid about ~$12K for ours many years ago (apparently discounted from $15K or so), we used it a lot at first and then as the novelty wore off it barely got used so we sold it probably 4-5 years later after it mostly just sat around unused. Ours was made by Artesian. If I had to do it again I would buy a smaller and cheaper tub (probably whatever Costco carries for $5-6K tops) because other than lights, fountains, waterfalls and all that shit, they're all pretty much the same aside from the ultra low-end. Just don't buy one that has difficult access to the electronics/pumps in case something goes wrong. Also if I had to do it again I wouldn't buy the fancy stereo, I'd just take a Bluetooth speaker outside, and you probably aren't going to be pumping the tunes anyway assuming you want to talk to the other person(s) in the tub. Just another thing that can break.

Chemicals weren't too bad, we used an enzyme system and a tiny bit of chlorine, but there are lots of ways to go about it including salt water now (when we bought ours most salt water systems were for pools only). Filter replacements were a bit expensive and ours had 3 filters. You should drain/clean/refill the whole tub every 3-4 months but that depends on usage as well. How often you need to clean it will depend on usage and how diligent you are at staying on top of chemicals.

We ran electrical under patio bricks to the tub, and monthly running cost was around $30-50 but that will obviously depend on use, outside temperature, and the size of your tub. It also sat on the patio bricks, so we built a base out of 4X4 treated wood to level it.

Size wise we had a 9 person but you can buy everything from 2 person inflatables to giant rectangles that seat 20 people. They are kind of like tents - you can subtract 1-2 from however many people it can hold if you want to be comfortable with lots of room.

Cushions, jet nozzles, and the cover are the things that will start to break and look bad over time as the chemicals slowly destroy them. We ran into one issue trying to find a replacement cushion because our tub model wasn't made anymore. Anything 'fancy' that pops up or similar is also a common failure point. If you buy a tub with 100 jets or whatever, expect to always have a nozzle or two that needs replacing or that doesn't work quite right. I would recommend a cover with struts that help you lift it, especially if your wife/kids might use it on their own as the covers are really heavy and soak up some moisture.

I'm not as up to date on the brands available these days but I think you'll find they are all pretty similar within any given price range. Going to "hot tub alley" on center street and dealing with the used-car-style sales experience was the worst part of the process unless you buy from Costco or something (Costco carries BeachComber and Evolution). At dedicated hot tub stores, they are usually offered at huge discounts from prices nobody has ever paid, so it's difficult to figure out exactly what kind of 'deal' you're getting.

A good sized hot tub is usually around 600-800lbs + 2,000-3,000lbs of water so make sure wherever you are putting it is plenty solid. Depending on your yard/fence you will probably either need a crane to get it installed or to temporarily dismantle part of your fence.

Unless you think it will get a lot of use over a long period of time I wouldn't recommend it, but of course there are also some people who love hot tubs and use them several times a week year round. We used ours the most in the Winter and barely ever in the summer because if it was, say, 20C in the evening, we didn't want to go sit in hot water. I guess it's hard to tell before you get one whether or not the novelty will wear off. I grew up with lots of friends whose families had hot tubs that virtually never got used, and we turned into one of those families too after not too long. It's basically just a fun place to drink for a while haha - I don't think many people actually use them for hydrotherapy.

Not sure what COVID has done to hot tub stock but I imagine they are a bit harder to get now as well.

TomcoPDR
06-03-2021, 03:03 PM

Are there better/worse ways to keep them clean? Add chlorine at least 2X a week. Might have to adjust pH but Calgary's water is actually at the perfect pH (most are too acidic). I like to use "spa shock" as it turns bound chloramines into gas. There's other stuff but it's mostly useless. Foam remover is useful sometimes. Change water 2X year at least. Some people like bromine but I find it pointless.

Do you run electrical under the ground to them? Yes they need a dedicated circuit. A permit is required.

If you're putting one on a deck, deck must also be able to support the weight.

One of my PIL's back neighbours have a hottub, they go nude in it. I've seen the mom naked too many times.

