PDA

View Full Version : Cordless Snowblower + Lawn mower: Best brand?

Ekliptix
10-18-2021, 11:31 AM
I'm in the market for a battery snowblower and battery lawn mower for my new home in the city.

Some brands in mind are:
Toro
Ego
Other?

Anyone have any experience with these or other brands, when it comes to both the battery mower and snow blower? I'm sure I'll be getting a weed wacker and other accessories eventually yoo.

B.Spilner
10-18-2021, 11:43 AM
I'm running the self propelled Ego mower, and Ego backpack blower and absolutely love them. Both run off my single 5.0amp battery, mower can do our lawn 3-4 times and we have a pretty steep incline on one side of the yard. The backpack blower I can do about 3-5 driveways depending on how heavy the snow is.

Inlaws have a ryobi mower and he loves that too.

No issues from either brands in the last 2 years.

sabad66
10-18-2021, 11:48 AM
I like the Greenworks 80v line of products. Probably too late now but Costco had a package with mower, trimmer, blower, 2 batteries for like $650ish which was a great deal to get started. I have those along with 20” the snow thrower and I’m pretty happy with them for my household needs. Eventually I’d Like to get the chainsaw, hedge trimmer, and cultivator but don’t have immediate need for them at the moment.

schocker
10-18-2021, 11:53 AM
I have ego everything and it is great (Mower, leaf blower, trimmer and multitool). Will be getting the single stage snowblower here soon so I don't have to use my corded one anymore. No issues in 1-2 years so far, get a ton of life out of the 5 ah battery to do trimmer and mower at least a couple times for the whole yard. Not sure how much the snowblower uses but I also have a 7.5 ah as it can take two batteries.

Darell_n
10-18-2021, 12:14 PM
I use an Ego 18” chainsaw with the 5A battery for clearing trails in the bush and it kicks ass. My vote is for Ego.

benyl
10-18-2021, 12:40 PM
I've gone Ego.

Mower, chainsaw, blower and weed wacker (the carbon shaft model... lol). Pricey, but the shit works good.

Ekliptix
10-18-2021, 12:55 PM
For the Ego customers, what models are you using? Brushless, self propelled, etc?

jwslam
10-18-2021, 12:58 PM
I like the Greenworks 80v line of products. Probably too late now but Costco had a package with mower, trimmer, blower, 2 batteries for like $650ish which was a great deal to get started. I have those along with 20” the snow thrower and I’m pretty happy with them for my household needs. Eventually I’d Like to get the chainsaw, hedge trimmer, and cultivator but don’t have immediate need for them at the moment.
I have the Kobalt 80V snowblower...
there's like no compatibility with other tools on the 80V line and availability is next to zero too.

For the $200 I paid on kijiji 2y ago I am very happy but I wouldn't stick to this line/brand at all for future replacement

dirtsniffer
10-18-2021, 01:19 PM
I have greenworks 80v. Costco mower package and then the push snowblower package on sale on their site. Tons of power

sabad66
10-18-2021, 01:52 PM
I have the Kobalt 80V snowblower...
there's like no compatibility with other tools on the 80V line and availability is next to zero too.

For the $200 I paid on kijiji 2y ago I am very happy but I wouldn't stick to this line/brand at all for future replacement

I read somewhere that kobalt is owned by the same conglomerate as greenworks, but they are completely different product lines. I believe There’s some sort of mod you can do to the kobalt 80v batteries to make them work with greenworks tools if you’re wanting to convert.

Greenworks 80v is still very much alive and they come out with new revisions/updates to their models all the time so I disagree with you on future proofing.

Darell_n
10-18-2021, 01:55 PM
Many of the cordless yard tool companies are starting to offer commercial grade tools too, if you want to spend a little more and not fuck around.

