PDA

View Full Version : Good places you would recommend south of Calgary?

Graham_A_M
11-12-2021, 03:01 PM
Hey everybody, moved to Turner Valley with my other half and I. What are the good places to go that you would recommend? What kind of cuisine are they? Found some good places in and around the vicinity, but curious if you all have any better recommendations. Thanks so incredibly much in advance. She is an amazing cook, but I often like to give her a break. Always open to exploring different cuisines.

ExtraSlow
11-12-2021, 03:18 PM
Fancy beef, Longview steakhouse. Down home shit, chuck wagon grille. Weirdo 50s vibes, marvs soda shoppe.

Brent.ff
11-12-2021, 03:31 PM
Westwood in Black diamond is great plus Eau Claire distillery.

Graham_A_M
11-12-2021, 11:55 PM
^ thank you never eaten at Eau Claire before. Beautiful, thank you, been to the chuckwagon many times, looking for other places. Chuckwagon is fantastic, but they close at three everyday so to find something past that point has been a worry. The black diamond restaurant left a lot to be desired. Probably the most westernized of anything Chinese anywhere near here.

Graham_A_M
11-13-2021, 12:02 AM
Fancy beef, Longview steakhouse. Down home shit, chuck wagon grille. Weirdo 50s vibes, marvs soda shoppe.
Thanks, it's almost impossible to order anything other then a burger at Marv's however. Burgers and hotdogs, and that's about it.

Tik-Tok
11-13-2021, 08:47 AM
I think you're going to have to resign yourself to the fact that living in rural Alberta means driving to a larger town for more than 5 food options. So you can either do the traditional rural thing and drink and drive home from the city, or you just get a hotel room for those occasions.

Graham_A_M
11-13-2021, 04:03 PM
We're used to it. Been here 5 months now.

ExtraSlow
11-13-2021, 04:17 PM
Have you considered cooking for her?

suntan
11-13-2021, 04:54 PM
TractorDash delivers.

killramos
11-13-2021, 05:10 PM
I guess have some solace in the fact that most cities in Canada have a barely passable restaurant scene.

We actually do pretty well in Calgary all things considered.

Turner valley… that’s an uphill battle.

ThePenIsMightier
11-13-2021, 05:30 PM
I thought you/family owned a trillion sections in mega rural... Da fuq you doing in Turner Valley?

ExtraSlow
11-13-2021, 05:50 PM
I thought you/family owned a trillion sections in mega rural... Da fuq you doing in Turner Valley?

He found a tall gal.

killramos
11-13-2021, 06:21 PM

Hiding?

darthVWader
11-23-2021, 12:08 AM
Lil NY bistro in Longview is pretty good.

Anomaly
11-23-2021, 02:21 AM
My wife likes Bistro 1882 in Okotoks...not too far of a drive from Turner Valley

Maxt
12-04-2021, 07:37 PM
Marv's is good, saskatoon sundae is hard to beat. The Black Diamond bar always had good food as well, just don't consume too many beers there if driving, the local cops seem to like hanging out down the street from there. Kaisers Cakery is good, high quality baked goods.
Pre-covid, the sunday brunch buffet at the Diamond Valley restaurant was a ritual for us, I've eaten there for so long, I've seen 3 different owners of the place.
The Turner valley Inn was known for the best pizza in the area, I haven't been there for a while though.
For meat, Longview Jerky has a ton of different cuts and mixed sausages. Longview steak house is good, reservation was a must before covid, not sure now.
Okotoks is mostly all chain stuff now, the good is you know what to expect, the bad, repetitive. The few non chain places, The Duke for wings, Mr.Spud makes good food, but be prepared to pay more than the chain burger shops, still worth it though. My kids like the big sky BBQ pit, I'm always still hungry when we leave. I never was able to find a pizza in Okotoks that I cared for. My kids liked the Chicago deep dish, but it's gone now.
High River, The Hitchin Post for good burgers etc. Golden National for Chinese food.
I fear what happened to Okotoks is starting in Black Diamond and Turner Valley, the chains move in, strangle out the privateers and then everyone complains there is nothing but chain food to eat.

ThePenIsMightier
12-04-2021, 07:57 PM
^More on this excellent review.
Roma in Okotoks is great for an independent as well as 1882. Once a Boston Pizza comes to a place, it's like liver cancer. Fucking white people will flock to that shit stain until the local independents are cut in half.
Wings at The George >>>>>> Duke wings.

I'll try Spud next time I get a chance.