And is it true you can’t get someone pregnant having intercourse in hot tub, cause heat of the water kills the sperm? Asking for a friend, I mean asking for ExtraSlow

CLiVE
06-03-2021, 03:06 PM
I think the quality often has more to do with the frame construction, Steel vs wood and longevity.
We went with a Vita Spa (MAXX Spa in Canada) Grand. Happy with it overall - chemicals are pretty easy to figure out as mentioned above. Good service from RNR Hot tubs, including their 'spa school' for chemicals.

I add chlorine after use, test the water weekly and do a small shock. Rarely have to adjust pH, and I clean filters / swap with a second set every 2 weeks. Foam remover now and then and change water every 6 months.
Electrical, I had a box added when I build the house on a back patio. Tub is right beside the box, so was no need to run any wiring...

Took down part of the fence (corner lot) to get it in the yard.

suntan
06-03-2021, 03:12 PM
I have an ASTM-standard width backyard door, no problems with delivery as a result.

ercchry
06-03-2021, 03:12 PM
So Arctic Spa seems the be the gold standard, everyone that has one seems happy with em, my parent’s has been bulletproof... so when I was shopping I was talked into a coyote spa, same, same as Arctic they said... sure whatever. I buy it, and it’s just been a fucking lemon, cannot recommend

But if you get one that doesn’t constantly piss you off with BS problems...

The more you use it the more chemicals, not much cost; you get a lifetime discount if you purchase your tub from paradise bay, electricity isn’t much. Overall pretty easy if you don’t obsess over test strip results. Shock it after sex orgies or whatever you lake front people are into and it’s good to go

ThePenIsMightier
06-03-2021, 03:14 PM
Hot tubs are the RHD cars of water holders.

The_Penguin
06-03-2021, 03:33 PM
So Arctic Spa seems the be the gold standard, everyone that has one seems happy with em,

Fuck no!
Our first Arctic spa had a minor leak, then the shell started blistering. Paradise Bay tech came out, took pictures, talked to Arctic, and Arctic agreed to replace it under warranty.
Took months of reminders, and finally Mrs. Penguin got pissed off and called Arctic directly who finally got Paradise to bring the new one. New one was 2 inches taller wouldn't fit through the gate, had to use neighbours gate, and open a section of fence.

The new one had a bunch of minor jet problems, they replaced them with a better design. Then a minor leak. After the warranty expired pump 2 died.
Took it apart and replaced the impeller. A while later pump 2 motor not starting. Fuse blown. I checked, and the start capacitor was bad. New fuse, new cap, all good for a while. Then another leak (shutoff valve) hired a guy to deal with replacing it with the odd-sized hose.
A few years later pump 1 started cutting out, probably the motor overheating. Arctic used to use these weird motors from Italy, hard to get repaired.
I replaced the motor and wet end with an industry standard unit. Mounting was different so the intake hose wouldn't reach. Paid a guy to fight with the odd-sized intake hose and extend it.
The pump works great, now no heat.
Went to replace the heater element, it was actually a standard size. I opened up the plastic cover to unscrew the terminals. Totally sealed with epoxy.
Ordered the whole heat tube. It arrived yesterday, so this weekend maybe I'll get it in.
Oh and this one is blistering worse than the original.

ercchry
06-03-2021, 03:36 PM
Haha, well that makes me feel better about my coyote, perhaps it’s a vintage issue? Mine was late 2015 I think? Parent’s is a 2006, zero issues

ExtraSlow
06-03-2021, 03:46 PM
Hot tubs good. That's all I know.

ExtraSlow
06-03-2021, 03:49 PM
And is it true you can’t get someone pregnant having intercourse in hot tub, cause heat of the water kills the sperm? Asking for a friend, I mean asking for ExtraSlow

False.

bjstare
06-03-2021, 03:50 PM
Beachcomber makes good hot tubs.

Recommend bromine over chlorine, it's not nearly as harsh on skin or smelly as chlorine is. Still smelly though.