2Legit2Quit
10-18-2021, 02:03 PM
Lowes had the greenworks battery and corded snowblowers on sale/clearance the past week or so, I bought this corded version because cheap and I don't care about dealing with a cord - https://www.lowes.ca/product/corded-electric-snow-blowers/greenworks-13-amp-20-in-corded-electric-snow-thrower-900884

Shows there's a couple left around the city at different stores.

benyl
10-18-2021, 02:17 PM
For the Ego customers, what models are you using? Brushless, self propelled, etc?

Blower: LB6000
Chainsaw: CS1600 (If I were to do over again, I would get the 18")
Mower: LM2135SP
Trimmer: ST1520S

I have one 5.0 AH battery (came with the backpack) and a 7.5AH that came with the mower.

I'm not sure that I will get a snowblower. My driveway just got poured this morning and it's only 24' wide. I think I can hand bomb it.

schocker
10-18-2021, 02:35 PM

Ive got 2.5/5/7.5 ah batteries and the slow/fast charger. The kits are the best deals to get a few batteries as the standalone price is $$$
Mower LM2102SP This one is brushed. I don't have a big enough yard to really utilize self propelled but it is nice
Blower LB6000 & LB5300 (LB6500 is better than these though)
Trimmer ST1521S
Multitool head w/ edger and cultivator and I would like to get the brush for the snow

killramos
10-18-2021, 02:35 PM
No heated driveway baller?

Serious question, I wonder if a heated driveway pays out versus paying something to do it.

Ekliptix
10-19-2021, 01:44 PM
I'm sold on the Ego stuff now. The Bristle broom for the multi tool looks amazing for taking snow down to the ground, and leaves, and dethatching, etc.

holden
11-26-2021, 03:34 PM
Heads up for anybody on the Greenworks stuff, https://greenworkstools.ca/ has a sale on almost all their stuff. Bought a 4.0AH 80V battery and power inverter to use all my batteries as backup when the power goes out or for camping.

CLiVE
11-26-2021, 04:21 PM
Inlaws have a ryobi mower and he loves that too.

No issues from either brands in the last 2 years.

FWIW my Ryobi battery completely died and would not hold a charge after the 2nd use. Hopefully not the norm though....

jwslam
11-26-2021, 04:36 PM
FWIW my Ryobi battery completely died and would not hold a charge after the 2nd use. Hopefully not the norm though....
https://applianceanalysts.com/fix-ryobi-battery/
Ryobi's like to go to "sleep mode"

cycosis
11-26-2021, 05:31 PM
Heads up for anybody on the Greenworks stuff, https://greenworkstools.ca/ has a sale on almost all their stuff. Bought a 4.0AH 80V battery and power inverter to use all my batteries as backup when the power goes out or for camping.

Amazing! Bought their 80V snow thrower for $550. Returning the 40v snow joe from amazon asap.

CLiVE
11-26-2021, 05:49 PM
https://applianceanalysts.com/fix-ryobi-battery/
Ryobi's like to go to "sleep mode"

Have tried that thanks. Mine actually shows overcharge and is unresponsive...

HiSpec
11-29-2022, 01:15 PM
I am looking to get an electric snowblower and have narrowed it down to EGO and Toro.
Looking for some feedback on using a steel auger snowblower on the driveway and if it'll beat up the concrete over time. Or if I should just go with a rubber auger.

killramos
11-29-2022, 01:28 PM
It’s the shoes that the blower slides on (adjustable) that scratch things up.

The auger shouldn’t ever touch the ground on a steel blower.

npham
11-29-2022, 10:06 PM
I went all Ego this year. Pretty happy with the snowblower (SNT2110) other than it catching on the sidewalk here and there. Doesn't catch on the aggregate driveway at all but doesn't appear to be scratching things up. Posted these pics in the other thread, but this was the 2nd dump of snow we got this winter.

110232 110233

Yolobimmer
11-29-2022, 10:13 PM
I always saw these things and thought they had to be a joke.

Are they actually good?

Our dual stage honda will throw 3 foot snow drifts 50 feet without breaking a sweat and easily move 75 tons of snow per hour.

