PDA

View Full Version : Convince me to spend money: “new” car edition

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-01-2022, 06:38 PM
So I’m in a situation where I need to either fix my current car or get myself something “new”. I’m leaning towards getting something else but I’m having a hard time making peace with buying something in this Covid car market. First off seeing car prices compared to 2020 and earlier, I keep flip flopping whether the prices might adjust back down any time soon or not, what are other peoples thoughts? Second off is it better to hang onto cash and be fearful of the economy or not? Interest rates seem to be way up on auto loans from their bottom, which sucks as I likely would want to finance something if I changed vehicles.

On the flip side I am debt free, and have been told it’s my time to be selfish before we have a child, so that makes me feel a little bit better about sending it on something. Have been thinking about maybe a second gen CTS-V or something with a V10.

WWBD? Downsize to one car (FRS) and hoard cash, spend a lot of money to fix and upgrade current “daily driver” car, or send it on a spicier ICE car for the next 3 or so years and hope the price of fuel and insurance don’t skyrocket.

gwill
01-01-2022, 06:46 PM
Prices aren't coming down anytime soon. Some new orders on nicer vehicles are already 12 months down the road. If you wait a year in the hopes prices come down your vehicle could be another 12 months away before it's available.

I know most dealers are adding every add on in the book when a car hits their lot so if you pre order at least you'll be in control of all the rust coating or 3m type of upgrades that are cheaper to do elsewhere.

If you don't splurge on yourself often why not treat yourself.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-01-2022, 06:57 PM
Prices aren't coming down anytime soon. Some new orders on nicer vehicles are already 12 months down the road. If you wait a year in the hopes prices come down your vehicle could be another 12 months away before it's available.

I know most dealers are adding every add on in the book when a car hits their lot so if you pre order at least you'll be in control of all the rust coating or 3m type of upgrades that are cheaper to do elsewhere.

If you don't splurge on yourself often why not treat yourself.

I’d be buying used almost certainly but yes I’ve heard a lot about things spiralling out of control for deliveries. I did downsize all my vehicles (C5Z, Duramax, Car Hauler, CTS-V and Mini) in the last year and a half prepping to buy a house (done) get engaged (done) and get married (paid for but not done) so it would be nice to be a bit selfish for a bit.

killramos
01-01-2022, 07:07 PM
I think if there was something you wanted enough to part with your money for your would have done it already.

So my vote is buy nothing until you feel more strongly about what you want.

jutes
01-01-2022, 07:17 PM
Manual bare bones ZL1 with no options, should be finished early summer if you order now. 650hp S/C V8s will be rare in the future in this climate emergency world. Let the plebs plug in their appliances while you roll on 91oct and glorious noises.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-01-2022, 07:19 PM
Manual bare bones ZL1 with no options, should be finished early summer if you order now. 650hp S/C V8s will be rare in the future in this climate emergency world. Let the plebs plug in their appliances while you roll on 91oct and glorious noises.

A little bit more than I can afford, I’d stick to $40 maybe 50k max budget.

spikerS
01-01-2022, 07:32 PM
I am not a big fan of Cadillac, but, the CTS-V Wagon always catches my eye. No idea what the market is like on them right now, so maybe more than you are willing to spend.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-01-2022, 07:45 PM
I am not a big fan of Cadillac, but, the CTS-V Wagon always catches my eye. No idea what the market is like on them right now, so maybe more than you are willing to spend.

Unfortunately they are hard to find and very pricey now, I’d be going for a sedan but I’m also not really set on one, I’m really open to options. I also considered a C6Z (second sports car, probably not needed), Lexus ISF, Golf R, 996.

01-01-2022, 08:14 PM
Invest your cash and make it swell. Don’t be like those bums with fancy new cars and ford trucks and still renting.

Buster
01-01-2022, 08:42 PM
This is my kinda thread.

Make it rain.

Disoblige
01-01-2022, 08:54 PM
Invest your cash and make it swell. Don’t be like those bums with fancy new cars and ford trucks and still renting.
I doubt the crowd here (at least not regular posters) are like that. Those are teenie bopper days.

killramos
01-01-2022, 08:55 PM
I doubt the crowd here (at least not regular posters) are like that. Those are teenie bopper days.

I’m very proud of my house of cards

ExtraSlow
01-01-2022, 09:25 PM
I think if there was something you wanted enough to part with your money for your would have done it already.

