PDA

View Full Version : Alberta moves to eliminate traffic court

Pages : [1] 2

BerserkerCatSplat
12-01-2021, 02:26 PM
https://www.cfweradio.ca/news/alberta-news/alberta-to-tighten-rules-on-photo-radar/

TL;DR:

Changes will start in April 2022 to enhance accountability and transparency, ensuring that photo radar technology is used primarily for traffic safety, not for revenue.

Changes coming into effect in 2022 that will help everyday Albertans include:

- restrictions on photo radar use in transition zones and on residential roads with less than 50 km/h speed limits (restrictions do not apply to school, playground, or construction zones)
- eliminating double ticketing within five minutes
- mandating all photo radar enforcement vehicles be clearly visible
- requiring rationale and data for sites to justify the use of photo radar

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop but I'm cautiously optimistic. I haven't been gotten by photo radar in years but these seem like good moves.

cyra1ax
12-01-2021, 02:33 PM
I'm hopeful, but for some reason I've got a feeling the monkey's paw is going to curl and we're going to see alot more laser traps in those areas instead.

spike98
12-01-2021, 02:53 PM
https://www.cfweradio.ca/news/alberta-news/alberta-to-tighten-rules-on-photo-radar/

TL;DR:

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop but I'm cautiously optimistic. I haven't been gotten by photo radar in years but these seem like good moves.

Did they not try this already a few years back but it was left to a municipal level? I suppose this is now a provincial mandate but i honestly dont see things changing at all. In my city, we have approved locations and the radar technicians follow those locations maybe 50% of the time

flipstah
12-01-2021, 03:04 PM
Once I see them in Crowchild and Glenmore near then Pannenkeok Haus, then this is obv a lie.

dirtsniffer
12-01-2021, 03:04 PM
unrelated, but whoever dropped the speed limit on barlow and 114th to 60 from 70 can go straight to hell. what a fucking cash grab.

not unrelated. it's awesome they can't use the cash grab spot on crowchild north just as you come off glenmore west. drop the speed limit for no reason and provide some sweet cover for a photo radar truck.

ThePenIsMightier
12-01-2021, 03:07 PM
We can thank that BRUTAL mayor they had in Edmonton for so long named Iveson. He somehow had photo radar cranked down to issuing tickets for like 6-over the limit. It was insanity! They made millions until people just gave up and drove slow as balls everywhere and their revenue completely dried up.
Whyte Avenue had 2-3 vehicles set up between 83 St and 109 St and they used some bullshit "Dragoneye" laser that was undetectable and I don't think it could even be jammed. Plus the operators had handheld cameras they were using out of parked Toyota's (Prius LoL) and they were fuckin EVERYWHERE.

It was 1984 in that place.

Tik-Tok
12-01-2021, 03:10 PM

They're still living like it's 1987 though.

D'z Nutz
12-01-2021, 03:17 PM

TL;DR:

How about getting rid of photo radar at marked construction zones when there's NO WORKERS AND NO EQUIPMENT? You can't tell me that's not a cash grab when it's doubled fines and nobody's around except the photo radar car in the middle of the night.

J-D
12-01-2021, 03:18 PM
Plot twist: CPS is going to have to make up the revenues with officer written tickets and we're all going to get insurance increases when we get pinched :guns:

dj_rice
12-01-2021, 03:23 PM
In Edmonton, I love when they're on bridge overpasses shooting at the highway aka Anthony Henday. All for safety at the Henday

jwslam
12-01-2021, 03:34 PM
They're still living like it's 1987 though.
Well that way they can live in denial of the Flames' single cup.

rage2
12-01-2021, 03:42 PM
We can thank that BRUTAL mayor they had in Edmonton for so long named Iveson. He somehow had photo radar cranked down to issuing tickets for like 6-over the limit. It was insanity! They made millions until people just gave up and drove slow as balls everywhere and their revenue completely dried up.
Whyte Avenue had 2-3 vehicles set up between 83 St and 109 St and they used some bullshit "Dragoneye" laser that was undetectable and I don't think it could even be jammed. Plus the operators had handheld cameras they were using out of parked Toyota's (Prius LoL) and they were fuckin EVERYWHERE.

This haha. I hate driving in Edmonton. Driving on henday at 100 is just fucked up.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-01-2021, 03:44 PM
How about getting rid of photo radar at marked construction zones when there's NO WORKERS AND NO EQUIPMENT? You can't tell me that's not a cash grab when it's doubled fines and nobody's around except the photo radar car in the middle of the night.

