PDA

View Full Version : Medical leave request.

16hypen3sp
08-25-2021, 02:17 PM
Hey guys,

Some of you may have seen a post recently from me in a Covid thread mentioning that I have developed a lower back issue that supposedly requires surgery. I had went to my doctor in mid June about this first but the issue goes as far back as Sept. of last year. He recommended some medical imaging and a consult with a general surgeon. At that time, the surgeon wasn't available to even take a look until the beginning of October! Luckily, someone cancelled yesterday and I was able to fill their spot. He immediately said I 100% require surgery for this. Things have actually gotten much worse for me since the latter half of July and according to the surgeon, things are even worse than I thought. He was going to give me a note for my employer but I told him to hold off as I was seeing my doctor today. The good news is that this surgeon splits his time between two different hospital OR's so they tell me that I should have a much shorter wait as I'm on the 'short notice' and 'can travel' list. (OR in Red Deer or Stettler. Stettler has a much shorter wait, or so they say. I'm signed up to go to either.)

My doctor today gave me some stuff for pain and he also gave me a note for my employer. My employer is quite good with this stuff and has a program set up for people who have a medical issue and need time off.

My question: How should I word this request? Anyone here in a supervisor role have any expectations from employees when it comes to this sort of thing? I have never taken any sort of leave before and I kind of feel like an asshole doing this but I can't do any task at work.

Any insight is much appreciated.

ExtraSlow
08-25-2021, 02:28 PM
You are honest and non-specific.

suntan
08-25-2021, 02:29 PM
"I need to go on medical leave. My estimated time off will be ____"

That's it. You are under no obligation to provide any more information to your employer.

ExtraSlow
08-25-2021, 02:31 PM
"I need to go on medical leave. My estimated time off will be ____"

That's it. You are under no obligation to provide any more information to your employer.
Yeah, that's about all you need to provide. If you are on really good terms with your boss you can feel free to share any more information with them verbally, but I don't suggest you write anything more in email or any other format.

JRSC00LUDE
08-25-2021, 02:36 PM
Yes. Let them find out about the huge worker's comp claim that will fuck their premiums the natural way. :D

16hypen3sp
08-25-2021, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciated.

Yes. Let them find out about the huge worker's comp claim that will fuck their premiums the natural way. :D

I wish it was WCB. Aren't those surgeries fast tracked?

Xtrema
08-25-2021, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciated.

Does you employer health plan have disability coverage? Once you notify your boss, it's really your HR's problem to help you navigate thru that so you get some pay while on med leave.

16hypen3sp
08-25-2021, 03:16 PM
Yes, we have both short term (1 year) and long term (over 1 year) disability.

zechs
08-25-2021, 03:54 PM
My only recommendation I can make is you really have to stay on top of the disability pay/payments and requirements.

Some companies and their HR departments do everything. Others drop the ball and you don't start getting paid for months. Hopefully you work for a good company, makes illness worlds easier.

mr2mike
08-25-2021, 03:57 PM
Wow short term is 1yr.
Most seem to be 3 month or in that range.
Salary usually changes once you hit LTD.

Xtrema
08-25-2021, 04:12 PM
Yes, we have both short term (1 year) and long term (over 1 year) disability.

Once you are on it make sure you get detail recommendation from your docs on why you can't work. Insurance will try very hard to get you off it.

suntan
08-25-2021, 06:16 PM
Surgeon/family doctor should give you a letter telling how much time you need off.

It does not need to be detailed. It’s none of the insurance company’s business.

ThePenIsMightier
08-25-2021, 06:52 PM
Find boss's dad. Fuck boss's dad.
This ain't rocket appliances.

dimi
08-25-2021, 08:58 PM
The only input I have, while very obvious, is stay vigilant with the painkillers. A few of my acquaintances destroyed their lives on those. Fucked up.

Good luck with your surgery/recovery.

carzcraz
08-26-2021, 07:49 AM
Up till my semi-retirement last month, I was the manager (and an RN) of my Western Canada clinics in Occupational Health. Our TDB cases were managed in-house, till we decided to outsource to an external company.

Depending on the provider, your attending clinician may be required (with your consent) to complete a physician attending form on your behalf. This document DOES need to be detailed enough for the case manager of your absence to support your absence; your clinician will be prompted for what information is required on the form. Depending on the duration of your absence, they may also be prompted to provide periodic updates via a similar document. This all depends on the size of your employer and how TDB/EDB is set-up. Rest assured due to HIPA, disclosure of your medical condition, treatment etc. is not relayed back to your management and/or HR.