You can take this bullshit mature advice and GTFO.

jutes
01-01-2022, 09:48 PM

Ford trucks are fancy now?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-01-2022, 09:55 PM

I think it’s more the fact that nothing really feels like a deal anymore and that’s what’s making me hesitate, but if this is the new norm I can’t do anything about it.

90_Shelby
01-01-2022, 10:06 PM
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2009-cadillac-cts-v-hennessey-manual/1597554860?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

/thread

Make it rain!!!

Edit: No it’s not a Trackhawk

redblack
01-01-2022, 10:10 PM
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2009-cadillac-cts-v-hennessey-manual/1597554860?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

/thread

Make it rain!!!

Yolo
/thread

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2017-dodge-viper-acr-extreme-only-5454-original-kms-clean-carfax/m2932833?undefined

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-01-2022, 10:28 PM

/thread

Make it rain!!!

Edit: No it’s not a Trackhawk

Unfortunately black and those wheels ruin it for me, there’s a silver auto one on Kijiji I’m more interested in.

90_Shelby
01-01-2022, 10:41 PM
Big power and a manual are the pluses on the one above. Stock wheels come up every once and awhile on Kijiji but I hear you on black, it’s a pain in the ass.

The thunder grey one for $45k in Dead Man’s Flats would be my second choice. Clean, stock, a great color and low km.

prae
01-01-2022, 11:03 PM
hell yeah to a CTSV. Miss my '09 auto on the regular. That shit was seriously fun

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-02-2022, 11:28 AM
The reason I like the silver one at Shaw is it appears to have no sunroof.

rage2
01-02-2022, 12:21 PM
I feel like we’re going to see some sticker shock for 2023 msrps. With demand in the US drawing more than Msrp on everything, there’s no way manufacturers are going to leave that on the table.

We’re just lucky that we don’t have draconian dealer laws here that lets dealers get away with big ADMs. Only reason there are ADMs is because manufacturers aren’t jacking up msrp’s every few weeks like Tesla.

Buster
01-02-2022, 12:25 PM
I feel like we’re going to see some sticker shock for 2023 msrps. With demand in the US drawing more than Msrp on everything, there’s no way manufacturers are going to leave that on the table.

We’re just lucky that we don’t have draconian dealer laws here that lets dealers get away with big ADMs. Only reason there are ADMs is because manufacturers aren’t jacking up msrp’s every few weeks like Tesla.

I haven't been watching car sales, but manufacturers must be down huge on unit sales, no?

03ozwhip
01-02-2022, 12:39 PM
Sorry to hijack but this is what I've been going through. I hate to buy a vehicle at surged pricing, but feel like if I don't, it'll get worse next year.

Does a guy bite the bullet and hope it's the right choice? Lol

Buster
01-02-2022, 12:42 PM
Sorry to hijack but this is what I've been going through. I hate to buy a vehicle at surged pricing, but feel like if I don't, it'll get worse next year.

Does a guy bite the bullet and hope it's the right choice? Lol

You only buy a car in this market if the alternative is walking.

killramos
01-02-2022, 12:50 PM
If you need a car buy a car. If you don’t need a car don’t buy a car.

jutes
01-02-2022, 12:57 PM
If you need a car buy a car. If you don’t need a car don’t buy a car.

Yolo. I didn’t want to be in my cripple years to enjoy a low sporty vehicle. All that money in the bank is pointless if you can’t enjoy it while you’re healthy. No ragrets.

msommers
01-02-2022, 01:05 PM
Flip a coin.

Tails you put in the effort to buy something you want in 2022.
Heads you wait until 2024.

Flip the coin and before you look at it, you'll already be wishing for what you hope to see, and then you'll know what to do.

Buster
01-02-2022, 01:10 PM
when we do turn the corner, it will be quick, and values will crash.

ExtraSlow
01-02-2022, 01:12 PM
Unless we are in permaflation.

Really I think people overthink it. Cars are generally poor investments. Buy then when you need them, or when you want one enough not to worry about the value.

Buster
01-02-2022, 01:16 PM
Unless we are in permaflation.

Really I think people overthink it. Cars are generally poor investments. Buy then when you need them, or when you want one enough not to worry about the value.

I dont enjoy burning money.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-02-2022, 01:35 PM
Man I was amping myself up to make a big purchase but now I just feel like I should fix my 335d.

