PDA

View Full Version : Cabinets or Flooring first?

prae
12-07-2021, 03:27 PM
In a new build or a full reno, whats your preferred approach; flooring first, or cabinets first?

killramos
12-07-2021, 03:33 PM
As someone who has had measurements for appliances fucked by this and paid restocking fees on brand new fridges, flooring first. No debates about what the available heights will be ( had someone fuck up the thickness of subfloor that ended up going in and my fridge didn’t fit).

I have no other rationale for my choice.

JRSC00LUDE
12-07-2021, 03:35 PM
You don't install flooring ahead of millwork.

edit - I assume you are referring to kitchen cabinets, vanities and the like?

prae
12-07-2021, 03:37 PM
You don't install flooring ahead of millwork.

Depends which trade you ask :drama:

- - - Updated - - -

As someone who has had measurements for appliances fucked by this and paid restocking fees on brand new fridges, flooring first. No debates about what the available heights will be ( had someone fuck up the thickness of subfloor that ended up going in and my fridge didn’t fit).

I have no other rationale for my choice.

been there; we cut the cabinet down and ordered new doors for it; rather than return the fridge. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CarlLester
12-07-2021, 03:37 PM
** deleted response as I misunderstood re: selection v. installation

JRSC00LUDE
12-07-2021, 03:40 PM
I suppose it depends what kind of flooring to some extent but floor before millwork—outside of some commercial applications such as a kitchen—is almost never done in my experience. Also, designers know sweet fuck all about how construction is or should be done (this comment includes more Architects/Engineers than you would think).

cet
12-07-2021, 03:41 PM
I chose flooring first but think it depends more on what flooring you're installing. Floating floors have to be installed after as you don't want cabinets sitting on top of a floating floor. Something that's attached to the subfloor like tile or hardwood I think you can do either one. Positives and negatives to both options in that case.

cyra1ax
12-07-2021, 03:45 PM
Flooring first.
Similarly, paint first or cabinets first?

JRSC00LUDE
12-07-2021, 03:47 PM
FWIW, we did end up doing flooring first.

What kind of flooring?

- - - Updated - - -

Flooring first.
Similarly, paint first or cabinets first?

That can be the wrong answer more often than it's the right one, again depending on what the flooring is of course.

You paint first, then you touch up if/as needed.

Thaco
12-07-2021, 03:59 PM
I did flooring first, it's way easier to floor a square room, and if you decide to make changes in the cabinets down the road you don't have to re-do the entire floor.

prae
12-07-2021, 04:02 PM
I've done it both ways, for the record.

For a basement recently I probably did it the most "industry standard" way which was drywall mud/tape, millwork (cabinetry, baseboards etc), spray lacquer, prime & paint walls, install flooring, touch up paint etc, install hardware.

For our kitchen we painted, laid down finish-in-place oak hardwood, installed cabinetry on top, finished hardwood, then installed kickplates etc. This is probably "wrong" but it has worked out well for us.

JRSC00LUDE if you were doing prefinished hardwood, I'm guessing you'd prefer to build up cabinet bases by 3/4" and run the hardwood just underneath the cabinets, then install kickplates etc?

- - - Updated - - -

if you decide to make changes in the cabinets down the road you don't have to re-do the entire floor.

Yeah this is primarily why I feel like I'd prefer to have my hardwood run underneath my island, at a minimum. Perimeter cabinets, i probably don't care as much, unlikely to change that footprint, ever.

That said, a water leak in our island here definitely manifested in some cupping hardwood that can be felt, if not seen, around the perimeter of the island. Having no hardwood directly underneath the sink might have changed that outcome.

JRSC00LUDE
12-07-2021, 04:06 PM
I've done it both ways, for the record.

For a basement recently I probably did it the most "industry standard" way which was drywall mud/tape, millwork (cabinetry, baseboards etc), spray lacquer, prime & paint walls, install flooring, touch up paint etc, install hardware.

For our kitchen we painted, laid down finish-in-place oak hardwood, installed cabinetry on top, finished hardwood, then installed kickplates etc. This is probably "wrong" but it has worked out well for us.
JRSC00LUDE if you were doing prefinished hardwood, I'm guessing you'd prefer to build up cabinet bases by 3/4" and run the hardwood just underneath the cabinets, then install kickplates etc?

Yes can do that, although actual real 3/4" hardwood isn't so bad to put under cabinets and I like the clean look. I'd think that one's an "either way is ok" product, but no point paying for all the extra material if there is large amount of cabinetry and a budget to consider.

Most people are doing glue down or floating LVP's and the like these days. Funny to see DIY guys wonder why their floor is buckling and popping haha. Ceramic, real hardwood, sheet vinyls all ok if you decide you want to.

edit - i like to edit.

bjstare
12-07-2021, 04:10 PM

This is more or less what we did in the kitchen. Reno was down to the studs. New subfloor -> cabinet bases/boxes -> tile floor -> granite/counters -> millwork (gables, doors, drawers, kickplates, etc all walnut) -> backsplash

Rocket1k78
12-08-2021, 10:53 AM
DIY it would be way easier to floor first but 99% of builders and contractors are not doing floors first. Its a waste of material and the risk of damages to the floor are huge.

bjstare
12-08-2021, 11:09 AM
edit: I was being silly.

88CRX
12-08-2021, 12:46 PM
Cabinets first 100% of the time.

Buy extra flooring when you want to move your island, LOL. Any hardwood under an island is going to look like hell if you move your island in the future due to wear and fading.

killramos
12-08-2021, 12:47 PM
‘member when people used real wood flooring that could be refinished?

suntan
12-08-2021, 12:58 PM
The tiler that did my ensuite was pissed that I made him do the entire floor.

