PDA

View Full Version : lets talk dad bod motorcycles

Pages : [1] 2

Buster
09-30-2021, 11:09 PM
My car shopping has been depressing lately. Too much EV/hybrid nonsense, and the market has gone bonkers. So I'm thinking about getting back on a motorcycle.

Then I realized: middle aged dudes on bikes can look cool. But dad bod middle aged dudes pretty much look like dorks on bikes, whilst trying desperately to look cool.

So: step one - do something about the dad bod. Outside the scope of this thread.

Step two - get a bike that is cool, but isn't middle aged cliche bullshit. You know what I'm talking about. Never have been interested in sport bikes, so that's out.

My ducati monster has been sitting in storage for about ten years, but I'm thinking about just getting something new.

Right now, my top candidate is a BMW RnineT Scrambler.

ThePenIsMightier
09-30-2021, 11:22 PM
See if that lowest mileage bike in human recorded history is still available from last summer. Some idiot commented on it as of it was a "higher than average" specimen but he was the wrongest idiot ever.

ercchry
09-30-2021, 11:25 PM
These new scramblers (that one, the Ducati, and Triumph) bug me… they just don’t do anything well… times have evolved, just get an adventure bike… bmw GS or KTM adventure. They work well for bigger guys too, plus gives you access to more terrain.

Buster
09-30-2021, 11:30 PM
These new scramblers (that one, the Ducati, and Triumph) bug me… they just don’t do anything well… times have evolved, just get an adventure bike… bmw GS or KTM adventure. They work well for bigger guys too, plus gives you access to more terrain.

I think the scrambler nature of them actually improves their usability as general purpose bikes. I used to have a KLR and have done some adventure riding. Not really interested in it any more.

ercchry
09-30-2021, 11:38 PM
I think the scrambler nature of them actually improves their usability as general purpose bikes. I used to have a KLR and have done some adventure riding. Not really interested in it any more.

If you rode a KLR… that checks out :rofl:

The modern mid-sized BMWs and KTMs are so much more in terms of tech/power/handling

I dunno… the “retro scrambler” crap just feels disingenuous. I’d rather get deus/cafe dreams/federal moto to build an original airhead

Buster
09-30-2021, 11:43 PM
If you rode a KLR… that checks out :rofl:

The modern mid-sized BMWs and KTMs are so much more in terms of tech/power/handling

I dunno… the “retro scrambler” crap just feels disingenuous. I’d rather get deus/cafe dreams/federal moto to build an original airhead

I view them like most modern SUVs....they are marketed for offroad, but really are just starbucks delivery devices. BMW makes a non-scrambler version that I'm also considering.

- - - Updated - - -

ercchry
10-01-2021, 12:07 AM
Yeah… but like…

QzfdDUPSTqw

https://caferacerdreams.es/en/blog/crd121-cafe-racer-for-sale/

adamc
10-01-2021, 12:12 AM
All depends on what you wanna do with it, is this just for around town cruising and cafe hopping?

I will post an exhaustive list of my favourites here tomorrow, but there are some great bikes out there, we're in a golden era of motorcycling.

- - - Updated - - -

If you like this you should have a look at who does it better, imho, https://roughchild.com/

Absolute objects of art.

Buster
10-01-2021, 12:15 AM
Yeah… but like…

QzfdDUPSTqw

https://caferacerdreams.es/en/blog/crd121-cafe-racer-for-sale/

I think you're missing the part about being a middle aged dad, though. I'm not a rolled cuff hipster with a twirled mooostache.

- - - Updated - - -

All depends on what you wanna do with it, is this just for around town cruising and cafe hopping?

I will post an exhaustive list of my favourites here tomorrow, but there are some great bikes out there, we're in a golden era of motorcycling.

- - - Updated - - -

If you like this you should have a look at who does it better, imho, https://roughchild.com/

Absolute objects of art.

those are amazing. But as I mentioned, at some point but I need something more...mature?

adamc
10-01-2021, 12:21 AM
I have never particularly associated age with motorcycles.. but there are definitely a few kinda dorky "dad bikes" out there, mostly sport touring bikes. But I'm under 40 and will ride and enjoy anything. Yamaha FJR and BMW k1600 come to mind, Goldwings, etc.

