PDA

View Full Version : attempted break-in causing electronic failure?

lilmira
08-19-2021, 03:06 PM
Someone tried breaking into my buddy's car at the Y in Rocky Ridge last night. They didn't get in but managed to crack the side window and trim. What's interesting is that the MMI doesn't work now. Screen is blank. It sounds weird that they are related. Another buddy's truck parked right next appears to have no damage but his seat was acting funny when he got in. So now we were thinking may be they have some device that can disable the alarm? That's just odd.
There is a mini not with us but parked right by got broken in as well. I'm almost certain that we were targeted. They saw us arrived and left the vehicles. Fucking thieves, I don't think they got away with anything worth more than a fraction of the damage that caused.

mr2mike
08-19-2021, 03:57 PM
Key programming rolling code is probably off from when they intercepted it and will need to be resync'd to the car.

flipstah
08-19-2021, 04:01 PM
Does MMI have coding similar to when an OEM deck loses electricity, you have to input it again or else it's locked? Maybe the broken window triggered an alarm?

ExtraSlow
08-19-2021, 04:05 PM
A pinch?

lilmira
08-19-2021, 04:05 PM
I think his key works fine. He was able to drive it home. It's just the MMI system is out. No music, no radio, back up cam...whatever that works through the screen is out. How the attempt of busting out the window alone could cause that is the mystery.

yeah no clue, he stopped by the shop today and they'll deal with the MMI under warranty.

mr2mike
08-19-2021, 04:16 PM
Oh if he drove it home, then you're right my guess wasn't the issue.

I'd check blown fuses (all of them). Maybe they grabbed power from the media circuit or seat circuit and blew a fuse or two.

Had a coworker who had an attempted theft of their vehicle. He couldn't start it. Got it towed and mechanic called to say he was missing his starter relay.

killramos
08-19-2021, 04:18 PM
Or started pulling fuses to silence the alarm