PDA

View Full Version : New Law? Retake driver's license every decade?

Ed the SOHC
04-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Heard this on the news that gov't purposal to do this... I hope not :thumbsdow

Ben
04-02-2004, 06:51 PM
I think that is so dumb, especially if it costs US money (which it most certainly would)

If they do make it required, it should:

-Only have to be done if you were involved in an At Fault Accident since last renewal
-Have more than 7 Demerits
-If you pass it, you should be refunded the full amount of the testing fee (why pay again to prove you can do something? Do you have to pay again to prove you know how to be a doctor and back up your PhD?)
-Make it a requirement for Seniors

What pisses me off is they say "There were XXXXXXX may accidents last year, we need some way of getting this number down"

Well WTF! This city is growing and the road system eats ass in the first place. Of course the number is gonna increase, our population in this city is getting larger and older. Not Smaller and More attentive

illeagle
04-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Cash cow...:thumbsdow

EG STyLeZ
04-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Yeah i agree with Ben. Why should you have to retake it if you have had a clean record?

hjr
04-02-2004, 07:18 PM
its retarded because the government tests the wrong things anyways. They want you to know all the rules of the road which are pretty much useless (red means stop, well no shit!) they dont test real skill. they dont even fucking care if you can bairly drive, as long as you go the exact limit and come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

Ben
04-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by hjr
its retarded because the government tests the wrong things anyways. They want you to know all the rules of the road which are pretty much useless (red means stop, well no shit!) they dont test real skill. they dont even fucking care if you can bairly drive, as long as you go the exact limit and come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

Exactly!

People who drive like fuckin morons will just obay the rules when being tested and then revert back to their old ways for the next 5 years. In order to accuratly test driver ability, you would need to test accident avvoidence and evasive driving techniques, skid control, junk like that, and I sure aint footin the 400 dollar test bill.

sxtasy
04-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Well it sucks that it will cost the general public money, but if the program fufills its purpose, we will have less stupid drivers on the road, which i give a :thumbsup: But knowing the government, they will still allow incompetent drivers to keep their lisence.

Speed_Dreams
04-02-2004, 07:30 PM
I think its a supid Idea. I don't have a Clean record but i have never been in an accident. Does it make me a dangerous driver? well i think im a safe driver. its the people that are traveling 80km on deerfoot in the fast lane that are the dangerous ones. but when was the last time you heard of anyone getting an impeeding traffic ticket? i sure haven't those people are the ones that cause the accidents. not the people who are going with the flow @ 110 and then we get pulled over for speeding. I hope this dosen't get passed. I'll have to move to BC if it does. just my 2 cents

Ben
04-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
Well it sucks that it will cost the general public money, but if the program fufills its purpose, we will have less stupid drivers on the road, which i give a :thumbsup: But knowing the government, they will still allow incompetent drivers to keep their lisence.

It wont solve a thing!

How does giving drivers the same test they took to get their licence in the first place solve anything? Driving is like Riding a bike, you never forget the basics, you just get lazy or learn new things as life goes on. only way you could change those habbits would be a rehab program, and like hell anyone will go for that! Sure makes this sound like a dumb idea now doesn't it?

finboy
04-02-2004, 07:32 PM
i don't think its that bad of an idea, but the things they test are common sense (except traffic circles, does EVERYONE forget how to use these? :rolleyes: ). they shouldn't charge for it either, thats total BS, but they're saying retesting will be done every 10-15 years, because that will do so much :rolleyes: .

i think most of the problem lies in AMA teaching people to be overly cautious as well, how many people here speed a little bit so they don't get stuck next to the 40 year old soccer mom less than the limit?

another issue is privatly owned registries that accept bribes and give out licences. here's an example for you, a courtesey car was returned to a1 autobody a few months ago, usually they photocopy a persons lisence and attatch it to the courtesey car agreement. only issue on this one for me? the woman was of east indian descent, and had her traditional garmants covering her face IN THE PICTURE FOR THE LISENCE. i have no problem with people wearing traditional clothing, but i even asked a cop who came in that day if it was legal to do this and he said "no way in hell." another example is my buddy bribing his tester with and extra 20 bucks to get his lisence, and he's already written off a car. so long as you have registries willing to give out lisences "under the table" this form of retesting will do nothing.

finboy
04-02-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Ben

It wont solve a thing!