Buster
01-02-2022, 02:21 PM
Man I was amping myself up to make a big purchase but now I just feel like I should fix my 335d.

Delaying gratification can be its own reward

ExtraSlow
01-02-2022, 02:33 PM
Automotive Edging.

90_Shelby
01-02-2022, 03:01 PM

Most of the recommendations to save your money come from guys who are content with driving pedestrian transportation appliances, do you relate with that?

I believe that you are a true car enthusiast, and you value the satisfaction of a fun performance vehicle, punt the 335D and buy the V. You'll be happier in the long run and won't regret the decision.

Life is too short to drive boring cars.

arcticcat522
01-02-2022, 03:16 PM
Is the 335d boring? Never driven the 335d, but 335 with n54 or n55 I wouldn't call boring.

Buster
Most of the recommendations to save your money come from guys who are content with driving pedestrian transportation appliances, do you relate with that?

I believe that you are a true car enthusiast, and you value the satisfaction of a fun performance vehicle, punt the 335D and buy the V. You'll be happier in the long run and won't regret the decision.

Cool car now, or cooler car later is the question.

killramos
Is the 335d boring? Never driven the 335d, but 335 with n54 or n55 I wouldn't call boring.

If it’s not an old ass cts V or a loud Jeep it’s boring.

Everyone knows that

arcticcat522
01-02-2022, 03:20 PM
Truth^^^..

I think you should get an M5. Room for a car seat, v10 and can have some fun. Buy now

90_Shelby
01-02-2022, 03:26 PM
Cool car now, or cooler car later is the question.

Why not both? The joy of performance cars is that they typically hold their value better then the mundane. Sell it in a few years and buy something else.

That CTS V price is actually fairly consistent with a few years ago, a bit inflated but not crazy.

Buster
01-02-2022, 03:29 PM
Why not both? The joy of performance cars is that they typically hold their value better then the mundane. Sell it in a few years and buy something else.

That CTS V price is actually fairly consistent with a few years ago, a bit inflated but not crazy.

OP has expressed that he is resource limited. So applying a limited resource in the most efficient way possible may not involved "why not both" and "buy now". It depends on how aspirational he is with his cars. More aspirational = wait. Less aspirational = buy now.

killramos
01-02-2022, 03:39 PM
As always the answer is don’t be poor

rage2
01-02-2022, 03:41 PM
With the way used car prices have inflated, nothing will hold its value when the inevitable supply catching up to demand happens. Unless msrp goes up 50% next year.

killramos
01-02-2022, 04:06 PM
With the way used car prices have inflated, nothing will hold its value when the inevitable supply catching up to demand happens. Unless msrp goes up 50% next year.

I’m wondering what will happen to all the G63’s selling for 1-200k over MSRP when the music stops.

90_Shelby
01-02-2022, 04:15 PM
OP has expressed that he is resource limited. So applying a limited resource in the most efficient way possible may not involved "why not both" and "buy now". It depends on how aspirational he is with his cars. More aspirational = wait. Less aspirational = buy now.

What's the cost of ownership of a CTS V for 3 years? Neither of us know the answer to this but I would put my money on the V holding value better then the 335D.

I've been fortunate to own a few vehicles that have appreciated in value since I bought them and I'm confident the OP has the eye for a good deal when he sees one. If the cost over 3 years is negligible, buy now. I don't think the price of the V is going to move much over 3 years.

To Rage's post, we're not talking about "used cars" in general, we're talking about specialty performance vehicles which have a very different following of potential buyers versus the mundane. The landscape is changing and there are people who do not want to embrace hybrids and electric vehicles, the peak performance ICE powered vehicles we have now will be the end of an era. I could be wrong, but I believe that the demand for these type of vehicles will continue to increase as will the prices, in the same way muscle cars of the 60's and 70's have.

To Arcticat and Kilramos, I have no idea if a 335D is boring or not, I've never driven one, but I can only assume the OP believes that an "old ass CTS-V" would be more fun, if that's what he's looking to buy. My dig on boring cars was directed at the guys who are commenting, "don't buy", not the OP for his current choice of vehicles. In my opinion, an F-150 or Ridgeline are likely more boring to drive then an old ass 650hp CTS-V or 700hp Jeep, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure those vehicles are very nice and enjoyed by the people who chose to buy them.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-02-2022, 04:38 PM

It’s not boring…when it works which hasn’t been since summer.