Fun fact that I expect no one will care about, my grandparents opened the first hot tub store on the corner at Centre St south :rofl:

Clipping from the Herald in 1988

ercchry
06-03-2021, 03:57 PM
I thought bromine was done?

bjstare
06-03-2021, 03:58 PM

:dunno: my parents still use it in theirs. Maybe my dad just hoarded 500lb of it.

ercchry
06-03-2021, 04:02 PM
:dunno: my parents still use it in theirs. Maybe my dad just hoarded 500lb of it.

I want to blame Tik-Tok for this vicious rumour

SKR
06-03-2021, 04:06 PM
I think eventually everyone who owns a hot tub fucks in it, and I don't think there's anything that can completely clean out all those jellyfish.

suntan
06-03-2021, 04:07 PM
I'm sterile, it's just prostate fluid everywhere!

ercchry
06-03-2021, 04:10 PM
Sexy hot tub parties always result in a drain and fill the next day :barf:

Not sure if there is more bodily fluids or more spilled drinks in there, but no chemicals are bringing that water back

SKR
06-03-2021, 04:15 PM
I don't think that's enough, but that's just me guessing. I've never had sex in a hot tub because I'm too ugly to have sex with. Maybe it would clear everything out.

Even if it wasn't for various stray floating sex mung coagulants, the idea of sitting with people in a slurry of asshole water doesn't appeal to me at all.

suntan
06-03-2021, 04:18 PM
Sex in water is painful for the guy because you end up with this weird vacuum effect.

ThePenIsMightier
06-03-2021, 04:22 PM
Sex in water is painful for the guy because you end up with this weird vacuum effect.

Is that what the other guy told you?

suntan
06-03-2021, 04:29 PM
Is that what the other guy told you?

Joke's on you, it was a fleshlight.

littledan
06-03-2021, 04:39 PM
You want to place it far away from your home structure. THat way when it catches fire it doesn't take your house with it.

Tik-Tok
06-03-2021, 04:40 PM
Beachcomber makes good hot tubs.

Recommend bromine over chlorine, it's not nearly as harsh on skin or smelly as chlorine is. Still smelly though.

Fun fact that I expect no one will care about, my grandparents opened the first hot tub store on the corner at Centre St south :rofl:

Clipping from the Herald in 1988

No shit? My father-in-law was half owner of Beachcomber Home Leisure decades ago, after your grandparents I assume. Unless your grandfather is Danny?

I want to blame Tik-Tok for this vicious rumour

Bromide is banned, Bromine is not.

Bromide was a system that used an electrolysis device to turn it into bromine, which made the entire hot tub almost maintenance free. Dozens of orgies and the chemical levels were almost always spot on. No weekly checks BS.

I'm still pissed it's banned.

danno
06-03-2021, 05:09 PM
Not sure if mentioned but electrical hook up is $1000-3000 depending on location vs panel location. Breaker alone is 300ish

Gman.45
06-03-2021, 05:16 PM
Ours is a 8 person Hydropool 790 Platinum. Probably a mid to mid-upper range unit, $20k plus, not sure exactly as our pool was paid for in a package deal with it. Had a Serenity 6 person model from the same company that was around $8k IIRC new before the new one.

Chemicals/maintaining is easy Buster, whoever you buy one from will take care of that in terms of supply and instructions.

The_Penguin
06-03-2021, 05:34 PM
Sodium bromide is banned in Canada.

TomcoPDR
06-03-2021, 06:32 PM
False.

Oh right, you have kids... forgot.

ExtraSlow
06-03-2021, 06:33 PM
Oh right, you have kids... forgot.

Yep. I was impregnated in a hot tub.

dirtsniffer
06-03-2021, 06:54 PM
Hot tubs good. That's all I know.

Especially in you live in airdrie

Tik-Tok
06-03-2021, 07:16 PM
Especially in you live in airdrie

I just assumed all those man made "canals" were giant hot tubs.

G
06-03-2021, 07:24 PM
We have kids so we got a swim spa instead. With a swim spa the kids can actually play and swim in it where a hot tub all they really can do is sit in it. Ours is 13 feet and can fit 11.

killramos
06-03-2021, 07:31 PM
I think you guys are massively overthinking this.

