PDA

View Full Version : Canada bans ICE car sales by 2035

Pages : [1] 2

rage2
06-29-2021, 01:20 PM
https://driving.ca/column/motor-mouth/motor-mouth-canada-moves-to-ban-internal-combustion-engines-by-2035

No actual plan on how to drive EV adoption yet, but expect incentives to get much bigger.

Mitsu3000gt
06-29-2021, 01:24 PM
I was looking at Teslas, and unless I am mistaken (I hope I am), they don't give you the incentives on any EV's you'd actually want to buy, only the slow or entry level models. Does anyone know if that is the case?

killramos
06-29-2021, 01:31 PM
No dead natives to see here… loooook shiny new electric cars!

- - - Updated - - -

I was looking at Teslas, and unless I am mistaken (I hope I am), they don't give you the incentives on any EV's you'd actually want to buy, only the slow or entry level models. Does anyone know if that is the case?

Actually if you an S or X they will charge you luxury tax instead lol

ThePenIsMightier
06-29-2021, 01:34 PM
I smell Kyoto.

zipdoa
06-29-2021, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see a cultural shift towards simulating activities we used to enjoy in real life in order to reduce emissions (ie: sim racing). I'm sad to see the end of the ICE, but if this summer is any indication, we (not just Canada, obv) need to change how we consume and interact with the environment. That being said, I'm not a scientist so maybe this record breaking heat is a normal cyclic pattern unrelated to the industrial revolution.

Why would the gov't incentivize any of the performance tesla models? The base model provides all functions required of a commuter vehicle. Performance is a luxury - if you can afford $100k+ vehicles, then a $10k rebate isn't going to make or break your purchase decision. If the goal is mass adoption, catering towards a wealthy niche of enthusiasts doesn't seem like a logical pursuit.

And perhaps a topic for another thread - are climate lockdowns an impending reality?

Xtrema
06-29-2021, 01:39 PM
I smell Kyoto.

You meant Paris. Kyoto smells fine. The Japanese are a clean bunch....

https://www.firstpost.com/tech/auto-tech/volkswagen-will-phase-out-internal-combustion-engine-vehicles-in-europe-by-2035-9758651.html

VW also say no ICE in Europe by 2030-35.

Mitsu3000gt
06-29-2021, 01:47 PM
Actually if you an S or X they will charge you luxury tax instead lol

Well that sucks. If their goal is to incentivize people to buy EVs that seems rather counterintuitive. I was just looking at the Model 3 and Y and as soon as you go beyond the most basic model the incentive seems to disappear.

Xtrema
06-29-2021, 01:55 PM
Well that sucks. If their goal is to incentivize people to buy EVs that seems rather counterintuitive. I was just looking at the Model 3 and Y and as soon as you go beyond the most basic model the incentive seems to disappear.

There is no incentive on Y. Only 3. That said, the cheapest AWD EV is ID.4 at $48K after incentive. At that price, it's definitely cheaper to operate than RAV4.

flipstah
06-29-2021, 01:55 PM
ICE for Clunkers 2030?

Buster
06-29-2021, 01:57 PM
lol, our gov't bureaucrats planning 15 years into the future.

Mitsu3000gt
06-29-2021, 02:01 PM
There is no incentive on Y. Only 3. That said, the cheapest AWD EV is ID.4 at $48K after incentive. At that price, it's definitely cheaper to operate than RAV4.

I like the looks of the ID4 but it seems like a pretty terrible vehicle from what I've read about it so far. Reviews have been rather negative. The bar is so high with Tesla that it doesn't help the comparisons though. The downside with Tesla is the cheapest variant worth buying looks to be around $70K with no incentives.

lilmira
06-29-2021, 02:04 PM
government planning? the utopia will unfold right in front of your eyes on its own.

ExtraSlow
06-29-2021, 02:06 PM
Agree. Even after Trudeau gets the next majority government, and another one after that, there's a lot of time for this to be bent, twisted, changed or cancelled. This is not going to be anything like the initial press release.