How does giving drivers the same test they took to get their licence in the first place solve anything? Driving is like Riding a bike, you never forget the basics, you just get lazy or learn new things as life goes on. only way you could change those habbits would be a rehab program, and like hell anyone will go for that! Sure makes this sound like a dumb idea now doesn't it?

you'd be suprised how many middle aged and elderly people have forgoten the rules of the road, but i do agree that a different form of testing is required. IMO, make the tests harder, if you fail it, you have to wait a minimum of a week to take it again, fail more than three times, wait another 6 months. its sad when you can take the test, fail, go back the next day, fail again, and keep doing this until you pass.

mo_virgin
04-02-2004, 08:06 PM
is this already passed or just a proposed bill? because i don't think it will go through if its only proposed.

Strider
04-02-2004, 08:09 PM
just proposed,...

I think it would serve drivers a lot better if they crack down on chinese driving schools who will license anyone.

A_3
04-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Yeah, testing is crap these days anyways, the ama tries to make as much money off you as possible. It has nothing to do with how well you drive or if you can handle a car. I got failed for my first one because i got into the car, turned it on, took the e-brake off, then the instructor told me to tell him what some of the gauges and shit meant, but well i was doing that he put the e-brake back on, and being the nervous 16 year old i was i backed up not realizing it, i moved about 5 feet realized my e-brake was on appologized to him and explained that i didn't realize he put the e-brake back on, did my entire test without a demerit, came back and he told me he failed me at the beginning because i didn't have the required skills to drive... i then wrote it a second time with the AMA manager guy got no demerits again and after he told me that instructors are told to fail drivers on there first test for almost anything, especially males because they are to "cocky". I can understand the logic behind that but it's all based on the instructor and if he likes you or not, they got a category under auto fail that they can use anytime they want without explanation.

finboy
04-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by A_3
Yeah, testing is crap these days anyways, the ama tries to make as much money off you as possible. It has nothing to do with how well you drive or if you can handle a car. I got failed for my first one because i got into the car, turned it on, took the e-brake off, then the instructor told me to tell him what some of the gauges and shit meant, but well i was doing that he put the e-brake back on, and being the nervous 16 year old i was i backed up not realizing it, i moved about 5 feet realized my e-brake was on appologized to him and explained that i didn't realize he put the e-brake back on, did my entire test without a demerit, came back and he told me he failed me at the beginning because i didn't have the required skills to drive... i then wrote it a second time with the AMA manager guy got no demerits again and after he told me that instructors are told to fail drivers on there first test for almost anything, especially males because they are to "cocky". I can understand the logic behind that but it's all based on the instructor and if he likes you or not, they got a category under auto fail that they can use anytime they want without explanation.

werd, i know VERY few people who were passed first time.

they failed me the first time, and yet i went back the next day, took the test again, and passed, explain that :rolleyes: automatically failing people, what a joke.

hjr
04-02-2004, 09:15 PM
i failed the first time for messing up my parallel park, i rode up on the curb a bit and that was a failure i guess. a retarded baby with dead beat parents might have been sitting there and i could have killed it and saved it a life of misery! waaa, waaaaa. i had 10 demerits.

went the next day all cocky, with a fuck off attutude. got 70 demerits but passed! haha. (max is 75 right)

But its completely bunk like i mentioned before. I learned nothing from that test that i needed to know on the road (except perhaps traffic circles, of which i am now a master). No skid control, no emergeny manuvers. nothing. The testing system is messed from the get go. Did you ever wonder why europeans are the best drivers on the planet, they have mandatory driving skill courses in order to get their liscenses. costs more initially, but less fuck ups end up on the road.

finboy
04-02-2004, 10:36 PM
don't they have to take the test in a manual tranny'd car too?

rice_eater
04-03-2004, 10:45 AM
how is this going to change DRIVER ATTITUDE? If you're an asshole that likes to cut people off, tailgate and blow through red lights, how is this going to change? Don't tell me that you can't turn off your bad habbits for 20 minutes while you're taking the test and then go right back to the way you drove.

