PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to judge the Olympics

Pages : [1] 2

Buster
07-25-2021, 10:58 PM
We all know that the Olympics is mostly a joke and that the IOC is a corrupt douchebag of an organization that resembles the UN in all of the worst ways.

There's a small handful of sports that don't suck - but it's a rather small sample. Here I will judge each sport on whether it sucks or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Skateboarding.

Sucks.

Buster
07-25-2021, 11:02 PM
Field hockey.

Sucks.

Men's field hockey.

Sucks plus LOL.

ZenOps
07-26-2021, 03:43 AM
If the mens triathlon is any indicator. Anyone who passes the finish line deserves a win.

https://sports.yahoo.com/japan-lied-about-the-weather-and-now-olympians-are-paying-the-price-010612634.html

ThePenIsMightier
07-26-2021, 06:56 AM
^Please refrain from posting in Buster threads.

tirebob
07-26-2021, 07:34 AM
We all know that the Olympics is mostly a joke and that the IOC is a corrupt douchebag of an organization that resembles the UN in all of the worst ways.

There's a small handful of sports that don't suck - but it's a rather small sample. Here I will judge each sport on whether it sucks or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Skateboarding.

Sucks.

Why the hate on Skateboarding as a sport? I mean, get the little street urchin shitheads you have to deal with out of your mind and think about it as a skilled event, what makes it worse than other events? I actually enjoy watching people who are great at it. Their talent and skill is phenomenal!

I am not a fan of the politics of the Olympics, but I really do like the idea of the event and the springboard to life after sport it offers a lot of the amateurs is undeniable.

*Full disclosure - My roommate and close friend for a long time is an elite level Canadian gymnastics coach who takes/has taken many of her pupils to all the elite level world competitions including the Olympics and helped them parlay this into extremely good college and university educations so having witnessed all this from up close I am a little biased lol*

killramos
07-26-2021, 07:52 AM
The olympics are such a joke across the spectrum.

But to participate.

Race Walking (lol at the name)

Tik-Tok
07-26-2021, 07:58 AM
Basketball, Baseball, Footsoccer, golf, etc.

If you are any good at any of these, you are earning millions in professional sports, you don't need to compete in the IOC's Olympics to prove it.

Also, none of the actual best players in the world are in the Olympics, so the gold medal winners are living a lie.

Buster
07-26-2021, 08:02 AM
Why the hate on Skateboarding as a sport? I mean, get the little street urchin shitheads you have to deal with out of your mind and think about it as a skilled event, what makes it worse than other events? I actually enjoy watching people who are great at it. Their talent and skill is phenomenal!

I am not a fan of the politics of the Olympics, but I really do like the idea of the event and the springboard to life after sport it offers a lot of the amateurs is undeniable.

*Full disclosure - My roommate and close friend for a long time is an elite level Canadian gymnastics coach who takes/has taken many of her pupils to all the elite level world competitions including the Olympics and helped them parlay this into extremely good college and university educations so having witnessed all this from up close I am a little biased lol*

My judgements are for/against the activities in the context of the Olympics and as sports.

Skateboarding is fine, nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

Having said that, any sportlike activity which is judged, gets an auto-sucks.

killramos
07-26-2021, 08:13 AM
The Olympics should entertain me.

I entertaining sports have no business being televised.

But then again, people go watch darts competitions in stadiums so what do I know.

tirebob
07-26-2021, 08:14 AM
My judgements are for/against the activities in the context of the Olympics and as sports.

Skateboarding is fine, nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

Having said that, any sportlike activity which is judged, gets an auto-sucks.That is a fair opinion... I assume that includes gymnastics, figure skating, diving, etc etc...

Personally I do like all the judged events from a spectator point of view, and if you can take a step back and watch it without the obvious aspects of the corruption of the judges, it is pretty apparent which athletes and performances are amazing and which ones are not up to the top levels. The issues come up of course when it gets close and the technicalities comes into play, especially when corrupt judges start playing favourites etc.

Like I said though, I do value it for what it can do for the kids who do these things and really admire the dedication it took each and every one of them to get to this level, which I think is what I like best about the entire thing.

