PDA

View Full Version : What's Your "Claim to Fame"?

Pages : [1] 2

ThePenIsMightier
09-11-2021, 05:47 PM
I think many or all of us have done something that's relatively unique that can make for a neat story. You don't have to indulge in the full story, but maybe if someone asks, you can elaborate.
I'm thinking something that's safe to say that very few people on the earth have done, but not zero. Like, there's a good chance that you'll never meet someone else who can say the same thing.

So, what's your claim to fame?

I'll start with a reasonable one:
I was at the game to see Wayne Gretzky score his last hat trick. He only managed to get 50 of those.

Buster
09-11-2021, 05:52 PM
I'm Wayne Gretzky

FraserB
09-11-2021, 06:03 PM
I played in the game where Wayne Gretzky scored his last hat trick

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-11-2021, 06:04 PM
I have flown over 100m on skis.

killramos
09-11-2021, 06:12 PM
I mostly just work too much?

ThePenIsMightier
09-11-2021, 06:38 PM
I played in the game where Wayne Gretzky scored his last hat trick

Rob Brown fucked your wife and ruined your career??!

suntan
09-11-2021, 07:18 PM
I have masturbated to the most number of beyond members.

ExtraSlow
09-11-2021, 07:19 PM
I'm rob brown

rage2
09-11-2021, 07:37 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/13/automobiles/13STEAL.html

I interview a fuck ton of people weekly, and this still comes up a few times a month when people google me even though I really didn’t do anything.

It’s funny reading the article now, as this shit is the norm these days.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-11-2021, 08:19 PM

I interview a fuck ton of people weekly, and this still comes up a few times a month when people google me even though I really didn’t do anything.

I really hoped that was the cul-de-sac picture. I remember putting the claw sticker on my EG.

mr2mike
09-11-2021, 10:47 PM
I have masturbated to the most number of beyond members.

Doubtful Toilet_X

Buster
09-11-2021, 11:12 PM

Are those other guys still active here?

ThePenIsMightier
09-11-2021, 11:30 PM

That's "got some legs"... Is that some sort of accomplished ski jumping reference?
That's quite aways more than me.

davidI
09-12-2021, 01:54 AM

That's pretty cool. Do you still ski jump or when did you stop jumping?

My "claim to fame" would probably be having traveled to over 115 countries (plus however many unique territories/islands/break-away regions).

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-12-2021, 08:58 AM
I stopped jumping when I was 17 and started coaching so I could afford to take up auto x/track days and get a small education. Jumped once or twice here and there since then, still have my gear.

ExtraSlow
09-12-2021, 09:04 AM
I got to drive a train in the Rogers pass as a kid.

mr2mike
09-12-2021, 09:23 AM

Did that too. Field, BC to Ogden yards. Pretty epic.

killramos
09-12-2021, 09:25 AM

It was all downhill from here when You realized you took the wrong engineer degree

ExtraSlow
09-12-2021, 10:16 AM
It was all downhill from here when You realized you took the wrong engineer degree
The greatest moment of my life, all downhill from there.

spikerS
09-12-2021, 10:16 AM
I duffed a landing at the airport and crashed a plane. Stood it on its nose in a drainage ditch. Walked away like a boss.

JordanLotoski
09-12-2021, 03:09 PM
Kate Beckinsale and I have shared a bed:love:

JordanEG6
09-12-2021, 05:21 PM
Many years ago, my car was stolen from the parking lot at work.

Beyond banded together to find it. It was found a few days later by very vigilant Beyonders. Beyond was a much better place back in the day.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/100280-Red-EG-Hatch-STOLEN!!

ZenOps
09-12-2021, 05:24 PM
Indubitably questionable sanity.

Buster
09-12-2021, 05:41 PM
I flew 100m over Kate Beckinsale

killramos
09-12-2021, 05:44 PM
I flew 100m over Kate Beckinsale

Not as much of a flex as it sounds :rofl:

pheoxs
09-12-2021, 05:46 PM
I made some custom stuff for Shaquille O'Neal for his DJ'ing side project. That was neat.