It all depends on what you want to do with it, as I mentioned above. Around town recommendations will be different from bikes that'll get you to BC comfortably.

Personally I will likely be buying a KTM 1290 Super Adventure S, in 2022, because I have a Ducati for around town and need something to ride across the country in comfort. Other bikes like this? Ducati Multistrada, 1250GS from BMW, etc.

Do you like vintage looking bikes? Bikes with plastics? Sport bikes? Cafe? Cruisers?

ercchry
10-01-2021, 12:25 AM
I think buying the new retro version screams mid-life crisis way louder than owning the airhead version of a Singer Porsche :rofl:

This would be the mature way of going about it, the hipster version would require a whole lot more oil/km ridden and for sure some zip ties

Buster
10-01-2021, 12:27 AM
I have never particularly associated age with motorcycles.. but there are definitely a few "dad bikes" out there, mostly sport touring bikes. But I'm under 40 and will ride and enjoy anything.

It all depends on what you want to do with it, as I mentioned above. Around town recommendations will be different from bikes that'll get you to BC comfortably.

Personally I will likely be buying a KTM 1290 Super Adventure S, in 2022, because I have a Ducati for around town and need something to ride across the country in comfort. Other bikes like this? Ducati Multistrada, 1250GS from BMW, etc.

Do you like vintage looking bikes? Bikes with plastics? Sport bikes? Cafe?

Well, I fell in love with the original Ducati Monster, which is what got me into motorcycling. I still have it, 15 years later, but haven't ridden anything in about 10 years. I doubt I will do much touring, and no adventure touring. No sport bikes. So I guess I would fall into what I would call a "standard" - and the BMW RNineT seems to be pretty close to that. (Things like a shaft drive are benefits for not needing maintenance and such).

- - - Updated - - -

I think buying the new retro version screams mid-life crisis way louder than owning the airhead version of a Singer Porsche :rofl:

This would be the mature way of going about it, the hipster version would require a whole lot more oil/km ridden and for sure some zip ties

That's true. Although I think you can do midlife crisis well (I think the BMW does that, its not TOO retro), and you can do midlife crisis poorly (Harley).

adamc
10-01-2021, 12:37 AM
The R9t is a stunning bike and can be classed up quite nicely, you can't go wrong with one of those.

I do not like the r9t scrambler variants because I know they don't do offroad particularly well and if you're going to ride on the street you might as well be wearing a street biased tire..

Other bikes to consider like that are:

MotoGuzzi Griso - TONS of character and soul compared to the r9t.. Italian vs. German, soul goes to Italy every time. Super comfortable, have ridden and enjoyed it immensely.

Ducati Sport Classic - harder to find because they were only made for a very short time (1 or 2 years iirc), A black sport classic is a dream bike of mine. Not great for anything other than around town, hard on the wrists, etc.

Moto Guzzi v1000 Mandello - Not out yet, but should be available here next year hopefully. Going to be a very special bike from Guzzi, can't wait to ride it.

Kawasaki z900rs

New BMWs coming next year look pretty sweet?

ercchry
10-01-2021, 12:45 AM
For a standard modern bike… Blackfoot has one of these at a pretty great price, it might not look like the r9t, but in true 2020 fashion… it’s liquid cooled! :rofl:

https://blackfootonline.com/euro_productdetail.php?id=8275

Buster
10-01-2021, 12:49 AM
For a standard modern bike… Blackfoot has one of these at a pretty great price, it might not look like the r9t, but in true 2020 fashion… it’s liquid cooled! :rofl:

https://blackfootonline.com/euro_productdetail.php?id=8275

thats not loading...what is it?

ercchry
10-01-2021, 12:54 AM
thats not loading...what is it?

Weird… I even clicked it again from here as their site sucks… 2020 KTM 790 Duke for $8500

Shlade
10-01-2021, 04:59 AM
I think a nicely done up Street glide or Road glide is the only way to go. Some of the Indian motorcycles are pretty sharp too.

killramos
10-01-2021, 05:42 AM
What’s so wrong with your monster for this purpose?

