PDA

View Full Version : Another SUV buying thread

jwslam
08-04-2021, 01:54 PM
Currently driving a 2019 Hyundai Kona Ultimate.

Probably going to go with the 2022 Tucson Hybrid Ultimate (plug-in) when it arrives.

If you're going to tell me not to, what's your choice?

ExtraSlow
08-04-2021, 01:56 PM
subscribed, but don't know anything.

killramos
08-04-2021, 02:00 PM
G Wagen?

Mitsu3000gt
08-04-2021, 02:20 PM
The new Rogue looks pretty awesome and is getting very good reviews if you aren't picky about the more basic powertrain. I'd at least look at it.

Our next vehicle is going to be a small-mid SUV of some kind so I've been keeping an eye out.

The new Hyundai/Kia products though are also all looking quite good. The Kia variants usually appeal to me more from a styling/interior/powertrain perspective. Sometimes they use different transmissions. There's also a Kona N version now (not sure if available yet) but it's only FWD which is weird for that type of vehicle.

tonytiger55
08-04-2021, 02:22 PM
Buy a Honda CRV. Put it in ECO mode and it will feel like you are driving a Hyundai.

Just kidding. If you are set on a plug in. Does the Rav4 Prime come into your radar?

Xtrema
08-04-2021, 02:58 PM
The new Rogue looks pretty awesome and is getting very good reviews if you aren't picky about the more basic powertrain. I'd at least look at it.

I'm surprise you didn't say Mitsu Outlander which is basically (IMHO) nicer looking, 7 seater Rouge with 5/10 warranty instead of 3/5.

As for OP, I think that Tucson is pretty great choice on paper and seems like all the 4 banger failures and brake fires has not deter you from the Koreans.

heavyD
08-04-2021, 02:58 PM
Bronco Sport

Mitsu3000gt
08-04-2021, 03:01 PM
I'm surprise you didn't say Mitsu Outlander which is basically (IMHO) nicer looking, 7 seater Rouge with 5/10 warranty instead of 3/5.

I haven't even looked at a Mitsubishi vehicle in over a decade haha. They always seem to be garbage but maybe the latest ones have improved. If they are partnered with Nissan now I didn't know that. I googled and the exterior looks great but 7-seater is way too big for me and I assume also the OP if he's looking at Tuscons.

ExtraSlow
08-04-2021, 03:01 PM
If you are set on a plug in. Does the Rav4 Prime come into your radar? Unobtanium right now. Cannot be purchased in Alberta for any price. Compelling vehicle though.

Xtrema
08-04-2021, 03:04 PM
I haven't even looked at a Mitsubishi vehicle in over a decade haha. They always seem to be garbage but maybe the latest ones have improved. If they are partnered with Nissan now I didn't know that. I googled and the exterior looks great but 7-seater is way too big for me and I assume also the OP if he's looking at Tuscons.

Outlander share the exact underpinning of Rouge. Slightly bigger but not by much.

https://youtu.be/jNdGBJ7-MDc
jwslam if you insist on plug-in in this class, RAV4 Prime is the only game in town right now but long wait. No idea if Mitsubishi is bringing in Outlander PHEV on this new alliance platform but they are still selling the old one.

jwslam
08-04-2021, 03:17 PM
I've never heard any good things about CVT's?

Also never driven a Mitsubishi since a 2011 RVR rental that was awful.

Mitsu3000gt
08-04-2021, 03:27 PM

I don't think anyone loves them but the demographic buying most of these SUV's don't care and it lets them advertise 1mpg better or whatever it gets them. In theory a CVT is pretty much a perfect transmission but there are downsides for car enthusiasts like power handling.

Some cars are very good at hiding it, have simulated gears and/or don't have the rubber band effect. Toyota and Subaru probably have the best ones IMO. Nissan's isn't terrible in their V6 cars but I haven't driven one attached to a 4cyl yet outside of a Versa. if you're just driving around town it doesn't really matter and you don't notice as much, but if you want to have some fun it becomes obvious really quick that you don't have a traditional transmission.

jwslam
08-04-2021, 03:32 PM
@jwslam (https://forums.beyond.ca/member.php?u=46735) if you insist on plug-in in this class, RAV4 Prime is the only game in town right now but long wait. No idea if Mitsubishi is bringing in Outlander PHEV on this new alliance platform but they are still selling the old one.
I don't NEED a plug in... Just figured I should get that option if I'm going to hybrid anyways.
Also not set on hybrid at all...

