PDA

View Full Version : House Window Replacement

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-26-2021, 10:21 AM
Just moved into our new home yesterday, looking to have 7/12 windows replaced (5 are already newer). Recommendations for local companies to look at? 1976 build home, not looking for anything top dollar.

ExtraSlow
09-26-2021, 10:25 AM
One of the companies on the list should be Western Windows. But always reccomend more than 1 quote for work of this type.

ThePenIsMightier
09-26-2021, 10:26 AM
PlyGem is a reasonable quality window at what I believe is a low~ish price.

Tik-Tok
09-26-2021, 11:04 AM
One of the companies on the list should be Western Windows. But always reccomend more than 1 quote for work of this type.

We just had the basement windows replaced by them, and are happy with the work. Originally had 5 or 6 quotes for the entire house, and they seemed like the best of the affordable quotes.

Was a slight issue with internal communication between people, but in the end they made it all work to my benefit.

dj_rice
09-26-2021, 12:02 PM
An old classmate owns MAXGreen Windows/Siding and Roofing and their reviews are all good. I personally don't know his work so can't comment

sabad66
09-26-2021, 01:04 PM
An old classmate owns MAXGreen Windows/Siding and Roofing and their reviews are all good. I personally don't know his work so can't comment

+1 for max green. I used them for a project at my rental. High quality window and install. They weren’t the cheapest but weren’t the most expensive either. High quality install is very important if you want them to last.

G-ZUS
09-26-2021, 01:15 PM
West side windows and doors

nzwasp
09-26-2021, 06:22 PM
I was also looking for the same thing but I want triple glazed or whatever the best quality for upstairs windows directly facing the sun is.

vengie
09-26-2021, 08:03 PM
What's the going rate for windows?

ExtraSlow
09-26-2021, 08:48 PM
Used to be a thousand per. Prob 2x now.

Tik-Tok
09-26-2021, 08:57 PM
My two more expensive ones in the basement are 48"x30" Tilt and Turn style, triple pane, and were $1400 each. This included everything except painting the interior trim.

vengie
09-26-2021, 09:16 PM
I'm starting to slightly regret buying an older home...

pheoxs
09-26-2021, 09:41 PM
No comment besides sign up for the greener homes grant shit and get your eval first. It covers a chunk towards windows.

Clever
09-26-2021, 10:37 PM
Recently got estimates for a bedroom window and a bonus room window. It is being replaced by insurance for a hail damage claim I’m hoping they go with the Ecoline estimate since they can get the materials and install sooner but I doubt it.

This was from a small outfit called Radiant:

This is from Ecoline:

Tik-Tok
09-27-2021, 06:16 AM
No comment besides sign up for the greener homes grant shit and get your eval first. It covers a chunk towards windows.

Only if you actually get the inspection done. Still waiting for mine.

pheoxs
09-27-2021, 08:11 AM
Only if you actually get the inspection done. Still waiting for mine.

Did you call the company and set up an appointment? I got mine through amerispec, and apparently registering online through the Canadian site doesn't actually push your info to them. I got an appointment by calling and leaving a message to book in

Tik-Tok
09-27-2021, 08:20 AM
I left a message months ago, never heard anything back. Useless to me now anyways, since the windows were installed last week.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-01-2021, 02:03 PM
Started measuring stuff myself, figured I am going to screw up and better let a professional come do this.

redblack
10-01-2021, 02:29 PM
Did you call the company and set up an appointment? I got mine through amerispec, and apparently registering online through the Canadian site doesn't actually push your info to them. I got an appointment by calling and leaving a message to book in

Thanks for the info, I filled out the online form for the Canadian website and got no calls from the inspection company. Called them and booked an appointment for November.

Swank
10-01-2021, 02:38 PM
Had ours done by Ecoline in July, they were better priced with less wait time than Western Windows (booked measurements and ordered in April). Great to deal with and very nice product, I love the locking mechanism, seals the window up on all 3 sides (crank out windows).

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-08-2021, 01:56 PM
Got our first estimate, was pretty good imo. $11100 for 9 windows. Triple pane glass, casement for 2, awning for 4, fixed for 3.

vengie
10-08-2021, 02:00 PM
Still waiting on my Ecoline estimate from their visit three weeks ago... :dunno:

benyl
10-08-2021, 02:19 PM
There is a world wide LowE glass shortage. be prepared to wait.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-19-2021, 08:30 PM
We ended up buying from Green Fox Windows and Doors after a few quotes. The gentlemen we dealt with was extremely thorough and helpful in making us understand differences in panes, opening styles, construction quality, failure points, warranty differences, potential problems that could be found when the windows are removed etc. They were not the cheapest but also not the most expensive, but by far the most thorough in going over our needs, options, and actually caught something with a potential Egress issue that the other companies didn’t. I believe his name was Ihor who we dealt with. So far 10/10 recommend.

cdnsir
03-03-2022, 12:50 PM
Any recent experience or recommendations on a windows company? My folks finally had an energy evaluation done, and is looking to replace windows for the entire home.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-21-2022, 08:38 PM
We got our windows in yesterday and today. No extra costs or issues, done on the timeline they said. Took 6 months and 1 day from ordering to install, they suggested 3-6 months for delivery so pretty close I guess. Big difference already noted in temps and furnace cycles after being home for a couple hours.

dirtsniffer
04-21-2022, 09:43 PM
Subscribed. Looking to do the same. Need someone who won't fuck up all my stucco

RawB8figure
04-21-2022, 10:31 PM
Plygem windows are ok, but their service is horrible.