- - - Updated - - -

I think a nicely done up Street glide or Road glide is the only way to go. Some of the Indian motorcycles are pretty sharp too.

That screams middle aged dork bike to me… might as well get a trike lol

ThePenIsMightier
10-01-2021, 06:28 AM
X2 on Monster or anything Italian. How about MV Agusta?

*when you said "shopping for a bike" in whatever other thread, I thought you meant bicycle.

cjblair
10-01-2021, 07:30 AM
R9t (non scrambler) fits the bill pretty well. If you never/rarely are going to take it on the highway, I might lean a bit towards a supermoto (not the KTM 790, a smaller lighter one - even Husqvarna 701 is over 50lb lighter). Slow things driven fast are more fun than fast things driven slow, and all that.

SKR
10-01-2021, 07:32 AM
Triumph Rocket 3.

ExtraSlow
10-01-2021, 07:45 AM
Dad bod on a ruckus is peak. Nobody will know if you are trolling, not even you.

Tik-Tok
10-01-2021, 07:45 AM
Isn't the official over-the-hill bike a Goldwing?

ShermanEF9
10-01-2021, 09:07 AM
Isn't the official over-the-hill bike a Goldwing?

came here to suggest this.

Buster
10-01-2021, 09:08 AM
X2 on Monster or anything Italian. How about MV Agusta?

*when you said "shopping for a bike" in whatever other thread, I thought you meant bicycle.

MV Agusta tend to be pretty aggressive rides all around. I've never been an aggressive rider. I love italian shit - cars, bikes, whatever. But I think it would be helpful for me to have something that I can ignore and just jump on when I want. Italian stuff is a bit more high maintenance.

adamc
10-01-2021, 09:12 AM
I predict this thread going a bunch of pages only to result in a purchase of a 9t at it’s conclusion.

Rocket3 is also a great suggestion. Completely trouble free power for days.

If you want to go Italian there’s the Diavel which is a super fun ride.

Buster
10-01-2021, 09:12 AM
R9t (non scrambler) fits the bill pretty well. If you never/rarely are going to take it on the highway, I might lean a bit towards a supermoto (not the KTM 790, a smaller lighter one - even Husqvarna 701 is over 50lb lighter). Slow things driven fast are more fun than fast things driven slow, and all that.

ya, that's a good point. I never felt my monster 750 to be slow...but it never felt fast either.

Buster
10-01-2021, 09:17 AM
I predict this thread going a bunch of pages only to result in a purchase of a 9t at it’s conclusion.

Rocket3 is also a great suggestion. Completely trouble free power for days.

If you want to go Italian there’s the Diavel which is a super fun ride.

Well, the 9T is the leader in the clubhouse, but this isn't really meant to be a "help me decide on a bike" thread as much as a "let's discuss midlife crisis bikes that are cool and not pathetic" thread.

88CRX
10-01-2021, 09:20 AM
Whats the trackhawk of bikes? Get that.

adamc
10-01-2021, 09:25 AM
Ah I see, I misunderstood the assignment

ThePenIsMightier
10-01-2021, 09:25 AM
MV Agusta tend to be pretty aggressive rides all around. I've never been an aggressive rider. I love italian shit - cars, bikes, whatever. But I think it would be helpful for me to have something that I can ignore and just jump on when I want. Italian stuff is a bit more high maintenance.

Good point - I hadn't looked at their recent lineup. Wow, now that I have, I'd still say that their Turismo Veloce might fit the bill.
You're almost never going to ride the damn thing, so don't worry too much about the typical Italian nonsense maintenance. Fuel stabilizer + E-Slow(TM) battery tender and you're off!

All these naked bikes with zero fairings or windscreens don't jive with me. I wear a racing suit and a full-face helmet on my squid crotch rocket and look stupid enough.
I'd point & laugh at someone wearing that on some of these naked bikes but I don't know how you'd survive if you wore thick jeans and an open faced helmet on a highway with some of these bikes. A wasp hitting me through my leather leaves a mark, so these bikes with nothing to deflect anything look great, but seem even more impractical.

killramos
10-01-2021, 09:26 AM

Is your Monster particularly unreliable?

Buster
10-01-2021, 09:45 AM
Good point - I hadn't looked at their recent lineup. Wow, now that I have, I'd still say that their Turismo Veloce might fit the bill.
You're almost never going to ride the damn thing, so don't worry too much about the typical Italian nonsense maintenance. Fuel stabilizer + E-Slow(TM) battery tender and you're off!

All these naked bikes with zero fairings or windscreens don't jive with me. I wear a racing suit and a full-face helmet on my squid crotch rocket and look stupid enough.
I'd point & laugh at someone wearing that on some of these naked bikes but I don't know how you'd survive if you wore thick jeans and an open faced helmet on a highway with some of these bikes. A wasp hitting me through my leather leaves a mark, so these bikes with nothing to deflect anything look great, but seem even more impractical.

It's a good point, although I won't have the opportunity to do much touring...too busy and too many kids to launch off for a big excursion. I think they have reasonable gear now pants-wise that have enough protection for a crash. Bugs has never been a huge problem, but I would never consider an open-face helmet. Grinding my jaw off on the pavement has never been a goal of mine. I've always preferred naked bikes - and like cars for me a bike is as much about how it looks/feels/emotion blah blah.

ThePenIsMightier
10-01-2021, 09:53 AM
Then I think the best thing you can do is get that Monster out for at least 5 rides and make a list of the things it's not fulfilling. Then find something that ticks more of those boxes.

ercchry
10-01-2021, 09:56 AM
I rode my bike twice this year… I keep going mountain biking instead when I have free time… doesn’t help with WFH and nonsense I don’t need to be anywhere either… used to use it a lot for general running around that doesn’t exist anymore

Buster
10-01-2021, 09:57 AM
Then I think the best thing you can do is get that Monster out for at least 5 rides and make a list of the things it's not fulfilling. Then find something that ticks more of those boxes.

I rode my bike twice this year… I keep going mountain biking instead when I have free time… doesn’t help with WFH and nonsense I don’t need to be anywhere either… used to use it a lot for general running around that doesn’t exist anymore

Look if you guys want to be reasonable and responsible that's fine, but you're ruining the party.

cjblair
10-01-2021, 10:00 AM
I think I might buy another bike soon. Thanks a lot Buster.

prae
10-01-2021, 10:07 AM
now I'm shopping for BMW adventure bikes. y'all are a bad influence

Buster
10-01-2021, 10:08 AM
Blackfoot's website looks like a myspace page.

- - - Updated - - -

Triumph Rocket 3.

Too much bike for me

[insert purse/skirt joke]

ThePenIsMightier
10-01-2021, 10:10 AM
I took mine out once last year and that was to run it out of fuel and top it with 1L of stabilized V-Power (which I naturally carried with me in... a San Pellegrino bottle!)

Look if you guys want to be reasonable and responsible that's fine, but you're ruining the party.

Guess what, fatty - when you get back from your second ride, I bet your back will hurt and you can return to complaining about F12 prices in Canada! LoL!!

So go buy a Panigale Corse and be cool. Or go buy an Indian with footbeds and grow a ridiculous, pointy, chin-beard that you crudely dye reddish brown.

*Wait - can you buy an Indian the day after OrangeShirtTwo Day?

ercchry
10-01-2021, 10:12 AM
Buster and friends next summer:

killramos
10-01-2021, 10:13 AM
I think what you need is 2 Monsters.

That irresponsible enough?

Buster
10-01-2021, 10:14 AM
I took mine out once last year and that was to run it out of fuel and top it with 1L of stabilized V-Power (which I naturally carried with me in... a San Pellegrino bottle!)

Guess what, fatty - when you get back from your second ride, I bet your back will hurt and you can return to complaining about F12 prices in Canada! LoL!!

So go buy a Panigale Corse and be cool. Or go buy an Indian with footbeds and grow a ridiculous, pointy, chin-beard that you crudely dye reddish brown.

*Wait - can you buy an Indian the day after OrangeShirtTwo Day?