Xtrema
06-29-2021, 02:08 PM
I like the looks of the ID4 but it seems like a pretty terrible vehicle from what I've read about it so far. Reviews have been rather negative. The bar is so high with Tesla that it doesn't help the comparisons though. The downside with Tesla is the cheapest variant worth buying looks to be around $70K with no incentives.

v1 with shitty software, awful touch control and cost cutting material throughout. But the pricing is decent in the world of EV and range is decent. For that price, you ain't getting AWD with decent options. And if you want a FWD base model, it's only $40K after incentive.

Tik-Tok
06-29-2021, 02:14 PM
Agree. Even after Trudeau gets the next majority government, and another one after that, there's a lot of time for this to be bent, twisted, changed or cancelled. This is not going to be anything like the initial press release.

It'll still happen, but zero infrastructure will be built to support it, and we'll have brown outs and alternating household charging days .

killramos
06-29-2021, 02:17 PM
Didn’t California just issue a notice for people to not charge their EV’s because they ran out of juice?

Welcome to the future everyone. Except for us it will be “ please don’t use your EV’s or people won’t be able to heat their homes “

Disoblige
06-29-2021, 02:20 PM
Didn’t California just issue a notice for people to not charge their EV’s because they ran out of juice?

Welcome to the future everyone. Except for us it will be “ please don’t use your EV’s or people won’t be able to heat their homes “
All good. In a couple decades when snowstorms and heat waves hit, we'll all be charging our EVs and heat our homes with a portable generator that we fill with gas.

vengie
06-29-2021, 02:23 PM

Simple solution. Burn more Nat Gas.

Duh.

killramos
06-29-2021, 02:23 PM
End of the day, the only people the Liberals are really hurting are poor people.

Energy prices will skyrocket. Cars will be priced out of affordability, and those you can afford are going to redefine the term econobox. Transit will become overloaded and underfunded to compensate. Healthy fresh food will be out of reach for most. The knock on effects will be crippling and drive millions into poverty.

But hey, there will be less CO2 in the atmosphere. People are totally going to notice that effect on every day life while they starve if they are working at all.

Xtrema
06-29-2021, 04:05 PM
Cars will be priced out of affordability, and those you can afford are going to redefine the term econobox. Transit will become overloaded and underfunded to compensate.

Will drive an AMI before I get back into transit.

dirtsniffer
06-29-2021, 04:06 PM
good news is we can stop cutting down trees and start harvesting the money that grows on them

JustinL
06-29-2021, 04:07 PM

The SR+ is the only one that gets an incentive. I bought one expecting it to be slow, but was pleasantly surprised by how quick it is at legal speeds. Try one out some time before eliminating them from your search. The depreciation on a Model 3 is very low, so you could always flip it in a year if you don't like it.

firebane
06-29-2021, 04:13 PM
Boy Canada sure is funny if they think this will happen or even be good for the general population.

ThePenIsMightier
06-29-2021, 04:17 PM
good news is we can stop cutting down trees and start harvesting the money that grows on them

We need to cut down trees because only paper bags are #Eco to use at the grocery store.

Pfffttt! I was at the grocery store the other day and some boomer tried to tell me that stores used to use paper bags and stopped in favour of plastic bags because cutting trees down was bad.
What a stupid boomer. I hate boomers. I wish they all got 'Rona and died.

Mitsu3000gt
06-29-2021, 04:19 PM
The SR+ is the only one that gets an incentive. I bought one expecting it to be slow, but was pleasantly surprised by how quick it is at legal speeds. Try one out some time before eliminating them from your search. The depreciation on a Model 3 is very low, so you could always flip it in a year if you don't like it.

I was wondering about their resale as well, so that's good to know. I would have thought due to the nature of battery degradation and the presumably enormous cost of replacement, that would mean high depreciation. I also don't know if they are like other batteries where if people abuse them, they can degrade very quickly. Obviously they are going to be better than a standard lithium battery but I would be curious to know how much the owner can influence battery health.

Xtrema
06-29-2021, 04:23 PM
It'll still happen, but zero infrastructure will be built to support it, and we'll have brown outs and alternating household charging days .

Well if 2M EVs in AB all need 7kw to charge, that adds 14,000MW of demand to the grid. Our winter peak has been <12,000MW. If you are telling we need to double our generation in a decade or so, along with increasing carbon tax. It doesn't take a genius to figure out where the electricity prices are going to be and why the Danish is dropping 1/2 a bil into the Vulcan solar farm.

rage2
06-29-2021, 04:23 PM
All the new EVs feel fast. I've driven a Niro, Mach-E, base models, and they all feel really peppy.