The Olympics should entertain me.

I entertaining sports have no business being televised.

But then again, people go watch darts competitions in stadiums so what do I know.

One hundred and eeeeiighty!!

jwslam
07-26-2021, 08:25 AM
Is online opinions an e-sport? Can I judge Buster and ZenOps threads?

sabad66
07-26-2021, 08:26 AM
Olympics make excellent background TV. A few sports are actually pretty good to watch IMO too such as beach volleyball.

Agreed with the criticisms of the IOC 100%.

Tik-Tok
07-26-2021, 08:26 AM
Any sport in which having better equipment gives you an advantage. All competitors should be using the exact same equipment, otherwise you aren't judging the person's ability.

tirebob
07-26-2021, 08:31 AM
Any sport in which having better equipment gives you an advantage. All competitors should be using the exact same equipment, otherwise you aren't judging the person's ability.I agree to a degree, but that said, some athletes have preferences to type of equipment etc so they may actually choose something considered a lesser level. Maybe if they had an approved equipment list they all had access to?

rage2
07-26-2021, 08:34 AM
I love figure skating because it’s judged. The drama is better than f1 penalties.

tirebob
07-26-2021, 08:36 AM
I love figure skating because it’s judged. The drama is better than f1 penalties.Plus the crotch shots ammirite? Seriously though, the drama is hilarious

ExtraSlow
07-26-2021, 08:37 AM
There's like 350 events at the summer Olympics. Total madness. Let's whittle it down to 100 events people care about, and then maybe I'll care about any of that.

Buster
07-26-2021, 08:54 AM
Judo.

Sucks.

WTF is this? I defy you watch a judo match and try to sort out the rules. They also last like 2 or 3 minutes in total. They also call people who participate in Judo "players". That seems weird.

suntan
07-26-2021, 09:10 AM
I know I'm getting old when I watch women's swimming and instead of ogling the women I'm impressed by the dive tank.

killramos
07-26-2021, 09:22 AM
Synchronized swimming is a tragically missed opportunity in that regard.

They should borrow the volleyball teams uniforms.

ExtraSlow
07-26-2021, 09:32 AM
Watchin the Olympics for the T&A? Weak.

killramos
07-26-2021, 09:35 AM
Watchin the Olympics? Weak.

FTFY

Be better

rage2
07-26-2021, 09:47 AM
I know I'm getting old when I watch women's swimming and instead of ogling the women I'm impressed by the dive tank.

Watchin the Olympics for the T&A? Weak.

Especially this year because Japan is toning down anything potentially sexualized.

https://apnews.com/article/2020-tokyo-olympics-entertainment-sports-tv-arts-and-entertainment-cefbd1d45d8e495b2bf936f0c18037d2

Buster
07-26-2021, 09:50 AM
Especially this year because Japan is toning down anything potentially sexualized.

https://apnews.com/article/2020-tokyo-olympics-entertainment-sports-tv-arts-and-entertainment-cefbd1d45d8e495b2bf936f0c18037d2

lol, bunch of naive wokes.

If you don't care about ratings, then by all means, don't sexualize women athletes.

suntan
07-26-2021, 09:56 AM

Swimmers still had their suits hiked up their asses.

JRSC00LUDE
07-26-2021, 10:08 AM
Skateboarding is the first thing in the summer Olympics worth watching IF it were worth watching the summer Olympics.

JRSC00LUDE
07-26-2021, 10:12 AM
My favourite thing about the Olympics is when retired (aka too old) Olympic "champions" decide to become inspirational speakers because they went to the Olympics.

Ummmmmm I'm happy for you and all that Sparky but, what the hell did you really accomplish? "Look at me, I excelled at non professional sport for little to no compensation so now I'm in your high school gymnasium and/or Government employee conference".

Get fucked.

Tik-Tok
07-26-2021, 10:21 AM
My favourite thing about the Olympics is when retired (aka too old) Olympic "champions" decide to become inspirational speakers because they went to the Olympics.

