PDA

View Full Version : PSA: MyQ Garage Opener 888LM free replacement

eblend
09-13-2021, 09:29 AM
Hi All,

I figure I post it here, not sure if right forum, but wanted to let it be known in case someone runs into this issue. I have a MyQ garage opener that came with and 888LM control panel. Apparently these panels have bad capacitors in them, and Chamberlin is replacing them free of charge through 2023, but in USA only. As I am going to USA myself in a few weeks, the stars aligned such that I should have my item in my office in Denver by the time I get there, but I figure I let others know in case you are having issues with yours.

The issues are basically...random things happening with your garage door. For me, it started with the motion sensor light turning on and off randomly with no motion in the last months or so, and progressed to garage door opening/closing/stopping half way at random hours of the day, all on it's own (I have a video camera so can see that noone is opening it). Anyways, seems to be a common enough problem that Chamberline is replacing these things free of charge with 889LM pads.

These are the pads in question (888 and 889 look same by the way)

https://embed.widencdn.net/img/cgi/hmphqdql3m/420px/889LM_hero_1.png

Alternatively if you are good with the soldering iron, you can replace the two lower capacitors yourself for a few bucks. They don't even look puffy or leak or anything most of the time, but still go bad, but known fact.

Buster
09-13-2021, 09:45 AM
My timers stopped working on two of mine...I wonder if thats a similar issue.

J-D
09-13-2021, 09:46 AM
My garage door opened randomly the other day and I couldn't figure it out for the life of me... Have that exact model, well shit lol.

schurchill39
09-13-2021, 09:49 AM
My motion sensor light is doing the same thing as yours. I thought I was going crazy!

?????
09-13-2021, 09:59 AM
My light stays on for days at a time and sometimes won't come on when the garage opens etc.
Never had my door randomly open though.

What's the address we're getting these replacement's shipped to? :clap:

ExtraSlow
09-13-2021, 10:01 AM
book a trip to vegas, have everything shipped to your hotel, hit the routlette tables as well, then profit.

4WARNED
09-13-2021, 10:17 AM
MyQ also stopped working this summer. Called a local garage door place (can't recall but i want to say Action Door). and they brought in a new unit for me on recall. Took two weeks but the recall does apply to Canada as well. can't remember where we found the link but no need to ship to the US for this. simply to install so i did it myself.

Buster
09-13-2021, 10:19 AM
i am also interested in the canadian recall info

MOB68
09-13-2021, 10:28 AM
I wish they would also 'recall' their crappy smart garage hub I bought last year. The expensive batteries barely last a couple of weeks in cold weather.

SJW
09-13-2021, 10:28 AM
I replaced mine with the ones for app control. Every time that door opens it buzzes my phone.

https://www.liftmaster.com/smart-control-panel-/p/880LMW

goldfish168
09-13-2021, 10:37 AM
Mine failed just a few weeks ago. I gave Liftmaster a call and they sent out free replacement 889LM's. The recall does cover Canada too, just need to call them instead of simply filling in the online form that the US has.

cyra1ax
09-13-2021, 10:46 AM
Been dealing with the stupid light thing ever since I got my jackshaft opener installed. Already went through two overhead lights through warranty, they work fine for the first month or two and then slowly fall into madness. Anyone know how you can figure out what panel you have? Can't tell if mine is an 888LM or the 889LM.

ThePenIsMightier
09-13-2021, 12:25 PM
Me also.
I've replaced mine once already. Fucking trash.

Pro tip: the light works more reliably if it's an incandescent, not an LED.

- - - Updated - - -

I replaced mine with the ones for app control. Every time that door opens it buzzes my phone.

https://www.liftmaster.com/smart-control-panel-/p/880LMW

Link goes to "Out of stock" and a cool seventy-one ratings of 1-Star... LoL!

SJW
09-13-2021, 12:32 PM
works great 2 stars

eblend
09-13-2021, 12:39 PM
MyQ also stopped working this summer. Called a local garage door place (can't recall but i want to say Action Door). and they brought in a new unit for me on recall. Took two weeks but the recall does apply to Canada as well. can't remember where we found the link but no need to ship to the US for this. simply to install so i did it myself.