Generally speaking, unless you have a very good relationship with your manager, our nurses and physicians would advise against disclosing medical to them. Many a times, though intending well, our employees were caught in situations where their boss thought they knew the condition/surgery/recovery well as they/a family member, or friend went through seemingly the same issue, and recovered in xx period of time. This set an expectation on recovery time for the individual, and caused problems if/when they surpassed recovery or while discussing work limitations.

Just my two cents having spent 13 years leading an Occupational Health team providing this service for a large global oil company.

Pacman
08-26-2021, 04:09 PM
Can't help on your question but I can tell you the lower back surgery I had (L4/L5 lumbar fusion) was a game changer from a quality of life perspective. The past 10 years for me have been relatively pain free with only a few minor setbacks. Take it easy on the rehab and good luck.

16hypen3sp
01-05-2022, 05:23 PM
Was told to start looking into private surgery clinics. Anyone know of any or do I absolutely have to go to the US? Not too sure where to start looking for something like that.

Pacman
01-05-2022, 05:51 PM
Was told to start looking into private surgery clinics. Anyone know of any or do I absolutely have to go to the US? Not too sure where to start looking for something like that.

Cambie in Vancouver is a private clinic in Vancouver that does spine surgeries. I know someone who had it done there and had a positive outcome

There is also a place in Victoria as my mom was working there as a nurse before she retired. I can ask her if you want to know anything

carzcraz
01-05-2022, 05:51 PM
There are certainly options for private access to health care in Canada. I have had a number of employees undergo out-of-pocket surgeries, MRI's etc. locally rather than having to be placed on a waitlist or travel out of country.

Clearpoint is an example of one such facility that my healthcare team received good feedback on from a couple employees; however there are other options locally as well. You can locate them via google by searching under "private surgery Calgary." If I recall correctly, you do not require a referral and can initiate same via phone or their online consultation forms.

https://clearpointhealth.ca/location/calgary-surgery-centre/

tirebob
01-05-2022, 07:03 PM
Was told to start looking into private surgery clinics. Anyone know of any or do I absolutely have to go to the US? Not too sure where to start looking for something like that.Fuck back surgery is scary shit...

I personally was told I needed it a 25 years ago by one doctor, but then another I trusted said to try and avoid it in any way possible as long as you can. Do chiro, massage, acupuncture, or anything non-drug related until you have exhausted all hope before getting surgery. I still have periods of trouble with my back to be sure but for the most part it has been manageable with work and I have yet to get the surgery.

Yes I know people who have had great improvements to their lives from it but I also know others who have ended up way worse off and now live an incredibly debilitated life. One guy even committed suicide after the results and living in such pain and an incredibly limited existence after having surgery go wrong.

Truly make sure it is 100% necessary because it can, and does go wrong for enough people that it warrants a lot of research and dedication. That kind of shit you can't come back from if you are one of the unlucky where as you may be able to manage quite well with some work and changes in how you do some things.

mr2mike
01-05-2022, 08:30 PM
Maybe try contacting Dr. Matthew Cook?
I have only heard him on Ben Greenfield's podcast. But I believe he does phone consults.
Portion of the podcast was on back and knees. Worth a listen.

https://bioresetpodcast.com/killing-mold-mycotoxins-for-good-the-craziest-ivs-you-can-get-for-energy-fixing-knees-back-without-surgery-much-more-with-dr-matt-cook-2/

16hypen3sp
01-06-2022, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the info all. I’ll dig into it a bit today.

Pacman
01-06-2022, 01:15 PM
Fuck back surgery is scary shit...

I personally was told I needed it a 25 years ago by one doctor, but then another I trusted said to try and avoid it in any way possible as long as you can. Do chiro, massage, acupuncture, or anything non-drug related until you have exhausted all hope before getting surgery. I still have periods of trouble with my back to be sure but for the most part it has been manageable with work and I have yet to get the surgery.

Yes I know people who have had great improvements to their lives from it but I also know others who have ended up way worse off and now live an incredibly debilitated life. One guy even committed suicide after the results and living in such pain and an incredibly limited existence after having surgery go wrong.

Truly make sure it is 100% necessary because it can, and does go wrong for enough people that it warrants a lot of research and dedication. That kind of shit you can't come back from if you are one of the unlucky where as you may be able to manage quite well with some work and changes in how you do some things.