Ummmmmm I'm happy for you and all that Sparky but, what the hell did you really accomplish? "Look at me, I excelled at non professional sport for little to no compensation so now I'm in your high school gymnasium and/or Government employee conference".

Get fucked.

"I worked really hard, and my career peaked age 17, it's all downhill for me now".

Certainly motivating, but for the wrong reasons.

JRSC00LUDE
07-26-2021, 10:24 AM
"I worked really hard, and my career peaked age 17, it's all downhill for me now".

Certainly motivating, but for the wrong reasons.

A lot of Olympic curlers don't peak until their 50's.

ExtraSlow
07-26-2021, 10:32 AM
The "retired olympian" speaker circuit is the least offensive thing about the olympics.

Manhattan
07-26-2021, 10:33 AM
I don't have anything against the skateboarding events per se but it just feels weird that something that started as a counter culture has been completely corporatized. We'll probably see e-gaming/candy crush as olympic events in 20 years.

Definitely need to cut the number of events down. All the synchronized stuff should go away and they seem to like creating new events by putting existing sports on sand. I'm waiting for the 'beach 100M dash' at this point.

3 on 3 basketball is ridiculous too. Most of the players wouldn't sniff a pro league anywhere.

tirebob
07-26-2021, 10:36 AM

They should borrow the volleyball teams uniforms.Nose plugs and swim caps... It's the height of sexy!

ExtraSlow
07-26-2021, 10:36 AM
If there isn't a competitive international league for the sport, then there's no need for it in the Olympics. That should cut at least 100 events.

The fact there's 1000 Olympic medals given out really dilutes the value of the whole enterprise.

killramos
07-26-2021, 10:44 AM
We should just rename it “Every 4 years we pretend to care about the irrelevant sports”

Winter Olympics are even funnier. “How many rich white kids does your country have”

Tik-Tok
07-26-2021, 10:48 AM
We should just rename it “Every 4 years we pretend to care about the irrelevant sports”

Winter Olympics are even funnier. “How many rich white kids does your country have”

Also: "Let's see how badly tropical countries do in the cold"

killramos
07-26-2021, 10:49 AM
Is wakeboarding an Olympic sport?

JRSC00LUDE
07-26-2021, 10:50 AM
The "retired olympian" speaker circuit is the least offensive thing about the olympics.

It's not such much offensive as kinda sad....

haggis88
07-26-2021, 11:17 AM

People go to the stadium to get drunk and sing...the fact there's darts on is neither here nor there :rofl:

tirebob
07-26-2021, 11:17 AM
Someone should create the olympics for the freaks of the world... Even the truly horrified would watch.

Events like hanging the most weight from your prince albert (mens event) or clitoral piercing (womans event), or who can fit the most fake dicks in their ass (men and womens combined?), or whatever insane or gross competitive shit you can think of. Have the Jim Rose Circus and the guys from Jack Ass sponsor it. Would even surpass the normal Olympics. Probably even be featured in OSQ.

I bet even JRSC00LUDE could get behind this!

ExtraSlow
07-26-2021, 11:23 AM
People go to the stadium to get drunk and sing...the fact there's darts on is neither here nor there :rofl:

Attending a professional darts competition is high on my bucket list. Looks amazing.

JRSC00LUDE
07-26-2021, 11:42 AM
I would like to go to one of those drunk dart competition things and, see if Bob could pull a semi with his penis.

killramos
07-26-2021, 12:04 PM
Can we make being woke an Olympic sport?

tirebob
07-26-2021, 12:19 PM
I would like to go to one of those drunk dart competition things and, see if Bob could pull a semi with his penis.I prefer watching the stupidity of other these days versus being the stupid source of entertainment thank you very much...

ExtraSlow
07-26-2021, 12:21 PM
Can we make being woke an Olympic sport?

That would imply winners and losers. That's anti-woke

zechs
07-26-2021, 12:59 PM

They should borrow the volleyball teams uniforms.

https://nationalpost.com/sports/olympics/forced-to-play-in-panties-the-norwegian-beach-handball-team-decided-theyd-had-enough

RIP Kill, your cancelling will commence shortly

killramos
07-26-2021, 01:45 PM
Oh I can get in far worse trouble than cancelling by making fun of synchronized swimming. Don’t worry.

