PDA

View Full Version : Quitting Smoking

core_upt
04-03-2004, 02:35 AM
Hey everyone,

So this is it, I am finally ready to quit smoking. I guess today is day 3, but I have had two smokes since I "stopped". I have been smoking for 7 years and am finally sick of wasting my money on smokes, not to mention the health benefits of not smoking. I managed to play a full season of indoor soccer while smoking but now that outdoor is starting in a month or so, I figure I should really kick the habit!

For those of you that used to smoke, how did you quit and what helped/motivated you to do it?? I'm using Nicorette which help a lot, plus drinking lot of water. Any thoughts, opinions, etc???

C4S
04-03-2004, 12:25 PM
GOOD FOR YOU ! :thumbsup:

smoking is silly .. no good for heath .. and look so dumb ! :rofl:

three.eighteen.
04-03-2004, 01:44 PM
heh if you smoke after you quit...you really havent...ive seen way too many friends that after like 3 weeks say "yeah i can have one, i quit" then every time you see them after that theyre just bumming them for the next couple of weeks...eventually they realize they never actually quit...quitting is just that...NEVER having a smoke again...

sti_power
04-03-2004, 02:17 PM
Good for you man keep it up! Smoking is so bad and such a waste of money see the way I look at it the less money you spend on smokes is more money for you car!! Kepp it up!:thumbsup:

ApexDrift
04-04-2004, 12:45 PM
well im trying to kick the habit... ive been smoking for 7 years as well, so far its been bout a month and a bit since ive been trying to quit... its the first week thats hard after that its gets easier and easier... the only time ive had one is at the bar (only one) but other then that ive had no cravings... for myself ive started to buy a lot of gum you know just something to replace the smoking... modivate yourself too, like you play soccer and just get your mind set and tell you self that your endurance/stamina will increase if you quit!... find your self some sort of modivation... but everyones different.

anyways GOOD LUCK BUDDY!:thumbsup:

ApexDrift
04-04-2004, 12:57 PM
one other thing that helpped modivate me is settign aside the money that i would be spending on smokes, dont keep track but and just set it aside and tell yourself that that moneys gunna go to your car or buying something! im like halfway there to buying a new blow off valve for my car, i think its much more better then spending it on smokes

hope everything works out for you!

nickyh
04-15-2004, 12:27 PM
After trying for 3 years I used everything and nothing worked.... got the patch... i've been smoke free since '99.
Try smoking while using the patch - see how crazy your heart rate goes.

GL, it's a bitch to quit.

djfob
04-15-2004, 01:23 PM
I just quit 6 months ago after smoking about half my life and i'm only 23 lol. You have to want to quit or have some sort of motivation. I tried nicorette first but it just ended up being another habit. I think the best way is cold turkey. It's hard but after you get by the first couple days it gets easier but I still get cravings to this day but just not as strong.

dirty_magic
04-15-2004, 01:34 PM
Zyban works really well if you follow their booklet they provide. It also helps motivate you for other things. When I quit, on Zyban, I had no trouble what-so-ever. I swear by it.

sputnik
04-15-2004, 01:52 PM
someone at work quit after 20 years with the help of Zyban... but he also gained about 40 lbs afterwards.

QuasarCav
04-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
someone at work quit after 20 years with the help of Zyban... but he also gained about 40 lbs afterwards.

yeah, thats what i am worried about. I know if there isn't a smoke in my mouth, it'll be food.

Good on you, I have to do this too. Laying in bed at night it just bothers me how much I spend and how bad it is.

$10 x 182.5 = down payment for a real car:thumbsup:

core_upt
04-15-2004, 04:32 PM
well, it's been 12 days and I've had a few slips, mostly while drinking, but day to day it isn't that bad. I'll just take ti one day at a time and soon will be free. It'll be easier once the Prelude is out, then I'll know that I have a reason for saving my cash!

CKY
04-16-2004, 02:20 AM
try chewing nicorette with a piece of normal gum??

core_upt
04-16-2004, 02:36 AM
^^yeah, started doing that. Nicoreyte tastes way better that way!!

Khyron
04-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Just chew normal gum. I quit last June, haven't had one since. Smoked for 12 years or so, half-pack a day.

Smoking supresses the appetite so you will eat more after you stop. I gained about 10-15.

The cravings never go away completely - even after a year, a smoke after dinner would be nice. But having extra money is nicer. I did take a drag off a cigar one night - that was harsh shit. :D

If you do quit, there is no half-assed. No smokes, no drags, nothing. Treat it like being an alchoholic in AA - you can't touch it. It's easier that way.