I was wondering about their resale as well, so that's good to know. I would have thought due to the nature of battery degradation and the presumably enormous cost of replacement, that would mean high depreciation. I also don't know if they are like other batteries where if people abuse them, they can degrade very quickly. Obviously they are going to be better than a standard lithium battery but I would be curious to know how much the owner can influence battery health.
Tesla's are the only EVs that have such low depreciation. I haven't seen it from other brands yet. Probably a combination of supply/demand, continual increase in price, and Elon Musk haha.

JustinL
06-29-2021, 04:36 PM
Tesla's are the only EVs that have such low depreciation. I haven't seen it from other brands yet. Probably a combination of supply/demand, continual increase in price, and Elon Musk haha.
Never bet against a cult company!
If getting attention is important to you, the Model 3 gets a lot of attention and thumbs up.

killramos
06-29-2021, 04:45 PM
Making a declaration that vehicles are banned in 2035 is political genius. Get to claim all the woke points, but almost certainly have no chance of still being in government by then and responsible for the fallout.

They also didn’t pass any legislation on this. Just made a sweeping declaration, so the whole thing hold no water.

dirtsniffer
06-29-2021, 05:43 PM
Guess the campaign promises are getting underway

adam c
06-29-2021, 06:39 PM
Welcome the multi day road trips to go anywhere

Tik-Tok
06-29-2021, 07:09 PM
Welcome the multi day road trips to go anywhere

Current RV trailers will become obsolete, and you'll have to buy ones with massive battery banks built into the structure.

killramos
06-29-2021, 07:12 PM
Just more evidence proving my theory that the EV market is super hot right now

finboy
06-29-2021, 07:13 PM
Good thing I only drive cars that are around 15 years old, by the time this impacts me I’ll just make sure I have a farm tank on my property so I can keep enjoying fun cars (specifically noisy ones with manual transmissions)

ThePenIsMightier
06-29-2021, 07:23 PM
Will we run the flags at quarter mast to recognize the atrocities against the automotive workers in Eastern Canada?

adam c
06-29-2021, 07:35 PM
Current RV trailers will become obsolete, and you'll have to buy ones with massive battery banks built into the structure.

With current EVs a normal car would take about 3 days just to drive to Vancouver, then 3 days back, who the hell wants to do that

ThePenIsMightier
06-29-2021, 07:37 PM
With current EVs a normal car would take about 3 days just to drive to Vancouver, then 3 days back, who the hell wants to do that

Everyone. Pfffttt! Thanks, Boomer.
How does my 1920's hat and beard wax look while I'm atop this penny farthing?

ExtraSlow
06-29-2021, 07:39 PM
Agree, who wants to go to Vancouver? Gross.

killramos
06-29-2021, 07:40 PM

What reason do we have to drive that far.

Stay safe stay home.

finboy
06-29-2021, 07:42 PM

Duh, technology on batteries will obviously rapidly accelerate beyond current chemistry knowledge, while electrical grids magically triple in capacity in the next 14 years to solve for this - Reddit Canada

killramos
06-29-2021, 07:43 PM
And we will make the rich pay for it

ThePenIsMightier
06-29-2021, 07:46 PM
Duh, technology on batteries will obviously rapidly accelerate beyond current chemistry knowledge, while electrical grids magically triple in capacity in the next 14 years to solve for this - Reddit Canada

Wins internet on Canada Day Eve Eve!

- - - Updated - - -

And we will make the rich pay for it

That's right! All those fat cats with combined family incomes over $75k need to pay their share!!!
Their uppance hath come!

arcticcat522
06-29-2021, 08:25 PM
Everyone is thinking too small. You will own nothing and be happy. Hyper loops everywhere!!!

jwslam
06-29-2021, 08:51 PM
if this summer is any indication, we (not just Canada, obv) need to change how we consume and interact with the environment. That being said, I'm not a scientist so maybe this record breaking heat is a normal cyclic pattern unrelated to the industrial revolution.
It's obvious that after a year of being stuck inside, now we're being told to stay inside... God is crazy y'all.