JohnnyHockey13
09-12-2021, 06:08 PM
I play for the Flames.

ercchry
09-12-2021, 07:31 PM

I still can’t believe you let a kangaroo in the house :rofl:

JordanLotoski
09-12-2021, 07:48 PM
I still can’t believe you let a kangaroo in the house :rofl:

hahahaha, Yeah that i didn't approve of. She did leave my home in good condition so i was ok with it

ExtraSlow
09-12-2021, 08:02 PM
Maybe my claim to fame is that yellow shirt thing? Or something else? I honestly have no idea.

firebane
09-12-2021, 09:26 PM
Doubt anyone will know who she is but had the pleasure of hugging Mary Zilba in the 90s

Also not sure if it makes me famous but I worked with Linus Sebastian when NCIX had its hay days

rage2
09-13-2021, 09:13 AM
I really hoped that was the cul-de-sac picture. I remember putting the claw sticker on my EG.
Cul de sac photos and articles never had my real name, so only beyonders would know about that.

JRSC00LUDE
09-13-2021, 09:37 AM

At the same time though?

Swank
09-13-2021, 04:01 PM
I won a trip to 10 countries in Europe on the radio, end of the trip was a Santana concert in Spain. Hearing it played on the radio over and over for a week was cool. Won $7000 another time.

JRSC00LUDE
09-13-2021, 04:02 PM
I won a trip to 10 countries in Europe on the radio, end of the trip was a Santana concert in Spain. Hearing it played on the radio over and over for a week was cool. Won $7000 another time.

Well that sounds pretty Swanky.

ExtraSlow
09-13-2021, 04:07 PM
Well that sounds pretty Swanky.

JordanLotoski
09-13-2021, 04:48 PM
At the same time though?

Ohhh How i wish!!

SKR
09-13-2021, 08:36 PM
I played a season of women's hockey.

I'm probably not famous for that. I'm sure the entire league has forgotten about it. But statistically it's probably the best performance any athlete has ever had in any sport.

Ekliptix
09-14-2021, 08:34 AM
1) I was an extra in a bollywood movie, The Hero. Was never paid for it.
2) Lived at a boarding school from grade 7-9 (St Johns), lost part of my toe to frostbite during a 3 day dogsled trip. Friend lost 9 toes and part of his foot (grade 8), same trip.
3) Multiple cover photos on magazines, DVDs for snowmobiling.
4) Dirtbiked the Baja 1000. https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/413693-Story-Time-I-dirt-biked-the-Baja-1000?highlight=baja+1000

eblend
09-14-2021, 08:36 AM
Not really fame, but pretty much everyone around me comes to me for home and auto repairs help. My work is all IT sitting at a computer all day long, but I'm very handy and can fix a car (ripped apart and put together engines a few times) and do pretty much everything around the house (building my own home shortly too!)

That's about as famous as I am ever going to get haha. I spoke to Mike Hall from Rust Bros like a week ago on my trip to BC, he is just as cool of a guy as he is portrayed on TV, also met and have a picture with Joe McBryan from Buffalo Airways when I was up in Yellowknife. Probably two of my favorite shows ever, and got to meet the stars of both.

ThePenIsMightier
09-14-2021, 08:49 AM
^That's neat about Mike Hall.

I met Mantracker Terry Grant and he happened to be with Phil Lemieux while they were still on the show. They were nice enough to take a picture with us.

Maybe more normal around here, but I lived in Edmonton at the time.

Buster
09-14-2021, 09:05 AM
I played a season of women's hockey.

I'm probably not famous for that. I'm sure the entire league has forgotten about it. But statistically it's probably the best performance any athlete has ever had in any sport.

I knew that was you!

We kept losing to your team.

ercchry
09-14-2021, 10:32 AM
So this is more so for brushes with fame vs personal achievements?

