PDA

View Full Version : Best way to put a deposit on a vehicle located in another city?

sxtasy
09-09-2021, 12:52 PM
I'd like to put a deposit on a vehicle about 6 hours away, was posted on Facebook Marketplace. How do you guys handle these types of transactions?

Disoblige
09-09-2021, 12:57 PM
Private sale?

Whole point of a deposit in a private sale is so it is held for you and non-refundable (assuming vehicle is in same shape as agreed on). So e-transfer or PayPal if you trust the person. There really is no other way as you either trust them or you don't.

killramos
09-09-2021, 12:57 PM
Interac E transfer?

Or if you don’t like that… Paypal?

sxtasy
09-09-2021, 12:58 PM
Yeah it's a private sale. Just thought perhaps there's a safer way than e transfer.

2Legit2Quit
09-09-2021, 01:04 PM
I've done e-transfer along with a typed up agreement that we signed and emailed to one another a copy....but a couple days later he sent me the money back saying someone offered him more money :rofl:

killramos
09-09-2021, 01:12 PM
Yeah it's a private sale. Just thought perhaps there's a safer way than e transfer.

I mean, what’s unsafe about an E-transfer?

There is some risk is receiving an E transfer if they point it to a phishing site or something.

But sending? No different than mailing a guy cash. Once it’s sent, it’s gone.

If you are thinking of what recourse you have if you send a guy money and then doesn’t cough up the goods there is no payment system that will fix that for you aside from an escrow service. Your only recourse is small claims for civil disputes like that.

firebane
09-09-2021, 01:16 PM

E-transfer is the safest method out there other in person.

Never do paypal or some other shit.

ExtraSlow
09-09-2021, 01:29 PM
e-transfer.

Disoblige
09-09-2021, 01:36 PM
Never do paypal or some other shit.
What's the difference using PayPal vs. e-transfer for a deposit? It doesn't really matter. If anything, you have more chance of getting your deposit back through PayPal if the guy doesn't deliver the goods since PayPal has a dispute center.

firebane
09-09-2021, 01:38 PM
What's the difference using PayPal vs. e-transfer for a deposit? It doesn't really matter. If anything, you have more chance of getting your deposit back through PayPal if the guy doesn't deliver the goods since PayPal has a dispute center.

Try disputing through paypal and it will give you a headache.

killramos
09-09-2021, 01:40 PM
Cause court is such a comfortable alternative to a dispute center lol

sabad66
09-09-2021, 01:45 PM
I would ask him to do a video call just to make sure it’s real, but then yeah an e-transfer after you determine it’s legit

Disoblige
09-09-2021, 01:55 PM
Try disputing through paypal and it will give you a headache.
That is irrelevant to the point.

You mention to e-transfer and never use PayPal or some other shit. I am asking what the difference is between the two regarding a deposit. Money sent is money sent. It's gone forever if you get scammed.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-09-2021, 02:23 PM
E transfer with a valid registration that matches the name.

ragu
09-09-2021, 04:33 PM
Just bought a car sight unseen from ON. E transferred the guy a $1000 deposit. Asked a friend who knew little about cars, but is anal about details, to go check out the car and see if seller throws red flags.

Signed bill of sale. Went to TD, wired him remainder of the funds and next day he dropped it to the truck’s yard.

I used Nile Auto to bring it in and he took 3 days! Yes, 3 days to bring it in. The price was by far the cheapest.

Overall, the car was as described by seller and verified by my friend. I found a couple of small things to bug me but that’s me being anal and had I known, they wouldn’t have stopped the sale.

ThePenIsMightier
09-09-2021, 04:44 PM
Just bought a car sight unseen from ON. E transferred the guy a $1000 deposit. Asked a friend who knew little about cars, but is anal about details, to go check out the car and see if seller throws red flags.

Signed bill of sale. Went to TD, wired him remainder of the funds and next day he dropped it to the truck’s yard.

I used Nile Auto to bring it in and he took 3 days! Yes, 3 days to bring it in. The price was by far the cheapest.

Overall, the car was as described by seller and verified by my friend. I found a couple of small things to bug me but that’s me being anal and had I known, they wouldn’t have stopped the sale.

So....??? '89 Civic or Ferrari 612?

ragu
09-10-2021, 10:19 PM
Not $3k but not $300k either…