But really why is there nobody that's done math on how covid reduced traffic, but that same amount or even more pollution was caused by takeout packaging / other increased disposables.

littledan
06-29-2021, 09:02 PM
I am so sick of this virtue signalling garbage. The current trudeau govt is out of control. Let's ban ice engines with no forethought to the actual logistics involved in that decision. Not everyone lives in downtown toronto. Trudeau needs to go.

zipdoa
06-29-2021, 09:12 PM
(Let’s remember - new ICE sales are banned @ 2035, presumably driving existing ICE’s is no issue)

I wonder how this will affect the price of vehicles? With the increasing availability of parts via 3D printing, it stands to reason that enthusiasts will be able to own their ICE vehicles indefinitely.

However, I would be bias towards Diesel engines, as producing your own fuel will be a realistic proposition. Is anyone (aside Porsche) developing a Bio-Gasoline? I’m not a chemist, can anyone chime in on why diesel is relatively easy to produce at home? Never heard of anyone doing this with gas.

killramos
06-29-2021, 09:21 PM
The goal is to make everything more expensive. And make people increasingly more reliant on government.

finboy
06-30-2021, 05:46 AM
(Let’s remember - new ICE sales are banned @ 2035, presumably driving existing ICE’s is no issue)

I wonder how this will affect the price of vehicles? With the increasing availability of parts via 3D printing, it stands to reason that enthusiasts will be able to own their ICE vehicles indefinitely.

However, I would be bias towards Diesel engines, as producing your own fuel will be a realistic proposition. Is anyone (aside Porsche) developing a Bio-Gasoline? I’m not a chemist, can anyone chime in on why diesel is relatively easy to produce at home? Never heard of anyone doing this with gas.

I still expect you will be able to buy gas like you buy race fuel now, it will be expensive but available for enthusiasts. Regulation virtue signalling to get votes from normies is my biggest worry. My concern is that areas in Europe are banning ice cars period. I could see an annoying a druh 2.0 type getting on a city council, adjusting their stupid fucking glasses and says “calgary needs to be more forward thinking like Europe! No ICE cars in 30km/h zones”

Xtrema
06-30-2021, 12:26 PM

Current RV trailers will be the new collectible as the new inferior ones laden with battery are less cable/more hassle.

Read the fine print. This is ICE ban on cars and light trucks. So by 2030, everyone is driving a F250 and F350. Mission accomplished.

finboy
06-30-2021, 12:45 PM
Current RV trailers will be the new collectible as the new inferior ones laden with battery are less cable/more hassle.

Read the fine print. This is ICE ban on cars and light trucks. So by 2030, everyone is driving a F250 and F350. Mission accomplished.

Super-duties for all, and a double-cricket sub in every pot

Inzane
06-30-2021, 12:52 PM
Everyone buy brand new ICE cars in 2034, then don’t buy any EVs for the next 5+ years after the ban!

Then what…. :D

vengie
06-30-2021, 12:56 PM
Everyone buy brand new ICE cars in 2034, then don’t buy any EVs for the next 5+ years after the ban!

Then what…. :D

Someone doesn't care about polar bears....

davidI
06-30-2021, 01:29 PM

Exactly this. If they were planning 15 years into the future they would have started building-out better electrical grids and mandating charging points for all infrastructure projects as stimulus rather than all of the pointless spending they've made over the last decade.

It will be amazing when there are 23 million electric cars on the road fighting over 1 million charging plugs every night.

I guess that's why their first move was to ban guns...

killramos
06-30-2021, 01:31 PM
I can’t wait until people figure out leaving an EV parked on the road 24/7 isn’t particularly conducive to keeping it charged.

Imagine R2 communities with 2-3 high gauge charging cables slinked across the sidewalk every duplex.

GT.....O?
06-30-2021, 02:20 PM
From the article...."Alghabra says that more than $600 million has been already spent to get 90,000 Canadians into zero-emissions vehicles. For a little context, the Canadian market for cars and light duty trucks is somewhere around 1.8 million units."
Edit: 1.8 million units per year?? maybe??