Xtrema
08-04-2021, 03:34 PM

hmmm, at $48k and 50km range, I guess Tucson PHEV sounds like a winner if you can get one.

I don't NEED a plug in... Just figured I should get that option if I'm going to hybrid anyways.

https://youtu.be/WrnRmj97P98?list=TLPQMDQwODIwMjFQfC2zn_jKiQ

You want the hybrid.

ExtraSlow
08-04-2021, 03:42 PM

I've been looking at this, and the most economic decision right now is the buy a simple gasoline powered SUV. Hybrid and PHEV may hve lower operating costs, but the significant upfront cost outweighs it.

Now, if you just WANT a PHEV, then that's different, but it's not a cost saving choice.

jutes
08-04-2021, 04:21 PM
Armada/Tahoe/Yukon/Sequoia etc. Anything that isn’t body on frame and 15+L/100km in city isn’t a real SUV. Don’t you want to be the bigger vehicle in case of accident? I do.

Drove a new Tucson as a rental to the Okanagan in June and it was a POS. Awful.

sabad66
08-04-2021, 04:23 PM
I’ve been getting a lot of ads for Genesis suvs lately. Take a look at the GV70. Luxury suv for pretty decent pricing. Although don’t think they do hybrids. I know I’ll be looking at them in a few years when we are in the market.

Aside from that, we just had a Ford Escape titanium hybrid as a rental for 3 weeks while our car was in the body shop and I quite liked it. Averaged around 6L/100km which was hella nice.

bjstare
08-04-2021, 04:40 PM
Are we not recommending Trackhawks anymore for some reason?

If not, then G63.

jwslam
08-04-2021, 04:42 PM
Armada/Tahoe/Yukon/Sequoia etc. Anything that isn’t body on frame and 15+L/100km in city isn’t a real SUV. Don’t you want to be the bigger vehicle in case of accident? I do.

Drove a new Tucson as a rental to the Okanagan in June and it was a POS. Awful.
Agree the last gen was awful. 2022 is all new.

ExtraSlow
08-04-2021, 04:43 PM
Are we not recommending Trackhawks anymore for some reason?

If not, then G63.

We are still reccomending the Trackhawk

killramos
08-04-2021, 05:11 PM
We are still reccomending the Trackhawk

I thought the TRX was the one to get?

ExtraSlow
08-04-2021, 05:16 PM
I thought the TRX was the one to get?

The TRX is a pretty poor SUV.

90_Shelby
08-04-2021, 06:11 PM
Currently driving a 2019 Hyundai Kona Ultimate.

Probably going to go with the 2022 Tucson Hybrid Ultimate (plug-in) when it arrives.

If you're going to tell me not to, what's your choice?

I’m telling you not to, my choice is Trackhawk.

Reason: 3x more hp

jutes
08-04-2021, 06:54 PM
Agree the last gen was awful. 2022 is all new.

I would go for their Subaru Baja variant. They look cool.

tonytiger55
08-04-2021, 11:15 PM

The issue with the CVT's was the Jatco manufactured ones. These were in the old Nissans. I am not sure if they fully cleared up the issues.
I asked a few months ago at a dealership if Nissan would be dropping the CVT. The sales manager said no. That being said it was announced recently geared transmission is coming back to some models. I test drove a newer Rogue. But I still found some parts of it outdated and just garnished to 'look' modern. The price was very cheap compared to the competition. ($32K)

The Toyota uses a 1st gear then hands off to the CVT. Because when you put your put down with a CVT there is a slight delay. Though the Rav4 uses a 8 speed transmission (no CVT) and a 2.5L Engine.

Honda has been developing the CVT for a while. They were using automatic transmissions up to 2016 then finally switched over to CVT. They don't use simulated gears. Then they switched to the 1.5L Turbo across its range from 2017. I have to admit. I am blown away by how much technology has changed. In particular how such a small engine now can produce the torque and fuel efficiency needed.
Subaru has CVT and simulated gears. But you get the all time AWD system. Though I found the ride too bouncy and small details like the mini sun visors useless.

I think the newer CVTs are ok. But if you require anything with actual torque and off roading. Thats where the CVT's are not suitable. They are more suited to tootling around town and the weekend trip to the mountains.

The Mitsubishi is old technology. Im not sure what they are doing. (That being said the turbo my 2021 CRV is built by Mitsubishi :rofl:). But if they are partnering with Nissan. I personally would still wait a few years to see how they are catching up.