Khyron

Canadian 2.5RS
04-16-2004, 12:39 PM
i quit two years ago after smoking for 7 years. when it hit $10 i quit cold turkey! you just need to psyche yourself up some how. for me it was to never pay ten bucks for a pack of smokes

it also helped that my fiance quit the same time(teamwork rules but quitting with someone that you want to spend the rest of your life with is hard, i got really bitchy for a while there) and my son asked me to stop (now that one still gives me a lump in my throat, how do you defend smoking to a 4 year old? they just want you to live:( )

another tip would be to stay away from places, and people for that matter, where people smoke. Dont go out drinking because it makes it really hard to say no.

oh and scold anyone that offers you a drag or that intentionally smokes around you whtn they know that you are quiting, i know that it makes you look like an ass but it helped me and your friends shouldnt be dicks and smoke around a quitter.

but believe me when i say that the craving never go away. I STILL have them regularly 2 years after my last puff. and as mentioned earlier after supper is a bitch, especially after Mc Donald's (if you eat that sort of stuff)

good luck and quit cold turkey.

hatetank
04-16-2004, 12:51 PM
I just stopped doing it.

No patches, gum, pills, hypno-tapes, psychologists -- just plain cold turkey.

Oh, but I did stop drinking beer for the first two months -- beer and smokes made a great combo for me.

Now I can get pissed and not crave smokes at all.

Quit smoking, it is killing you.

1badPT
04-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Congrats on making the decision to stop. I stopped smoking May 2002 and thats after 4 years of smoking. And I quit after trying quite a few different methods.

Cold Turkey - Hats off to anyone who can stop this way. Give this a shot, you have nothing to lose, but if its too much try the next method.

Nicotine Gums - I tried them, but I had weened myself down to really light cigarettes before stopping cold turkey. As it turned out, the gums had more nicotine in them than my cigarettes, and chewing them made me dizzy. Plus it tastes like chewing an ashtray. There is a mint flavour, but that's like chewing an ashtray with a hint of mint.

The Patch - This is how I stopped. Its not a sticker that you put on and magically you stop smoking. It just keeps the level of nictoine in your blood constant so the cravings are easier to deal with. What I like about this method is you learn to cope with the cravings and eventually, you don't need the patch anymore. Follow the program they include in the box though because part of the reason why this works is they help you to understand why you smoke, when you smoke and what the triggers are. Knowing that you can predict when you'll have a craving and know how to avoid situations that will give you cravings.

Zyban - magic pill. It takes away your need to smoke. Many people however after they stop taking Zyban go back to smoking (they didn't learn how to deal with the cravings). If none of the other methods work, this one surely will. Perhaps its better to pop a pill than light up 25 cigarettes.

5abi
04-17-2004, 05:00 PM
what would u suggest for some1 whos' b'n smoking 4 6months??

quite cold turkey.............

or can i smoke when i drhink?

BebeAphrodite
04-18-2004, 05:39 AM
good job.. good decision
hang in there! :clap:

core_upt
04-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by 5abi
what would u suggest for some1 whos' b'n smoking 4 6months??

quite cold turkey.............

or can i smoke when i drhink?

man, if you've only been smoking for 6 months, quit cold turkey and don't ever touch the shit again. Don't get in the habbit of smoking when drinking. Just don't do it. Its the only thing in my life that I ever regret.

5abi
04-19-2004, 11:25 AM
i'mma try 4 sure................definatly not fun ne moreeee

R-Audi
04-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Well Justin, I hope this all works out for you, it would be nice to come home not smelling like your smoke! jk

Anyway, best of luck!!

three.eighteen.
04-19-2004, 06:43 PM
cold turkey'd myself a few weeks ago...after meditating on what quitting smoking actually means (never smoking again in your life) i realize that technically you will never have 'accomplished' quitting smoking until you die...because only then will you not have the ability to actually smoke...i dont even know why i did it...just a good decision either way

theken
04-19-2004, 07:04 PM
i quit in january, i didn't find it hard at all, i smoked for 9 years, just stopped cold turkey i guess

l/l/rX
04-19-2004, 08:03 PM
ugh its soo hard to quit. yes i do have weak will power. but its soo hard. all my friends smoke. cant get away from it.
i have such bad smokers hack right now. been smoking for a year and 4 months. i hope i quit soon. before grad maybe?? LOL!
anyways good luck to you guys that are quitting.

Ducati
04-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Kids today are still smoking a lot despite the risks.

I wonder if she also chews Skoal with that thing?