Ummmm....... what? I must be missing something here

killramos
06-30-2021, 02:22 PM
Net zero emissions vehicles? Do these people know where our electricity comes from?

ThePenIsMightier
06-30-2021, 02:31 PM
Net zero emissions vehicles? Do these people know where our electricity comes from?

Bro - it comes from holes in the wall, Idiot!
Stop being part of the problem and start being part of the solution, Maaan!

jutes
06-30-2021, 02:31 PM

Dams and solar power duh.

Mitsu3000gt
06-30-2021, 02:33 PM
Isn't most of AB at least dual-gen now or are we still on a lot of coal? With $4.00/GJ nat gas though they are probably burning coal anyway haha.

killramos
06-30-2021, 02:38 PM
Roof solar panels have got to be like 90% of Albertas generation by now right?

ZenOps
06-30-2021, 03:36 PM
Time to build a wind powered propeller car that goes faster than the wind behind it.

yCsgoLc_fzI

ExtraSlow
06-30-2021, 06:15 PM
143% last I checked.

Tik-Tok
06-30-2021, 06:46 PM
You guys are forgetting all the wind farms. There's so much hot air blowing in from Vancouver, we can generate infinite energy. I'm amazed Ontario hasn't harnessed all of it coming from Ottawa too.

littledan
07-01-2021, 12:07 AM
If we could just find a way to harness all of the power from turdopes bindy dancing we could power a fleet of nuclear submarines

davidI
07-01-2021, 12:39 AM
Good thing we have the infrastructure in place for existing EV already :rofl:

https://thedriven.io/2021/06/30/tesla-owners-line-up-at-superchargers-amid-record-canada-temperatures/

ZenOps
07-02-2021, 09:41 AM
I've got a suggestion for Elon. Put solar panels along that waiting line to get to the charge stations in case of overflow. Then the cars wont be roasting while waiting, and they might be able to trickle charge an extra slot on these crazy sunny hot days.

mr2mike
07-02-2021, 07:17 PM

I think this will drop the price of gasoline and ICE vehicles will become highly coveted causing higher car prices.
The current EnMax infrastructure barely can hold up everyone installing AC. Can't imagine everyone charging cars @ 6pm.

davidI
07-03-2021, 01:23 AM
I think this will drop the price of gasoline and ICE vehicles will become highly coveted causing higher car prices.
The current EnMax infrastructure barely can hold up everyone installing AC. Can't imagine everyone charging cars @ 6pm.

Gasoline prices going down? Don't worry, there's a TAX for that!

jwslam
07-03-2021, 07:51 AM
I've got a suggestion for Elon. Put solar panels along that waiting line to get to the charge stations in case of overflow. Then the cars wont be roasting while waiting, and they might be able to trickle charge an extra slot on these crazy sunny hot days.
Better idea: Build the solar charging into the car like Hyundai Sonata

mr2mike
07-03-2021, 09:25 AM
Gasoline prices going down? Don't worry, there's a TAX for that!

True. Tax the gas to hand subsidies to the EV's.
Then when most have EV's, tax increases on the electrical bills.

Maxt
07-03-2021, 10:35 AM
Better idea: Build the solar charging into the car like Hyundai Sonata
I wonder what the hail coverage cost will be like on that car?

mr2mike
07-04-2021, 06:36 PM
I wish people were told honestly why Vancouver gas prices are higher than in Hope BC. Its not price spikes. It's the added taxes that Metro Vancouver has on gasoline vs rest of BC.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/gasoline-prices-expected-to-continue-their-climb-in-b-c-experts-say

killramos
07-04-2021, 06:41 PM
Everyone knows is so the Alberta oil companies can make an extra buck or two

npham
07-04-2021, 06:50 PM
It will be interesting to see where governments will get their money to maintain roads and highways when ICE users are not enough to keep up with routine maintenance. There should be a tax per charging hour to offset the wear and tear EV's have on the existing infrastructure.

killramos
07-04-2021, 06:53 PM
Shhhh driving an EV is a holy Endeavor.

Government would NEVER see an opportunity to tax it

Buster
07-04-2021, 07:17 PM
It will be interesting to see where governments will get their money to maintain roads and highways when ICE users are not enough to keep up with routine maintenance. There should be a tax per charging hour to offset the wear and tear EV's have on the existing infrastructure.