If you go down the hybrid route. Run the numbers. Seriously. I nearly bought the Rav4 XSE. But the fees, financing costs etc just kept on adding up. I was almost in Lexus territory. The price became just waaay out of my budget. Then when you run the fuel saving costs. Its not that much. I calculated it would take around 7-8 years at least to start getting a return on the fuel savings.

Check the development cycles of the vehicles. The CRV may be changing from 2022 or 2023. Hyundai is changing theirs. Also see how the technology works to your driving style and lifestyle. The interior might look good, but the functionality my be crap. I still reverse using my mirrors, so I don't need too much tech. So figure out your primary driving needs. I did a write up on the Rav4 vs the CRV in another thread. I was not a fan of how the lane keeping technology worked on the Rav4. I found it more of a hazard and the driving dynamics were a bit outdated. But I only knew that by driving other vehicles. The lane keeping on the CRV has been a godsend at times. I did not realise how good it was. That being said it really does matter what your needs are. If I was in a long term relationship or had kids (or made more money). I would go back to the Rav4.

You are welcome to take my new CRV for a spin if you want. Then if you drive a Hyundai, you might get idea of its pros and cons. Just bring me a steep tea with two milk, one sugar and a raspberry doughnut

jwslam
08-05-2021, 09:51 AM
You are welcome to take my new CRV for a spin if you want. Then if you drive a Hyundai, you might get idea of its pros and cons. Just bring me a steep tea with two milk, one sugar and a raspberry doughnut
Thanks for the offer. My parents own a 2019 CR-V and I'm just not at all a fan of how squishy it is...
I'm not stuck on getting a hybrid and I agree the economics makes no sense. Looking at the Tucson hybrid because that's what they offer all the top tier tech in, and also expecting the electric engine to help with driving fun.

Agree I don't NEED the tech to back my car with mirrors, but it's just part of the package to get cooled seats, memory seats, etc.

killramos
08-05-2021, 11:11 AM
I am completely unapologetic about my desire for parking cameras.

rx7boi
08-05-2021, 11:14 AM
Really liking our 2021 RAV4 Limited Hybrid.

900km per tank. Came with nice-to-have tech.

heavyD
08-05-2021, 12:56 PM
I am completely unapologetic about my desire for parking cameras.

I find they are fantastic for tight parking lots. I like being able back up within an inch of another vehicle without breaking a sweat.

403ep3
08-05-2021, 01:23 PM
I looked at the RAV4 Hybrid before settling on my Venza Ltd - less "rugged," but I liked the styling a bit more. I have been getting quite a few compliments too

jutes
08-05-2021, 02:02 PM
I looked at the RAV4 Hybrid before settling on my Venza Ltd - less "rugged," but I liked the styling a bit more. I have been getting quite a few compliments too

A 2021? Just curious what demographic compliments a Venza?

Pauly Boy
08-05-2021, 02:10 PM

Lower-middle class soccer moms that like that Lincoln styling?

vengie
08-05-2021, 02:11 PM

I've also been looking at Venza's.... Am I getting old, or just more boring? :cry:

ExtraSlow
08-05-2021, 02:13 PM
Venza is a nice package, just weird to hear anyone thinks it has good styling.

90_Shelby
08-05-2021, 02:14 PM

Savage!!

403ep3
08-05-2021, 02:26 PM
I've also been looking at Venza's.... Am I getting old, or just more boring? :cry:

I got old and boring, hence Venza

heavyD
08-05-2021, 04:55 PM
Venza is a nice package, just weird to hear anyone thinks it has good styling.

Toyotas in general are for people that have lost the lust for life and have accepted their fate as a rat in the race.

rx7boi
08-05-2021, 05:03 PM
IIRC Venza Hybrids actually sold more than RAV4's.

killramos
08-05-2021, 05:07 PM
People love their it’s-totally-not-a-minivan’s

ExtraSlow
08-05-2021, 05:27 PM
A real car guy buys the minivan.

vengie
08-05-2021, 05:28 PM

Measure of a car guy
1) Honda Fit
2) Minivan
3) Venza

ExtraSlow
08-05-2021, 05:31 PM
Measure of a car guy
1) Honda Fit
2) Minivan
3) Venza

Qft

90_Shelby
08-05-2021, 08:21 PM

Measure of a car guy
1) Honda Fit
2) Minivan
3) Venza

I’ve been doing it all wrong. :cry:

ExtraSlow
08-05-2021, 08:54 PM
ExtraSlow: women want him, men want to be him.