Are the cordless toys actually on par yet?

npham
11-29-2022, 10:21 PM
Well if you have 3-foot snow drifts, you need gas. But the stuff we see in the city these single stage snowblowers are good enough. There's a 2 stage Ego that will do 50' but I don't see the point - hire someone if you have that much snow to move that far. I probably could do my driveway and sidewalk 4-5 times before I need to charge the batteries.

mr2mike
11-30-2022, 01:07 PM
I think the issue is they're good until the battery life goes to 50%.
Then everyone tries to Kijiji them like their barely used snow tires.

New battery is 50% of the cost on these things.

That being said, the impact guns that are electric now are pretty awesome.

jwslam
01-27-2023, 05:53 PM
my Kobalt 80V looks like it's on its last legs... can't power through a lot of stuff and it shuts off. Still managed to do 80% of the dw/sidewalk but prob need to upgrade soon.

Pretty locked into the ryobi 40V system (leaf blower / mower) unless there's a better deal otherwise?

Ekliptix
01-28-2023, 12:02 PM
I used my Ego snowblower yesterday, SNT2110, same as the one in the photo in the post up a few. It has 2x 7.5Ah batteries.
About 9" of snow. I did my 4 car driveway using 1/2 the battery capacity. The snow was medium density. If it was heavy, it would have used all the batteries.

I've had a gas blower. They're inexpensive, used, and chuck snow really far. They work great if you have heavy snow, or just a lot to move. I'm happy with my Ego, for my city needs. This winter has been really low-use for snowblowers, so far.

cycosis
01-28-2023, 12:06 PM
How long have you had it? Greenworks makes those (they just change the plastic to blue). I have the 80volt greenworks model. I’ve used maybe 6 times in the last two years due to lack of significant snowfall and it works like new for me.

mr2mike
01-28-2023, 12:32 PM
Battery storage and maintenance is the key.
How are the long term guys doing it?

My Dewalt batteries I bring inside so they don't freeze and charge them up but leave them off the tool.
Maintenance charge every so often when I think of it.

Ekliptix
01-28-2023, 12:39 PM
I've had me ego for about 1 year. The mower and snow blower. I have 3x 7.5ah batteries total. As a wild guess, I've drained and charged each of the batteries 10 times.

For battery maintenance, I don't know what's right. I leave mine on the charging stations. In the heated garage. I presume they're smart chargers, and do some type of battery maintenance.

mr2mike
01-28-2023, 01:01 PM
I'm assuming there's bms electrical in those chargers too.
Old ones definitely not though. Killed batteries all the time leaving on charge in the past.

Ekliptix
01-28-2023, 01:17 PM
From Ego: "Simultaneously charge two EGO batteries of any size. Both ports monitor and control each cell in the battery pack to control temperature for maximum battery life. The active cooling fan system and advanced communication with the battery supports rapid charging without overheating."

Tik-Tok
01-28-2023, 01:53 PM
Battery storage and maintenance is the key.
How are the long term guys doing it?

My Dewalt batteries I bring inside so they don't freeze and charge them up but leave them off the tool.
Maintenance charge every so often when I think of it.

I'm still using my original 4ah Greenworks battery from 2018 (use it year round with mower, trimmer, snowblower etc). I usually leave them detached from tools and throw them on the charger before they completely die. On greenworks there's 3 lights for charge status, so I throw it on when it's at one light. They also live in my heated garage too.

Buster
01-28-2023, 03:22 PM
Snt2125 is on clearance at Lowe's for 899. Crazy deal...I picked one up from sunridge. I also got the snow shovel multi tool set for 299 on clearance.

schocker
02-22-2023, 08:47 AM
Yesterday was about as much snow as the single stage ego can handle so still impressed with it's performance. Wasn't throwing super far when the snow is so light though.

cycosis
02-22-2023, 02:38 PM
The 22" 80V greenworks held up just fine yesterday. Similar symptom of not throwing very far due to light fluffy nature of snow but got the job done in under 20 minutes. Was able to do double driveway, sidewalk and a good chunk of my street frontage on a single 5.0 aH battery with charge to spare.

gpomp
02-22-2023, 02:51 PM
I am pleasantly surprised by how well my builder grade Ego snowblower did this past week. I just have the basic 1 stage with the rubber auger.