It’s a glorified bath tub you hang out with girls and drink in. With enough chemicals to kill all the nastiez.

Gman.45
06-03-2021, 07:49 PM
We have kids so we got a swim spa instead. With a swim spa the kids can actually play and swim in it where a hot tub all they really can do is sit in it. Ours is 13 feet and can fit 11.

Man that is exactly what I tried to buy but got overuled by the missus anti aircraft fire. They had a similar one, maybe a bit longer, (maybe not, it was indoors in the showroom and had a guy using a kayak in it demo-ing it when we saw it), but very close. Best of both worlds without the pita of having a pool sunk in the yard. Very nice, sure wish I'd gotten that instead of the tub/pool combo.

killramos
06-03-2021, 07:53 PM

Don’t overthink it boys

ThePenIsMightier
06-03-2021, 07:54 PM
I know a guy who went to a party in high school at this girl's house and her dad was one of this guy's teachers. They had a hot tub and he railed his GF in there, but pulled out, which is repugnant but he thought it was pretty funny at the time because he disliked that teacher, and, was bitter that he wasn't railing the daughter because she had cans from the hands of God and her boyfriend was this wannabe coke dealer loser.
Anyway - no shit - this guy's GF actually ended up getting preggers. But it wasn't likely from the hot tub seahorses... Probably.

*This reckless escapade was before CoVid.

But yeah, hot tubs make sense for those who use them 5x per week and for no one else. I bet that's only 3% of owners, but this will turn into a motorcycle mileage debate, so obviously everyone totes uses them. My neighbour has not been in theirs even once for over 60 days.
My electrician acquaintance says that "install is $1k" IF you put it in your basement, literally next to the breaker panel. Otherwise, he hasn't installed one that was under $2k. I believe the daily heating cost is slightly over $2.
I really enjoy them when I'm on vacation, but know I wouldn't get proper use out of a personal one so it's not on my radar.

killramos
06-03-2021, 07:57 PM
Not with that attitude

- Posted from the tub

G
06-03-2021, 08:08 PM
Lol

killramos
06-03-2021, 08:10 PM
Beauty

you&me
06-03-2021, 09:33 PM
Man that is exactly what I tried to buy but got overuled by the missus anti aircraft fire. They had a similar one, maybe a bit longer, (maybe not, it was indoors in the showroom and had a guy using a kayak in it demo-ing it when we saw it), but very close. Best of both worlds without the pita of having a pool sunk in the yard. Very nice, sure wish I'd gotten that instead of the tub/pool combo.

You're crazy. There's nothing wrong with a swimspa if that's what works for your family/yard/space, etc, but they're in no way comparable to an in-ground pool.

But since the OP lives on a lake, I imagine his swimming requirements are handled, so a tub fits the bill...

vengie
06-03-2021, 09:59 PM
Sold mine three days ago. Was great, but I bought a lemon.

Buy New, have warranty, make sure the insulation isn't that awful packed foam... You'll never find a leak.

Tik-Tok
06-03-2021, 10:16 PM
Sold mine three days ago. Was great, but I bought a lemon.

Buy New, have warranty, make sure the insulation isn't that awful packed foam... You'll never find a leak.

I was thinking of selling mine. What was yours and how much did you get for it?

mr2mike
06-03-2021, 10:22 PM
My neighbour has not been in theirs even once for over 60 days.

Quit staring and maybe he would.

ThePenIsMightier
06-03-2021, 10:34 PM
^LoL!
I think he's in Qatar or some shit. One of those strange workers.
Still, the water is getting fucked up with no chemical monitoring and they're pissing money away to heat a thing they don't need.

vengie
06-03-2021, 10:38 PM
I was thinking of selling mine. What was yours and how much did you get for it?

07 Coast Spa 7 seater.
Sold for $5500

Buster
06-03-2021, 11:04 PM
You're crazy. There's nothing wrong with a swimspa if that's what works for your family/yard/space, etc, but they're in no way comparable to an in-ground pool.