Jeesh, are you going to tell him about the chances of death from the anesthesia the day before he goes under the knife :)

16hypen3sp
01-06-2022, 01:21 PM
Jeesh, are you going to tell him about the chances of death from the anesthesia the day before he goes under the knife :)

Not gonna lie... I am already freaked about that. I have never went under general anesthesia before.

mr2mike
01-06-2022, 01:37 PM
Done it 5 times now and one epidural for the last one. I don't think epidural is an option for back surgery.

Literally, you have full control. Can walk out of the er if you change your mind last minute. Probably puts your 2nd surgery very low on list but it is an option.

Just know you have some options. I ask not to have arms strapped down until I'm asleep. Advocate for yourself. Worst they can say is no.

Can tell nurses in the pre-surgery room you're very nervous or if you're panic attacking let them know. There's drugs for that.

OR nurses and docs are a different breed. Pretty light hearted and jokes all around. Anesthesiologists are funny too but maybe that's the gas in the mask haha.

I also ask for zofran for anti-nausea after surgery. They load you up with that and reduces your risk of vomiting post surgery. Just try to explain all your pain, symptoms, worries to the staff as they can't read minds.

After surgery, you'll be very cold. They'll take good care of you. That is the oddest part is coming out of surgery. Your different senses connect to your brain at different rates. Hearing, sight, smell, etc. Some people get very emotional even weeks after can feel like crying or anger or depression. It's all normal.

Geez I should be a pre surgery consultant. Haha

Pacman
01-06-2022, 01:53 PM
Not gonna lie... I am already freaked about that. I have never went under general anesthesia before.

Before my back surgery , I asked the anesthesiologist and she suggested it was 1 per 150,000 have some type of issue but, there are usually underlying conditions that contribute to it. You probably have a higher chance of getting into a small fender bender driving home from the hospital after the surgery.

Just take a lot of comfort knowing that the pain you feel walking into the OR is going to be totally gone when you wake up. It's an amazing feeling to hobble into a room with constant pain in your back, legs, groin and tight muscles that haven't been relaxed for months and then waking up and realizing your foot/leg isn't numb and your groin doesn't feel like someone is hitting it with a hammer. I had 3 back surgeries and after the first one, I made sure to try and remember how miserable I felt walking into that OR and what exactly my symptoms were and then comparing to how I felt a few hours after waking up. Even though your back will be in pain from the incision, you will immediately notice that all those other nerve related problems are gone.

If you have issues with hard poops, make sure you take some Metamucil with you to eat with meals at the hospital. The pain killers constipate you and it's pretty easy to have issues. I was in more pain from the constipation than from the surgery and almost had to to back into the hospital.

JRSC00LUDE
01-06-2022, 01:56 PM
Wow OP that sounds super aggressive, good luck man. As far as anesthesia goes, if something actually goes wrong you'll never know anyway but it's rare. Personally I've never thought twice about it. Good luck getting healthy, that's a rough go.

16hypen3sp
01-06-2022, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the words of wisdom all.

yah, I just need to get this done and put it all behind me. Hopefully sooner than later. Most days consist of me just laying around. I hired out snow removal for my place from mid-December onwards because I can't do that crap. It's actually very nice.

I just want to get it done and get back to doing stuff I actually want to do.

KRyn
01-06-2022, 04:00 PM

16hypen3sp
01-06-2022, 04:49 PM
Holy! If you don't mind sharing what is going on with your back?
I ruptured some discs in my low back over a decade ago, what a treat it has been.

Some issues with my lower back, around the tailbone area. They could see it on the xrays or whatever medical imaging I went thru. Been kind of fighting with it since Sept. 2020, but it only became unmanageable around the beginning of August. Went to a doctor in Jan. 2021 but that visit went literally nowhere, seemed like he didn't really care. Surgeon I had a consult with confirmed with my doctor @ end of August and put me on a waitlist for the surgery. Apparently the operation itself isn't too horrible but the recovery isn't fun. Have to get the homecare nurses to stop by every day for a couple weeks they tell me.

KRyn
01-06-2022, 04:59 PM

mr2mike
01-06-2022, 08:15 PM
Get your things in order prior. You'll never get it all done 100%
Clean up your house of tripping hazards.
Put things so you're not bending to get them.
Do any errands or running around you need. Expect you won't be leaving the house for a month nor feel up to doing much.
Pick up snacks to eat in middle of the night so you're not taking meds on empty stomach. Handful of Costco mixed nuts or something. Unsure if you're on your own but maybe buy soups or easy to make food.

After surgery, set repeating alarms on phone to keep pain meds taken around the clock.
Those are the tips I can think of right now.