Oooh, can I buy an orange painted indian, for full troll?

As for F12 prices...what the fuck happened. They are up $100k since last summer. I call shenanigans.

shakalaka
10-01-2021, 10:19 AM
Before I picked up my used Sportster, I was actually looking at the new R Nine T and the new Sporster. I couldn't justify spending the money on something I don't use much so I went used. If I buying new my top two runners would be the brand new Sportster (looks sick) or the R Nine. Fuck the dad bod, doesn't matter.

killramos
10-01-2021, 10:20 AM
Buster and friends next summer:

Im getting some kind of Deja Vu here

adamc
10-01-2021, 10:23 AM
I would own a "last generation before they fucked it up" Monster 1200s, before I bought a 9t. But that's just because I'm already partial to the Italians, they'll always build a more exciting motorcycle than zee Germans.

danno
10-01-2021, 10:43 AM
Did anyone suggest the Ducati diavel, nice fat tire on the back. Not sure how it is to ride though.

killramos
10-01-2021, 10:53 AM
Doesn’t someone make a glorified Tesla style high powered e bike you would like?

JRSC00LUDE
10-01-2021, 11:07 AM
If you really want to have a DGAF party with this whole thing give me your old monster for next to nothing.

Buster
10-01-2021, 11:24 AM
If you really want to have a DGAF party with this whole thing give me your old monster for next to nothing.

my monster would be ultra cheap

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn’t someone make a glorified Tesla style high powered e bike you would like?

you shut your whore mouth

BavarianBeast
10-01-2021, 11:53 AM
Get an Ariel atom or nomad.

Disoblige
10-01-2021, 11:55 AM
I want a Monster for dirt cheap. Me me!
I am guessing valve adjustment would be needed.

killramos
10-01-2021, 12:14 PM
I’ll bid $1 bob

Always wanted a Monster

Buster
10-01-2021, 12:18 PM
I want a Monster for dirt cheap. Me me!
I am guessing valve adjustment would be needed.

probably a good idea to do that, and the belts ya

tcon
10-02-2021, 02:41 AM
I would not recommend an MV Agusta, fun bikes for sure, but the parts/service network is practically non-existent in Canada. I don't think you can even buy them in Alberta now that Blackfoot doesn't carry them anymore and Echo Cycle is pretty much closed down.

Graham_A_M
10-02-2021, 08:26 PM
I'll buy it off of you, need a bike for this wife. I'll pay a lot more then "dirt cheap" for it too.

Buster
10-02-2021, 09:11 PM
I'll buy it off of you, need a bike for this wife. I'll pay a lot more then "dirt cheap" for it too.

My buddy was storing it for me and riding it to keep the fluids fresh. Here is the Kijiji post he put up.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/calgary/2001-ducati-monster-750-dark/1584136405

adamc
10-03-2021, 10:33 AM
somebody is gonna be really happy to rip that thing around for $3500

redblack
10-03-2021, 10:44 AM
That’s a good deal, I’m really tempted.

JRSC00LUDE
10-03-2021, 11:45 AM
My buddy was storing it for me and riding it to keep the fluids fresh. Here is the Kijiji post he put up.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/calgary/2001-ducati-monster-750-dark/1584136405

I can offer you WAY less than that, try me.

Pacman
10-03-2021, 03:52 PM
This does the trick for bombing around town. Hard on the wrists for extended rides. Parts are a complete shit show and take months to get from Italy but there is a lot of online support on how to fix things with non guzzi parts. My shifter linkage broke a few months ago and I had to nurse it home in 1st gear. Parts are scheduled to arrive in February via the dealer however, a trip down to Bolt Supply house has it rigged up for now. Owning one of these reminds me of reading 1970's and 1980's car magazines where they always made fun of Alfa Romeo owners trying to fix their cars with parts from washing machines and tractors.

Disoblige
10-03-2021, 03:57 PM
Looks cool but I mean... looks as attractive to own as a dog for Buster considering what you just said on parts and maintenance lol.

ercchry
10-03-2021, 06:55 PM
Passed some of these today, instantly thought of this thread:

killramos
10-03-2021, 07:09 PM
My $1 bid stands

Buster
10-03-2021, 07:16 PM

Not cool dude!

