PDA

View Full Version : value of an older firebird?

BanaBanuFerry
04-02-2004, 12:34 PM
Hey! I've been doing some looking around for a car and I came across this 1983 firebird. The guy who owned it never drove it in the winter, it's got no rust underneath or otherwise. The interior is in greeat shape too. One light seems to be going bad,though. They raise together without problem but one of them doesnt always close when you want it to. The engine is new with very few KMs on it. (he said it's 350hp...sounds kinda crazy to me...)He also said there is a slight leak of transmission fluid that he is going to fix before he sells it. He is asking $3000 or best offer for it. How much do you guys feel a car like this is worth?

86max
04-02-2004, 12:51 PM
You might want to try looking up the book value of it on the net, or get it appraised if you're seriously considering it.

QuasarCav
04-02-2004, 12:51 PM
depends

350hp, yeah right unless there is something other than the POS 305 in there!

If it is in pristine shape with low km's and a 305 auto, 2500-3000 isn't bad.

make sure he doesn't ghetto fix the tranny or you could be up shit creek buying a new th400!

DonJuan
04-02-2004, 12:59 PM
350 Hp? Not a chance. In '83 there were 3 trim levels. Firebird 4cyl (2.5) Firebird SE 6cyl (2.8) or Trans AM 5.0 (305). Either way you not lookin at 350 hp. the 4cy cranks out a whopping 92 hp and 132 tq, the 6 isn't any better at 107hp 145 tq, and the bad ass v8 is 150hp 240tq. There is the rare v8 though with 9.5/1 compression which had 190hp and 250tq. Hope it helps. It isn't worth 3g's most likely 2g's

QuasarCav
04-02-2004, 01:46 PM
^^^^^^^

Yeah, i think it is called the 305 h.o.

Never seen one,i think it had the CFI, cross fire injection. pretty much two TBI units on the intake manifold.

The 305 is pretty slow for a torquey motor, my friend has a 83 camaro and it is no threat to my lowly j-body!

Offer him 2000 if you have a good feeling about it, if not it's up to your discretion.

fast95pony
04-02-2004, 07:24 PM
I had an '86 Trans Am with the 305 engine.It was carbed engine and made a whopping 160 hp . In order to make 350 hp, the owner would need to do a LOT of work to it, and would probably be asking for a lot more cash. I smell something rotten... :dunno:

Ducati
04-03-2004, 09:23 PM
Yeah, It smells like the beach at low tide.
If the guy is lying to you about the motor, what else is he shitting you about.
My advice - RUN! Run fast, run far.
There are better cars out there for $2000.
I recently bought (and resold) a 1985 Mustang LX V8 for $750, in really good shape (faded paint, small rust hole under rear trunk lid, but no other rust, and good runner, Needed a heater core, which was a pain in the ass to install. and a battery)
That is just an example.
Why do you want a V8?

illeagle
04-03-2004, 09:25 PM
offer to trade for a brand new propane tank for his trailor.. :clap:

T5_X
04-03-2004, 09:53 PM
You sure he didn't say 350 cubic inches? :rofl: Anyway, if its a new V8, that he's done up, 350 HP is very easy to get out of a sbc. What tranny is it? If he has 350HP, likely he has more torque, and the best of any T5 manual that was in an F body could only handle 300 ft-lbs.

We-re gonna need lots more info, maybe detailed pics of the engine bay to see if he's lying or not.

barmanjay
04-03-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by BanaBanuFerry
Hey! I've been doing some looking around for a car and I came across this 1983 firebird. The guy who owned it never drove it in the winter, it's got no rust underneath or otherwise. The interior is in greeat shape too. One light seems to be going bad,though. They raise together without problem but one of them doesnt always close when you want it to. The engine is new with very few KMs on it. (he said it's 350hp...sounds kinda crazy to me...)He also said there is a slight leak of transmission fluid that he is going to fix before he sells it. He is asking $3000 or best offer for it. How much do you guys feel a car like this is worth?

Sounds like the guy put a new engine in it "engine is new..... few kms...". Quite possible he put a 350 into it, and for the price he's asking, quite possible he's bored and stroked the engine, and it is possible to get 350hp out of an older 350ci motor, and the leaky tranny thing,.... very common with older gm auto tranny's hooked up to 350's, don't park it on a hill or it'll just piss out.
As for no rust,..... I don't believe it,.... probably alot of bondo, but,.... If the body IS completely rust free (check by knocking or light magnet), almost perfect paint job, interior is imacualte,.... I mean imaculate!!!, then I would consider 3k. otherwise no...... but do keep in mind a new 350 or similar crated to your door before you can put it in is min $1700.
Personally I don't like the sound of a leaky tranny, will need an upgrade or re/re in about a year guaranteed, tranny fluid thickener/hardner may prolong the tranny, but who knows.