PDA

View Full Version : Question about insurance adjusters and how to get on vendor lists

heavyfuel
09-30-2021, 11:06 AM
Alright so I'm expecting the very worst here, but I'm at my wits end with this and worst case I just disappear again no big deal. As some of you might know I sold my company and I'm doing something else now. That something else's most steady work usually comes from insurance companies. DOES ANYBODY have any insight they can offer as to how in the bluest of blue flying fucks a guy gets in with insurance companies? Every time I call around and ask I either get transferred to HR who have no clear answers, and I just keep hitting wall after wall after wall and it's been almost 4 months of this nonsense, I figured somebody on here must know some ins and outs about insurance companies. Thank you.

To be clear I'm looking to get on vendor lists and I have all the necessary licenses and formalities. Not looking for a traditional type job.

JRSC00LUDE
09-30-2021, 11:40 AM
snip

Hey Heavy! Are you talking like home/building insurance companies to be a vendor for disaster restoration/rebuilds and that kind of thing or what specifically? I don't have any relevant advice on it but thought adding a bit of clarity might help someone else who may.

msommers
09-30-2021, 12:32 PM
I've been trying to break into insurance to do underwriting and it's been fucking impossible, even with connections. I know one guy who was trying to get out of claims, trying to transfer internally and still couldn't get a job, so he finally quit. I have no idea who the hell is getting hired

Masked Bandit
09-30-2021, 12:34 PM
So you're looking to be a preferred vendor (like a body shop or roofing company) for the claims department of insurance companies?

littledan
09-30-2021, 02:02 PM
You could start by attending/sponsoring golf events that the adjusters frequent. That would be a good in.

https://albertaadjusters.ca/

https://www.edmontonpond.org/

https://golftourney.com/golftournaments/insurance-all-industry-golf-charity-tournament-2019/

dj_rice
09-30-2021, 02:15 PM
Do preferred vendors do kick backs to the insurance companies to be on the preferred vendors list? Part of doing business right?

tonytiger55
09-30-2021, 02:33 PM
I spoke to friend. She said you have to speak with the Property Manager of said building or Procurement in Insurance. They are the ones.
Being a small company does not cut it anymore though. Its rally hard to get in now as they go with Canada Contractors. So that might be a place to start. If you do get your foot in the door. They would want to see you are registered, bonded with WCB and see reviews. Thats all the insight she gave.

I just messaged a buddy of mine that is further up the chain. I'l PM you if he gets back to me.

heavyfuel
09-30-2021, 04:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! It's got absolutely nothing to do with any sort of restoration/trades or anything of the sort. It's more along the lines of... being a nosy f*** lol, you know, watching the person with a back injury building a stone retaining wall in their yard, that sorta thing. I've been offered traditional jobs, but I didn't go through all this trouble for $21 an hour LOL given what clients pay in this industry.

dj_rice
09-30-2021, 04:23 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! It's got absolutely nothing to do with any sort of restoration/trades or anything of the sort. It's more along the lines of... being a nosy f*** lol, you know, watching the person with a back injury building a stone retaining wall in their yard, that sorta thing. I've been offered traditional jobs, but I didn't go through all this trouble for $21 an hour LOL given what clients pay in this industry.

Ahhhh Magnum P.I

heavyfuel
09-30-2021, 06:55 PM
Ahhhh Magnum P.I

Dunno about that although I do have a hairy chest and a couple cool Hawaii shirts lol

JRSC00LUDE
09-30-2021, 09:43 PM
Well I have no idea how to help you, but I hope you find it because that's kind of awesome lol

ExtraSlow
10-01-2021, 06:39 AM
Sounds cool. Have no idea. Expect it's a pretty small job pool.

killramos
10-01-2021, 06:45 AM
Have sexual favours been considered?

ThePenIsMightier
10-01-2021, 06:57 AM
Dunno about that although I do have a hairy chest and a couple cool Hawaii shirts lol

You'll need a 348 like that other member has.
Or did Magnum drive a 308 and it was an F110 on that Vice City show?
What did Higgins drive?

Whatever - you'll need an older, red Ferrari of some sort.

https://youtu.be/_XSsf7XXtVc

heavyfuel
10-01-2021, 10:15 AM
You'll need a 348 like that other member has.
Or did Magnum drive a 308 and it was an F110 on that Vice City show?
What did Higgins drive?

Whatever - you'll need an older, red Ferrari of some sort.

https://youtu.be/_XSsf7XXtVc

Yeah, I mean ideally a white Ferrari a la Wolf of Wall Street but for now I'm going to be thankful I'm not riding the bus haha

- - - Updated - - -

Have sexual favours been considered?