- - - Updated - - -

This does the trick for bombing around town. Hard on the wrists for extended rides. Parts are a complete shit show and take months to get from Italy but there is a lot of online support on how to fix things with non guzzi parts. My shifter linkage broke a few months ago and I had to nurse it home in 1st gear. Parts are scheduled to arrive in February via the dealer however, a trip down to Bolt Supply house has it rigged up for now. Owning one of these reminds me of reading 1970's and 1980's car magazines where they always made fun of Alfa Romeo owners trying to fix their cars with parts from washing machines and tractors.

You're really selling it.

shakalaka
10-03-2021, 08:18 PM
I have had two Moto Guzzi's V7. One exact same as above which is the V7 Racer and other in matte black V7 Stone II. The both were super reliable for me. The Racer gave me a bit of issues in the beginning but fix was DIY spark plug change by myself. Was quite proud of that having very little mechanics knowledge. Haha.

Both of the bikes made me money when I sold them so that was good. Guzzitech is a good forum and they have a store for cool parts.

ercchry
10-03-2021, 08:48 PM
I have had two Moto Guzzi's V7. One exact same as above which is the V7 Racer and other in matte black V7 Stone II. The both were super reliable for me. The Racer gave me a bit of issues in the beginning but fix was DIY spark plug change by myself. Was quite proud of that having very little mechanics knowledge. Haha.

Both of the bikes made me money when I sold them so that was good. Guzzitech is a good forum and they have a store for cool parts.

Reliable for 3-6 months… got it :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

Not cool dude!

- - - Updated - - -

Even the marketing material features dad bod’s :dunno: :D

ThePenIsMightier
10-03-2021, 09:13 PM

Super reliable for the several weeks that I assume you owned them.

Edit - oh shit, I'm too late.

Pacman
10-03-2021, 09:22 PM

Did you ever have to replace the fuel filter (which is inside the fuel tank) because they used a half plastic/half metal filter that was specified by Mahle to be only used in diesel tractors and ruptures after limited exposure to ethanol? What about changing the voltage regulator because they used one that overcharges (even at idle) which not only kills batteries but eventually takes out the ecu. Both of those jobs were not fun at all. Then there is the problem with vapour lock, the shitty charcoal evap canister that prevents the bike from starting in hot weather.

The shifter issue I'm going through now is a real treat as parts are delayed and the dealer hasn't been able to get oil filters in for over 9 months.

I haven't even bothered doing the spark plug caps (I'm assuming you are referring to that issue) yet as the factory parts are no longer available so I'm searching for another solution. Luckily, mine are working fine for now but I want to get ahead of it.

90_Shelby
10-03-2021, 10:05 PM

Not cool dude!

- - - Updated - - -

You were shopping for a TRX and bought a Ridgeline……

How could this not be the best suggestion yet.

Buster
10-03-2021, 10:23 PM
You were shopping for a TRX and bought a Ridgeline……

How could this not be the best suggestion yet.

Ridgeline is better than the trx in about 12 ways. Trx is better than Ridgeline in one way.

oster
10-04-2021, 09:28 AM

ThePenIsMightier
10-04-2021, 09:33 AM
I heard ^those don't work for very long.

Buster
10-04-2021, 09:33 AM

thats on the list!

CLiVE
10-05-2021, 08:25 AM

Nice. I've been watching that one on kijiji - and trying to convince myself to get a bike again. Miss my 06 Ducati SS1000 I sold several years ago....

Buster
10-05-2021, 08:30 AM
Nice. I've been watching that one on kijiji - and trying to convince myself to get a bike again. Miss my 06 Ducati SS1000 I sold several years ago....

Well, I own it, so let me know if you want to make an offer.

JRSC00LUDE
10-05-2021, 08:33 AM
I heard ^those don't work for very long.

That's bad.

