PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Subaru WRX Revealed

heavyD
09-10-2021, 10:02 AM
https://www.subaru.com/2022-wrx

I don't know what to say. It's basically a performance Crosstrek now.

jutes
09-10-2021, 10:07 AM
Back end instantly reminded me of a new Accord, but I guess all cars look the same now.

Only complaint I really had from the STi was the incredibly short gearing. 6th at 120kmh was around 3000rpm, it made highway driving annoying. Don’t know if the new gearboxes addressed this issue.

cyra1ax
09-10-2021, 10:09 AM
I didn't want to say it in that NASIOC thread that you're also in since they're being stupid, but it might actually look decent as a jacked up rally car. Slap some Method wheels on, chunky tires, mud flaps, light bar and maybe even a lift and it would work.
As a pavement princess though, looks terrible. That ass end with what looks like a 3-4" protrusion of black plastic is mind boggling.
Was searching for benefits and I couldn't even find a toggle for a heated steering wheel. The power figures make zero sense as well, they added 0.4L and got 3hp with no additional torque.

Xtrema
09-10-2021, 10:22 AM
The power figures make zero sense as well, they added 0.4L and got 3hp with no additional torque.

Isn't that really just a Ascent engine with more HP and less torque?

Or are they sandbagging for eventual STI version?

ThePenIsMightier
09-10-2021, 10:23 AM
It says it comes in manual and everyone can't seem to shut up about how we all love manuals so much, so obviously we will all buy one.
Just like the 370z...

cyra1ax
09-10-2021, 10:26 AM
Isn't that really just a Ascent engine with more HP and less torque?

Or are they sandbagging for eventual STI version?

Yep, same as the Ascent engine.
The gripe here is that the current/last gen WRX made 268HP/258lb-ft out of 2.0L. Subaru claims that they've smoothed out the power curve but a tune was able to do the same(or at least mitigate it) with the old engine. Like you said, Subaru is probably sandbagging it.

Xtrema
09-10-2021, 10:29 AM
Yep, same as the Ascent engine.
The gripe here is that the current/last gen WRX made 268HP/258lb-ft out of 2.0L. Subaru claims that they've smoothed out the power curve but a tune was able to do the same(or at least mitigate it) with the old engine. Like you said, Subaru is probably sandbagging it.

Or may be you'll get more usable torque earlier. But that plastic cladding tho.

heavyD
09-10-2021, 10:57 AM
I didn't want to say it in that NASIOC thread that you're also in since they're being stupid, but it might actually look decent as a jacked up rally car. Slap some Method wheels on, chunky tires, mud flaps, light bar and maybe even a lift and it would work.
As a pavement princess though, looks terrible. That ass end with what looks like a 3-4" protrusion of black plastic is mind boggling.
Was searching for benefits and I couldn't even find a toggle for a heated steering wheel. The power figures make zero sense as well, they added 0.4L and got 3hp with no additional torque.

They may have been better off dropping the sedan and going with a hatch as a jacked up hatch would essentially make it a CUV and we know that the current market loves CUV's and SUV's. I just don't understand this treatment on a sedan as it looks weird. If they wanted to make something to rival a Hyundai Kona N I don't understand why they just didn't make a performance version of the Crosstrek. Americans love Subaru's so as bad as this car looks I expect it will sell well. STI I would think will look better with color matched fender flares and bumper but I'm still not feeling the hexagonal wheel wells at it looks too RAV4.

vengie
09-10-2021, 11:25 AM
I want the WRX Engine in the Crosstrek.

Buster
09-10-2021, 11:38 AM
TIL

Subaru still makes cars.

heavyD
09-10-2021, 12:01 PM
TIL

Subaru still makes cars.

It's always felt so strange to me that Subaru is a niche automaker in most of the world (they aren't even in the European market) including Canada but have been a massive success in the USA where they outsell Mazda by a fair margin and aren't far behind Hyundai and Kia in sales. Americans really love the brand for some reason unbeknownst to me. Their vehicles aren't bad or anything but there's nothing really special about them at all.

cyra1ax
09-10-2021, 12:04 PM
I want the WRX Engine in the Crosstrek.

That would make too much sense for Subaru.

dimi
09-10-2021, 12:34 PM
As a previous 2.5RS owner, the car is a complete joke, along with most of everything Subaru makes nowadays. It’s so bad even the die-hard fanboys on nasioc are angry, the same crowd still buying a 30-year-old EJ sti that gets slower every year. Funniest thing about this car is they had to call the CVT, Subaru Performance Transmission to draw attention away from the hunk of shit that it is.

Crosstrek with WRX engine lol. Subaru doesn’t even let you have the 2.5L with a manual, you are on another planet if you think they’ll do a 2.4T.