But since the OP lives on a lake, I imagine his swimming requirements are handled, so a tub fits the bill...

Yeah...I think ours would get used in conjunction with the lake. The kids run into the house and into the basement shower right now to warn up if the lake is cold.

Tik-Tok
06-04-2021, 07:15 AM
07 Coast Spa 7 seater.
Sold for $5500

Better than I thought. I was going to put my 2012 7 seater up for $5g, but I think I'll have to up that.

Yeah...I think ours would get used in conjunction with the lake. The kids run into the house and into the basement shower right now to warn up if the lake is cold.

Lake water in your hot tub? Ew. Then again kids in a hot tub are gross either way.

ExtraSlow
06-04-2021, 07:34 AM
Tubs are the same level of gross with lake water, kids, or just everyday adults. Humans are pretty disgusting creatures, but good news, the hot tub isn't making that any worse.

suntan
06-04-2021, 07:45 AM
If anything the chlorine is killing all the bad stuff.

bjstare
06-04-2021, 08:08 AM
Better than I thought. I was going to put my 2012 7 seater up for $5g, but I think I'll have to up that.

Yeah my parents are looking to replace theirs and the one they want is backordered for a year or so. Same as used cars I suppose.

RE: hot tub store, my grandparents didn't have business partners. Maybe your family bought it from mine haha.

Rocket1k78
06-04-2021, 10:14 AM

$6k wont get you much now unless you want a 2 seater or an old used one.

Yeah my parents are looking to replace theirs and the one they want is backordered for a year or so. Same as used cars I suppose.

RE: hot tub store, my grandparents didn't have business partners. Maybe your family bought it from mine haha.
This. Anything outdoor related is high demand

suntan
06-04-2021, 02:35 PM
Tell them you're putting the hot tub indoors, that'll knock off 50%.

gwill
06-04-2021, 05:11 PM
Here's a few things to consider.

Lots of companies advertise huge 8x8 or 9x9 tubs that hold very little water. There's lots of tubs with wasted space in them. Some tubs that are 9x9 will hold less water then some other tubs that are 7x7.

Energy costs should be $20 on high end with a nice end hot tub.

Lots of places will tell you insulating your tubs is bad. This is one of the biggest variables on construction out there. You'll hear all sorts of hilarious things when it comes to discussing this.

There will be a long wait for a hot tub. Smaller stores are typically getting less stock. If a store has inventory id be asking why. Be sure to ask what the price of that same model was pre covid. There is easily a 20% Increase from last year.

Companies with lots of inventory are most likely using a lot of knock off Chinese parts.

Many companies force you to buy parts from them when it comes to after care service. I'd ask about where else you can buy all their parts from if you decide to service your tub elsewhere down the road. Some manufacturers are super sleazy in this area.

Comfort comfort comfort comfort. This should be most important part to whatever tub you buy. You'll find all the extras hot tub companies like to distract you with won't matter once you start to relax in the hot tub. I found many hot tubs to be super shallow when you sat in them which becomes very uncomfortable.

Do your homework on alot of the gimmicks out there. For example a few people discussed salt systems being less chemically. Salt programs convert your "salt" to chlorine. If your goal is to get away from chlorine don't buy a "salt water" tub. Chlorine from a generator is no less chemically then chlorine you buy from a hot tub company.

Have fun with it!! Hot Tubs are awesome.

Tik-Tok
06-04-2021, 05:17 PM
Do your homework on alot of the gimmicks out there. For example a few people discussed salt systems being less chemically. Salt programs convert your "salt" to chlorine. If your goal is to get away from chlorine don't buy a "salt water" tub. Chlorine from a generator is no less chemically then chlorine you buy from a hot tub company.

That's true of Sodium Chloride Generators, butwas not true of Sodium Bromide Generators.

Bromine is way less chemically smelling than Chlorine.

killramos
06-04-2021, 05:21 PM
My perspective of the salt water being less chemically. Is because it’s being constantly generated you need to need to maintain lower levels to keep your tub in good shape. Most tubs have way too much and owners wait for it to dissipate. Sure you could be hell on top of our chems and keep it at the right level, but who wants to do that shit very few days.