100% this, absolute bullshit. Construction limits should only be for when workers are present.

Tik-Tok
12-01-2021, 04:08 PM
100% this, absolute bullshit. Construction limits should only be for when workers are present.

Should be a flashing speed sign when workers present, and a fine to the company if left on when no workers are present.

ExtraSlow
12-01-2021, 04:14 PM
Should be a flashing speed sign when workers present, and a fine to the company if left on when no workers are present.

We should have a police officer or sheriff on location at all times when work is happening, and that officer can spend all day ticketing and ensuring safety while workers are present. The fines from traffic infractions in an active work zone should pay for the officers time, and once the workers leave, the officer will be released. Win-win-win. More employment, more safety, more everything.

Swank
12-01-2021, 04:33 PM
- eliminating double ticketing within five minutes

When I see the flash it'll be 4:59 of WOT, I'm getting my money's worth!

mr2mike
12-01-2021, 04:53 PM
I'm in for once a month a day like The Purge:Racer Series.
No limits. Keep your kids inside.

Get some of the 30km/h "but I wanted to turn there and there's a few more feet of painted island, I can make it" jackholes off these roads.

Thaco
12-01-2021, 05:46 PM
all visible photo radar does is cause idiots to ham their brakes and do 10 under for 100ft and then speed away again

max_boost
12-01-2021, 05:54 PM
Excellent news

spikerS
12-01-2021, 06:08 PM
I'm hopeful, but for some reason I've got a feeling the monkey's paw is going to curl and we're going to see alot more laser traps in those areas instead.

As it should be. With how lax policing has gotten, there are a lot of vehicles I see on the road with obvious fake plates, one was even just a black and white print out... I have also been seeing a few modified plates where people have painted numbers to make them look like a different digit. Photo Radar isn't catching these people. The list goes on, but, I for one, want to see more police enforcing traffic laws and the complete elimination of photo radar.

According to 660 news when I was driving this afternoon, that is exactly what is happening. It can't be used in construction zones when workers are NOT present. Same thing for school zones, photo radar can ONLY be used when school is actually in session.

It's a start. I want the complete elimination of photo radar, 100%.

killramos
12-01-2021, 06:34 PM
Alberta still has school zones?

firebane
12-01-2021, 06:54 PM
Alberta still has school zones?

Yes its only fucktard Calgary who converted them to playground zones.

mr2mike
12-01-2021, 07:35 PM
Yes its only fucktard Calgary who converted them to playground zones.

Thinking of the kids as always. They're the future Jyoti voters.

ThePenIsMightier
12-01-2021, 07:36 PM
Thinking of the kids as always. They're the future Jyoti voters.

They all gon die! Due to the cLiMaTe EmErGeNcY!11!1!

D'z Nutz
12-01-2021, 09:27 PM

I also feel that construction companies should be fined when they leave the "left/right lane closed ahead" signs up when they aren't, but that's a different discussion.

We should have a police officer or sheriff on location at all times when work is happening, and that officer can spend all day ticketing and ensuring safety while workers are present. The fines from traffic infractions in an active work zone should pay for the officers time, and once the workers leave, the officer will be released. Win-win-win. More employment, more safety, more everything.

I'd be 100% okay with that. Hell, triple the fines. I don't care. I don't speed through construction zones when there are workers present, but I think it's ridiculous to expect me to drive 30km/h when nobody is around.

suntan
12-02-2021, 11:53 AM
There already is a law saying that construction speed slowdowns are only in effect when workers are present.

Signs are also supposed to be removed. That's a city bylaw I think though. Yeah that causes mega havoc sometimes. Call 311 if you see them, they are indeed supposed to be fined.

CPS speed trap vehicles always have hazards on now. There's even one that's covered in yellow that they use in communities.

Doesn't seem to matter, I see them on Crowchild and there's always some dipshit that zooms right by.

Hell I was on southbound Glenmore, I saw it a mile away and the two cars in front of me got the flash.

16hypen3sp
12-02-2021, 12:07 PM
There's more to the construction law. As a driver of QEII many times per week, I've witnessed it play out a lot.

I believe the law states that the construction signs need to be removed/covered and traffic drives normally if there are no workers present OR if the ongoing construction activities do not pose a risk to drivers.

As such, what happens is, the constructions signs remain enforced even when no workers are present because of a whole host of "activities" remaining a risk.... like a lane milled out, loose chips on the road surface, sharp shoulders, construction equipment close to shoulder, etc, etc. As I said, seen this many many times.

