PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting interior doors

ExtraSlow
08-17-2021, 07:19 AM
Probably sounds dumb, but I have two interior doors that have both started to stick. My normal trick is to tighten the screws that hold the hinges, but that hasn't done anything this time.

Possible the house is settling I guess. The doors are right near each other.

Anywhooo, aside from taking the doors down and breaking out the chisel, what are my options? Anyone handy good at this and want a quick buck?

killramos
08-17-2021, 07:26 AM
There are some techniques to bending hinges etc.

Biggest question is around the gap around the door? Is it consistent all around or is it clear that it’s mostly hanging in one side of the door frame (likely snug up against the latch side from what you are saying).

It doesn’t take much of a tweak to fix the problem. I think suntan or someone posted a YouTube video on the topic recently?

Darkane
08-17-2021, 07:38 AM
Probably sounds dumb, but I have two interior doors that have both started to stick. My normal trick is to tighten the screws that hold the hinges, but that hasn't done anything this time.

Possible the house is settling I guess. The doors are right near each other.

Anywhooo, aside from taking the doors down and breaking out the chisel, what are my options? Anyone handy good at this and want a quick buck?

I’ve used deck screws in the middle of the hinge on all hinges. It sucks the door to the hinge side 1/16 or less snd makes all the difference.

The stock screws aren’t penetratey enough. That’s a word, write it down.

firebane
08-17-2021, 09:13 AM
There are some techniques to bending hinges etc.

Biggest question is around the gap around the door? Is it consistent all around or is it clear that it’s mostly hanging in one side of the door frame (likely snug up against the latch side from what you are saying).

It doesn’t take much of a tweak to fix the problem. I think suntan or someone posted a YouTube video on the topic recently?

Yup check those gaps and adjust from that.

ExtraSlow
08-17-2021, 09:16 AM
Snug against top part of latch side edge. Exactly where it would be if the screws had loosened, although that seems not to be the situation.

schurchill39
08-17-2021, 09:24 AM
If you have instagram look up carpentry_bymar and he shows how to adjust the hinges in about 30 seconds with a crescent wrench. I did it to all my doors that are sticking and it works great.

EDIT: moved reply

ExtraSlow
08-17-2021, 09:27 AM
One day I'll join the modern world, but yeah, no instagram, twitter or reddit for me. Beyond and LinkedIn are my social media.

suntan
08-17-2021, 09:36 AM
If you have instagram look up carpentry_bymar and he shows how to adjust the hinges in about 30 seconds with a crescent wrench. I did it to all my doors that are sticking and it works great.

So that's what he's doing.

schurchill39
08-17-2021, 09:40 AM
I put the reply up in my original post but its probably better here:

Basically pop the pin out of the top hinge and middle hinge then put paper or playing cards between your door and the frame on the handle side to wedge it over. Take a crescent wrench and gently bend the 3 knuckles on the door hinge to match the 2 knuckles on the jam hinge. Pop your pin back in and bobs your uncle.

benyl
08-17-2021, 05:53 PM
Didn't read any of the replies, but I watched this video not to long ago and picked up some tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcDj6g2UODw