Once upon a time we were shitfaced at the Back Alley and there were Flames there; at last call my buddy hatched a brilliant plan of swinging by the sports store he worked at, grabbing sticks and skates, then off to one of the community lakes we had access to for a little late night shinny… we were all sitting in one of the Flames’ player’s trucks (our “least drunk” friend behind the wheel) waiting on Phaneuf to get his ass out of the bar… he comes out, and just starts yelling at everyone and shuts the whole thing down… what a dick :rofl:

BerserkerCatSplat
09-14-2021, 10:53 AM

Once upon a time we were shitfaced at the Back Alley and there were Flames there; at last call my buddy hatched a brilliant plan of swinging by the sports store he worked at, grabbing sticks and skates, then off to one of the community lakes we had access to for a little late night shinny… we were all sitting in one of the Flames’ player’s trucks (our “least drunk” friend behind the wheel) waiting on Phaneuf to get his ass out of the bar… he comes out, and just starts yelling at everyone and shuts the whole thing down… what a dick :rofl:

Sounds like Phaneuf, lol.

Related Flames anecdote: A buddy of mine got a ticket to a Flames charity poker night from his boss, there were a number of tables set up and each table had a Flames player at it. Part of the event was that whoever knocked the Flames player out of their game got the jersey they were wearing and the player would sign it for them. My buddy was playing at the table with Jiri Hudler, who was already half-cut by the time the game started. There were a couple of girls at the table that Hudler was hitting on and it was pretty obvious he wanted one of them to win his jersey. Unfortunately for Hudler, my buddy was the one to knock him out and Hudler was furious (and also wasted by this point). He stormed off and refused to give up the jersey, and the event staff had to track him down and spend quite some time convincing him to take off the jersey. He eventually gave it up but as I recall he still refused to sign it. :rofl:

SJW
09-15-2021, 04:18 AM
This was me.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/175635-To-the-complete-asshats?highlight=Idiots+motorcycles

killramos
09-15-2021, 07:39 AM

That’s why the thread is so funny :rofl:

sexualbanana
09-16-2021, 10:24 AM
I introduced myself to people at car shows as SexualBanana, but not everyone was from Beyond.

Buster
09-16-2021, 10:38 AM

If we're discussing personal achievements, this would be a short ass thread.

ExtraSlow
09-16-2021, 10:49 AM
Y'all know I basically twist every thread so that I can comment. I don't think I'm alone in this.

D'z Nutz
09-16-2021, 11:03 AM
Sounds like Phaneuf, lol.

Related Flames anecdote: A buddy of mine got a ticket to a Flames charity poker night from his boss, there were a number of tables set up and each table had a Flames player at it. Part of the event was that whoever knocked the Flames player out of their game got the jersey they were wearing and the player would sign it for them. My buddy was playing at the table with Jiri Hudler, who was already half-cut by the time the game started. There were a couple of girls at the table that Hudler was hitting on and it was pretty obvious he wanted one of them to win his jersey. Unfortunately for Hudler, my buddy was the one to knock him out and Hudler was furious (and also wasted by this point). He stormed off and refused to give up the jersey, and the event staff had to track him down and spend quite some time convincing him to take off the jersey. He eventually gave it up but as I recall he still refused to sign it. :rofl:

He should have given it to one of the ladies Hudler was hitting on, but sign it with his name (and number) :rofl:

ExtraSlow
09-16-2021, 11:28 AM
I guess in terms of my own personal achievements, it's this:

ThePenIsMightier
09-16-2021, 11:39 AM

Either personal achievements or brushes with fame or bedpost notches or whatever makes for a decent story, as far as I'm concerned.

Here's another one:
I've bought and sold the same car twice and profited a little over 2x what I spent on the car. As one would expect, a snake ended up in the car for part of the second round, but that's par for the course.