16hypen3sp
03-21-2022, 09:56 AM
Well, got carved up last Friday. Had it done privately at Okanagan Surgical Centre in Kelowna. Experience was good, I'd go back there.

Two separate incisions. One is 9 inches long. Stitched back together. Being put under was a trip, like time travel. One second, the medical staff in the OR were talking to me and suddenly the next second, I'm waking up in an entirely different room a few hours later. My lower back and ass is basically covered by huge bandages. Can only stand or lay flat on my stomach for now, which is really annoying.

Have the homecare nurses from Lacombe looking after me. Pain isn't bad at all. Just more sore than anything. Surgeon prescribed me some opioids but I haven't needed to take them.

I have just been taking it as easy as I can. Now I'm just praying that this solves the issue.

JRSC00LUDE
03-21-2022, 11:01 AM
I sure hope you can get back to a normal pain free/mobile life man, if I lost the ability to sport/compete/play I can't imagine what that would do to my mental health. I blew a knee in October on top of some bad tendon/ligament issues in hip/shoulder and those 3-4 months of doing almost nothing were fucking terrible.

Gman.45
03-21-2022, 02:32 PM
Well, got carved up last Friday. Had it done privately at Okanagan Surgical Centre in Kelowna. Experience was good, I'd go back there.

Two separate incisions. One is 9 inches long. Stitched back together. Being put under was a trip, like time travel. One second, the medical staff in the OR were talking to me and suddenly the next second, I'm waking up in an entirely different room a few hours later. My lower back and ass is basically covered by huge bandages. Can only stand or lay flat on my stomach for now, which is really annoying.

Have the homecare nurses from Lacombe looking after me. Pain isn't bad at all. Just more sore than anything. Surgeon prescribed me some opioids but I haven't needed to take them.

I have just been taking it as easy as I can. Now I'm just praying that this solves the issue.

Ditto what Cool Lude said.

Glad you don't have much pain, not taking opioids is always preferable to taking them, but don't let pain hamper your recovery either - if you absolutely must, take whatever you were prescribed. Again, very glad for you that you don't need them so far. It must suck having to lay on your stomach, hopefully you may be able to at least lay on one side shortly - I'd go bananas if I couldn't lay on my back or side.

Homecare has been great for both my mother and father, their nurses in my pop's home town have been excellent, very proficient, capable, knowledgeable, and most of all friendly/kind. Physio nurse is actually here at my father's helping him with hip replacement rehab as I'm typing this, and she's fantastic, has my dad laughing even which is a very rare occurrence these days considering his 2021 (2 emergency hip replacements (one was to fix the 1st after a brutal fall), 65 days in the ICU thanks to the Chinese Communist Party/Covid, and another 30+ days in the regular hospital recovering from the above).

16Hypen - we used a private clinic for my father's MRIs here in Sask, and I wouldn't hesitate to spend $ out of pocket for private exams surgeries again, for him or myself. Glad you had a good experience - I can relate to the time travel bit, I have to get a colonoscopy (blah) every year since my colon cancer, and it's always a bit of a mind bender being mid conversation one place, and then be in another room with some other person asking you how you feel an instant later. At least I don't get the spins going under any longer, hah.

We'll be pulling for you 16, hope and pray your surgery was successful and you get back to a place where you were before in happier times. This is something I relate to as well, and it's been a long haul to get back to where I can finally start lifting, walking/jogging, and swimming (happened first) again. You'll get there!

JRSC00LUDE
03-21-2022, 03:51 PM
^ little known fact, the "C" in my name is for charger! But I am VERY cool, no argument there. Source? My mom.

Pacman
03-21-2022, 04:17 PM
Glad to hear you are on the mend. My lumbar fusion was a game changer. I wasn't allowed on my stomach at all and slept on my back/side for about 6 months after mine.

Take it easy on your recovery. At least you are into warm weather and hopefully no snow. You can go for walks outside and not worry about slipping on ice.

spikerS
03-21-2022, 06:26 PM
Surgeon prescribed me some opioids but I haven't needed to take them.

Glad to hear you are healing up well and the outlook is good.

I quoted the above for this reason. Don't take them. I am super paranoid about these kind of painkillers. Man up, grit through the pain with normal pain medication. I know I have an addictive personality, and being honest to myself, I know I could very easily be one of those people walking down the street outside of Chinook with a sign saying god bless because of those kind of pills.