What really bothers me is when there is no "End of Construction" sign placed anywhere downstream.

suntan
12-02-2021, 12:15 PM
You mean I can't just ignore the "right lane closed" sign?

16hypen3sp
12-02-2021, 12:28 PM

If there's no delineators blocking it you should be able to drive there without issue, but you have to be able to see that it's not blocked off up ahead. Of course this causes a mess upstream when faced with a lane closed sign, you then anticipate it's closed when it actually is open.

In my experience on QEII, the lane will still be blocked off, speed limit is 80kph even if there are no workers present because some fucking idiot foreman has deemed something a "risk" to passing drivers. I have family that work road construction and their opinion on this law is that it's a useless law because their foreman always has something as a "risk" because they don't want the liability of a crash taking place and not having their ducks in row.

cyra1ax
12-02-2021, 12:31 PM

There's one that needs to be ignored on QE2 SB through Airdrie where they're doing overpass construction. Says right lane closed but it really means the shoulder, not a traffic lane.

suntan
12-02-2021, 12:36 PM
All I know is that the speed limit for the construction on Stoney near 14th is 100 when they don't do stuff, and 80 when they do.

flipstah
12-02-2021, 12:55 PM
As it should be. With how lax policing has gotten, there are a lot of vehicles I see on the road with obvious fake plates, one was even just a black and white print out... I have also been seeing a few modified plates where people have painted numbers to make them look like a different digit. Photo Radar isn't catching these people. The list goes on, but, I for one, want to see more police enforcing traffic laws and the complete elimination of photo radar.

According to 660 news when I was driving this afternoon, that is exactly what is happening. It can't be used in construction zones when workers are NOT present. Same thing for school zones, photo radar can ONLY be used when school is actually in session.

It's a start. I want the complete elimination of photo radar, 100%.

That means they’ll have to put up and take down signage everyday. Doubt they’ll sign up for that extra labor but hopefully it’s true!

Tik-Tok
12-02-2021, 01:02 PM
There already is a law saying that construction speed slowdowns are only in effect when workers are present.

Except you never know when one is actually present. It's not like they work 9-5

suntan
12-02-2021, 01:04 PM
That means they’ll have to put up and take down signage everyday. Doubt they’ll sign up for that extra labor but hopefully it’s true!

Except you never know when one is actually present. It's not like they work 9-5

Am I like the only person on Beyond that still drives? When they're present, they cover the 100 signs with 80 signs. And when they're not, the 100 signs are shown. Except when they fuck it up like on Crowchild, where the 80 sign is partially covered.

firebane
12-02-2021, 01:10 PM

Signs are also supposed to be removed. That's a city bylaw I think though. Yeah that causes mega havoc sometimes. Call 311 if you see them, they are indeed supposed to be fined.

CPS speed trap vehicles always have hazards on now. There's even one that's covered in yellow that they use in communities.

Doesn't seem to matter, I see them on Crowchild and there's always some dipshit that zooms right by.

Hell I was on southbound Glenmore, I saw it a mile away and the two cars in front of me got the flash.

Go east on Glenmore towards Langdon and you'll run into two really fucking annoying construction sites that at 6am in the morning NOBODY is around and there is no hazard to human beings or vehicles.

One zone drops from 100 to 50 and another zone drops from 100 to 80

Both zones are very close to one another and EVERYONE has been ignoring the speed changes lately.

Tik-Tok
12-02-2021, 01:19 PM
Am I like the only person on Beyond that still drives? When they're present, they cover the 100 signs with 80 signs. And when they're not, the 100 signs are shown. Except when they fuck it up like on Crowchild, where the 80 sign is partially covered.

Have you driven QEII? 80km/h signs are up 24/7

suntan
12-02-2021, 01:29 PM
What the hell are you guys doing in the NE? :rofl:

D'z Nutz
12-02-2021, 02:07 PM

There's more to the construction law. As a driver of QEII many times per week, I've witnessed it play out a lot.

I believe the law states that the construction signs need to be removed/covered and traffic drives normally if there are no workers present OR if the ongoing construction activities do not pose a risk to drivers.

Hmm.... I didn't know that. That's good to know.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4851874/mason-rules-construction-zones-alberta-highways-speed/

CPS speed trap vehicles always have hazards on now.

No they don't, at least I didn't find anything that says they need to have it on. Only that they put it on for their safety at their discretion.