Kloubek
09-16-2021, 02:08 PM
Fame: Never had fame, but I believe I was the one who brought "Black Friday" to Canada. I worked at Sport Chek for 15 years, and back in something like 07 or so I was tasked with researching our online competitors to create a best-in-class experience for Sportchek.ca. I brought up the idea in the marketing meeting to use the "Black Friday" term that I was seeing being used on USA websites. At the time I don't think anyone in the meeting had even heard of the term, and there was a lot of discussion as to whether it would resonate with our customers but we ran with it that year both in store and online, and within maybe 2 years retailers everywhere were using it. My manager also got us running "Cyber Monday" deals as well far before anyone else in Canada were. Yay. Exciting.

Accomplishment that stuck with me over the years: In grade 5 or more likely 6, in gym class one morning they had a competition for how many situps (real situps) the kids could do. Most didn't take long to give up, but by the end of the hour, my best friend and I were still going strong, and felt we could do more. So I asked the teacher if we could keep going just to see how many we could do, to which he agreed.

Well wouldn't you know it - we were basically superheroes. My friend was up to something like 2700 and I was up to over 2900 by the time they told us we had to get on with the last class of the day. So, basically, 4 hours or so of straight situps and we could have kept going. Now I'm lucky if my fat ass could do 50. Amazingly, this might have been my biggest personal accomplishment.

I have led a very sheltered life.

ZenOps
09-16-2021, 02:41 PM
So am I at the bottom for rep yet?

Ekliptix
09-16-2021, 03:22 PM
Well wouldn't you know it - we were basically superheroes. My friend was up to something like 2700 and I was up to over 2900 by the time they told us we had to get on with the last class of the day. So, basically, 4 hours or so of straight situps and we could have kept going. Now I'm lucky if my fat ass could do 50. Amazingly, this might have been my biggest personal accomplishment.

^This is amazing, I've never heard of anyone doing that many sit ups.

rage2
09-16-2021, 08:55 PM
So am I at the bottom for rep yet?
By a huge margin. Not even close. :rofl:

kJUMP
09-16-2021, 08:58 PM
Where is The Rural Juror these days? He usually had an interesting take.

I guess in terms of my own personal achievements, it's this:

schurchill39
09-16-2021, 09:06 PM
Where is The Rural Juror these days? He usually had an interesting take.

I heard he went into ExtraSlow 's art room and no one has seen him since.

ThePenIsMightier
09-16-2021, 09:28 PM
I heard he went into ExtraSlow 's art room and no one has seen him since.

You might say...
His fame got claimed.

DavidCaruso.yif

kJUMP
09-16-2021, 10:59 PM
I think the TPIM is actually TRJ... never seen them together in the same room...

You might say...
His fame got claimed.

DavidCaruso.yif

ThePenIsMightier
09-17-2021, 06:58 AM
I think the TPIM is actually TRJ... never seen them together in the same room...

Negative.
I would bet he is someone else, though. His volume of shit-posting was like two overclocked bots on far too many days for me.

ExtraSlow
09-17-2021, 07:02 AM
They are both my alts.

haggis88
09-19-2021, 07:45 PM
Brushes with "fame" - sat next to Burton Cummings on a flight to Toronto. Held the door at the Covid test clinic for Bo-Levi Mitchell. Picked up a sheet of paper and handed it back to Kelly Hrudey after he dropped it

I don't know if it still is, but if you call Bob's Urban X in the NE on a holiday, it's my voice telling you to email if it's urgent or when the store is back open :rofl:

ExtraSlow
09-19-2021, 07:48 PM
I call just to hear that message when I'm horny. It finishes me off every time.

haggis88
09-19-2021, 07:50 PM

Don't read my last post in the Covid thread :I

ExtraSlow
09-19-2021, 07:52 PM
That's explains so much.

ThePenIsMightier
09-19-2021, 07:54 PM
I was a child at the Blind Melon concert where the incident with Shannon Hoon occurred. Yes, that one.

tirebob
09-19-2021, 08:07 PM
I don't know if it still is, but if you call Bob's Urban X in the NE on a holiday, it's my voice telling you to email if it's urgent or when the store is back open :rofl:

That's explains so much.