Another big one for me on the salt is lower maintanence. For me when I go several weeks between seeing my tub is hugely valuable to me. I haven’t added chemicals to my tub all season.

No ragrets on the salt.

suntan
06-04-2021, 05:24 PM
Lid and stairs are usually extra BTW.

Insulated lid will deteriorate after a few years, they also get super heavy due them getting waterlogged.

Buster
06-04-2021, 05:24 PM
which system disperses semen better?

asking for SKR

roopi
06-04-2021, 06:47 PM
Lid and stairs are usually extra BTW.

Insulated lid will deteriorate after a few years, they also get super heavy due them getting waterlogged.

Covers deteriorate because you are closing them too soon after certain chemicals. I've had a Jacuzzi tub for 11 years and replaced the cover last year. As for the tub first issue I had with it was this year with a flow sensor failing. Other then that it has been so easy. I would totally recommend going for a Jacuzzi tub.

brucebanner
06-05-2021, 07:56 AM
Costco had a sale recently with beachcomber hot tubs. We ordered the 678 model. $10.5k with delivery and extended warranty. Up to 150 days wait until we get it. If you were to order directly through beachcomber, it's roughly a 8-10 month wait but they apparently they needed a much quicker turn around for the Costco orders.

Edit: was quoted $1000 for the power portion.

Have a friend that's going to do it for considerably cheaper though.

suntan
06-05-2021, 08:42 AM
Covers deteriorate because you are closing them too soon after certain chemicals. I've had a Jacuzzi tub for 11 years and replaced the cover last year. As for the tub first issue I had with it was this year with a flow sensor failing. Other then that it has been so easy. I would totally recommend going for a Jacuzzi tub.

I’m just saying that you’ll have to replace them eventually. Mine’s doing fine too after eight years.

Gman.45
06-06-2021, 01:41 PM

Point taken, but there were other factors. Primarily that the home we put the pool/tub in at has a ground level large deck with one of those semi transparent polymer/polycarb/whatever roof/fence built over the entire surface - the idea being we were going to put the swim/spa in there. In winter it can be enclosed easily, which meant comfortable year round use. That was my primary motivator, I wanted to be able to use the thing year round, now we only get to use the pool 4, at most 5 months of the year. We have the new hot tub on the deck under the roof, there is room there for 2 or 3 more tubs that size, ie fitting the large swim spa I wanted (it's probably about 1.5x as long as the one in the pics in this thread, having looked it up and compared them) would have been no problem.

You are right though, the in ground pool is much preferred in the late spring/summer months, and we have no major regrets. I should have just got both, the swim spa instead of the 8 man tub, and the pool. Swimming is one of the best exercises (for me, SLE/Lupus messed up my joints/etc badly, so heavy lifting is much more difficult, swimming being so low impact is also the best cardio I can do without paying for it in pain later). The swim spa has all kinds of different programs for swimming in place, and next to the above reasons, was a strong #2 on my list of reasons in the "for" category, again, giving the capability to swim year round.

I’m just saying that you’ll have to replace them eventually. Mine’s doing fine too after eight years.

Same here, we put this protective stuff the dealer gave us on our covers a couple times per year, and our old tub that we sold when we got the newer one, was about 6 years old, and its cover looked great still.

Euro_Trash
06-06-2021, 07:59 PM
My perspective of the salt water being less chemically. Is because it’s being constantly generated you need to need to maintain lower levels to keep your tub in good shape. Most tubs have way too much and owners wait for it to dissipate. Sure you could be hell on top of our chems and keep it at the right level, but who wants to do that shit very few days.

Another big one for me on the salt is lower maintanence. For me when I go several weeks between seeing my tub is hugely valuable to me. I haven’t added chemicals to my tub all season.

No ragrets on the salt.

Our one regret with ours is going chlorine over salt - the sales guy told us chlorine is better for hot tubs at vacation properties but my old man bought a salt tub and it’s night and day in terms of maintenance.