Also they say they should take the high risk drivers first...well who is that? The young people who have just got their liscences. Well why should they take it again only a couple years after they took their liscence. If they were already screened properly then we shouldn't have a problem there should we, unless the screening process was wrong to begin with and maybe we should adress that instead...also in 20 years a lot of laws have changed, lets see if the older folks know about them first, before once more going after the young drivers.

rice_eater
04-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Ben

It wont solve a thing!

my bad:banghead:

Ben
04-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater

so people dont develop bad habbits? of course once you learn how to drive you know how to drive, but how about your habits, your reflexes, or plain knowing what to look for while your driving.

please reread the post you just quoted of mine :dunno:

LudeRoca
04-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Strider
just proposed,...

I think it would serve drivers a lot better if they crack down on chinese driving schools who will license anyone.

Its not only the chinese driving schools, there are many others, the Indian ones arent that great either. Being an East Indian myslef I feel kinda bad saying this, but from my experience, fuck it, it was just way to horrible. I wont say which school it was, but I was doing the written part of my test in the class room where i did my inclass portion of the driving school. There were about 20 of us and no teacher around to wacth. I could have cheated but in all honesty who really needs to, the test is a joke, however many others did do so with one another. I went to get my test marked and the guy infront of me got one more wrong then the limit, the instructors reply " no worries, you still pass"
Another quicky, let me just say this, my instructor asked me to pull over infront of this car so he could join his buddies in the car to smoke a joint, made me laugh at first but then I though wow I wonder how many people this school has passed who have no clue what they are doing. It the registries and instructor school that are the problem. Just my 2 cents.

chris
04-03-2004, 01:18 PM
heres a link to the newscast reffered to http://www.canada.com/calgary/globaltv/story.html?id=ccb6e758-4142-4255-a671-1311fafea5b5 its not a bad idea, it will probably bring your insurance rates down, and the re test would be for ALL drivers

benyl
04-03-2004, 01:29 PM
I acutally think it is a good idea.

But I think that they should test people on a variety of things. Like driving on the Deerfoot, downtown traffic, etc.

There are a lot of people who don't drive like idiots who don't know the rules of the road.

ZMan2k2
04-03-2004, 01:32 PM
I think re-testing is foolish, because as has been said, the testing itself is a joke. When I got my license 12 years ago, the test was out of 100, each deduction was 5 or 10 points. Screw up and lose 20 points or more, you don't pass. Now that was with the old system, maintained by the Alberta gov't. The new privatized system is a complete joke. Now, the test is out of 151, the deductions are 1,2 or 3 points, and all you need is 76 points to pass. :eek: :eek: :eek: Yes, boys and girls 76 points. That means that you can bomb the test, only get a 50% and still get your license. If you ask me, that's the reason that the roads are getting more hazardous. Alot of people out there only know half of what they're supposed to. But hey, with privatization of alot of gov't regulated programs, the province will be out of debt in 2005, I just hope I'm still around to see it.:rolleyes:

hjr
04-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by chris
heres a link to the newscast reffered to http://www.canada.com/calgary/globaltv/story.html?id=ccb6e758-4142-4255-a671-1311fafea5b5 its not a bad idea, it will probably bring your insurance rates down, and the re test would be for ALL drivers you obviously dont understand the direction this thread went. The testing system itself is flawed, so they are wasting everyones money. even reading that article it just showed that basically all they care about is the rules of the road. Who gives a fuck! I need to know that the person in behind me isnt gonna freeze up and knows what to do it an emergency happens. i need to know that the person in front of me can do the same. i could care less if they stop on a cross walk. fuck people walking, they should be looking out for themselves as well (i do when i walk). Its driving on the limit skill that needs to be addressed.