TurboMedic
02-22-2023, 03:19 PM
The 22" 80V greenworks held up just fine yesterday. Similar symptom of not throwing very far due to light fluffy nature of snow but got the job done in under 20 minutes. Was able to do double driveway, sidewalk and a good chunk of my street frontage on a single 5.0 aH battery with charge to spare.

Same, did 3 driveways a couple of times the last couple days easily cutting to the height of the deck. Had no trouble throwing snow far. I was even running it on slow mode for a while and it was still chucking. Took more battery than usual, I only have 2Ah batteries and can do 3 driveways and the sidewalk on 1 normally, but took 2 for the heavier snow

dirtsniffer
10-24-2023, 03:10 PM
cheapo 80v greenworks is on sale right now. had mine for 2-3 years, not perfect for sure, but has been worth it. $400 with a battery, or $260 if you just need the tool.
https://greenworkstools.ca/collections/80v/products/80v-20-brushless-snow-thrower-with-battery-and-charger

I'd probably get the 22" if I was buying again, but it isn't on sale and my 20" still works.

killramos
10-24-2023, 03:53 PM
If anyone wants to buy my ariens classic 24 ill entertain offers, hasn't been used in a couple seasons so could probably use some new oil.

Just taking up space as its too much machine for my current property.

I kindof want the EGO powerhead mounted blower, definitely less machine but I think I can live with that.

jwslam
10-24-2023, 04:10 PM
Ego SNT2112 was strong this morning

npham
10-24-2023, 04:12 PM
Like the interchangeable thing with the trimmer, edger, etc. attachments? It wouldn't do much when the snow is this wet. I've got the single stage Ego and it clogged up a few times this morning with how heavy this snow is. Go straight to a 2 stage, or buy mine and let me upgrade lol.

killramos
10-24-2023, 04:29 PM
I have a huge 2 stage. I can’t be bothered to drag it out for the tiny job I have.

bjstare
10-24-2023, 04:53 PM
2 stage is the way.

I wanted to migrate all my lanw/yard care tools from gas to electric, but the snowthrower is what's holding me back. Fucking $3k for a 2 stage Greenworks. Blow me.

dirtsniffer
10-24-2023, 05:46 PM
Costco has it for $2k if that's any less blowable. Come with three 4ah batteries at least.

https://www.costco.ca/greenworks-80v-24''-two-stage-snow-thrower.product.4000104648.html

bjstare
10-24-2023, 06:16 PM
30% less blowable for sure.

spike98
10-25-2023, 07:35 AM
I picked up this guy to replace my 10 year old gas single stage.

https://www.rona.ca/en/product/ego-power-56v-21-in-single-stage-auger-propelled-snow-blower-kit-2-75ah-batteries-560w-dual-port-charger-included-snt2125ap-32165222

Its one of very few single stages these days that will actually make contact with the ground. Its a must for when the wife is impatient and wont wait 10 mins to leave the garage and packs the fresh snow.

I used it for the first time yesterday after the freezing rain we had here in the hat and it was amazing at getting a nice clean surface. I bought the blower without the batteries as i already had a 6ah from my lawnmower (which is also awesome btw) and then added a second battery by purchasing the 725cfm blower. Overall i saved about $300 vs the package and i got the kick ass blower out of the deal.

Ekliptix
10-26-2023, 09:49 AM
^ Nice. I have the same blower, with 2x 7.5 batteries. It's good in the soft snow. I find it is slow going vs a big gas snowblower when the snow gets heavy. Still happy with it overall, as the Ego mower is GREAT.

96integra
10-26-2023, 11:52 AM
Need help deciding between Toro vs Ego. The Ego SNT2125 deal posted Jan was crazy!

Anyone have the Toro? E21 60v with steel auger and 7.5ah battery is $900 (after price match at HD).

But I'm considering going Ego in case I expand to their other products. SNT2101 56v with rubber auger and 2x4ah batteries currently on sale for $799.

jwslam
10-26-2023, 12:58 PM
SNT2101 56v with rubber auger and 2x4ah batteries currently on sale for $799.
FWIW, my SNT2112 with metal auger was the same price w/ same batts last Nov.

spike98
10-27-2023, 08:49 AM
^ Nice. I have the same blower, with 2x 7.5 batteries. It's good in the soft snow. I find it is slow going vs a big gas snowblower when the snow gets heavy. Still happy with it overall, as the Ego mower is GREAT.

I'm worried about this as well. Having lived with a single stage for ever, i find I never really let it get deep enough so I am hoping that habit helps me with the swtich to electric. We will see this season but so far so good.

Side note, the leaf blower is amazing. Its so powerful its actually pretty hard to hold onto. I blew the cm of snow that fell last night off of my whole driveway in a few minutes.

bjstare
10-27-2023, 09:11 AM
The more I look into it, the less I want an electric snowblower. I still think the electric lawn mower/leaf blower/string trimmer/etc are the way to go though. Maybe this spring.

ExtraSlow
10-27-2023, 09:57 AM
For a city yard, electric mower and trimmer are excellent.

mr2mike
10-27-2023, 10:08 AM
The more I look into it, the less I want an electric snowblower. I still think the electric lawn mower/leaf blower/string trimmer/etc are the way to go though. Maybe this spring.

I'm reviewing the Dewalt attachment onto the trimmer body. Apparently other brands fit. Possibly getting a rubber power brush or a standard power brush for the sidewalk.
Debating this over the electric leaf blower they have but undecided still.

Tik-Tok
10-27-2023, 10:46 AM

In 98% of our typical snow, they work great. The wet stuff we have the other 2% of the time, they are lackluster.

Same argument with ICE vs EV, lol.

Xtrema
10-27-2023, 11:00 AM

I'm on those ancient 40V system 6 year now and on a 45' wide lot. It's definitely not as versatile as gas equivalents but it's still ok. 21" turns in 8" for lack of throwing power for the shit we had this week. But not lifting snow is a godsend. Still did 2 driveways with it blowing thorough 2 4ah batteries and 1 2ah batteries.

Tech is much better now. Co-worker just picked this up and raving about it.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi-40v-hp-21-inch-brushless-cordless-battery-snow-blower-kit-with-2-7-5-ah-batteries-and-charger/1001716237

The key is to carefully select the eco system you are being locked into. Now that I have like $1000 (MSRP) worth of batteries for all the tools, it'll take me a while get out of the current 40V system.

bjstare
10-27-2023, 11:50 AM
In 98% of our typical snow, they work great. The wet stuff we have the other 2% of the time, they are lackluster.

Yes. And I'm considering that the fact that the 2% (or maybe 10%?) of the awful snowfall accounts for almost the entire reason I have a snowblower. So moving to a model that is lackluster at performing in the situation that largely spurred the purchase doesn't make a whole ton of sense haha.

nismodrifter
10-27-2023, 11:54 AM
We only get the wet shit out here. So gas is the only way to go? I don't see a point in buying anything underpowered. I live on a corner lot, with a 10 foot wide sidewalk in front x 100+ feet, and standard width sidewalk on the other side. Last year we got 30+cm snow a few times. I'm not moving that stuff by hand this year.

Tik-Tok
10-27-2023, 11:57 AM
We only get the wet shit out here. So gas is the only way to go? I don't see a point in buying anything underpowered. I live on a corner lot, with a 10 foot wide sidewalk in front x 100+ feet, and standard width sidewalk on the other side. Last year we got 30+cm snow a few times. I'm not moving that stuff by hand this year.

Definitely stick to gas. Even though my 80v will toss wet snow out of the way, I wouldn't use it for the stuff you get.

nismodrifter
10-27-2023, 12:21 PM
Then the question is single vs 2 stage. I am thinking it HAS to be 2 stage. In Calgary we had a single stage, it didn't cut it when snow was heavy. Had to get 2 stage which was bulky, and did the job, but damn it was big. Do I really need a massive 2 stage for occasional use here? Arrrrrrrrgh. Can I get nanny to shovel the snow as well?

bjstare
10-27-2023, 12:50 PM
Then the question is single vs 2 stage. I am thinking it HAS to be 2 stage. In Calgary we had a single stage, it didn't cut it when snow was heavy. Had to get 2 stage which was bulky, and did the job, but damn it was big. Do I really need a massive 2 stage for occasional use here? Arrrrrrrrgh. Can I get nanny to shovel the snow as well?

Absolutely zero chance you want less than 2 stage. You don’t necessarily need to get a 30” wide behemoth, but 2 stage with decent size engine would be wise I think.

Shlade
10-27-2023, 01:25 PM
My driveway is probably a solid 40-50ft and just sold my single stage gas blower. I'm in the market for a 2 stage 24" plus one now I refuse to deal with another winter of pushing with tiny little wheels on a single stage. I WANTED to get the EGO but fuck me its way too pricey with the batteries. May as well just get a gas powered one honestly. I'll switch over to an electric lawnmower in the spring though.

killramos
10-27-2023, 01:54 PM
The only thing I am getting from all this is I should just pay someone and not waste my money on equipment.

bjstare
10-27-2023, 03:11 PM
The only thing I am getting from all this is I should just pay someone and not waste my money on equipment.

If you're worried about wasting your money, paying a snow removal company is not the option you want to choose :rofl:

Justing
10-27-2023, 03:22 PM
Money well spent perhaps.

Killy, how much for your ariens? I need to upgrade as I have massive snow blower envy on my new block. It's like a child's toy compared to all the neighbors.

Xtrema
10-27-2023, 04:02 PM

That's the way to go as long as you pay enough to be on top of client list instead of bottom. :D

Shlade
10-27-2023, 04:20 PM

People who dont do this themselves pee sitting down.

killramos
10-27-2023, 05:14 PM
Money well spent perhaps.

Killy, how much for your ariens? I need to upgrade as I have massive snow blower envy on my new block. It's like a child's toy compared to all the neighbors.

$500 it’s all yours

- - - Updated - - -

People who dont do this themselves pee sitting down.

How will I ever live it down…

ExtraSlow
10-27-2023, 05:18 PM
It's difficerent for the people who live in rural locations.

mr2mike
10-27-2023, 05:23 PM
It's difficerent for the people who live in rural locations.

You're not buying a hand push anything if you're truly rural.
Your tractor has a PTO for a reason!

ExtraSlow
10-27-2023, 05:26 PM
You're not buying a hand push anything if you're truly rural.
Your tractor has a PTO for a reason!

This was a shot at schladeh.

bjstare
10-27-2023, 05:36 PM
$500 it’s all yours

Someone needs to buy this. That’s a deal.

mr2mike
10-27-2023, 05:41 PM
Snow Emergency is over.

ExtraSlow
10-27-2023, 06:30 PM
Snow Emergency is over.

Thank gondek

Justing
10-30-2023, 11:09 AM
Someone needs to buy this. That’s a deal.

Picked up on Saturday, thanks again Killy!!

killramos
10-30-2023, 11:13 AM
Glad it’s going to a new home!

96integra
10-30-2023, 11:48 AM
FWIW, my SNT2112 with metal auger was the same price w/ same batts last Nov.

Sweet I actually just picked up the 2112 with 2x5ah at CT for $799 few days ago. They had a bonus point day which earned $130 in CT money too.

npham
10-30-2023, 12:49 PM
That's a solid deal. I think I paid at least that much and no batteries (had them from my other Ego tools).

gpomp
10-30-2023, 01:27 PM
Has anyone compared the Ego snow blower's belt auger to the steel auger? Looks like you can buy the steel auger for $100, wonder if it's worth it to upgrade.