I’ve been scaling back and driving boring stuff for the last year in a half to put myself in a good position everywhere else, and now it’s getting to me. I tried the appliance thing and it’s not for me, that’s for my fiancé when she needs it.

Truth^^^..

I think you should get an M5. Room for a car seat, v10 and can have some fun. Buy now

I was thinking about it, but the SMG really isn’t for me and finding an affordable 6 speed E60 M5 is impossible.

I’m only resource limited because I put all my resources into the things that will make life easier down the road for the last two years. I wanted a 997 GT3 but I now realize owning a car that’s worth 2-3x my yearly gross income is both dumb and also not likely to make me any happier, it’s likely to become something I don’t want to drive and stresses me out watching it sit and cost money to own while worrying about devaluing it by enjoying it. I figure something “affordable” to me will bring more joy when I can drive it without worrying about its total value.

03ozwhip
01-02-2022, 04:50 PM
Whats the actual issue with the 335d?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-02-2022, 04:54 PM
Whats the actual issue with the 335d?

The internal wastegate on the large turbo is seizing open.

ExtraSlow
01-02-2022, 04:56 PM
OP sounds like there's nothing he wants bad enough right now.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-02-2022, 04:57 PM

I think it comes down to this, but I’m getting closer to finding something.

I guess my question too is do other people regret not sending it on cars in the past?

killramos
01-02-2022, 05:11 PM

Precisely

Buster
01-02-2022, 05:34 PM
What's the cost of ownership of a CTS V for 3 years? Neither of us know the answer to this but I would put my money on the V holding value better then the 335D.

I've been fortunate to own a few vehicles that have appreciated in value since I bought them and I'm confident the OP has the eye for a good deal when he sees one. If the cost over 3 years is negligible, buy now. I don't think the price of the V is going to move much over 3 years.

To Rage's post, we're not talking about "used cars" in general, we're talking about specialty performance vehicles which have a very different following of potential buyers versus the mundane. The landscape is changing and there are people who do not want to embrace hybrids and electric vehicles, the peak performance ICE powered vehicles we have now will be the end of an era. I could be wrong, but I believe that the demand for these type of vehicles will continue to increase as will the prices, in the same way muscle cars of the 60's and 70's have.

To Arcticat and Kilramos, I have no idea if a 335D is boring or not, I've never driven one, but I can only assume the OP believes that an "old ass CTS-V" would be more fun, if that's what he's looking to buy. My dig on boring cars was directed at the guys who are commenting, "don't buy", not the OP for his current choice of vehicles. In my opinion, an F-150 or Ridgeline are likely more boring to drive then an old ass 650hp CTS-V or 700hp Jeep, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure those vehicles are very nice and enjoyed by the people who chose to buy them.

He's not asking for car advice, he's asking for personal finance advice. Beyond that, he's asking how he should deploy his capital, should he want to. You sound like someone who views time as a more scarce resource than money, but the OP hasn't indicated that.

In fact, the OP has a tingling in his jubblies that he is chasing FOMO right now. I'm telling him it's just fine to not capitulate to FOMO. Driving around in fast cars is fun - I enjoy it. But it's the most fun when it is done in a DGAF way rather than a FOMO way. You're a person that is emotionally invested in your cars, which is up to you. But I would never advise someone to get emotionally invested in cars - as if they are part of your identity or something.

90_Shelby
01-02-2022, 05:37 PM
I think it comes down to this, but I’m getting closer to finding something.

I guess my question too is do other people regret not sending it on cars in the past?

I wish I would have grabbed a manual wagon when I had the chance. The $10k premium seemed like a lot at the time, with that being said, I still live mine despite it being an auto.

When I bought the Jeep I didn’t feel great about the purchase, big chunk of cash and it felt like too much to spend on a vehicle, it was actually the wife that said, shut up and buy it. Once we started driving to Invermere, immediately after the purchase, and the wife started passing multiple cars at a time on 93, that’s when I knew it was a good buy. I was hysterically laughing at the sound and pull of the Jeep. It was a very strange sensation to be in something pulling that hard, considering the size and sitting up so high in a vehicle. I’ve only ever felt that kind of pull in cars previously.

I don’t regret buying any of my current vehicles, each one has it’s own flavour and type of enjoyment from driving them.