The black SUV on the right is always on Barlow generating revenue safetying it up. I've never seen its hazards on.
T3LUvlal4xY

suntan
12-02-2021, 02:37 PM
Interesting. What's the speed limit there? I passed by one on Stoney on Tuesday night, hazards on. The one on Glenmore also had its hazards on.

Or maybe it's because it's the dirty NE.

D'z Nutz
12-02-2021, 11:10 PM
It used to be 70km/h, but was lowered to 50km/h for road construction. There's no more construction (or construction signs), but the 50km/h signs are still up.

This post is a few years old, but it's the most recent thing I can find that addresses photo radar and hazard lights.

suntan
12-03-2021, 10:09 AM
Ah, them having the lights off at 50 makes sense.

I drive 50 in 50 zones, esp. construction zones. I've had two occasions where a worker decided that jumping over the barrier and walking in front of my car was a-ok.

Maxt
12-04-2021, 06:45 PM
Cps says it's pretty much already complying with the provinces rules.
Do they not consider these as speed transition zones?
Barlow South at 114th ave
16thave at 68 st ne
Blackfoot eastbound at Ogden road
Crowchild north of Glenmore

Any more?

ExtraSlow
12-04-2021, 07:57 PM
Who's to say what a just transition even looks like?

ThePenIsMightier
12-04-2021, 08:10 PM
I've been saying it since photo radar in BC was in GMC Safaris on the side of the highway with a pylon and flashers on.
They can put that shit on any street they want, all day, every day and I don't give a squirt of fuck. They should mail a Distracted Driving ticket along with the speeding ticket if you're terrible enough at driving to get a speeding ticket from something so blatantly obvious.

Hiding photo radar in a transition zone with no significant accident history is AIDS.

bjstare
12-05-2021, 09:16 AM
I've been saying it since photo radar in BC was in GMC Safaris on the side of the highway with a pylon and flashers on.
They can put that shit on any street they want, all day, every day and I don't give a squirt of fuck. They should mail a Distracted Driving ticket along with the speeding ticket if you're terrible enough at driving to get a speeding ticket from something so blatantly obvious.

Hiding photo radar in a transition zone with no significant accident history is AIDS.

I'm pretty much in this camp as well.

Anyone who thinks these new "rules" are going to change our driving experience for the better is delusional pretty optimistic. They're still going to have to get all that $$ from somewhere.

suntan
12-06-2021, 10:53 AM
16thave at 68 st ne
Blackfoot eastbound at Ogden road
Crowchild north of Glenmore

Any more?

CPS will never admit wrongful activity in public.

Not sure what you expected.

There will be some changes, probably nothing too material in Calgary. This more affects places in Alberta where you're going 100 and then it's suddenly 50.

Tik-Tok
12-06-2021, 12:02 PM
. This more affects places in Alberta where you're going 100 and then it's suddenly 50.

Except they'll still be able to use them there, lol.

- restrictions on photo radar use in transition zones and on residential roads with less than 50 km/h speed limits (restrictions do not apply to school, playground, or construction zones)

Pauly Boy
12-07-2021, 10:46 AM
I'm all for clearly marked. If it was ever about safety they'd have painted them reflective yellow in the first place and made it obvious to get people to slow down before. Not let them rip by and mail them a ticket 2 weeks later that has zero consequences outside the monetary fine.

Maxt
12-07-2021, 11:08 AM
Memorial Drive at Edmonton trail.
For the camera on the ramp of deerfoot North to 16th ave interchange, what is the actual speed limit there?

max_boost
12-07-2021, 11:32 AM
When In doubt always 50 lol

D'z Nutz
12-13-2021, 12:46 AM
Westbound on Memorial, just after 14th Street. I probably see these guys every other week, again never with hazard lights.

99TnzDq338w

dirtsniffer
12-13-2021, 10:48 AM

I just plead not guilty to a 79 in a 60 zone here. Will report back on this plan once the trial is scheduled. The website is very clear they don't negotiate photo tickets anymore. Guess I will waste $170 in the courts time instead. Will try to negotiate a 9 over ticket on the day of.

fight every ticket

suntan
12-13-2021, 01:38 PM
Westbound on Memorial, just after 14th Street. I probably see these guys every other week, again never with hazard lights.

99TnzDq338w

Ha ha, yeah, I saw them there too a few days ago as well. No hazards.

I guess them turning their lights on is hap...hazard.