03ozwhip
04-21-2022, 10:58 PM
Plygem windows are ok, but their service is horrible.

Took 2 weeks to get a response back from supreme windows for just one window replacement. Said about 6 weeks out.

TimG
05-05-2022, 12:46 PM
bump for another recommendation for windows.

Have gone to a few places:

Hubbard/Lux windows. not impressed with the service from hubbard at all. guy didn't even want to come into the house to look at specifics. hubbard doesn't even have a showroom or anything (siding, roofing, etc) and spent 0 time with me going over options. Had to go to the Lux showroom April 4 to go over details. still have not received a quote.

SIS. they sell north star windows. got a quote from them in about 10 days. triple pane except for a couple of small ones where triple wasn't an option and we had to go with 2 pane loe 366. 11 windows + 2 new cut outs + a core cut to enlarge a basement window to meet egress came out to around 27k. 6 month lead time.

considering going to Pella but they're pretty spendy.

Lincoln exterior: came out last summer. didn't like their interior trim options.

Had Western Windows come a few years ago and the guy broke my doorbell when he rang and didn't mention anything. not too thrilled about re-engaging with them.

Any other places that i should check out?

gmc72
05-05-2022, 12:56 PM
bump for another recommendation for windows.

Have gone to a few places:

Hubbard/Lux windows. not impressed with the service from hubbard at all. guy didn't even want to come into the house to look at specifics. hubbard doesn't even have a showroom or anything (siding, roofing, etc) and spent 0 time with me going over options. Had to go to the Lux showroom April 4 to go over details. still have not received a quote.

SIS. they sell north star windows. got a quote from them in about 10 days. triple pane except for a couple of small ones where triple wasn't an option and we had to go with 2 pane loe 366. 11 windows + 2 new cut outs + a core cut to enlarge a basement window to meet egress came out to around 27k. 6 month lead time.

considering going to Pella but they're pretty spendy.

Lincoln exterior: came out last summer. didn't like their interior trim options.

Had Western Windows come a few years ago and the guy broke my doorbell when he rang and didn't mention anything. not too thrilled about re-engaging with them.

Any other places that i should check out?

We are having a window replaced by Ecoline Windows. Decent service so far. Came out and measured the window, gave us a few options for sizing. Also called supreme windows. Guy asked for dimensions over the phone, emailed quote for window. I emailed back about a different size and heard nothing back at all.

We have to wait until June or July for the window, but I was expecting a wait.

pheoxs
05-05-2022, 01:02 PM
I want to replace my patio door with a sliding door. Presumably the same frame size as it’s a double door with a regular door + spin open window.

Any recommendations or would it be the same window companies talked about in here?

03ozwhip
05-05-2022, 02:07 PM
Took 2 weeks to get a response back from supreme windows for just one window replacement. Said about 6 weeks out.

Just got my window installed on Monday, so quite a bit quicker than they mentioned, so that was nice. In and out in under 3 hours and wvwrything looks the way it was before they got here.

A+ for Tim's Glass(supreme windows retailer) in strathmore.

JRSC00LUDE
05-05-2022, 04:06 PM
I can't say we had a good experience with North Star. Not the shop who provided them but with the actual product. We only used them once as a result.

TimG
05-06-2022, 08:33 AM
I can't say we had a good experience with North Star. Not the shop who provided them but with the actual product. We only used them once as a result.

can you elaborate?

JRSC00LUDE
05-07-2022, 10:20 PM
can you elaborate?

Basically just failures and lack of support.

dirtsniffer
07-18-2022, 09:26 PM
thoughts on pvc brickmold vs aluminium? seems like ovc would be good for color matching and hail? Is it harder to get a water tight construction? needless differentiation between competitors?

So far I am between Ecoline and Greenfox. western is quoting in mid Q1 and I am waiting to hear back from Supreme.

suntan
07-27-2022, 03:22 PM
Aluminum is WAY more durable, but that may not matter in a residential setting.

No difference in water tightness.

Windows are way less secure than you think they are.

Clever
07-27-2022, 10:37 PM
We recently had some of our windows replaced from a hail claim and Ecoline was really great to deal with, now we are going to be replacing the rest of the windows but I’m going with Marvin Windows through my friend’s company, if you want his info I can send it by PM.

dirtsniffer
07-28-2022, 10:06 AM
Never heard back from Supreme. why show up and waste an hour of my time if you can't be bothered to send me a quote?

Most likely going with Ecoline

gmc72
07-28-2022, 10:27 AM
We changed our minds with Ecoline and decided not to get the window installed. We have to take the window though, as it is a custom build. I've been trying for 2 weeks now to set up a time to go pick it up. Left 2 messages and 2 emails and haven't heard a thing. Getting really frustrated with them.:banghead: