PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use tire savers/Race Ramps for car storage?

JordanEG6
10-13-2021, 05:27 PM
As the title reads, does anyone use a set of Race Ramps or tire savers when storing your sports cars for the winter?

I ask because my car is now in storage with a set of Sport Cup 2s on them and am wondering if it's a concern that they would develop flat spots over the winter and if tire savers are worth getting.

Does anyone have experience or issues with storage that warrant buying a set of these? If so, is there a brand you recommend getting that is available in Canada? Thanks.

Team_Mclaren
10-13-2021, 05:44 PM
I've just left the tires on the car every year on all the summer cars. Been doing that for the last 7 years and never had a problem so imo it's not worth it. The M5 and M2 are both sitting on PS4S non cup tires tho. Not sure if that makes a different.

edit: All the summer cars are stored in a non-heated garage.

Buster
10-13-2021, 05:47 PM
i think the flat spots go away pretty quick? I like the idea of them, though.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-13-2021, 06:11 PM
I wouldn’t worry much as long as they garage doesn’t get too cold, since Cup2s will be effected by cold.

ThePenIsMightier
10-13-2021, 06:14 PM
I never have. I've told myself that I'll put 4 chunks of Styrofoam(TM) under them, but then just end up getting distracted, or blown or beating off.
#SlippedMyMind

*Note that Styrofoam is a registered trademark of the Dow Chemical Corporation, is exclusively blue in colour and has never ever been used to package food or other consumer goods.

That.Guy.S30
10-13-2021, 08:25 PM
I have my R888 and my PS2 on both cars in the garage in winter. They get flatspotted over winter but a quick run around the block and its all good again. I did once have my R888 on cusco ramps one year and it did not at spot the tires.

Misterman
10-13-2021, 09:16 PM
The whole flat spotting issue was more of a bias ply tire problem from my understanding. But if I was going to store my car for more than just through the winter, and they were expensive tires like PS2's, I'd likely want to take more precaution myself as well. Cheap set of steelies with junk tires on them would be a good option. Then you can just stack your good tires on their sides.

spike98
10-14-2021, 06:05 AM
I would imagine that either product would have to have the radius of the cut out the same size as the radius of the tire to actually do anything appreciable. Seems like a one size fits all approach would more harm than good in some cases. At any rate, i agree with the others in that storing them without anything hasn't had any permanent ill effect on my tires.

dj_rice
10-14-2021, 06:29 AM
Top up your tire with air before storage, and then just set it and forget it. If you do get flat spots (doubtful), after a few drives, it'll be gone.

I read on some Continental FB ad thing about winter storage, to cut up pads of carpet, and then place under the tires in the garage to prevent flat spots.

shakalaka
10-14-2021, 07:22 AM
On the topic of winter storage, anything else special needs to be done other than full tank of fuel, fuel stabilizer and a trickle charger? Think for the first time, going to 'store' a car over winter and not drive it at all so want to do it right.

ExtraSlow
10-14-2021, 07:29 AM
Fully inflate tires. Don't fuck with it over the winter. That's it.

Coukd bring Battery inside the house, but whatev.

ThePenIsMightier
10-14-2021, 07:30 AM
On the topic of winter storage, anything else special needs to be done other than full tank of fuel, fuel stabilizer and a trickle charger? Think for the first time, going to 'store' a car over winter and not drive it at all so want to do it right.

Run it so the fuel stabilizer gets around before storing. Find ethanol-free fuel.
The end

ThePenIsMightier
10-14-2021, 07:39 AM
Coukd bring Battery inside the house, but whatev.

Don't do that!!
Remember, he's likely talking about something like that AMG-GTS and those things might need a permission procedure to remove their battery or they won't start after.

bjstare
10-14-2021, 07:47 AM
Run it so the fuel stabilizer gets around before storing. Find ethanol-free fuel.
The end

Lol fuel stabilizer, what is this the 1970s?
shakalaka just sell it, you'll want something different come springtime ;)

ExtraSlow
10-14-2021, 07:48 AM
Don't do that!!
Remember, he's likely talking about something like that AMG-GTS and those things might need a permission procedure to remove their battery or they won't start after.

Good point. I have no knowledge of stupid cars or nice cars. Only things I've ever stored were beaters.
Battery indoors is handy in case your battery tender cord gets unplugged and forgotten and then battery goes flat and freezes solid.

ThePenIsMightier
10-14-2021, 07:56 AM

LoL, I had a bottle of stabilizer go bad, once. I should of taken a picture and written an Alanis Morissette song.

I still believe it does a valuable service even though today's fuel stability is likely higher. Is there evidence that it's no longer needed? What does Dr. Skeletor say?
I'll try ivermectin this year.

ExtraSlow
10-14-2021, 08:29 AM
If you can get yourself ethanol free gas, that's a good start. Fuel stabilizer probably not required, but whatev, probably not hurting anything either.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-14-2021, 08:30 AM
Man some of you are anal about prepping for winter parking. I literally parked the car out of the way and pulled the battery. Tires were already above door placard specs.

That being said if I actually owned something nice…

dj_rice
10-14-2021, 09:08 AM
Do you guys typically do an oil change right before storage?

ExtraSlow
10-14-2021, 09:19 AM
If you do one a year, right before storage is a good time. But i wouldn't stress too much about it.

shakalaka
10-14-2021, 09:35 AM

Can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind but it doesn't make sense getting anything similar right before winter and typically you get shafted on value for these sort of vehicles right before winter and I am not desperate to sell so will sit on it. If I can, I might move it in Spring for something else, otherwise will enjoy it for one more summer at least lol.

But storage with stabilizer and a trickle charger sounds good and should do the trick. It'll be in a heated garage anyway so shouldn't be too big of a deal.

mr2mike
10-14-2021, 09:42 AM
Do you guys typically do an oil change right before storage?

And let the oil age over the winter? Nope.
Car sits. Change oil and filter in spring. Crank motor with fuse out to get oil pressure up. Put back fuse. Start car.

I also don't start car weekly in winter.

bjstare
10-14-2021, 11:52 AM
And let the oil age over the winter? Nope.
Car sits. Change oil and filter in spring. Crank motor with fuse out to get oil pressure up. Put back fuse. Start car.

I also don't start car weekly in winter.

He's storing the car for months, not decades. Oil doesn't "go bad" sitting (or at least not that quickly).

My un-researched assumption was that it's better to do fresh oil before storage because then the cars not sitting full of old oil that's full of contaminants :dunno:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-14-2021, 12:16 PM
I’d rather change my oil in spring since oil sitting over winter in our climate has a chance of going through condensation cycles.

JordanEG6
10-14-2021, 01:21 PM
So just some context here:

- Brand spanking new 2021 model, 3000km on it
- No oil change
- Full gas tank
- Tire pressures optimized
- Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s on all wheels (24530ZR20s)
- Non-heated, but insulated garage
- No car cover

Having said all that I don't think I need to worry about stabilizers or batteries or anything I need to add or take away really.

The consensus seems like it's not needed and any flat spots after 6 months of sitting, it should be good to go after a few runs out in the Spring? I'd rather do without the ramps as it saves me the cost, so this is good news.

ThePenIsMightier
10-14-2021, 01:24 PM

- No oil change
- Full gas tank
- No car cover

Having said all that I don't think I need to worry about stabilizers or batteries or anything I need to add or take away really.

The consensus seems like it's not needed and any flat spots after 6 months of sitting, it should be good to go after a few runs out in the Spring? I'd rather do without the ramps as it saves me the cost, so this is good news.

Yes, but if it's cleaned or waxed, I'd put a cover on it.
I'd maybe consider extra 10-15psi of air over normal.

bjstare
10-14-2021, 01:54 PM

- No oil change
- Full gas tank
- No car cover

I mean, you probably should do something about the battery. Why not put it on a tender, they're cheap.

If you aren't doing anything with the wheels/tires, then make sure it definitely doesn't get moved when it's freezing out. Apparently those tires are super sensitive to flexing when cold, and rapid temp/pressure change.

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-14-2021, 02:11 PM
As stated, I top the tank off, throw a tender on the battery, and don't fuck with it til Spring. All my oil changes in the spring, so there's no condensation in the oil. I do this for 2 cars and a bike for the last few years.

mr2mike
10-14-2021, 02:14 PM
He's storing the car for months, not decades. Oil doesn't "go bad" sitting (or at least not that quickly).

