PDA

View Full Version : popcorn removal from ceiling

TimG
08-20-2021, 10:10 AM
All,

I've been getting some quotes for the removal of popcorn from the ceiling in my laundry room and some of these prices seem out to lunch.

the popcorn isn't painted, so removal should be a breeze. The room is only 63 sqft and pretty much empty.

looking at removal, skimming, and getting ready to paint.

I've been getting quotes between $1500 and $2000 for this. seems insanely high.

Need a sanity check here.

Thanks

T

bjstare
08-20-2021, 10:18 AM
All,

I've been getting some quotes for the removal of popcorn from the ceiling in my laundry room and some of these prices seem out to lunch.

the popcorn isn't painted, so removal should be a breeze. The room is only 63 sqft and pretty much empty.

looking at removal, skimming, and getting ready to paint.

I've been getting quotes between $1500 and $2000 for this. seems insanely high.

Need a sanity check here.

Thanks

T

Work like this doesn't scale down very well. They still have the time to drive to your place/prep/cleanup etc, and that would be similar for 63sqft and 150sqft.

Regardless, that is more money than I'd be willing to pay for what is a relatively simple job. The worst part is cleaning it up. Spend $100 on tools and DIY on a saturday. Google is your friend.

tirebob
08-20-2021, 10:23 AM
I think the smaller the room the more per SF you will pay. A person still has to haul all their crap out and back etc whether it is a bigger job or a smaller job, then it will come down to time in the middle. I know personally I would hate to do a job like this as a home owner but that price does seem out to lunch so I asked a buddy who does this kind of stuff (in GP unfortunately) and he said he would charge around $10/sf on a small job, maybe even a little less.

JfuckinC
08-20-2021, 10:33 AM
https://www.princessauto.com/en/3-pc-reciprocating-saw-scraper-blade-set/product/PA0008501868

This is the ticket my friend, so easy. Just keep the blade at a shallow angle so you don't rip into the ceiling.

firebane
08-20-2021, 10:40 AM
https://www.princessauto.com/en/3-pc-reciprocating-saw-scraper-blade-set/product/PA0008501868

This is the ticket my friend, so easy. Just keep the blade at a shallow angle so you don't rip into the ceiling.

Good info! I need to do this myself and this will save my arms.

Neil4Speed
08-20-2021, 10:45 AM
That seems expensive, but I agree with the scale down comments.

I paid $4k to do about 1000sq ft in April and got knockdown. Some of it was pretty high up in the living room as well.

For a small space like that I would just take it on myself. The scraper blade sounds interesting for sure... I still want to do my basement one day down the road (not an immediate priority though). I have seen some people rig them up to shop vacs to collect as well.

bjstare
08-20-2021, 11:00 AM

You must have some exceptionally gentle hands. Seems like that would be fucking impossible not to ruin drywall with haha.

Tik-Tok
08-20-2021, 11:02 AM
Personally, a room that small, I would drywall over it. You'll have what, one seam to mud, and the edges?

swak
08-20-2021, 11:10 AM
We scraped the popcorn off our entire place a few years ago... Just use plastic mud scrapers, and bought a chemical sprayer and wet the ceiling first, came off like nothing!
Then hired a company to fix it up nicer, and enusre it was smooth - Paid $1500'ish to do 1600 sq ft (incl 3 staircases) - Edmonton contractor. PM me if this helps you, I can try and find his business card.

JfuckinC
08-20-2021, 11:32 AM
You must have some exceptionally gentle hands. Seems like that would be fucking impossible not to ruin drywall with haha.

Haha, i don't think I've ever been known for gentle hands..

Honestly it just skidded along the drywall if you didn't go at too much of an angle into it. the blades aren't sharp.

TimG
08-20-2021, 11:34 AM
Does anyone know a good ceiling skimmer and finisher?

Looks like we're going to remove the popcorn ourselves. just need someone to make it paint ready.

We're eventually looking to do the entire house (~1600 sq ft) but want to do a small job first.

suntan
08-20-2021, 11:45 AM
Does anyone know a good ceiling skimmer and finisher?

Looks like we're going to remove the popcorn ourselves. just need someone to make it paint ready.

We're eventually looking to do the entire house (~1600 sq ft) but want to do a small job first.

I used this guy years ago

https://textureking.ca/

G-ZUS
08-20-2021, 12:22 PM
Removing it is easy. I just hired a semi retired taper off kijiji, he did my whole basement for 1800 compared to other 3 to 4000 quotes i was getting. If you want his contact, pm me

JRSC00LUDE
08-20-2021, 01:02 PM
Removing unpainted popcorn in the easiest thing in the world. Do it yourself then the taper can see what they're up against for a skim.

Whenever I had to do it I used a 6 inch plastic blade (too wide is too hard to control, too narrow is also and that's where you nick the board) and simply used a paint roller in a tray of warm water and rolled the stipple, let is soak for a few minutes and just sluffed it off.

90_Shelby
08-20-2021, 01:05 PM
Personally, a room that small, I would drywall over it. You'll have what, one seam to mud, and the edges?

This.

We simply dry walled over all of the ceilings in our place, quality of finish is much better as the surface is actually flat.

suntan
08-20-2021, 01:40 PM
Wait hold on, this is a for a laundry room? I think it cost me under $300 total. It literally wasn't worth my time and effort to do it.

Mind you this was years ago so it's probably 15x more now.

Maxt
08-20-2021, 06:14 PM
Be careful, depending on the year of the house, it could be asbestos. When looking at houses a few years ago, I pulled a sample of the popcorn ceiling from house built 78-80 ish, sample came back positive for asbestos.

ExtraSlow
08-20-2021, 06:18 PM
Be careful, depending on the year of the house, it could be asbestos. When looking at houses a few years ago, I pulled a sample of the popcorn ceiling from house built 78-80 ish, sample came back positive for asbestos.

Good call, make your kids do it.

Tik-Tok
08-20-2021, 07:07 PM

Tiny lungs have less of a chance of breathing it in.

ExtraSlow
08-20-2021, 07:15 PM
Tiny lungs have less of a chance of breathing it in.

Its science!

Maxt
08-20-2021, 07:33 PM
Their kids were.. They told me how their kids would bounce a ball off the ceiling at night and their beds were covered in it.

suntan
08-20-2021, 07:43 PM
I don't even think asbestos fibres can fit up those tiny nostrils.

killramos
08-20-2021, 07:44 PM
Science

arcticcat522
08-20-2021, 08:09 PM

Same if built in the 60's probably

mr2mike
08-23-2021, 02:14 PM
Tips.
Wet the ceiling with a spray bottle first. Stops the stuff from floating in the air.
Poly off areas like you're an American Psycho keep it isolated.

The popcorn was there to hide the crappy tape and joint work. You could be in for some headaches after the popcorn is gone.
I guess high build primer is your friend. Get a vat of that.

Tik-Tok
08-23-2021, 02:28 PM
The popcorn was there to hide the crappy tape and joint work. You could be in for some headaches after the popcorn is gone.

The other reason I suggested drywalling over it. Plus if it is asbestos, you've kind of half assed encapsulated it.

suntan
08-23-2021, 02:54 PM
Tips.
Wet the ceiling with a spray bottle first. Stops the stuff from floating in the air.
Poly off areas like you're an American Psycho keep it isolated.

Ceiling actually has to be sorta decently done for popcorn/knockdown to look nice.

Flat ceilings are a flex.