PDA

View Full Version : LSAT Exam - Information Request

BokCh0y
10-19-2021, 01:47 PM
LSAT exam. For those who have written and passed, what do you suggest for prep material and is the Renert prep course worthwhile? I know the exam isn't focused on academic knowledge but rather analytical abilities so it isn't something you can really study for per se.

Can you give me 411 on the written portion and what to expect?

Thanks.

bjstare
10-19-2021, 03:14 PM
You want Kaplan for prep. When I did it, it was worthwhile for sure, plus it was only like $1200 or something which doesn't even register on the law school cost scale. (this was a few years back, cost may/likely will have changed since)

As for the exam, the prep course is very indicative of what you'll run into, although I found the prep exams a little easier than the real thing. You are right that it's about analytical abilities (more or less), but you are wrong about not being able to study for it. It's about your ability to apply analytical problem solving quickly and accurately. The more you practice the quicker you will be able to identify the type of question/how to cut out the wrong answers, etc. All of the content should be easily understandable by someone considering law school; getting through it all efficiently during the exam is the real challenge. Time is your enemy with the LSAT. I didn't get into the school I wanted, so I abandoned the pursuit of a law career, but I got a competitive LSAT score after taking Kaplan and putting ~70% effort into prepping for the exam.

BokCh0y
10-19-2021, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the info cjblair, I really appreciate it.

Career change time for me and though I've contemplated going back to do law for a while now although I did go back and finish a MBA in 2017, I think imma actually gonna do it now.

How long did you study for? I was going to start and try to write in Jan and hopefully get into Dalhousie for September 2022. I'm less than 2 weeks from the Nov deadline for most schools so unless I want to wait to September 2023....

killramos
10-19-2021, 08:28 PM
I’d be very interested to hear what your line of work is that having a previous degree, an MBA, and ultimately a law degree leads to?

Law is a young man’s grind. Articling sounds like literally the worst.

bjstare
10-19-2021, 09:16 PM
I studied for a short while, probably 8 weeks of half assed evening study, half ass weekend study and prep classes before the first time… I wrote twice though, the first time my score was crap, 154 or something. Keep in mind the scores are curved, and the competition is stiff. I met people that prepped for a year; many people approach it as if it is their only option, and that’s a really tough mindset to get into if you’re already a few years into a decent career (which I was).

Idk if id say practising law is exclusively a young man’s game, you have to put in long days/weeks no matter what you’re doing if you wanna get ahead. The hours I work now are comparable to some lawyers I know. It all depends what you want to practise and what kind of company you want to work for. Plenty of lawyers out there that only work 8-5 at in house gigs for oil and gas companies. If you want to grind to make partner at a seven sisters firm or be a litigator (I know people in each of those roles), that work can be miserable.

BokCh0y
10-19-2021, 10:33 PM
I studied for a short while, probably 8 weeks of half assed evening study, half ass weekend study and prep classes before the first time… I wrote twice though, the first time my score was crap, 154 or something. Keep in mind the scores are curved, and the competition is stiff. I met people that prepped for a year; many people approach it as if it is their only option, and that’s a really tough mindset to get into if you’re already a few years into a decent career (which I was).

Idk if id say practising law is exclusively a young man’s game, you have to put in long days/weeks no matter what you’re doing if you wanna get ahead. The hours I work now are comparable to some lawyers I know. It all depends what you want to practise and what kind of company you want to work for. Plenty of lawyers out there that only work 8-5 at in house gigs for oil and gas companies. If you want to grind to make partner at a seven sisters firm or be a litigator (I know people in each of those roles), that work can be miserable.

Ideally, if I was still young as fuck I would've done law from the start and practiced criminal defense specializing in defending asian organized crime only - Yakuza and Triad specifically. But since I don't want my entire family wiped out, I'll practice something else haha. Seriously I'd like to practice employment and human rights law.

ExtraSlow
10-20-2021, 09:20 AM
Having dealt with intellectual property lawyers extensively over the last couple years, I can say that it looks awful. More boring than real engineer, and waaaay more boring than killy's style of "engineering"

suntan
10-22-2021, 01:09 PM
Our corporate lawyer charges $230/hr with a three hour minimum. That offsets the boredom.

In most large companies the lawyers are the highest paid employees. Only execs make more.

killramos
10-22-2021, 01:29 PM
Does it though?

suntan
10-22-2021, 01:47 PM
Well I hear cocaine is a hell of a drug.

