PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Stabilizer: When To Refill Gas Tank?

Doogals
11-11-2021, 05:02 PM
I filled up the gas tank in my 2012 Jeep Patriot (2.4L) with Shell 91 octane and Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer back in November of last year.

Vehicle has been parked in the driveway since then, until yesterday when I got it serviced and back on the road.

Engine seems to be running normal considering the gas is basically a year old, but I’m wondering how empty I should let the tank get before filling it up.

The 91 octane wouldn’t have any ethanol in it, so I’m not worried about ethanol floating on top of the gas (if there was any moisture in the tank).

Was thinking about driving it until the tank is 1/2 full then filling up with 91 and maybe a fuel system cleaner. Unless it would be better to run the tank completely dry first?

Any thoughts?

ShermanEF9
11-11-2021, 05:11 PM
If its only been about a year I wouldn't worry about it. Modern fuels are much more stable than the older generations.

ExtraSlow
11-11-2021, 05:16 PM
Are you going to drive it regularly now? If so, don't worry about it.

ThePenIsMightier
11-11-2021, 05:41 PM
Agree. Don't give it another thought if you're driving it regularly now. V-Power is also overkill as it's mainly older vehicles that have poor tolerance for ethanol.

killramos
11-11-2021, 05:59 PM
I’ve heard a drive to Edmonton to fill up with gas there will completely fix the problem.

Grab dinner or a hockey game while you are there.

Doogals
11-11-2021, 06:20 PM
Thanks all, I had switched to 91 octane when our vehicles started spending longer periods of time parked in the driveway due to the pandemic.

Any experiences or opinions regarding fuel system cleaner additives?

killramos
11-11-2021, 06:24 PM
Gasoline is a fantastic solvent on its own.

Just drive the vehicle more.

ThePenIsMightier
11-11-2021, 06:38 PM
When it's on sale, I buy STP Multi-Purpose Motor Treatment. I believe it's almost certainly snake oil, but because it's also a fuel stabilizer, that's what I go with.