Buster
01-02-2022, 05:40 PM

No. But this is a pretty personal thing. Cars are toys for me, nothing more. I don't get any personal validation out of them. I have other things for that - family, work, whatever. So I never feel like I missed out if I don't have a fun car because my life is filled with a lot of other shit. I've missed a couple of driving seasons recently, but I never felt like I was missing out, because driving around in a fast car is a novelty just like any other experience and I have pretty vivid memories of that novelty wearing off sooner than I'd like.

90_Shelby
01-02-2022, 06:55 PM
He's not asking for car advice, he's asking for personal finance advice. Beyond that, he's asking how he should deploy his capital, should he want to. You sound like someone who views time as a more scarce resource than money, but the OP hasn't indicated that.

In fact, the OP has a tingling in his jubblies that he is chasing FOMO right now. I'm telling him it's just fine to not capitulate to FOMO. Driving around in fast cars is fun - I enjoy it. But it's the most fun when it is done in a DGAF way rather than a FOMO way. You're a person that is emotionally invested in your cars, which is up to you. But I would never advise someone to get emotionally invested in cars - as if they are part of your identity or something.

Sorry Buster, you lost me with this post, I'm not sure what you're implying or suggesting. He's debt free, has a budget and he's on a timeline as he's been told by his wife to be selfish before they have a kid. OP's original inquiry is below, I'm clearly in camp, "send it on a spicier ICE car for the next 3 or so years".

I can't comment on the tingling of the OP's jubblies or how you have this information, but this is a big step forward for a guy who won't use a shared toilet. Some sort of New Year's Resolution? New Year, new you!

So I’m in a situation where I need to either fix my current car or get myself something “new”. I’m leaning towards getting something else but I’m having a hard time making peace with buying something in this Covid car market. First off seeing car prices compared to 2020 and earlier, I keep flip flopping whether the prices might adjust back down any time soon or not, what are other peoples thoughts? Second off is it better to hang onto cash and be fearful of the economy or not? Interest rates seem to be way up on auto loans from their bottom, which sucks as I likely would want to finance something if I changed vehicles.

On the flip side I am debt free, and have been told it’s my time to be selfish before we have a child, so that makes me feel a little bit better about sending it on something. Have been thinking about maybe a second gen CTS-V or something with a V10.

WWBD? Downsize to one car (FRS) and hoard cash, spend a lot of money to fix and upgrade current “daily driver” car, or send it on a spicier ICE car for the next 3 or so years and hope the price of fuel and insurance don’t skyrocket.

Buster
01-02-2022, 07:02 PM
Sorry Buster, you lost me with this post, I'm not sure what you're implying or suggesting. He's debt free, has a budget and he's on a timeline as he's been told by his wife to be selfish before they have a kid. OP's original inquiry is below, I'm clearly in camp, "send it on a spicier ICE car for the next 3 or so years".

I can't comment on the tingling of the OP's jubblies or how you have this information, but this is a big step forward for a guy who won't use a shared toilet. Some sort of New Year's Resolution? New Year, new you!

If he's asking for advice, then it sounds to me that he's actually looking for it.

ExtraSlow
01-02-2022, 07:02 PM
I can't comment on the tingling of the OP's jubblies or how you have this information.... my 2022 resolution is to investigate more tingling jubblies.

90_Shelby
01-02-2022, 07:36 PM
If he's asking for advice, then it sounds to me that he's actually looking for it.

“WWBD” What Would Buster Do?

jutes
01-02-2022, 07:52 PM
So hold on, once the kid unit comes, the fun car goes away? I see the real problem here.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-02-2022, 07:52 PM
So hold on, once the kid unit comes, the fun car goes away? I see the real problem here.

No, but we will need to add a family car.

rage2
01-02-2022, 07:56 PM
Don’t get me wrong, if he can find a new one at msrp, do it, probably be able to drive it several years without losing much, if any. Just saying next year guaranteed prices going up for new next year. As for used market, prices are inflated right now, and will go down. This weird supply and demand constraint won’t last forever.

jutes
01-02-2022, 07:57 PM

Sell everything and get X5M.

flipstah
01-02-2022, 09:58 PM
Get a new Defender that landed.