You both have left me feeling like I have somehow been violated vicariously through my company, yet I am strangely okay with it…

Turkey99
09-20-2021, 07:05 AM
My artwork was once displayed in the Alberta Legislature building in Edmonton. Would have preferred somewhere in Calgary, but hey beggars can't be choosers.

R-Audi
09-20-2021, 09:03 AM
I was an extra in the movie Cool Runnings... think that was through my school. In the scene (Spolier alert!) where they started picking up the bobsled and carrying it across the finish line you can see me. (An in particular my gloves, as I lost mine, and took my Moms pink gloves for the day)

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-20-2021, 09:08 AM

Me too.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, my claim to fame. I was in a small newspaper article when I was a kid @ Prairie Winds park. My parents used to have the article cut out and stuck to the fridge for years.
Also, I was apparently "at" the opening ceremony to the 88 winter Olympics, as a newborn.. I was just shy of a month old at that point.

davidI
09-20-2021, 09:13 AM
Brushes with "fame" - sat next to Burton Cummings on a flight to Toronto. Held the door at the Covid test clinic for Bo-Levi Mitchell. Picked up a sheet of paper and handed it back to Kelly Hrudey after he dropped it

I guess I'll add to the brushes with athlete "fame" memories.

Saw Kelly Hrudey wasted at Shileghlagh's in Signal Hill several times.
Met Phil Housley and Kippersoff at the Whisky on 17th - chain smoking... pretty sure a friend of mine made out with Kipersoff that night but don't remember for sure.
My ex-gf flashed Iginla and Oliwa at Cowboys during Bacardigras. Iggy, being the class act he is, gave me a Bud Light.
Theo Fleury leased a house on my old street for a while but it was when the Dome was under construction so I only met him a couple of times. Met his 2nd wife a few times though - even helped break into their house through an upstairs window when she accidentally locked herself out.
Took Thomas Vanek's place on a houseboat trip when he got drafted by Buffalo (didn't get to meet him - just the guy he lived with in Lacombe).
Played basketball against Jeff Garcia in Jr. High
Met Doug Flutie at the White Spot or Cheesecake Cafe as a kid.

They all seemed like normal dudes and class acts.

JRSC00LUDE
09-20-2021, 09:29 AM
I was a child at the Blind Melon concert where the incident with Shannon Hoon occurred. Yes, that one.

The what? Who? What one?

Buster
09-20-2021, 09:34 AM
Blind Melon was, and is, a very under-rated band.

JRSC00LUDE
09-20-2021, 09:36 AM
Blind Melon was, and is, a very under-rated band.

Didn't realize how old you were. Also, are they still a thing? Are they doing some kind of "Well by now everyone almost forgot about us enough that we should do a nostalgia tour even though our SINGER is dead." tour (the vidz notwithstanding).

jwslam
09-20-2021, 09:37 AM
Oh, my claim to fame. I was in a small newspaper article when I was a kid @ Prairie Winds park. My parents used to have the article cut out and stuck to the fridge for years.
Also, I was apparently "at" the opening ceremony to the 88 winter Olympics, as a newborn.. I was just shy of a month old at that point.
lol my parents had a cut-out of 8yo me in the Calgary Sun interviewed at stampede. Quoted for something like "I like winning stuffed animals"

Buster
09-20-2021, 09:38 AM
Didn't realize how old you were. Also, are they still a thing? Are they doing some kind of "Well by now everyone almost forgot about us enough that we should do a nostalgia tour even though our SINGER is dead."?

I ain't young.

JRSC00LUDE
09-20-2021, 09:43 AM
I ain't young.

Me either. And obviously I know who they are, I just like rubbing thepenis the wrong way sometimes. I call it the e-stranger.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-20-2021, 10:04 AM
The what? Who? What one?

Have to assume he's talking about the Vancouver show where Hoon got nekkid and peed on a fan.

suntan
09-20-2021, 10:16 AM
Have to assume he's talking about the Vancouver show where Hoon got nekkid and peed on a fan.

Holy shit TPM was the fan.