Buster
07-26-2021, 01:57 PM
If I want to watch someone unsexy, then I will watch the men play.

tirebob
07-26-2021, 01:58 PM
If I want to watch someone unsexy, then I will watch the men play.Well when you get there, for the right amount of money you can watch me play...

SJW
07-26-2021, 02:18 PM
Road ragers fighting to the death. I'd watch the shit outta that.

Buster
07-26-2021, 03:20 PM
Well when you get there, for the right amount of money you can watch me play...

I love you Bob, but there are some lines I just won't cross.

tirebob
07-26-2021, 03:31 PM
I love you Bob, but there are some lines I just won't cross.

https://relatably.com/m/img/hurt-feelings-memes/i-see-how-it-is-hurt-my-feelings.jpg

Mitsu3000gt
07-26-2021, 03:57 PM
Are there any transgender women competing this year and absolutely destroying the competition? I remember a couple stories from the 2016 Olympics.

Laurel looks like she has a pretty good chance in women's weightlifting:

https://i2.wp.com/flaglerlive.com/wp-content/uploads/Laurel-Hubbad.jpg?ssl=1

zechs
07-26-2021, 04:07 PM
Yes, he does have a pretty good chance:

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/olympics-backing-laurel-hubbard-will-first-trans-athlete-games-history-rcna1454

benyl
07-27-2021, 09:51 AM
Just watched a replay of the 10m mixed Air pistol event. I have no doubt it takes skill and a steady hand, but holy fuck are these people not athletes. It might as well be an e-sport.

I mean seriously, you compare the overweight fuckers who do this sport to the lady who went full tilt for almost 4 hours to win women's road cycling and I have questions.

I'm sure the training camp and weight cut for air pistol was intense.

sexualbanana
07-27-2021, 09:56 AM
Just watched a replay of the 10m mixed Air pistol event. I have no doubt it takes skill and a steady hand, but holy fuck are these people not athletes. It might as well be an e-sport.

I mean seriously, you compare the overweight fuckers who do this sport to the lady who went full tilt for almost 4 hours to win women's road cycling and I have questions.

The end of the women's road cycling race was quite entertaining.

Manhattan
07-27-2021, 12:35 PM
Mixed doubles badminton looked like something out of coed phys ed class. I think thats the spirit of the olympics though. They want fun and participation (from nations) and it just so happens a bunch of hardcore athletes take it way too seriously lol

Buster
07-27-2021, 12:39 PM
The end of the women's road cycling race was quite entertaining.

I actually watched that randomly live. It was very entertaining.

Women's Road Racing:

Does Not Suck.

whoreads
07-27-2021, 12:54 PM
Laurel looks like she has a pretty good chance in women's weightlifting:

I love that she doesn't let her dick get in the way of her dreams.

JRSC00LUDE
07-27-2021, 12:59 PM
I actually watched that randomly live. It was very entertaining.

Women's Road Racing:

Does Not Suck.
Somebody send me a link or tell me what happened.

Sentry
07-27-2021, 01:20 PM

The only cool olympic shooting sport is Skeet/Trap, or biathlon in winter. No overly nerdy gear and in the case of Biathlon, serious athletes.

ExtraSlow
07-27-2021, 01:47 PM
Biathlon is amazing. I can get behind that. Decathlon in summer is pretty impressive too, since there's such a wide variety of skills needed. I'd hire a decathlete.

ThePenIsMightier
07-27-2021, 01:59 PM
... I'd hire a decathlete.

To what? Paint your dec?
Suck your dec?

Buster
07-27-2021, 02:06 PM
Somebody send me a link or tell me what happened.