When I was in the hospital for my appendix, the doctors and nurses were all incredulous that I was in so much pain but refusing the morphine drip and just gritting my teeth. It was there, hooked up to my IV, i just had to push the button... Super happy I didn't push it. Same thing with my big truck accident. Doc gave me some crazy pain meds, oxycodone i think, I never even filled the prescription.

You may be different than I am, but, I tell anyone that will listen the same thing. Don't use them.

- - - Updated - - -

^ little known fact, the "C" in my name is for charger! But I am VERY cool, no argument there. Source? My mom.

http://popchassid.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/tumblr_mv9j0b4JzD1rjgmvno1_500.jpg

speedog
03-21-2022, 08:43 PM
Glad to hear you are healing up well and the outlook is good.

I quoted the above for this reason. Don't take them. I am super paranoid about these kind of painkillers. Man up, grit through the pain with normal pain medication. I know I have an addictive personality, and being honest to myself, I know I could very easily be one of those people walking down the street outside of Chinook with a sign saying god bless because of those kind of pills.

When I was in the hospital for my appendix, the doctors and nurses were all incredulous that I was in so much pain but refusing the morphine drip and just gritting my teeth. It was there, hooked up to my IV, i just had to push the button... Super happy I didn't push it. Same thing with my big truck accident. Doc gave me some crazy pain meds, oxycodone i think, I never even filled the prescription.

You may be different than I am, but, I tell anyone that will listen the same thing. Don't use them.

- - - Updated - - -

http://popchassid.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/tumblr_mv9j0b4JzD1rjgmvno1_500.jpg

Percocet with 2 Tylenol T3's and 600mg of Ibuprofen is what allowed me to walk out of the hospital about 7 hours after I broke my back in late 2005 - certainly I can tell how something like Percocet can be addictive as it just kind of washes over you from head to toes and you go to your happy place.

16hypen3sp
03-23-2022, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Aside from being sore from the operation, I feel pretty good.

schurchill39
03-29-2022, 09:31 AM
I count myself fortunate that thus far opiates at regular dosages have done nothing for me outside of what I assume regular Tylenol or ibprophen does for other people. Hard to get addicted to something so mediocre, but stories like spikerS are obviously a very real occurrence and while I don't think one should need to endure the pain, I can definitely appreciate only taking what you need and not a pill more.

Wait, what? You name isn't the equivalent of Jrs. Cool Lude? If that's the case I've been mis-reading your name for the better part of two decades. Is it Jr. (or maybe your initials) S[uper] C[harged] [20]00 [Pre]lude?

16hypen3sp
03-29-2022, 04:18 PM
You guys think I can claim the costs of this for the 2022 tax year under medical expenses?

spikerS
03-29-2022, 04:54 PM
You guys think I can claim the costs of this for the 2022 tax year under medical expenses?

even if they don't qualify for 2022, which they should, IIRC, you can carry over unclaimed expenses from the previous year.

JRSC00LUDE
03-30-2022, 09:28 AM
Wait, what? You name isn't the equivalent of Jrs. Cool Lude? If that's the case I've been mis-reading your name for the better part of two decades. Is it Jr. (or maybe your initials) S[uper] C[harged] [20]00 [Pre]lude?

Is your name Bon Jovi? Because you're halfway there!

haggis88
03-30-2022, 09:16 PM
Is your name Bon Jovi? Because you're halfway there!

Jackson Racing Super Charged 2000 Prelude

schurchill39
03-31-2022, 09:30 AM
Jackson Racing Super Charged 2000 Prelude

False. Jrs. Cool Lude. Meaning when he was in Junior High school he though preludes were cool

JRSC00LUDE
03-31-2022, 10:35 AM
False. Jrs. Cool Lude. Meaning when he was in Junior High school he though preludes were cool

You're worse than that guy who revealed all the magician's secrets. I feel violated.

sabad66
03-31-2022, 11:08 AM

Medical expenses are for any 12 month period that touches the year. So for example you could define your 2022 medical expenses as September 2021 til august 2022 to maximize your tax credit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/rc4065/medical-expenses.html#toc2

mr2mike
03-31-2022, 05:52 PM

C'mon. Really?
I always thought he was in love with that Lude Girl.

schurchill39
04-05-2022, 10:26 AM
C'mon. Really?
I always thought he was in love with that Lude Girl.

Oh man... I think you're right. Don't they have matching twin turbo tramp stamps?

16hypen3sp
04-26-2022, 11:09 AM
Back in the saddle!

Got cleared to go back to work on modified duties (I personally don't agree with the modified duties part but whatever) so I'm returning to work today. Got my motorbikes out of storage on Sunday and got back to riding again.

Life is good again!