ExtraSlow
12-08-2021, 01:08 PM
Yeah sucks to have fewer cuts, idiot.

suntan
12-08-2021, 01:41 PM
Those invisible tiles are for flexing, idiot.

JRSC00LUDE
12-08-2021, 03:46 PM
‘member when people used real wood flooring that could be refinished?

B.Spilner
12-08-2021, 04:05 PM
Cabinets always first. Flooring is one of the last things you do to help minimize damage.

ExtraSlow
12-08-2021, 04:09 PM
If my flooring is going to get damaged by professional appliance installation, then my kids will sure as hell fuck it up in the first thirty days of ownership.

speedog
12-08-2021, 04:24 PM
I currently install and service cabinets for a living, do mark outs and inspections as well.

General rule of thumb is cabinets before flooring and other finish carpentry. Base cabinets are raised to accommodate flooring plus a sixteenth, after cabinets are done flooring goes in and usually it's cabinet toe and furniture kick installed after so it can be mounted snug to the flooring.

Tile floors will generally see cabinet toe/furniture kick put on first because tiles will be cut to fit around cabinetry.

Are there exceptions, sure there are but it is mostly in the renovation world where customers are keeping an existing floor in place.

Have installed well over 400 kitchens and am currently a cabinetry charge hand on a 347 unit site, all of them are cabinetry first, then flooring, then cabinetry toe kick and last is base boards.

prae
12-08-2021, 11:39 PM
I sincerely appreciate the time that all of you took in sharing your knowledge and experience! Thank you.

Nufy
12-09-2021, 09:24 AM
I just completed an Ikea kitchen cabinet install and did flooring first wall to wall.

Certainly gives you an option if you need to change anything in the future.

Rocket1k78
12-09-2021, 12:15 PM
Yeah sucks to have fewer cuts, idiot.
Not only is his job way easier he'd be making a bit more for the extra footage, idiot is putting it nicely lol

I just completed an Ikea kitchen cabinet install and did flooring first wall to wall.

Certainly gives you an option if you need to change anything in the future.
Valid point on the option to change things later but are you really going to be replacing kitchen cabinets and not the floor later on? if anything most will be redoing the floor way before they go to the extent of new kitchen cabinets

Thaco
12-09-2021, 09:28 PM
Not only is his job way easier he'd be making a bit more for the extra footage, idiot is putting it nicely lol

Valid point on the option to change things later but are you really going to be replacing kitchen cabinets and not the floor later on? if anything most will be redoing the floor way before they go to the extent of new kitchen cabinets

i bought a house where i wanted to renovate the ikea cabinets that were installed in the MBR closet...

and of course the laminate was discontinued, so i had to use a different flooring, fucking pissed me off, made the job 5x harder than it needed to be.

bjstare
12-09-2021, 10:11 PM

Perhaps you missed the part where he said they were ikea cabinets.

Thaco
12-09-2021, 10:46 PM
Perhaps you missed the part where he said they were ikea cabinets.

you've clearly never done Ikea cabinets properly, i did them 5 years ago and they're good as new, for 1/5th the price, i'd do them again without question. I moved in to another place with "kitchencraft" and they felt like just trash, i'd much rather my ikea soft close for a fraction of the price.

ExtraSlow
12-10-2021, 07:25 AM
Ikea cabinets are similar quality to most builder cabinets. Hardware actually better.

bjstare
12-10-2021, 09:23 AM
you've clearly never done Ikea cabinets properly, i did them 5 years ago and they're good as new, for 1/5th the price, i'd do them again without question. I moved in to another place with "kitchencraft" and they felt like just trash, i'd much rather my ikea soft close for a fraction of the price.

I guarantee you I haven't done them "properly", whatever that means. They were in my kitchen when we moved in and were awful.

Comparing one builder-grade cabinet to another is like comparing hyundai to kia.. or another hyundai, I guess.

killramos
12-10-2021, 09:28 AM
The ikea cabinets in my house are complete trash.

Cheap. But trash.

suntan
12-10-2021, 10:23 AM
Interesting! What's been bad about them? I see a lot of people loving them when they're first put in.

Nufy
12-10-2021, 10:24 AM
My wife loves them in the new kitchen...
Thats all In need.

davidI
12-10-2021, 10:51 AM
Interesting! What's been bad about them? I see a lot of people loving them when they're first put in.

Could depend on when they were purchased as well. I'd say Ikea's quality has improved a lot over the last decade...

Tik-Tok
12-10-2021, 11:05 AM

If someone goes from driving a 1986 Hyundai Pony to a 2022 Chevy Spark, they'll probably rave about it too.

JfuckinC
12-10-2021, 11:11 AM
i did ikea in the house i just moved out of, 7 years they were still mint. just have to buy the expensive doors and drawer fronts and they're good quality. Soft close parts were still perfect, handles were nice. no issues.

I tiled the kitchen floor first, ikea cabinets have adjustable feet so it was easy to line up things like the stove and stuff elevation wise. would fully recommend ikea cabinets anyday.

Rocket1k78
12-10-2021, 11:21 AM
i bought a house where i wanted to renovate the ikea cabinets that were installed in the MBR closet...

and of course the laminate was discontinued, so i had to use a different flooring, fucking pissed me off, made the job 5x harder than it needed to be.

Closets are the total opposite to the kitchen, flooring is normally always done first(wall to wall) unless you're doing a full custom unit or it was a DIY special lol