ThePenIsMightier
10-22-2021, 11:55 PM
LoL at comparing the lawyer's charge out rate to their compensation. I've paid a student lawyer $300+/hr when the reality is that resource is making $60/hr and I've also seen the invoices for the $850/hr guy. It's not exactly a linear scale.

ExtraSlow
10-23-2021, 07:49 AM
Charge-out rates are disconnected to compensation. Don't be distracted.

killramos
10-23-2021, 08:00 AM
Charge-out rates are disconnected to compensation. Don't be distracted.

People seem to largely be misequating the two

suntan
10-23-2021, 01:50 PM
LoL at comparing the lawyer's charge out rate to their compensation. I've paid a student lawyer $300+/hr when the reality is that resource is making $60/hr and I've also seen the invoices for the $850/hr guy. It's not exactly a linear scale.

Captain Obvious to obviate!

The corporate lawyer at unnamed chemical company in town made over $500K. In 2000. Happy now?

The lowest paid exec made US$999,999.

killramos
10-23-2021, 02:06 PM
Is “over 500k” a lot?

ThePenIsMightier
10-23-2021, 02:08 PM
Captain Obvious to obviate!

The corporate lawyer at unnamed chemical company in town made over $500K. In 2000. Happy now?

The lowest paid exec made US$999,999.

Oh good. I'm so glad to learn that _____ Chemicals has a pay structure of:
$50k-$499k = everyone except the Corp Lawyer
$500k = the Corp Lawyer
$600k = no one
$700k = no one
$800k = no one
$900k = no one
+$999k = Exec's

ExtraSlow
10-23-2021, 02:10 PM
Anyone who earns under $600k is lazy.

suntan
10-23-2021, 02:12 PM
Oh good. I'm so glad to learn that _____ Chemicals has a pay structure of:
$50k-$499k = everyone except the Corp Lawyer
$500k = the Corp Lawyer
$600k = no one
$700k = no one
$800k = no one
$900k = no one
+$999k = Exec's

Ha ha, you wish $50K was the lowest salary.

And they had two corporate lawyers. And some underling lawyers.

Are you surprised at what execs are paid? Check the shareholders' agreement of any of the big companies in town, they are required to show their compensation.

killramos
10-23-2021, 02:15 PM
“Shareholders agreement” eh?

suntan
10-23-2021, 02:17 PM
Everybody knows you need consent to get fucked.

ExtraSlow
10-23-2021, 02:18 PM
I am someone who reads annual reports for fun. Yes that info is available for every public company.

ThePenIsMightier
10-23-2021, 02:20 PM
Ha ha, you wish $50K was the lowest salary.

And they had two corporate lawyers. And some underling lawyers.

Are you surprised at what execs are paid? Check the shareholders' agreement of any of the big companies in town, they are required to show their compensation.

I don't wish anything other than for me to stop reading all of the ridiculous shit you're putting down. What's wrong with you?
Wait - I think this is in my control.

killramos
10-23-2021, 02:20 PM
It’s a key part of every shareholders agreement

suntan
10-23-2021, 02:21 PM
I like the clauses where the execs are entitled to severance no matter the reason for them not working at the company anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't wish anything other than for me to stop reading all of the ridiculous shit you're putting down. What's wrong with you?
Wait - I think this is in my control.

Did I just break your executive compensation virginity?

Buster
10-23-2021, 04:20 PM
Law school and amounting are the same:. Way more interesting if you don't plan to be a lawyer or an accountant long term.

BavarianBeast
10-24-2021, 06:21 PM
Sorry for the stupid question, but could you practice law at your own firm without articling?

I’ve got a lot of crooked family members and would love to see them in jail some day

gqmw
10-25-2021, 10:52 AM
I like the clauses where the execs are entitled to severance no matter the reason for them not working at the company anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Did I just break your executive compensation virginity?

Severance is typically tied to time w/ company or length of their non-solicit/non-compete and to account for the fact that it may take a little bit before they find a new job.

I also think you mean management info circular/proxy statement as opposed to shareholder agreement.

suntan
10-25-2021, 02:51 PM
Whatever, engrish is my second language.

It's been a while since I looked at one since they all say the same thing essentially.

- - - Updated - - -

Law school and amounting are the same:. Way more interesting if you don't plan to be a lawyer or an accountant long term.

I'd love to be an accountant now. So boring, I need that in my life now.

themack89
11-16-2021, 10:25 AM

Haven't you watched Suits or seen The Accountant w/ Ben Affleck?