Homerrca
12-13-2021, 02:58 PM
The places where I know there is photo radar or speed on green cameras, I will let go the gas a bit to get down to just over the speed limit, drive past and proceed back to the speed everyone is doing, I try not to slam on my brakes but have had a few do that and almost stop. For the most part, it's pretty easy to figure out the photo radar vehicles but I am waiting for them to start to buy older vehicles for their enforcement... You know safety

killramos
12-13-2021, 03:37 PM
Ha ha, yeah, I saw them there too a few days ago as well. No hazards.

I guess them turning their lights on is hap...hazard.

Parking in the wrong side of the street is cool tho right?

rage2
12-13-2021, 03:49 PM
The places where I know there is photo radar or speed on green cameras, I will let go the gas a bit to get down to just over the speed limit, drive past and proceed back to the speed everyone is doing, I try not to slam on my brakes but have had a few do that and almost stop. For the most part, it's pretty easy to figure out the photo radar vehicles but I am waiting for them to start to buy older vehicles for their enforcement... You know safety
Ever since they started dinging for less than 10 over, I’ve slowed down below the limit, you know in case my Speedo is off from aftermarket tires. If they DGAF about safety, neither will I.

Misterman
12-13-2021, 09:29 PM

The giant "fuck you" to Edmonton is great though. Edmonton lowers it's speed limits to 40km/h for the express purpose of jacking up PR revenue again, only to be told by the Province as soon as they change the signs, that they can't run PR in zones below 50km/h. That's gold Jerry! Gold!!

How about just not labelling it a construction zone at all when both lanes are unaffected and there's 3 million jersey barriers in place preventing even the most determined suicide trucker from killing a construction worker??

Once you factor the damage and injury from all the extra accidents though, is it still a win-win?

max_boost
12-14-2021, 12:36 PM
Ever since they started dinging for less than 10 over, I’ve slowed down below the limit, you know in case my Speedo is off from aftermarket tires. If they DGAF about safety, neither will I.

Fk that's insane.

D'z Nutz
01-05-2022, 10:13 PM
Nobody should be surprised. Now that photo radar can't be depended on as a cash cow safety measure, they've come up with other ways to generate revenue safen up roads.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/province-to-e-ticket-speeders-drop-traffic-court-and-charge-fee-for-fine-challenges

In a major overhaul in how driving violations are processed in Alberta, traffic court will be eliminated, tickets will be emailed and disputing those fines will cost up to $150, according to government documents.

And critics including a former police officer and defender of accused motorists are calling the move an “outrageous” run around due process.

The province is quietly implementing the changes that are to take effect Feb. 1 as part of an effort to streamline a backlogged court system and free up police resources by quickly moving two million traffic tickets through the system each year.

It also reduces the time motorists can decide to contest tickets from several weeks to seven days, and replaces traffic court with an adjudicator, with decisions rendered in 30 days in a process conducted online or over the phone.

Shlade
01-06-2022, 06:16 AM
This isnt just photo radar its for every traffic fine starting Feb1.

Everything is going towards a pay scale too. No more 51 plus over mandatory court charges just gonna be dinged a big ole fine.

bjstare
01-06-2022, 09:19 AM
Everything is going towards a pay scale too. No more 51 plus over mandatory court charges just gonna be dinged a big ole fine.

Wow, so perhaps a tiny little positive outcome in this shit show.

FraserB
01-06-2022, 09:29 AM
Wow, so perhaps a tiny little positive outcome in this shit show.

Not even close to anything positive. They are basically introducing a mandatory fee to contest any ticket, traffic at first and then everything else.

They're cutting the length of time to challenge a ticket to 7 days and everything will go to an adjudicator, so it won't see the inside of a courtroom. Even before that happens, you will need to pay them a non-refundable fee of $50 or $150 to even get your "hearing", the adjudicator will render their decision online or on the phone. There will be no trial and even if it turns out you're innocent, you still pay for the privilege of paying to prove it.

Then, once they successfully roll that portion out, phase 3 comes along and it applies to any regulated area governed by the province, and applies to any administrative penalty, not just fines. Driving prohibition, that's now up to a bureaucrat. Cancelling your hunting license, government bureaucrat. Requirement to attend traffic school or install an interlock device, government bureaucrat.

None of this benefits anyone other than the police, whom I'm sure won't abuse this at all.

killramos
01-06-2022, 09:34 AM
I like the idea of a fee to dispute a ticket, but it should be refundable if you win, and it should be before a judge. Basically I think if you lose in court you should have to pay for the courts time in addition to your fine.