That’s a family car

bjstare
01-02-2022, 10:02 PM

There are plenty of fun cars that are also family cars. The cts-v is a perfect example. Or get a used e63. Or as mentioned an x5m. Jeep srt, ml/gle63, glc43, m5, s7 (if you aren’t scared of the oil starvation), the list goes on.

dirtsniffer
01-02-2022, 10:08 PM
Prices are never coming down. Increases might be slower for the next 5 years, but this is here to stay.

Buster
01-02-2022, 10:11 PM
Prices are never coming down. Increases might be slower for the next 5 years, but this is here to stay.
What makes you say this?

dirtsniffer
01-03-2022, 09:43 AM
Very limited personal experience hahah.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-03-2022, 12:43 PM
There are plenty of fun cars that are also family cars. The cts-v is a perfect example. Or get a used e63. Or as mentioned an x5m. Jeep srt, ml/gle63, glc43, m5, s7 (if you aren’t scared of the oil starvation), the list goes on.

She won’t drive any of those, she’s still a learner and isn’t a car person, the 335d is about the biggest vehicle she is willing to try driving. It’s ok though, she doesn’t want anything special for her vehicle (the family vehicle), she’d be happy with a Corolla or something simple and safe.

ExtraSlow
01-03-2022, 12:51 PM
Corolla is often the correct answer.

jaylo
01-03-2022, 02:37 PM
In these market conditions, if you find a low-interest rate and order / buy at MSRP.

Place a deposit, invest your $50K in the stock market with good dividends and watch your money grow.

If you haven't used your TFSA since 2009 you should have a $75.5K room. Any gains you have there are not taxed.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-03-2022, 03:16 PM
In these market conditions, if you find a low-interest rate and order / buy at MSRP.

Place a deposit, invest your $50K in the stock market with good dividends and watch your money grow.

If you haven't used your TFSA since 2009 you should have a $75.5K room. Any gains you have there are not taxed.

My TFSA is full and my RRSP is also close.

jutes
01-03-2022, 03:27 PM
All things aside it comes down to one thing. Would you be happier with a $50k vehicle in your driveway or that cash sitting in the bank? At what point do you cash out your investments and just enjoy life.

killramos
01-03-2022, 03:28 PM
All things aside it comes down to one thing. Would you be happier with a $50k vehicle in your driveway or that cash sitting in the bank? At what point do you cash out your investments and just enjoy life.

Duh

jaylo
01-03-2022, 03:49 PM
Buying new at MSRP appears to be more sensible as to buying used with (temporary) an inflated price.

This could most likely result in double-dipping in the depreciation of the vehicle when the supply goes back to normal.

I would allocate funds on either:

Registered Pension Plan
USD or CAD margin account

You can't outsmart the bank but you can make your money work for you.

jaylo
01-03-2022, 03:55 PM

A lot of people, in most cases, get tingling in jubblies watching a certain dollar amount sitting in their savings account.

killramos
01-03-2022, 04:06 PM
It’s a good jubblie tingle to know that going to work tomorrow is optional

Darkane
01-03-2022, 10:22 PM
OP, if I recall you’re in the automotive business. Can you get a preferred car for invoice?

If you’re interested in a Ford, sign up for the mustang club of America. It’s like $30/yr, and after 90 days you buy fords with XPlan.

Should save ~5k on a 50k truck for example.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-03-2022, 10:34 PM
OP, if I recall you’re in the automotive business. Can you get a preferred car for invoice?

If you’re interested in a Ford, sign up for the mustang club of America. It’s like $30/yr, and after 90 days you buy fords with XPlan.

Should save ~5k on a 50k truck for example.

Yeah I do but unfortunately in these times I can’t even really get much better than msrp for most things im interested in. I basically got laughed at when I asked about a CT4-V BW allocation.

I did see a CTS-V today but the condition was not great and I didn’t feel any attachment.

Buster
01-03-2022, 10:46 PM
Yeah I do but unfortunately in these times I can’t even really get much better than msrp for most things im interested in. I basically got laughed at when I asked about a CT4-V BW allocation.

I did see a CTS-V today but the condition was not great and I didn’t feel any attachment.

you mean for MSRP, or at all?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-03-2022, 10:53 PM
you mean for MSRP, or at all?

I was told good luck getting one at all.

Buster
01-03-2022, 11:00 PM

It's GM, I'll believe it when I see it. Same with the Z06.

rage2
01-03-2022, 11:52 PM

It's GM, I'll believe it when I see it. Same with the Z06.
I believe it, especially when I’m getting the same message buying a fucking mass produced Sienna lol. If it wasn’t for hookups, I wouldn’t have gotten it at all.