Clever
08-05-2021, 11:56 PM
I had an Atlas as a rental while my truck was in the shop for repair from hail damage. Drove it for about 10 days, made it all the way to Victoria and back. Other than feeling under powered at times I thought it was a pretty impressive. Not sure what trim or year it was but it had quite the bells and whistles such as infotainment system and lane assist, back up camera’s etc., the gas mileage was pretty impressive too, but then again all my vehicles are gas pigs.

jwslam
08-06-2021, 09:13 AM
Anyone have experience with the VW Taos?
I think Atlas is too big... for reference the other vehicle in our fleet is an MDX and don't need another car that size.

jutes
08-06-2021, 10:00 AM
Anyone have experience with the VW Taos?
I think Atlas is too big... for reference the other vehicle in our fleet is an MDX and don't need another car that size.

https://youtu.be/aqapuel4aW8

jwslam
08-06-2021, 01:13 PM
yes I just saw that before coming to post

Xtrema
08-06-2021, 02:06 PM
yes I just saw that before coming to post

Did you see this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Volkswagen/comments/owjcyd/taos_stop_sale/

Stop sale on all AWD models. Unexpected engine stop.

killramos
08-06-2021, 02:08 PM
#justvwthings

jwslam
08-07-2021, 09:56 AM
must be their new way of achieving fuel economy numbers

Darkane
08-07-2021, 10:44 AM
must be their new way of achieving fuel economy numbers

Hahah.

In process plant terms, this is exactly what happens. Too many emissions will engage the HiHi trip.

suntan
08-07-2021, 11:42 AM
CR-V is worth a look, make sure you connect your phone and try things out, apparently their system still sucks.

Mazdas are worth a look too, but again try out the infotainment system. No touch screen, it's some idiotic joystick thing.

Subaru too. CR loves them for reliability but the data tells otherwise.

I would never buy a Mitsubishi. Looks like Nissan is finally starting to make more reliable vehicles again but I wouldn't hold my breath.

FraserB
08-07-2021, 12:24 PM
anyone have experience with the vw taos?
I think atlas is too big... For reference the other vehicle in our fleet is an mdx and don't need another car that size.

rdx?

suntan
08-07-2021, 01:29 PM
If they fix the infotainment interface on the Lexus NX300, that would be my choice.

killramos
08-07-2021, 01:29 PM
The 2022 NX300 will have a touch screen for CarPlay.

That fixes basically all the problems.

suntan
08-07-2021, 03:11 PM
Oh thank jebus.

jwslam
08-08-2021, 05:55 AM
Hahah.

In process plant terms, this is exactly what happens. Too many emissions will engage the HiHi trip.
Well they really should just get rid of the AAH (check engine light) through alarm rationalization since it's ignored 99% of the time.

Proyecto2000
08-08-2021, 11:21 PM
I checked out the new Pathfinder this weekend. Very nice large SUV but I will have to go back to Nissan once they have a demo to test drive available. Could be a good choice if you want some room and towing power.

If not 2021 Forester is good choice for a smaller SUV.

Darkane
08-09-2021, 10:33 AM
Well they really should just get rid of the AAH (check engine light) through alarm rationalization since it's ignored 99% of the time.

Haha, yes! Exactly.

jwslam
08-16-2021, 01:19 PM
Signed my preorder. Definitely hit up @eglove (https://forums.beyond.ca/member.php?u=45185) if you are looking for Hyundai

I'm open to share details on my purchase through DM as well.

JRSC00LUDE
08-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Signed my preorder. Definitely hit up @eglove (https://forums.beyond.ca/member.php?u=45185) if you are looking for Hyundai

I'm just here to say that for the first time in my history on this forum I saw his username as eg-love and not e-glove. Now it makes sense.

Tik-Tok
08-16-2021, 01:57 PM

What did you order? Tucson PHEV?

HiSpec
08-16-2021, 02:06 PM

Or that Santa Cruz truck?

eglove
08-16-2021, 02:09 PM
I'm just here to say that for the first time in my history on this forum I saw his username as eg-love and not e-glove. Now it makes sense.

Hahaha, one day I'll have room in the garage for another one

I'm only a lowly parts person, but if you're in the market for a Hyundai - I'll line you up with my sales guy!

jwslam
08-16-2021, 03:18 PM
Just the hybrid. I don't drive enough to justify the P price tag and have no idea what that wait is like.
I'm still 3+ months out.

Inzane
08-16-2021, 04:15 PM
I checked out the new Pathfinder this weekend. Very nice large SUV but I will have to go back to Nissan once they have a demo to test drive available. Could be a good choice if you want some room and towing power.

Did it have the new 9-speed auto? I heard they were FINALLY dropping the CVT.