ThePenIsMightier
10-09-2021, 11:56 PM
OP buys Honda Passport.
/thread

Graham_A_M
11-12-2021, 02:47 PM
Did you ever have to replace the fuel filter (which is inside the fuel tank) because they used a half plastic/half metal filter that was specified by Mahle to be only used in diesel tractors and ruptures after limited exposure to ethanol? What about changing the voltage regulator because they used one that overcharges (even at idle) which not only kills batteries but eventually takes out the ecu. Both of those jobs were not fun at all. Then there is the problem with vapour lock, the shitty charcoal evap canister that prevents the bike from starting in hot weather.

The shifter issue I'm going through now is a real treat as parts are delayed and the dealer hasn't been able to get oil filters in for over 9 months.

I haven't even bothered doing the spark plug caps (I'm assuming you are referring to that issue) yet as the factory parts are no longer available so I'm searching for another solution. Luckily, mine are working fine for now but I want to get ahead of it.
Yeah I think I'll pass on the Guzzi brand entirely, that is honestly ridiculous. They had a wicked deal on a Grizzo at Blackfoot, I was very tempted to get one. After seeing stuff like this, I'll pass and stick to the Japanese, modern Ducati or triumph bikes exclusively.

shakalaka
11-12-2021, 03:46 PM

Sorry I missed this. I didn't have to deal with the fuel filter issue at all, just the spark plug one. There is a forum that has a store which can sometimes be a little better for parts if they have them. Guzzitech is what it's called I believe. I did buy a few parts from them when I owned mine and they came in reasonable time.

https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/store

Buster
03-11-2022, 12:15 AM
I've never once, ever, wanted a Harley.

But the new Sportster S is pretty boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7kkNsAo6E

shakalaka
03-11-2022, 12:58 AM
Oh yea absolutely, I love these. I came super close to pulling the trigger on it last month but decided to go a different route for now and will circle back to the new Sportster in a year or two.

Buster
03-11-2022, 01:07 AM
Oh yea absolutely, I love these. I came super close to pulling the trigger on it last month but decided to go a different route for now and will circle back to the new Sportster in a year or two.

I'm going to get the monster reconditioned to be ride-able. The R9T will be my bike this year. But since I don't have a new car on the horizon, I can add another bike next year as well - may as well use the garage space while I ahve it.

Right now, looking into the future, that might be: SportsterS, Ducati Streetfighter V2, Diavel, Triumph Bonneville Bobber.

Shlade
03-11-2022, 06:28 AM
Ya the new sportster is sharp. Still just a bar hopper with that tiny tank though.

Harley is really doing a great job the last little bit with the updated styling on their models... If the road glide nST wasnt so expensive id consider one for sure.

cjblair
03-11-2022, 08:47 AM
The new sportster is great. Apparently the Pan American is also actually awesome. Wouldn't buy it over a BMW GS, or even the Duc adv bike, but it looks great.

ThePenIsMightier
03-11-2022, 08:58 AM
Small tank is so #Green #Eco.

gmc72
03-11-2022, 09:30 AM
I've never once, ever, wanted a Harley.

But the new Sportster S is pretty boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7kkNsAo6E

With only 1.5" of rear shock travel, you better have a fat ass to absorb the shocks from the roads around here.

Looks cool, but that's about it.

ThePenIsMightier
03-11-2022, 10:06 AM
With only 1.5" of rear shock travel, you better have a fat ass to absorb the shocks from the roads around here.

Checks thread title.
Thread title checks out.

Buster
03-11-2022, 10:38 AM

Looking cool is important for a dad bod.

shakalaka
03-11-2022, 11:15 AM
I'm going to get the monster reconditioned to be ride-able. The R9T will be my bike this year. But since I don't have a new car on the horizon, I can add another bike next year as well - may as well use the garage space while I ahve it.

Right now, looking into the future, that might be: SportsterS, Ducati Streetfighter V2, Diavel, Triumph Bonneville Bobber.