TLDR:

130 km race.
No name Austrian broad goes out in front by like 4 minutes, out of sight of all of the big name Dutch broads
Since Olympics have no radios, Dutch broads have no idea hero Austrian broad is way in front
Hero Austrian broad (who has a PhD in physics!) looks like death trying to stay out front
Dutch broad wins sprint to the finish thinking she's won gold since has hasn't even laid eyes on Hero Austrian Broad in like 3 hours, and is hilariously told a few seconds later, that no, that broad over there that looks like she died has won gold.
Confusion ensues amongst Dutch broads.
Buster is entertained.

benyl
07-27-2021, 02:06 PM
To what? Paint your dec?
Suck your dec?

Wasn't Jenner transgender? A woman beat all the men. Why was there no uproar back then?

ThePenIsMightier
07-27-2021, 02:16 PM
Wasn't Jenner transgender? A woman beat all the men. Why was there no uproar back then?

https://youtu.be/OMx1TAaZhwY

tirebob
07-27-2021, 02:25 PM
TLDR:

130 km race.
No name Austrian broad goes out in front by like 4 minutes, out of sight of all of the big name Dutch broads
Since Olympics have no radios, Dutch broads have no idea hero Austrian broad is way in front
Hero Austrian broad (who has a PhD in physics!) looks like death trying to stay out front
Dutch broad wins sprint to the finish thinking she's won gold since has hasn't even laid eyes on Hero Austrian Broad in like 3 hours, and is hilariously told a few seconds later, that no, that broad over there that looks like she died has won gold.
Confusion ensues amongst Dutch broads.
Buster is entertained.We were all entertained! Best Olympic moment in recent history I think... Well maybe not the best, but definitely one of the most memorable.

suntan
07-27-2021, 03:16 PM
Gonna have to find that on Prime.

ThePenIsMightier
07-27-2021, 03:19 PM
LoL Dutch people!

Wooden shoes, wooden head, wouldn listen!
Amirite!??

ExtraSlow
07-27-2021, 03:44 PM
I like Dutch gals

ThePenIsMightier
07-27-2021, 03:59 PM
I like Dutch Rudders

You & me both.

SJW
07-27-2021, 05:23 PM
I like anything with a lil heat

Fixed.

shakalaka
07-27-2021, 05:38 PM
We were all entertained! Best Olympic moment in recent history I think... Well maybe not the best, but definitely one of the most memorable.

If someone finds a link please post ....will be back to check thread at some point. Loved busters' description above.

Manhattan
07-27-2021, 06:01 PM
If someone finds a link please post ....will be back to check thread at some point. Loved busters' description above.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/sports/olympics/cycling

Every event is available to be viewed and replaced with no commercials. You're welcome

ZenOps
07-29-2021, 12:08 PM
On a scale of zero to ten, what would you give these slaps?

n85Xay3zfKk

ThePenIsMightier
07-29-2021, 11:02 PM
Is Heather Swanson competing?

Disoblige
07-30-2021, 10:29 PM
Women's Boxing.

God damn :facepalm:

ThePenIsMightier
07-30-2021, 10:45 PM
Just in case my joke was unclear... It was unfortunate timing for this gentleman golfer to appear while this was in the ticker:

Buster
08-02-2021, 02:11 AM
Soccer.

Sucks.

In this case, it's women's soccer (is there any other kind?).

But soccer in all of its varieties sucks.

jutes
08-02-2021, 10:44 AM
Soccer is the most widely played sport in the world and can actually be called a ‘World Cup’. No one plays football or baseball outside of North America yet they self-proclaim their League Championships “world” events.

No I don’t watch soccer and happy to catch the highlights.

killramos
08-02-2021, 10:57 AM
Another country is welcome to field an NFL or MLB team.

I don’t like their chances though.

Soccer is a terrible source of entertainment.

Buster
08-02-2021, 11:30 AM
Soccer is the most widely played sport in the world and can actually be called a ‘World Cup’. No one plays football or baseball outside of North America yet they self-proclaim their League Championships “world” events.

No I don’t watch soccer and happy to catch the highlights.

Soccer is popular for the same reason white rice is popular: it's cheap and most of the world is poor as shit.

jutes
08-02-2021, 11:41 AM
That’s essentially it, you just need a ball and off you go. Grass or a pitch are luxuries most countries don’t have.

