PDA

View Full Version : Asbestos testing...

Nufy
08-28-2021, 08:52 AM
Anyone had to test for asbestos lately...

One of my contractors wants to ensure the attic insulation is free before
heading up there to do some work.

Insulation and popcorn ceiling I guess...

Thanks.

ThePenIsMightier
08-28-2021, 09:18 AM
Find a different contractor.
Seriously.

Tik-Tok
08-28-2021, 09:40 AM
Unless he's removing the insulation, he should be able to suck it up and wear proper PPE. Costs less than an asbestos test.

ExtraSlow
08-28-2021, 09:49 AM
Fuck that contractor.

And his dad.

redline
08-28-2021, 12:19 PM
How old is the house and when was it last renoed ?

I was involved in a downtown office Reno a couple of years ago and there was asbestos all over the place …

Nufy
08-29-2021, 09:47 AM
1979 build

Never. This is the first major Reno that I know of.

The quote is through a gen contractor. Not sure if we can switch.

ThePenIsMightier
08-29-2021, 10:07 AM
You can't afford to keep a contractor that's going to make you check for asbestos in something as benign as insulation.
If you have asbestos, it's in your linoleum and siding. He'll be making you check there next.
Asbestos abatement is like inviting Royal Dutch Shell into your house for a "safety assessment". It's treated like the radioactive anthrax-variant of CoVid.

Fuck this contractor. And his dad.

tirebob
08-29-2021, 10:15 AM
You can't afford to keep a contractor that's going to make you check for asbestos in something as benign as insulation.
If you have asbestos, it's in your linoleum and siding. He'll be making you check there next.
Asbestos abatement is like inviting Royal Dutch Shell into your house for a "safety assessment". It's treated like the radioactive anthrax-variant of CoVid.

Fuck this contractor. And his dad.If he has vermiculite insulation it could very well be contaminated. If he has pink then I wouldn't be worried in the least. Really, asbestos doesn't worry me anyways. If it has to be taken out just be smart about it. Fuck I think I have breathed in more asbestos from brake pad blowback in the 80's than I could ever ingest eating every bit of asbestos in a house from the late 70's.

ThePenIsMightier
08-29-2021, 10:21 AM
If he has vermiculite insulation it could very well be contaminated. If he has pink then I wouldn't be worried in the least. Really, asbestos doesn't worry me anyways. If it has to be taken out just be smart about it. Fuck I think I have breathed in more asbestos from brake pad blowback in the 80's than I could ever ingest eating every bit of asbestos in a house from the late 70's.

I thought vermiculite was bad, but for a different lung irritation reason. Fuck, I know I've breathed in a fair share of whatever is in that.

Tik-Tok
08-29-2021, 10:23 AM
It's treated like the radioactive anthrax-variant of CoVid.

"Nope, not going up there without an asbestos test! That could give me cancer".... then proceeds to his truck for a smoke break with his window only rolled down 1/2"

ExtraSlow
08-29-2021, 10:28 AM
If the general contractor hired this subcontractor and didn't already inform you of the requirement for an asbestos test, then that sounds like your general contractor fucked up. Tell THEM to fire this clown, who they obviously haven't worked with before.

ShermanEF9
08-29-2021, 02:48 PM
https://youtu.be/e2ESP4MUcxg?t=20