My un-researched assumption was that it's better to do fresh oil before storage because then the cars not sitting full of old oil that's full of contaminants :dunno:

I felt like SportEL looking for articles to back my statement up.
Haha.https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/motor-oil/articles/why-motor-oil-deteriorates/

Car sits for basically 7 months. Why have new expensive oil in there?!
But unlike SportEL, I don't give a shit. Do what you want. Jerk off into the tank like PenisMightyer would pump as the best fuel stabilizer. I don't care.

JordanEG6
10-14-2021, 02:33 PM
I mean, you probably should do something about the battery. Why not put it on a tender, they're cheap.

If you aren't doing anything with the wheels/tires, then make sure it definitely doesn't get moved when it's freezing out. Apparently those tires are super sensitive to flexing when cold, and rapid temp/pressure change.

Just ordered a battery tender off Amazon.

I do know about the tires being hockey pucks in the winter and prone to cracking in extreme low temps. I plan to literally leave it be for 6 months until Spring allows me to bring her out again.

Thanks all for the advice.

tirebob
10-14-2021, 02:46 PM

- No oil change
- Full gas tank
- No car cover

JordanEG6

Sport Cup 2's are definitely one of the tires that is a little more sensitive in the compounding than everyday tires and flat-spotting sitting in the cold is legit. Once they warm and get used some after winter it often might be enough to bring them back but I would personally not park on those all winter long in a cold unheated garage. Even if you could park on some old thick carpet pieces or something is a help as the concrete will transfer a lot of cold in from the ground outside, and braking that up a bit isn't the worst idea.

dj_rice
10-14-2021, 04:09 PM
JordanEG6

Even if you could park on some old thick carpet pieces or something is a help as the concrete will transfer a lot of cold in from the ground outside, and braking that up a bit isn't the worst idea.

So this tip is true!!! I read it online but thought it was whack but coming from you...

tirebob
10-14-2021, 04:32 PM
So this tip is true!!! I read it online but thought it was whack but coming from you...I won't go as far to say it is a perfect solution for every tire in every situation, but I know guys who do it and swear by it for sure.

JordanEG6
10-14-2021, 05:19 PM
JordanEG6

Sport Cup 2's are definitely one of the tires that is a little more sensitive in the compounding than everyday tires and flat-spotting sitting in the cold is legit. Once they warm and get used some after winter it often might be enough to bring them back but I would personally not park on those all winter long in a cold unheated garage. Even if you could park on some old thick carpet pieces or something is a help as the concrete will transfer a lot of cold in from the ground outside, and braking that up a bit isn't the worst idea.

I cut up 8 spare mid pile carpet pieces and will try it out by doubling up underneath each tire. Thanks for the advice!

rc2002
10-14-2021, 07:13 PM
Some summer tires suffer performance degradation if stored below freezing. I had some Advan AD08 tires and the manufacturer specifically recommended they be kept out of freezing temperatures. That said, I always store my tires indoors when they are not on the car (summer or winter tires) in double plastic bags and this seems to help reduce weathering.

Might be best to check the manufacturer recommendations on storage. Many times they are published, if not then you can send them an email or call them.

ThePenIsMightier
10-14-2021, 07:14 PM
Some summer tires suffer performance degradation if stored below freezing. I had some Advan AD08 tires and the manufacturer specifically recommended they be kept out of freezing temperatures. That said, I always store my tires indoors when they are not on the car (summer or winter tires) in double plastic bags and this seems to help reduce weathering.

Might be best to check the manufacturer recommendations on storage. Many times they are published, if not then you can send them an email or call them.

AD08 are true, R-compound tires, though.
They should definitely be kept above zero.

bjstare
10-14-2021, 07:53 PM
AD08 are true, R-compound tires, though.
They should definitely be kept above zero.

PS Cup2s aren't far off.

ThePenIsMightier
10-14-2021, 08:00 PM
PS Cup2s aren't far off.

They either R or they Rn't

*wins internet
SimpsonsRdrrCalculus.gif

haggis88
10-14-2021, 09:58 PM
https://chickenhawkracing.com/product/standard-model/