Do you know how hard it is to find size 13 heels? lmao

sabad66
10-01-2021, 10:25 AM

Do insurance companies actually do this type of thing?

killramos
10-01-2021, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I mean ideally a white Ferrari a la Wolf of Wall Street but for now I'm going to be thankful I'm not riding the bus haha

- - - Updated - - -

Do you know how hard it is to find size 13 heels? lmao

THAT WAS A COUNTACH

Ferrari… pah

dj_rice
10-01-2021, 11:07 AM

Probably big business with all the fakes getting money. Why wouldnt they try to recoup it back? I always see news reports shorts on Youtube in the USA when they go hunting for them

Ca_Silvia13
10-01-2021, 11:16 AM

Yes I had a buddy that was on a WCB back injury claim for years. He was followed and photographed a few times.

heavyfuel
10-01-2021, 11:43 AM
Probably big business with all the fakes getting money. Why wouldnt they try to recoup it back? I always see news reports shorts on Youtube in the USA when they go hunting for them

It's really big business. I was offered a job by Xpera, buddy went on and on about how much volume of cases they get and how he could offer me 50+ hrs/week and how they were the McDonald's of private investigation, then when he said $21 an hour and the most senior guys maxing out at $35, I was like yeah, sounds like McDonalds alright. I managed to get my hands on recent reports and invoices from Xpera and $75/hr is what they charge. Like fuck if I'm gonna settle for $21/hr lol the guy I sold my company to offered me more to drive a truck for him.

ExtraSlow
10-01-2021, 01:05 PM
Well in most consulting businesses, you should charge out about 2x what the individual gets paid.

Working for $21 for a year would get your name out. Probably can't get the top dollar for first couple of years.

redblack
10-01-2021, 01:29 PM
$21 for sitting on your ass or following them around taking photos is not bad at all. Sure beats flipping burgers or stocking shelves.

heavyfuel
10-01-2021, 02:42 PM
$21 for sitting on your ass or following them around taking photos is not bad at all. Sure beats flipping burgers or stocking shelves.

$21 x 50 hrs/week $1050/week x 4 weeks = $4200/mth = $50400/year gross, using 2021 AB/Fed tax brackets works out to $39406 net, or $3283/month, my mortgage and bills before I eat or put gas in the tank are $2700, = not cutting it.

- - - Updated - - -

Well in most consulting businesses, you should charge out about 2x what the individual gets paid.

Working for $21 for a year would get your name out. Probably can't get the top dollar for first couple of years.

Yeah I'm charging much less than the $75/hr Xp...err Mcdonald's charge but still didn't sign up for labour wages.

killramos
10-01-2021, 02:51 PM
I agree that would barely cover rent in Vancouver

ExtraSlow
10-01-2021, 05:37 PM
I'm just saying if you are trying to break into a new job, and it's a small and tight knit industry, you almost certainly have to get shit money and shit treatment for a while until you gain a good reputation.

I have no input about the pros and cons of that strategy for you personally.

ercchry
10-01-2021, 05:56 PM

THAT WAS A COUNTACH

Ferrari… pah

…he had both, near the beginning of the move there was the Ferrari scene, where it starts out with a red one and he goes “no, no, no. Mine was white” :rofl:

spikerS
10-01-2021, 06:53 PM

Yes, 100% absolutely. when i had a minor fender bender, the other insurance company hired someone to follow me. TBH, I had no clue until it was settlement time. I wasn't really worried about making big bank, but I was requesting $2k to cover my lost wages and parking costs while doing physio. Then they showed me pictures of lifting various things and moving around that this PI took. I just kinda shrugged and said "so...?" I never claimed I couldn't do these things...

Ended up getting my $2k. No idea how much it cost them, but, i am sure it was WAY more than $2k they paid me lol

suntan
10-02-2021, 06:39 PM
You probably look really shifty.

ExtraSlow
10-02-2021, 06:40 PM
You probably look really shifty.

Can confirm SpikErS is shiFTy.

AndyL
10-02-2021, 07:39 PM

WCB did it to me... "You were doing squats in the back yard" - "Yeah, probably a bunch of lying around with weights on my ankle waving my foot around in the air like i'm having an aneurism too... Do I get bonus pay for you guys having evidence I'm doing the prescribed physio exercises 3x a day as directed?"

mr2mike
10-03-2021, 10:56 AM
I did know someone that did the private investigation job for insurance.
Honestly it was a very boring job. Sounded cool on paper but he said it's so boring. Sitting and waiting most of the time.

I think the better job is repo man. Not sure how you get into that. Talk to the banks?

suntan
10-03-2021, 11:35 AM
First you have to repo a repo.

heavyfuel
10-03-2021, 08:12 PM
I did know someone that did the private investigation job for insurance.
Honestly it was a very boring job. Sounded cool on paper but he said it's so boring. Sitting and waiting most of the time.

I think the better job is repo man. Not sure how you get into that. Talk to the banks?

Absolutely. Did a surveillance job and it was boring as shit. But for $60/hr and not breaking my back doing manual labor, I can be bored for 8-10 hrs at a time given that I have no other qualifications and my only other work experience is manual labor.

prae
10-04-2021, 11:39 AM
Can confirm SpikErS is shiFTy.

I'm here for these dad jokes