There should be a tax on Teslas for making me have to look at their horrible "design".

mr2mike
07-04-2021, 07:20 PM

It'll probably come through EnMax fees in Alberta and we will all have the satisfaction of "doing good for climate change".

killramos
07-04-2021, 07:46 PM
There should be a tax on Teslas for making me have to look at their horrible "design".

I’ve never liked the sound of a tax better.

Can we also tax the new M4?

ThePenIsMightier
07-04-2021, 07:48 PM
Shhhh driving an EV is a holy Endeavor.

Government would NEVER see an opportunity to tax it

Until they do. This is the Golden Age of EV's. Monthly fees from the manufacturers will come. Unable to charge for free at work will come. Taxes will come. Peak time usage pricing explosions will come.
It's all downhill from here, except putting the brakes on isn't going to regenerate shit.

killramos
07-04-2021, 07:51 PM
Work from home is so 2020.

I want to be able to work from my Tesla, so I can work at work, work at home, and work while I commute.

This is the way.

ZenOps
07-05-2021, 05:25 AM
The main thing I'm looking at are prices and availability for ICE replacement parts. Its tough enough to get components to make a new ICE car considering the thousands of specialized parts and fluids that it needs.

Will this create a mini-boom for ICE repair people as they can basically charge whatever they want for the one component that a customer needs, or will the consumer simply throw up their hands and chuck the ICE engine in the dustbin of history. I mean, its like "gold rush" all over again, where if you want an o-ring shipped to alaska, its going to cost you $300.

mr2mike
07-05-2021, 07:36 AM
Answer: They'll make it tough on ICE vehicle owners.
Economics will then do the opposite. Taxes then imposed to control it.

I see a Swiss vote on climate change basically went unpublished in Canada. 51% votes against climate action due to raising costs for all.

Swiss voters look to reject law to help cut carbon emissions
https://financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/swiss-voters-look-set-to-reject-law-to-help-cut-carbon-emissions

Meanwhile in Canada:
The federal government also has a full catalogue of regulations and subsidies, each with its own price tag.
These include clean fuel standards, electric-vehicle subsidies, carbon capture and storage tax credits, corporate tax rate reductions for zero-emission technologies, building retrofit subsidies, and so on.
Budget 2021 alone lists over 35 measures costing $8.75 billion over the next five years.
But those 35 measures are just the tip of a massive iceberg.
Every provincial and municipal government has its own regulations and is adding to them almost constantly.
Worldwide, the energy transition will cost trillions of dollars – perhaps as much as five per cent of global GDP, according to the International Renewable Energy Agency.
Investors in new green technologies are not the only ones licking their chops.
So is the financial sector, which will benefit immensely from funding new infrastructure.

Someone will have to pick up the tab for all this, either with higher prices or new taxes.
Giant food companies recently committed to various environmentally friendly policies with the expectation that costs can be shifted forward to consumers through higher prices.
Regulations such as the clean fuel standard will be costly to administer, resulting in higher energy costs.
From this article: https://financialpost.com/opinion/jack-m-mintz-this-falls-ballot-question-what-does-your-climate-policy-cost

davidI
07-06-2021, 05:56 AM
I'm just happy that environmentally-friendly strip mining will replace all of those nasty oil wells.

mr2mike
07-06-2021, 07:19 AM
Haha yeah!
No one talks about the copper open pit mine in Montana.

killramos
07-06-2021, 07:30 AM
Everyone knows carbon dioxide is the only dangerous pollutant.

ThePenIsMightier
07-06-2021, 07:32 AM
Everyone knows carbon dioxide is the only dangerous pollutant.

It's toxic, you know!

mr2mike
07-06-2021, 07:43 AM
Even France just voted down enacting Climate change into their constitution as it may hinder French business.

ZenOps
07-06-2021, 07:54 AM
That is assuming everyone wants an electric car similar to a gas vehicle.

I mean realistically, if you want a 30 pound vehicle to move a 200 pound human 10 miles at 15.5 mph using 1/4 KW electricity (roughly two cents): Lime and Bird have already proven its possible.

Hongguang mini EV might become more popular. It might even be slightly too big.