Awesome good to know

Mine failed just a few weeks ago. I gave Liftmaster a call and they sent out free replacement 889LM's. The recall does cover Canada too, just need to call them instead of simply filling in the online form that the US has.

Sweet, good to know. I looked online and their facebook post had people asking "Why not Canada?" so assumed it didn't apply to Canada, but if it does even better! I will pick mine up in the states when I go, but good to know they can be had here as well. Might order a spare one here as well.

Super surprised to see how many people are seeing weirdness, thought it was just me! I would def get it replaced for anyone who is seeing the lights turn on randomly..it's just a matter of time before your door opens 20 times a night..or not work at all......going to kill my springs with the number of openings it did overnight.

JfuckinC
09-13-2021, 12:44 PM
i have mine on a wyze plug i turn off when its not being used cause i read somewhere they can randomly open haha

sabad66
09-13-2021, 01:37 PM
Me also.
I've replaced mine once already. Fucking trash.

Pro tip: the light works more reliably if it's an incandescent, not an LED.

- - - Updated - - -

Link goes to "Out of stock" and a cool seventy-one ratings of 1-Star... LoL!

Not only reliability of turning on the light. It can literally interfere with the communication as I experienced first hand
https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/409157-LED-Light-Bulb-Interfering-with-Garage-Door-Opener

The install manuals even tell you explicitly not to use led lights
https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/0c/0ceb91f8-0597-492e-9877-c86fcaa34a1e.pdf

G-ZUS
09-13-2021, 08:20 PM
Do they ask for proof of purchase etc?

cyra1ax
09-14-2021, 07:04 AM

When they sent me a replacement light as a troubleshooting step for it randomly turning on/off and not responding to the wall control, they didn't ask for anything but a mailing address. That being said, the contact email I used was the same one that I've got a myQ account for, so maybe they looked it up that way.

eblend
09-14-2021, 08:21 AM

Nothing at all for me with the USA order, just address to ship the new unit too.

goldfish168
09-14-2021, 08:28 AM
Nope, didn't ask for anything.

R!zz0
09-14-2021, 12:17 PM
I have the same garage (MyQ Liftmaster with wifi) and when i close my garage door it never closes all the way down. There's always a gap that's left open and it get little cold in winter. I might have to call them.

I appreciate it.

ThePenIsMightier
09-14-2021, 12:34 PM
I have the same garage (MyQ Liftmaster with wifi) and when i close my garage door it never closes all the way down. There's always a gap that's left open and it get little cold in winter. I might have to call them.

I appreciate it.

Just Airdrie things.

cyra1ax
09-14-2021, 01:01 PM

I appreciate it.

There's an adjustment that you can perform, will say on the manual how to do it.

M.alex
03-16-2022, 02:21 AM
I'm glad I read this thread last year.

I have an LM888 (installed Dec 2020) and today it decided to open the garage door by itself twice.

I thought I was going crazy, then I remembered this thread......

eblend
03-17-2022, 09:50 PM
I'm glad I read this thread last year.

I have an LM888 (installed Dec 2020) and today it decided to open the garage door by itself twice.

I thought I was going crazy, then I remembered this thread......

FYI, I ended up removing my LM888 all together. I did get a replacement unit, but it didn't fix my problem. The garage door kept opening randomly. I think the motherboard in the side mount opener is just starting to trip. I gave my LM888 to my friend with an overhead opener to make it smart, and took his dumb button instead. Since I installed a dumb button I have had no problems. I think the motherboard isn't supplying the proper voltage consistently to charge the capacitors in the LM888, and started acting funny. I am building a new home soon so don't really care about the smart button here...but did buy the same two garage door openers for the new place, so hope they work well for a while like they did here before going crazy.

realazy
08-02-2022, 10:43 AM
My 380LM light started staying on and not turning off even after resetting everything. Call their number this morning and have warranty replacements coming, really good customer service. Getting a new 380LM and the upgraded 889LM.