ThePenIsMightier
09-20-2021, 10:17 AM
He actually didn't pee on anyone. It's amazing the silly folklore into downright false stories about it.
Think about being on the floor for an arena concert. There's about a 4' to 6' gap between the fence and the stage... Where the bouncers are? Where you get tossed into if you were crowd surfing?... That's where he pissed.
He couldn't piss on the audience if he tried.

vengie
09-20-2021, 10:22 AM
I reached the peak of my athletic career in grade 9 with 100% in phys ed.
I even received an award for it.

/Glory days

Xtrema
09-20-2021, 11:55 AM
I guess I'll add to the brushes with athlete "fame" memories.

Brushes now included?

Ron MacLean and I are stuck on the same night flight to Paris from Pearson and mechanical failure got everyone punted off. After 0 communication from AC and being punted around by Pearson personnel from area to area due to closures, we all got on back on flight 12hrs later at 8am next day.

Ron was not pleased.

suntan
09-20-2021, 12:06 PM
I saw Mike Vernon at Earls on 4th Street. He arrived alone, he left with two girls.

Saw Paul Dunphy at La Brezza.

Walked by the Stampeders while they were doing practice. Marvin Pope could probably crush my skull with one hand.

nismodrifter
09-20-2021, 12:14 PM

Saw Paul Dunphy at La Brezza.

:rofl:

03ozwhip
09-20-2021, 01:56 PM
Shook Adam yauchs hand in 95/96 at the BB concert at max bell. Met Ron Jeremy's a couple years ago at a hotel with some ridiculous broads.

Met the British bulldog and his brother at blockbuster video in Glenbrook. Was on the cover of a local paper in 06 for the work I did on my 2003 Lancer.

Quite a few more I can't remember right now.

suntan
09-20-2021, 02:37 PM
Oh yeah, I met Makhan Singh (Mike Shaw) at a 7-11 once. Really nice guy. We asked him if wrestling was fake. He said of course it was.

I met Gorbachev, shook his hand.

killramos
09-20-2021, 03:09 PM
What I am hearing is you guys meet too many dudes

JRSC00LUDE
09-20-2021, 03:24 PM

OR, not enough.

Swank
09-20-2021, 03:34 PM
Oh yeah, I met Makhan Singh (Mike Shaw) at a 7-11 once. Really nice guy. We asked him if wrestling was fake. He said of course it was.

Thanks a lot, now I'm going down a YouTube Stampede Wrestling rabbit hole :rofl:

suntan
09-20-2021, 03:49 PM

Going up to female celebrities usually results in restraining orders.

Disoblige
09-20-2021, 04:18 PM
Going up to female celebrities usually results in restraining orders.
Even Rosie?!

sabad66
09-20-2021, 04:31 PM
Thanks a lot, now I'm going down a YouTube Stampede Wrestling rabbit hole :rofl:

Abu Wizal from stampede wrestling is my cousin. I guess that’s my claim to fame since the low bar has been set here lol

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/slamwrestling.net/index.php/1999/12/25/slam-wrestling-canadian-hall-of-fame-abu-wizal/amp/

suntan
09-20-2021, 04:47 PM
Even Rosie?!

Especially Rosie!

Graham_A_M
09-20-2021, 04:56 PM
I banged Snowcat's mom. Ask her (Wrinkly on here) that was about 5 years ago

ThePenIsMightier
09-20-2021, 05:06 PM

LoL. What say you, Wrinkly ?

Disoblige
09-20-2021, 05:16 PM
Dude with your track record of knowing who's who in the zoo on here, there is no way I will believe you.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-20-2021, 07:09 PM
Dude with your track record of knowing who's who in the zoo on here, there is no way I will believe you.

I remember that snowcat and his brother used to pretend to hate eachother on beyond.

JRSC00LUDE
09-20-2021, 07:41 PM

Hahaha

Graham_A_M
09-20-2021, 08:07 PM
Dude with your track record of knowing who's who in the zoo on here, there is no way I will believe you. I have pics but will not post them due to privacy. I don't need a law suit on my hands