IE - was with my amigo driving down the hiway this winter. bad snow storm and we were doing 60. we were following a large van doing the same speed. There is a car going 40 about 600m ahead but this lady waits until the last second to go around, jerking the wheel over and sending her (RWD) van into a fierce tail slide. obviously being a retarded unskilled driver, she over corrects and flings the van across the lane and into an even larger "drift". 1 more over correction and she is sideways heading for the ditch. She was saved by a small merge lane but fuck, that is the exact moment i realized our entire driving system was fuck'd.

Hollywood
04-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Dont forget it costs the tax payers money to even impliment the program plus the costs of doing the tests.

Alberta Citizens=Lab rats in a cage of laws.

BebeAphrodite
04-03-2004, 03:23 PM
I don't like the retest idea... I wouldn't be able to pass it.
I still can't parallel.
he he he

RiCE-DaDDy
04-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
I don't like the retest idea... I wouldn't be able to pass it.
I still can't parallel.
he he he

why am i not suprised??? :rolleyes:

jk :D

i think a retest is a good idea but under certain conditions like what Ben said, same for seniors as well.

2000impreza
04-04-2004, 01:25 AM
the alberta driving licence test is a joke... any dumbass can pass it. i wouldn't have a problem with this if there weren't any BS fees but we know thats not the case.. :rolleyes:

403Gemini
04-04-2004, 01:04 PM
from what i heard it isnt every decade and its not for everybody, but it would certainly be for seniors and people in accidents. or even people who sustained an injury and prevented them from driving for like 6 months. those rules i find fair.

a.) if your elderly chances are your reflexes and vision have decreased, gotta make sure your fine (dont get me started on grandma's who cant see over the wheel)

b.) people who were in an accident that it was their fault, yea they need this test. their first tester coulda been sleeping while testing... which it almost seems this is a common occurnce

c.) the whole injury thing, i think its good because if you havent drivin for like 6 months, you might be a lil bit quirky cause its been awhile.

403Gemini
04-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
the alberta driving licence test is a joke... any dumbass can pass it. i wouldn't have a problem with this if there weren't any BS fees but we know thats not the case.. :rolleyes:

and yes i agree it is a complete joke, in some states in the US the police do the testing, which IMO this is the way it should be. im sick and tired of these private academies who are letting people get liscences when they obviously suck... *cough* ABC driving academy *cough*

Zero102
04-04-2004, 11:02 PM
I think our licensing system is BS as well.
I have a friend from germany, he just took the license test here, he comes to me going on and on about how easy our test is.
I guess in germany they make you re-test as well, in different weather conditions, in different traffic conditions, it's a 1 hour test, and you have to do almost everything.
If we could adopt a system like that, it would keep most of these incompetent morons off the roads.

On top of that, I second what has been said about people just turning off their bad habits for a test. I'm sure most people out there CAN drive well if they had to, they just choose to drive poorly.

RiCE-DaDDy
04-04-2004, 11:10 PM
i think in sweden it's mandatory to take a snow drifting course weeeeeeeeeee

403Gemini
04-05-2004, 12:02 AM
only thing i hated about the test was parraell parking. granted i can do it, but i hate doing it, especially under pressure. you gotta do it perfect or fail your test, man thats rough. i dont think paraellel parking should be part of test but definatly merges, play ground zones, lane changes and shit like that

szw
04-05-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by finboy
woman was of east indian descent, and had her traditional garmants covering her face IN THE PICTURE FOR THE LISENCE. i have no problem with people wearing traditional clothing,

That would be the best picture to have in your passport, you could sell it to anyone!