An STI model, which is expected to have around 400 horsepower, should also join the lineup soon.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Xtrema
09-10-2021, 01:20 PM
It's always felt so strange to me that Subaru is a niche automaker in most of the world (they aren't even in the European market) including Canada but have been a massive success in the USA where they outsell Mazda by a fair margin and aren't far behind Hyundai and Kia in sales. Americans really love the brand for some reason unbeknownst to me. Their vehicles aren't bad or anything but there's nothing really special about them at all.

America has lots of Lesbians?

https://drivetribe.com/p/why-is-subaru-associated-with-lesbians-MY0z9aigTS2VWjOkXV72Qg?iid=aJpp9pRQTY2bw9iRHZaajA

ThePenIsMightier
09-10-2021, 01:33 PM
Hippies also buy them for some strange reason. Saltspring Island used to have 80% (or some completely insane number) of their registered vehicles Subaru.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-10-2021, 04:05 PM
Complete joke, probably won’t have any personal interest in a Subaru again with the shite they are making.

schocker
09-10-2021, 04:14 PM
Best joke I've seen all week. turbo cross trek sedan with +3 hp and locking a bunch of options behind the CVT.

Edit: Sorry, I said CVT but actually it is

All-New Subaru Performance Transmission with Paddle Shifters
:rofl:

rc2002
09-10-2021, 05:05 PM
Not much of an upgrade over the previous one, but I’m sure it will sell well. There’s very little competition in this price range for AWD manual cars.

I agree with those wondering who buys all these Subarus. My STi was disappointing. On paper it looks great but driving feel was terrible. Loose steering, poor shifter feel, lots of body roll, bad NVH, hilariously short 1st gear.

Hopefully the 2.4 engine reliability is improved. My STi had the engine replaced at 20,000km. I sold it just before warranty expired because I was too scared to keep it. How these cars command such high resale is beyond me.

killramos
09-10-2021, 05:23 PM
Not sure I have ever heard a flat bottom steering wheel referred to as “D shaped” before :rofl:

ExtraSlow
09-10-2021, 11:04 PM
No wagon? Go fuck yourself.

schocker
09-10-2021, 11:34 PM

I got you
https://www.subaru.com/guides/crosstrek/my18/mobile/all/_assets/images/vehicle-lineup/lineup3.jpg

ThePenIsMightier
09-10-2021, 11:50 PM
^That's part of the other hilarity.
That colour was ONLY available in the Crosstrek and now they've cannibalized their own sub-brand to bring that dumb colour to WRX which is going to piss off some of their own other customers.

Whatever... Douche Flutes and PotatoWomen with crew cuts. If that floats their boat, I can't help them.

Team_Mclaren
09-11-2021, 01:11 AM
Not much of an upgrade over the previous one, but I’m sure it will sell well. There’s very little competition in this price range for AWD manual cars.

I agree with those wondering who buys all these Subarus. My STi was disappointing. On paper it looks great but driving feel was terrible. Loose steering, poor shifter feel, lots of body roll, bad NVH, hilariously short 1st gear.

Hopefully the 2.4 engine reliability is improved. My STi had the engine replaced at 20,000km. I sold it just before warranty expired because I was too scared to keep it. How these cars command such high resale is beyond me.

I felt the same way on my wife's old 16 STi. It certainly looks great (imo) but the driving dynamic is such a mess. Huge power, huge body roll, shitty steering and shifting feel.

I actually like the backend of this new one the best.

killramos
09-11-2021, 07:24 AM

I realize they weren’t perfect either, but I haven’t been interested in any WRX or STI since the hatchback ones in. Back in what? 2008-2010?

ExtraSlow
09-11-2021, 07:57 AM
I realize they weren’t perfect either, but I haven’t been interested in any WRX or STI since the hatchback ones in. Back in what? 2008-2010?
You and me are bros.

rc2002
09-11-2021, 08:37 PM
I actually like the backend of this new one the best.

That’s because it’s a Honda backend. Haha.

Darell_n
09-11-2021, 09:07 PM

They peaked in the 2004-2007 models and have gotten progressively crappier the last 15 years with little change in technology.

tonytiger55
09-11-2021, 09:52 PM
Subaru was my third choice when test driving. But I wish they got some of the basics right. Too much body roll, sun visors were useless. The 2.5 Crosstrek would have been glorious in a manual.

Pauly Boy
09-13-2021, 08:32 AM
Apparently hexagons are the new circles kids...

Lambo wheel wells, a Civic ass & a front end only a guy who mods his vapes could love.