I got rid of my Sportster a month ago. I liked it and wanted one for the longest time but realized it wasn't my style of a bike (for that old of a generation) as I only rode it 200 kms last season. So was contemplating the new Sportster as I felt it would be better but with all the money I drop on cars, couldn't justify doing that for a bike that I won't have THAT much time to ride. R9T would have been sweet too and went to check them out in person, but the same thing really, just couldn't justify dropping the coin. Plus stock is crazy low these days. I ended up buying a Ducati monster 797 ABS actually and have plans to mod the crap out of it and make it a cafe racer style bike. Already ordered a bunch of parts for it. Think I would enjoy it a lot more. It's a 2017 with 2K km's so it's mint and I think I'd like to keep it a couple of seasons at least, especially if I enjoy riding it this season. Eventually though, I think I would love to have one of the new Sportster's when perhaps they are available in the used market for better pricing.

I barely have my wife 'ok' with what I do with cars, last thing I want to do is put multiple bikes in the mix as I almost contemplated keeping the Sportster and getting a Monster as well. lol.

Buster
03-11-2022, 11:17 AM
I got rid of my Sportster a month ago. I liked it and wanted one for the longest time but realized it wasn't my style of a bike (for that old of a generation) as I only rode it 200 kms last season. So was contemplating the new Sportster as I felt it would be better but with all the money I drop on cars, couldn't justify doing that for a bike that I won't have THAT much time to ride. R9T would have been sweet too and went to check them out in person, but the same thing really, just couldn't justify dropping the coin. Plus stock is crazy low these days. I ended up buying a Ducati monster 797 ABS actually and have plans to mod the crap out of it and make it a cafe racer style bike. Already ordered a bunch of parts for it. Think I would enjoy it a lot more. It's a 2017 with 2K km's so it's mint and I think I'd like to keep it a couple of seasons at least, especially if I enjoy riding it this season. Eventually though, I think I would love to have one of the new Sportster's when perhaps they are available in the used market for better pricing.

I barely have my wife 'ok' with what I do with cars, last thing I want to do is put multiple bikes in the mix as I almost contemplated keeping the Sportster and getting a Monster as well. lol.

Awesome choice...I obviously love monsters. It's the bike that made me interested in bikes.

Put up some pics!

SJW
03-11-2022, 11:21 AM
I just bought a cb500F for commuting to work. Gonna have to adjust the preload. I'm a big mutha fucka.

gmc72
03-11-2022, 11:26 AM
My front isn't adjustable at all, and the rear is electronic. I hope that it's ok for my size (250-ish lbs). Might have to set the rear to 2 rider mode. HAHA!! :cry:

Buster
03-11-2022, 11:27 AM
My front isn't adjustable at all, and the rear is electronic. I hope that it's ok for my size (250-ish lbs). Might have to set the rear to 2 rider mode. HAHA!! :cry:

hahaha

shakalaka
03-11-2022, 12:22 PM
Awesome choice...I obviously love monsters. It's the bike that made me interested in bikes.

Put up some pics!

Itís pretty stock right now except a Vance and Hines slip-on exhaust which sounds awesome. I have the following items waiting for me to install:

Rear fender delete and turn signal delete with aftermarket taillight.
Front bunny ear mirrors delete with bar end mirrors.
Front turn signal delete with forks mounted turn signals.
Rear white cowl your match the matte white.

Think it would look pretty sweet once all the mods are on.

gmc72
03-11-2022, 12:28 PM
I do like that era of monster. Almost got an 821, but decided against it for other reasons. Congrats on the bike.

Buster
03-11-2022, 01:37 PM
It’s pretty stock right now except a Vance and Hines slip-on exhaust which sounds awesome. I have the following items waiting for me to install:

Rear fender delete and turn signal delete with aftermarket taillight.
Front bunny ear mirrors delete with bar end mirrors.
Front turn signal delete with forks mounted turn signals.
Rear white cowl your match the matte white.

Think it would look pretty sweet once all the mods are on.

Awesome!

I love it

Rocket1k78
03-11-2022, 01:41 PM
Major monster fan boy too. There was a guy that lived by me that had an S4R and it was music to my ears

https://www.texmotorbike.com/start.html

Buster
03-11-2022, 01:48 PM
shakalaka you should pick up some dynamoto stands. Mine just arrived today.

https://www.dynamotousa.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF_sNujjYX4

ThePenIsMightier
03-11-2022, 03:40 PM
^Those are for racing ONLY.