Ours also had built in speakers that shorted the entire tub one day - unplugged them and no issues since (not to mention they are so tingy versus Bluetooth speaker options nowadays).

We were about 2 minutes away from buying a swim spa for the house but decided we would wait until the kids are a bit older. We are also in the tub at the cabin multiple times per day and we are worried it would lose its allure a bit with one at home. TBD

killramos
06-07-2021, 07:42 AM
Yea instead of speakers I just picked up a Sonos Move that works a million times better.

I used mine all weekend, even when it was hot out.

It is just a nice place to be and we cooled it down a couple times to let the kiddo come for a swim.

suntan
06-07-2021, 08:58 AM
Ford: "We put $8 speakers in our F150s!"

Hot Tub manufacturers: "Hold my beer"

CLiVE
06-07-2021, 10:24 AM
My electrician acquaintance says that "install is $1k" IF you put it in your basement, literally next to the breaker panel. Otherwise, he hasn't installed one that was under $2k. I believe the daily heating cost is slightly over $2.
I really enjoy them when I'm on vacation, but know I wouldn't get proper use out of a personal one so it's not on my radar.

My install was $800 in April. I did have the outside box roughed in when I built the house, and the tub is located very close to it though. They still had to add a breaker.

prae
06-07-2021, 04:08 PM
all this talk of replacing water in hottubs gives me a stupid question. I assume y'all are draining your hot tubs into your sewer connections; is there a clutch setup worth considering in a new build?

killramos
06-07-2021, 04:09 PM
I just drain onto my neighbours lawn

ExtraSlow
06-07-2021, 05:12 PM
I think a sizeable fraction drain into lawn or a swale2of thier yard has one.

SKR
06-07-2021, 06:14 PM
I think a sizeable fraction drain into lawn or a swale2of thier yard has one.

https://i.imgur.com/2De77ZM.gif

ExtraSlow
06-07-2021, 06:32 PM
myahdsdrswullung

SKR
06-07-2021, 06:50 PM
Serves me right for shit talking someone's spelling. "Execution" is spelled wrong in the jif I posted. Fuck. I'm doing terrific.

ThePenIsMightier
06-07-2021, 07:03 PM
It's ok there, Big Shoots.

The_Penguin
06-07-2021, 09:03 PM
It's ok there, Big Shoots.

Allegedly

sexualbanana
06-09-2021, 01:28 PM
I think eventually everyone who owns a hot tub fucks in it, and I don't think there's anything that can completely clean out all those jellyfish.

My friends with hot tubs have had plenty of same-day Tinder pulls just by mentioning they have a hot tub.

Tik-Tok
06-09-2021, 01:39 PM
Can't say I ever have. Lots of foreplay, but she swallows like a good wife should.

ThePenIsMightier
06-09-2021, 01:39 PM
My friends with hot tubs have had plenty of same-day Tinder pulls just by mentioning they have a hot tub.

Gross. You don't think they're full of shit? I can't see what would make a woman excited about it.
It's probably deep in the bottom half of reasonable places to screw. You're likely faced with that pushing a bathing suit to the side thing, someone is bound to slip at some point and get a mouthful of bromine water; unless the girl was already soaking through her bathing suit you're stuck with that slipperiness of water which basically has that squeaky friction that just isn't good enough... Now it's taking forever and you're worried about the noise.

It's really not got that much going for it.

suntan
06-09-2021, 02:02 PM
Can't say I ever have. Lots of foreplay, but she swallows like a good wife should.

You know your wife loves you when she drinks hot tub water.

SJW
06-09-2021, 02:18 PM

I have a hot tub but my wife hates me so I may be the exception to this.

SKR
06-10-2021, 04:49 AM
Gross. You don't think they're full of shit? I can't see what would make a woman excited about it.
It's probably deep in the bottom half of reasonable places to screw. You're likely faced with that pushing a bathing suit to the side thing, someone is bound to slip at some point and get a mouthful of bromine water; unless the girl was already soaking through her bathing suit you're stuck with that slipperiness of water which basically has that squeaky friction that just isn't good enough... Now it's taking forever and you're worried about the noise.