ExtraSlow
09-13-2021, 08:57 AM
I got you
https://www.subaru.com/guides/crosstrek/my18/mobile/all/_assets/images/vehicle-lineup/lineup3.jpg

Was that a crosstrek or a foreester? I can't even tell anymore. Either way, sure they make wagons, but not fun ones. The WRX is supposed to be fun to drive and have decent power. The crosstrek is . . . something different?

jutes
09-13-2021, 09:50 AM
Crosstrek is an under-powered slug that can barely reach safe speeds merging onto the highway.

heavyD
09-13-2021, 10:02 AM
Crosstrek is an under-powered slug that can barely reach safe speeds merging onto the highway.

The 2.0L Subaru engine should be avoided like the plague. Weakest 2.0L engine in the industry. The 2.5L is nothing special but at least you can safely pass on the highway.

MalibuStacy
09-13-2021, 10:08 AM
So this WRX...squished macho accord thing. Not really doing it for me either. As for the Crosstrek, I would be okay with it if it looked less like a training shoe and had a real transmission not a CVT.

Personally the Forester is the most Subaru of the current Subaru's but really only in looks and name, even it is has become way less weird and quirky then it used to be.

ExtraSlow
09-13-2021, 10:16 AM
you can get a MT in the crosstrek I think. Not that it helps much with that engine.

Buster
09-13-2021, 10:18 AM
why are we talking about Subaru so much?

This is dangerously close to the a Zenops thread in terms of relevancy.

killramos
09-13-2021, 10:46 AM
why are we talking about Subaru so much?

This is dangerously close to the a Zenops thread in terms of relevancy.

More lesbians on beyond than we originally thought?

Buster
09-13-2021, 10:46 AM
More lesbians on beyond than we originally thought?

speak for yourself.

bulaian
09-13-2021, 10:57 AM
you can get a MT in the crosstrek I think. Not that it helps much with that engine.

Sadly, you can only get MT in the 2.0L engine, not the 2.5L

ExtraSlow
09-13-2021, 10:59 AM
Sadly, you can only get MT in the 2.0L engine, not the 2.5L

Yes, that combination is sad, although 12% less sad than the 2.0L with the CVT.

Toms-SC
09-13-2021, 12:57 PM
Ooooof.

ThePenIsMightier
09-13-2021, 01:04 PM
Pics of straight-looking lesbians, plz.

ExtraSlow
09-13-2021, 01:44 PM
Pics of straight-looking lesbians, plz.

Just grab that photo of killramos that you have beside your bed.

killramos
09-13-2021, 01:52 PM
Just grab that photo of killramos that you have beside your bed.

Ahhh college…

ThePenIsMightier
09-13-2021, 03:00 PM
Just grab that photo of Killramos that you have beside your bed.

That's a photo of zhim & me though. I want to fantasize about something that's maybe not within reach.

Oh and be careful about "mis-gendering" or whatever the fuck that term is. Some lurker might NegRep you for it. I got one for that fantastic post I made about BornTwerkOnCars, if you can believe it. LoL! The +Reps vastly exceeded the Neg, but it was pretty funny to see someone's gender-neutral-knickers get in a twist.

ExtraSlow
09-13-2021, 03:18 PM
TIPM (They/They)

Buster
12-20-2021, 01:40 PM
I would definitely recommend ordering this one in black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwIp_lEafEI

bjstare
12-20-2021, 01:45 PM
Or at least wrapping those god awful fender flares in body color film. What a horrible looking car.

I also read the package that has Recaros, adaptive dampers, and configurable diff can only be spec'd with the CVT (not available with the manual). The mouth breather who signed off on that should be shot.

ThePenIsMightier
12-20-2021, 02:58 PM
Or at least wrapping those god awful fender flares in body color film. What a horrible looking car.

I also read the package that has Recaros, adaptive dampers, and configurable diff can only be spec'd with the CVT (not available with the manual). The mouth breather who signed off on that should be shot.

LoL!!
Ugly car is ugly.

lilmira
12-20-2021, 10:58 PM
It’s breathtaking

heavyD
12-21-2021, 08:45 AM
The black plastic cladding is a disaster but the massive wheel gap and ground clearance make this thing look like the little brother of the Pontiac Aztek. It's some sort of CUV sedan. Remember when the WRX was kind of a cool car?

Hallowed_point
12-21-2021, 10:19 AM
That bulge over the rear wheel arches is very unflattering. Looks like some sort of Volvo that spikey haired dykes would buy.

heavyD
12-21-2021, 11:06 AM
That bulge over the rear wheel arches is very unflattering. Looks like some sort of Volvo that spikey haired dykes would buy.

Well Subaru has long been the vehicle of choice for lesbians.

ExtraSlow
12-21-2021, 11:12 AM
"Ugly cars for lesbians" is a a bigger market than any of us realized.

killramos
12-21-2021, 11:51 AM

If you read CBC you’d swear lesbians make up 70% of the population.

ExtraSlow
12-21-2021, 11:55 AM
If you read CBC you’d swear lesbians make up 70% of the population.