Buster
08-02-2021, 11:42 AM
That’s essentially it, you just need a ball and off you go. Grass or a pitch are luxuries most countries don’t have.

And entertaining sports are luxuries most countries don't have, either. They're stuck with soccer.

Brent.ff
08-02-2021, 12:28 PM
The Canadian women beach volleyball team is hilarious to watch. The one is 6’5”, she’s essentially a cheat code.

Buster
08-02-2021, 12:30 PM
The Canadian women beach volleyball team is hilarious to watch. The one is 6’5”, she’s essentially a cheat code.

She's good too.

suntan
08-02-2021, 02:13 PM
https://youtu.be/rJu2qSJ9zno

haggis88
08-02-2021, 10:06 PM
And entertaining sports are luxuries most countries don't have, either. They're stuck with soccer.

They do however have the attention span for watching sports that North Americans evolved without

Can't let a lengthy sports event break out in the middle of a weekend beer and gardening tool commercials marathon

Buster
08-02-2021, 10:08 PM
They do however have the attention span for watching sports that North Americans evolved without

Is that why they are all plastered before they even get to the game, and then entertain themselves by singing songs?

Disoblige
08-02-2021, 10:24 PM
Is that why they are all plastered before they even get to the game, and then entertain themselves by singing songs?
No different than people doing tail gate parties for NFL.

Both sound like a good time, lol.

Buster
08-02-2021, 10:25 PM
No different than people doing tail gate parties for NFL.

Tailgate parties are NOT the same as the soccer shenanigans.

Disoblige
08-02-2021, 10:27 PM
Tailgate parties are NOT the same as the soccer shenanigans.

You are right. They're worse.
Euros and South Americans know how to have a good time.

Brent.ff
08-02-2021, 10:44 PM
You are right. They're worse.
Euros and South Americans know how to have a good time.

100% would rather go see a live soccer game in Europe then pretty well any sporting event in the states

Buster
08-02-2021, 10:44 PM
100% would rather go see a live soccer game in Europe then pretty well any sporting event in the states

what makes you say that?

Disoblige
08-02-2021, 11:22 PM
what makes you say that?
Just the atmosphere, people, etc.

I wouldn't go as far as saying what Brent.ff said regarding "any" sporting event in the states though. I would volunteer for a PGA golf event, watch UFC live, go to a NBA playoff game, etc.

But this is difficult to explain. It is basically the equivalent of you needing an Asian friend to take you to decent Chinese restaurants so you can order the good stuff.

vengie
08-02-2021, 11:24 PM
Watching women's water Polo.

I don't know what I am doing with my life.

Buster
08-02-2021, 11:25 PM
Just the atmosphere, people, etc.

But this is difficult to explain. It is basically the equivalent of you needing an Asian friend to take you to decent Chinese restaurants so you can order the good stuff.

When I hear people talk about how great soccer games are in Europe, I believe them. They talk about the atmosphere, the chants, the crowds, the rivalries.

What they never talk about is the game.

littledan
08-02-2021, 11:48 PM
I'd be able to tell you all about how chelsea beat cardiff 3-2 at stamford bridge and what a great game it was with terrific atmosphere and exciting action.

But I can't. Because Air fucken Canada decided to delay the first leg of my journey, then even when we landed at the connection in YYZ and reached the gate to deplane a fully 35 mins before takeoff outbound for London, with no checked bags, still got denied attempting to make the flight. got rebooked the next day and landed at heathrow about the same time the game was starting. Thanks air canada. #neveragain

Xtrema
08-03-2021, 06:45 AM
holup

Brent.ff
08-03-2021, 09:31 AM
When I hear people talk about how great soccer games are in Europe, I believe them. They talk about the atmosphere, the chants, the crowds, the rivalries.

What they never talk about is the game.

Was bored out of my skull at a giants game, soccer would be a large improvement

sexualbanana
08-03-2021, 11:56 AM
But on the plus side, FIBA basketball games are awesome because there aren't 900 timeouts.