Xtrema
08-16-2021, 04:28 PM
Did it have the new 9-speed auto? I heard they were FINALLY dropping the CVT.

Yeah but early review sounds like they may have some programing kinks to iron out with the ZF. Much like when MDX 1st adopted ZF.

nismodrifter
11-09-2021, 01:08 AM
On the same topic....

We are in need of a larger family vehicle to haul child + future children in.

Looking for a 5 seater, mid size SUV, German, used, preferably with some warranty left.
Any electric/hybrid options available for me?

I see hybrid 2018 X5's on the market for 40kish..
I see a rare 2020 GLE450 hybrid which run about 80k.
I see Cayenne hybrids for 70k+ (not keen on Cayenne anyways).
I see hybrid q5 2020 PHEV for 60k range.

Anything else? Seems like slim pickings.

I presume prices are not headed down anytime soon, need to upsize sooner than later.

Team_Mclaren
11-09-2021, 02:10 AM
Thats all different sizes, do you need the third row? Is hybrid important to you?

Or just get a Lexus RX (450H optional) like all the other asians in Vancouver.

killramos
11-09-2021, 07:25 AM
They made Hybrid X5’s in 2018? The updates for 2019+ Are significant so I’d hold out for that if you can, there are some lease returns on those flowing into dealers right now.

Picking are definitely slim in that class

KLCC
11-09-2021, 10:01 AM
On the same topic....

We are in need of a larger family vehicle to haul child + future children in.

Looking for a 5 seater, mid size SUV, German, used, preferably with some warranty left.
Any electric/hybrid options available for me?

I see hybrid 2018 X5's on the market for 40kish..
I see a rare 2020 GLE450 hybrid which run about 80k.
I see Cayenne hybrids for 70k+ (not keen on Cayenne anyways).
I see hybrid q5 2020 PHEV for 60k range.

Anything else? Seems like slim pickings.

I presume prices are not headed down anytime soon, need to upsize sooner than later.
2018 hybrid (pure mileage) is paltry compared to the newer model. Plus, the technology difference between the two generations is big enough to disregard the older gen, unless the pricing is a big factor. I would broaden the search to provinces like BC, SK to see if you could find a deal there. I know a lot of people in BC tend to dump their vehicles when they got bored of them. So there might be some deals there.

rage2
11-09-2021, 10:18 AM
Are you looking for fuel economy? Because the mild hybrids (bmw and Merc) really only net 10% or so savings, and should be ruled out.

nismodrifter
11-09-2021, 10:21 AM
Thats all different sizes, do you need the third row? Is hybrid important to you?

Or just get a Lexus RX (450H optional) like all the other asians in Vancouver.

Most Asians in my neighborhood drive G63, LX570, or RR LWB Autobiography. I can't keep up with that. LOL.
RX is on top of my list if I cannot find a suitable German option.

2018 hybrid (pure mileage) is paltry compared to the newer model. Plus, the technology difference between the two generations is big enough to disregard the older gen, unless the pricing is a big factor. I would broaden the search to provinces like BC, SK to see if you could find a deal there. I know a lot of people in BC tend to dump their vehicles when they got bored of them. So there might be some deals there.

I am in BC.

Open to hearing any other suggestions in the hybrid/PHEV mid-size class.

you&me
11-09-2021, 10:27 AM
Most Asians in my neighborhood drive G63, LX570, or RR LWB Autobiography. I can't keep up with that. LOL.
RX is on top of my list if I cannot find a suitable German option.

I am in BC.

:rofl: One of those things is not like the others...

IF the goal is fuel economy, I'd prefer a diesel over the worst-of-both-worlds Hybrids...

nismodrifter
11-09-2021, 10:29 AM
:rofl: One of those things is not like the others...

IF the goal is fuel economy, I'd prefer a diesel over the worst-of-both-worlds Hybrids...

As most know, I am pro diesel. My TDI's rolled coal like none other. My wife unfortunately remembers the smell and hates them. She will be primary driver of this vehicle.

killramos
11-09-2021, 10:29 AM
Are you looking for fuel economy? Because the mild hybrids (bmw and Merc) really only net 10% or so savings, and should be ruled out.

X5 mild hybrid is only available ‘21 and later anyway so I’m guessing newer than he would prefer.

X5 45e is a proper PHEV tho with electric only mode. Massive improvement over the 2018 looking it up, still has a peppy straight 6 rather than a 4cyl.

Talk to dealers about lease return X5’s. Expect to pay 60-70k for a 2019.

New X5’s are currently crap because they are neutered for options because of chip shortages.