Is it really sustainable to go to the gas station to buy $100 worth of gas to go to home depot to buy two sheets of plywood at $100 apiece? Consumption for the sake of consumption may have been good for Buzz in 1960, but even he is realizing now that it may have been just a little bit too expensive.

ExtraSlow
07-06-2021, 09:03 AM
I will take a chiangli kthxbye.

AndyL
07-06-2021, 09:57 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/may/30/electric-vehicle-vacuum-leads-to-confusion-between-states-and-territories

has this been posted yet? Apparently EV users dislike victoria's (australia) plan to check odometers and charge road taxes.

what a surprise :)

ZenOps
07-10-2021, 03:47 AM
If you are talking purely from a chemical standpoint: Carbon is used at a rate of 43 Billion tons per year, of which approximately 45 Billion tons is produced.

About 96% of production is immediately consumed for use, and maybe 2% is put aside as a buffer in the Strategic Petroleum Reserve or piled up as low grade lignite.

Metals in a battery can be recycled by simply throwing it in a hot furnace, but carbon released by an ICE engine is non-recoverable. 43 Billion tons per year converted from liquid and rock into the atmosphere without some sort of side effect is a tough sell.

A million tons seems small by comparison. A moon rocket uses 20 tons per second.

ZenOps
07-11-2021, 10:07 AM
As for efficiency: 96% for electric to 21% combustion is a good selling point.

But what is even crazier is that even on a $300 30-pound scooter you can put in electronic regenerative braking for pennies. Recovering half of your energy instead of losing it all to the brake pads as friction simply puts electric head and shoulders above combustion.

If they can figure how to get even more efficiency out of regenerative braking, simply going downhill might be enough to put an extra hundred miles on an electric car.

As with HDTV's, electronics have the weird way of getting better, faster and bigger for less expensive year on year.

Xtrema
07-13-2021, 03:46 PM
Birth country of Paris Climate Agreements say they may not be banning ICE by 2035

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/13/france-eu-climate-ban-internal-combustion-2035/

msommers
07-13-2021, 09:37 PM
I'm just happy that environmentally-friendly strip mining will replace all of those nasty oil wells.

"Everyone knows that mining is more environmentally friendly than drilling for hydrocarbons." -Everyone from BC, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec.

ZenOps
07-14-2021, 09:56 AM
CIIgYsMaEQA

And just imagine, half of that complexity and 1,000 of those parts was probably to improve rotational efficiency from 20% to 20.5%.

Electric motor? Properly magnetically suspended on a solid metal core? 50 years without a drop of oil needed.

ZenOps
08-06-2021, 11:10 AM
This does make me wonder how much of an aftermarket there is for simply gutting combustion engines.

Say you have a Bugatti, with perfectly maintained tires and bodywork, but the engine has been unrepairable for years because of being unable to troubleshoot, and then the inevitable decay and then availability of parts, which makes it near impossible to get running again. How much flak in the greater car enthusiast community would there be if they simply cut out the engine and put in a 80 hp electric? I can imagine the shock value would be extreme.

https://www.secretentourage.com/lifestyle/autos/bugatti-veyron-cost-of-ownership/

"In conclusion, the true cost of ownership of the Bugatti Veyron is almost the same price as buying and throwing away one used F430 Spyder each year you own it"

There would have to be safety checks all over the place, because most "ordinary" combustion cars would not be able to handle the torque of a cheap electric.

suntan
08-06-2021, 12:31 PM
"Everyone knows that mining is more environmentally friendly than drilling for hydrocarbons." -Everyone from BC, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec.

People really don't understand how metals are extracted. Esp. for anything non-magnetic it's an environmental travesty.

Disoblige
08-06-2021, 05:41 PM
People really don't understand how metals are extracted. Esp. for anything non-magnetic it's an environmental travesty.
We aren't nipping this at the bud enough. Remove the problem, Earth is saved.

*snap*

killramos
08-06-2021, 05:45 PM
We aren't nipping this at the bud enough. Remove the problem, Earth is saved.

*snap*

mr2mike
03-15-2022, 11:32 AM

The simpletons do. Not in my backyard. No problem. I gots a new Tesla discounted with government subsidies.