If by CBC you mean my wet dreams, then that's about accurate.

killramos
12-21-2021, 12:02 PM
If by CBC you mean my wet dreams, then that's about accurate.

The CBC lesbians are not the type dreams are made of.

ExtraSlow
12-21-2021, 12:17 PM
the cbc lesbians are not the type dreams are made of.

you can"t judge me

cyra1ax
12-21-2021, 12:25 PM

I think it wouldn't stick out as much if they actually flared the front fenders, it's blended way too much right now.

Then there's also the complaints that everyone has- trash power from bigger motor, body cladding, prolapsed asshole

Hallowed_point
12-21-2021, 01:19 PM

Hmm, so perhaps Subaru is attempting to corner the market on lesbo cars (away from Volvo) Bold move Subaru :poosie:

dimi
12-21-2021, 01:28 PM
This thing would actually look great as a wagon, Subaru Allroad.

killramos
12-21-2021, 01:49 PM
Hint: it is a wagon.

Buster
12-21-2021, 01:57 PM
This thing would actually look great as a wagon, Subaru Allroad.

no, no it would not.

killramos
12-21-2021, 02:02 PM
The thing is. Despite all the cackling. A lot of people just don’t like wagons that much and no one buys them.

Personally. I think it should be a jailable offence to pine about wagons if you don’t buy them.

Buster
12-21-2021, 02:04 PM
The thing is. Despite all the cackling. A lot of people just don’t like wagons that much and no one buys them.

Personally. I think it should be a jailable offence to pine about wagons if you don’t buy them.

I hate to be the one to tell you: but you just bought one.

killramos
12-21-2021, 02:05 PM
I hate to be the one to tell you: but you just bought one.

That’s fine. I don’t care what people buy.

It’s the pining that’s insufferable.

Buster
12-21-2021, 02:09 PM
That’s fine. I don’t care what people buy.

It’s the pining that’s insufferable.

I didn't mean that in a bad way. But people complain that we can't get wagons and that people don't buy them. I disagree with that, since CUVs are really just wagons and people buy them all of the time. People say we don't get an M5 wagon, but we get an X5M, which is the same thing

Hallowed_point
12-21-2021, 02:27 PM

Personally, I associate wagons with gen z dickheads who wear toques in the summer, turn their already lame wagon into some trendy "overland" vehicle to document their social media image of camping and being outdoorsy. I'll make one exception, the CTS-V Wagon. Fuck a wagon :barf:

heavyD
12-22-2021, 03:30 PM

Americans just love the WRX and STI. Americans in general love Subaru as they amount to 70% of all their sales globally. Personally I just don't get it as while they are okay cars they are never best in class and the STI in general is the very definition of mediocrity yet Americans can't get enough of them.

ThePenIsMightier
12-24-2021, 01:15 PM
Personally, I associate wagons with gen z dickheads who wear toques in the summer, turn their already lame wagon into some trendy "overland" vehicle to document their social media image of camping and being outdoorsy. I'll make one exception, the CTS-V Wagon. Fuck a wagon :barf:

On today's episode of Just the Tip with TPiM, we'll advise that you should not search "fuck a wagon" from your work computer.

Gman.45
12-24-2021, 02:26 PM
The missus was seriously considering this car (preferably the STI model whenever it was coming out) but ordered a 2022 BRZ Sport Tech instead. I don't mind the 2022 WRX looks, not a favorite to be sure, but I don't think it's massively fugly or anything.

rc2002
12-26-2021, 03:44 PM
Not sure if it’s marketing spin but Subaru says the fender flares is for aerodynamics.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/amp38591172/2022-subaru-wrx-plastic-fender-flares/

Maybe it’s like “speed holes” that make cars go faster.

Buster
12-26-2021, 03:46 PM
Not sure if it’s marketing spin but Subaru says the fender flares is for aerodynamics.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/amp38591172/2022-subaru-wrx-plastic-fender-flares/

Maybe it’s like “speed holes” that make cars go faster.

Marketing people trying to save the shitty design department

ExtraSlow
12-26-2021, 05:10 PM
Design elements for functional reasons can be made beautiful or at least unobtrusive. This car went a different way.

colsankey
12-28-2021, 08:52 PM
If it makes anyone feel better, the STI is supposedly getting the same plastic fenders. Something about the mouth feel for air, or something, idk, not a engineer.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/new-subaru-sti-next-get-those-controversial-wrx-plastic-fender-flares/amp

killramos
12-28-2021, 08:55 PM
Why would more ugly cars make anyone feel better

2Legit2Quit
12-28-2021, 09:05 PM
Dodge Neon purple needed a comeback

ExtraSlow
12-28-2021, 09:08 PM
Why would more ugly cars make anyone feel better

Makes us look handsome in comparison.