Buster
01-04-2022, 12:02 AM
I believe it, especially when I’m getting the same message buying a fucking mass produced Sienna lol. If it wasn’t for hookups, I wouldn’t have gotten it at all.

I dont mean now. I mean eventually.

killramos
01-04-2022, 08:51 AM
My GM guy said Z06’s are basically getting allocated to historical fleet customers as a thank you.

He was out of the Cadillac game though.

ExtraSlow
01-04-2022, 08:54 AM
Word in the Ford circles is that dealers are declining X-plan, which was always an option although super rare.

bjstare
01-04-2022, 09:05 AM
She won’t drive any of those, she’s still a learner and isn’t a car person, the 335d is about the biggest vehicle she is willing to try driving. It’s ok though, she doesn’t want anything special for her vehicle (the family vehicle), she’d be happy with a Corolla or something simple and safe.

Our definitions of 'family car' are very different. Yours is "compact, cheap car for my wife"; mine is "car that can fit a family of four and a bit of their junk".

flipstah
01-04-2022, 09:15 AM
Our definitions of 'family car' are very different. Yours is "compact, cheap car for my wife"; mine is "car that can fit a family of four and a bit of their junk".

Thule box solves junk in the trunk problem

killramos
01-04-2022, 09:21 AM

Man. Kids have so much junk that won’t come close to fitting in a Thule.

bjstare
01-04-2022, 09:38 AM
Man. Kids have so much junk that won’t come close to fitting in a Thule.

Yes, but you rarely take it all at once. For us, it's typically just one large thing on a given outing (e.g., stroller/wagon); if this is the case, stroller in the trunk more or less fills it, all other junk goes in the Thule. It's less than ideal (imagine your groceries all bouncing around in the roof box), but it's a somewhat feasible solution nonetheless.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-04-2022, 09:45 AM

That’s her definition, although I know she wants a Macan if we were wealthy. I grew up in a EF Honda Civic with my parents, I’m used to packing lightly.

killramos
01-04-2022, 10:07 AM
Yes, but you rarely take it all at once. For us, it's typically just one large thing on a given outing (e.g., stroller/wagon); if this is the case, stroller in the trunk more or less fills it, all other junk goes in the Thule. It's less than ideal (imagine your groceries all bouncing around in the roof box), but it's a somewhat feasible solution nonetheless.

The X5 trunk size is so excellent hahaha

I’d get a Thule if I ever started skiing again though.

jutes
01-04-2022, 10:19 AM

Then junk freezes in the box?

dirtsniffer
01-04-2022, 10:22 AM
rear facing car seat in the corolla is funny.. getting the wife to put the stroller in the thule... that's really funny.

There's a reason practically every mom now drives a cross over. If you are thinking kids are in the future you may as well prepare with the proper baby mover now.

Hallowed_point
01-04-2022, 10:24 AM

Hate to say it but agreed.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-04-2022, 10:27 AM
rear facing car seat in the corolla is funny.. getting the wife to put the stroller in the thule... that's really funny.

There's a reason practically every mom now drives a cross over. If you are thinking kids are in the future you may as well prepare with the proper baby mover now.

Her sister literally does this with ~2009 Corolla without issues currently. She tried driving my 4Runner and was too scared of the size and corners of it being hard to see, I tried to get her to drive a Colorado and she was terrified of the size.

bjstare
01-04-2022, 10:36 AM
[...] was too scared of the size [...] and she was terrified of the size.

flipstah
01-04-2022, 10:38 AM
Then junk freezes in the box?

Winning solution: don't have kids?

killramos
01-04-2022, 10:41 AM
Winning solution: don't have kids?

Correct

flipstah
01-04-2022, 10:43 AM
Her sister literally does this with ~2009 Corolla without issues currently. She tried driving my 4Runner and was too scared of the size and corners of it being hard to see, I tried to get her to drive a Colorado and she was terrified of the size.

The Corolla hatch is pretty nice. Slightly smaller than a Golf but comfortable.

Engine choice sucks ass but if you don't want to pay the VAG tax, it's a good option. Otherwise GTIFTW

ExtraSlow
01-04-2022, 10:45 AM
Odyssey has been wicked for this.