It's really not got that much going for it.

Maybe you add some cornstarch to the water and now the whole thing is lube. Rock and roll.

ThePenIsMightier
06-10-2021, 06:29 AM
Maybe you add some cornstarch to the water and now the whole thing is lube. Rock and roll.

Stop giving away all the inside tactics!! I live quite close to Buster and I need him to pull the trigger on this so I can have a cum bucket to rail some bar sluts in without wrecking mine!!

suntan
06-10-2021, 07:21 AM
AFAIC Buster's backyard is now a brothel.

ThePenIsMightier
06-10-2021, 07:51 AM
AFAIC Buster's backyard is now a brothel.

Onky once he finishes the fruity reno's. Right now it's like Woodstock-94 and I keep getting (ok - it's probably some giving) UTI's back there...

Buster
06-10-2021, 08:29 AM
Onky once he finishes the fruity reno's. Right now it's like Woodstock-94 and I keep getting (ok - it's probably some giving) UTI's back there...

It's like woodstock back there right now. Minus the music, and the horny chicks on too much whatever drug.

Tik-Tok
06-10-2021, 08:36 AM
So there's horny chicks not on enough drugs? All this time I thought horny singles were in my area, but they're all in yours.

Buster
06-10-2021, 08:38 AM
So there's horny chicks not on enough drugs? All this time I thought horny singles were in my area, but they're all in yours.

sounds like you got no game, son.

ThePenIsMightier
06-10-2021, 08:40 AM

I don't have time to look into it. Too busy with my new technique that Cochrane casino owners don't want me to know about, but is totally legal...

Tik-Tok
06-10-2021, 08:50 AM

If I had game, I'd be a trophy husband like 89coupe.

Buster
06-10-2021, 09:00 AM

oh you savage

ExtraSlow
06-10-2021, 09:02 AM

Accurate.

schurchill39
09-28-2021, 10:09 PM
Where is everyone going for their chemicals and a new cover? The house I bought came with a tub so I'm trying to figure it out. I tried going to Western Pump but the guy there was a total cunt so I'm thinking about hitting up Hot Water Leisure Scapes or RNR. I have some kind of Beachcomber but I'll have to take apart this shitty cobbled together landing/deck thing to find the model number plate.

The_Penguin
09-29-2021, 05:33 AM
Where is everyone going for their chemicals and a new cover? The house I bought came with a tub so I'm trying to figure it out. I tried going to Western Pump but the guy there was a total cunt so I'm thinking about hitting up Hot Water Leisure Scapes or RNR. I have some kind of Beachcomber but I'll have to take apart this shitty cobbled together landing/deck thing to find the model number plate.

I got a cover from hottubcoverscanada.ca It was fairly good. 7 years of exposure to the sun and it's starting to get a lot of rips. There are a few online companies that custom make covers. Mine was $385 back then, would likely be closer to $500 today.
I get my chlorine and shock from Home Depot mainly for convenience, and it's tiny bit cheaper.

killramos
09-29-2021, 06:15 AM
I buy most Chema on Amazon. But I think we use Rocky Mountain pools and spas for the big stuff (cover). But they are the dealer for our grand (hot springs).

tcon
09-29-2021, 06:53 AM
Anyone have any spare head rests / pillows for Arctic Spa hot tubs? They appear to be quite hard to come by

Tik-Tok
09-29-2021, 06:57 AM
I got a cover from hottubcoverscanada.ca It was fairly good.

Just received our new cover from these guys. Was $600, but I also got the thickest cover they offer. Took 4 weeks from day of order, to day of delivery.

We buy our chemicals from Paradise Bay, because it's close and also where we bought it from. Have never shopped around though, but it's a once a year purchase, so don't really care.

Anyone have any spare head rests / pillows for Arctic Spa hot tubs? They appear to be quite hard to come by

There seems to be a shortage for some reason. I wanted to replace mine too, but can't get them anywhere.

SJW
09-29-2021, 08:31 AM

I may. I'll look later.