I don’t really understand how they can legislate away due process when charged with an offence which is the biggest concern here.

bjstare
01-06-2022, 10:01 AM
Not even close to anything positive. They are basically introducing a mandatory fee to contest any ticket, traffic at first and then everything else.

They're cutting the length of time to challenge a ticket to 7 days and everything will go to an adjudicator, so it won't see the inside of a courtroom. Even before that happens, you will need to pay them a non-refundable fee of $50 or $150 to even get your "hearing", the adjudicator will render their decision online or on the phone. There will be no trial and even if it turns out you're innocent, you still pay for the privilege of paying to prove it.

Then, once they successfully roll that portion out, phase 3 comes along and it applies to any regulated area governed by the province, and applies to any administrative penalty, not just fines. Driving prohibition, that's now up to a bureaucrat. Cancelling your hunting license, government bureaucrat. Requirement to attend traffic school or install an interlock device, government bureaucrat.

None of this benefits anyone other than the police, whom I'm sure won't abuse this at all.

Yes, I can read. Look at what I quoted.

I agree that everything listed in your post sucks for us. I was saying the positive nugget in that big heap of stuff is that for ridiculous speeding (>50 over), you don't have to go to court, you just get a big fine. Not that I exceed the speed limit by that much very often, but it's nice to know I wouldn't have to go to a mandatory court appearance.

FraserB
01-06-2022, 10:04 AM

I agree that everything listed in your post sucks for us. I was saying the positive nugget in that big heap of stuff is that for ridiculous speeding (>50 over), you don't have to go to court, you just get a big fine. Not that I exceed the speed limit by that much very often, but it's nice to know I wouldn't have to go to a mandatory court appearance.

The cop will tell you roadside that you're receiving an administrative penalty of fine and/or suspension. You then pay your fee to have an adjudicator make a ruling, while they set the evidentiary rules (not that they will be bound by evidentiary rules for judicial proceedings anyway) and you don't get to ask questions of the cop. But you're right, no court appearance, just a phone call telling you that you're SOL.

I don’t really understand how they can legislate away due process when charged with an offence which is the biggest concern here.

It's even worse than you think. There will be no cross examinations in these hearings and the adjudicators decide what evidence must be submitted, they can decide what disclosure is given and the burden of proof is on the person who requested the review. Pretty much every single matter that can be dealt with administratively will now be reverse onus.

Shlade
01-06-2022, 10:20 AM

I mean, it'll still carry hefty demerits. And depending on circumstances you can still add a mandatory court appearance required charge if it meets that public safety threshold. Really any 50 over does but this just makes things easier I guess for everybody. Sort of. I'm not too sure what to think of it yet. I think its a plus in court reduction times, but shit for anybody getting a ticket.

vengie
01-06-2022, 10:35 AM
It's even worse than you think. There will be no cross examinations in these hearings and the adjudicators decide what evidence must be submitted, they can decide what disclosure is given and the burden of proof is on the person who requested the review. Pretty much every single matter that can be dealt with administratively will now be reverse onus.

And they get paid either way.

rage2
01-06-2022, 10:54 AM
I don’t mind paying, I just want to know if we can get 0 demerits. The fines aren’t expensive, it’s the insurance raising rates on a fleet of cars over 3 years that’s expensive.

Shlade
01-06-2022, 10:59 AM
I don’t mind paying, I just want to know if we can get 0 demerits. The fines aren’t expensive, it’s the insurance raising rates on a fleet of cars over 3 years that’s expensive.

I don't believe there is. Its either guilty plea, or not guilty plea within the 7 days. Then you pay to basically have it reviewed and go to court. Either way, like Vengie said, they will be getting their money.

D'z Nutz
01-06-2022, 11:04 AM
The problem I have is if you've been given a ticket in error, you still have to pay it even if you are found innocent.

Shlade
01-06-2022, 11:08 AM
The problem I have is if you've been given a ticket in error, you still have to pay it even if you are found innocent.

The only time that would be a problem is Photo Radar. They should abolish that garbage fully.

FraserB
01-06-2022, 11:17 AM
I don't believe there is. Its either guilty plea, or not guilty plea within the 7 days. Then you pay to basically have it reviewed and go to court. Either way, like Vengie said, they will be getting their money.

You don't go to court, there is no plea of not guilty. You get your notice of administrative penalty on the side of the road when the officer says you contravened an act and you can either apply to have the penalty reviewed or pay it. If you apply for a review, it goes to an adjudicator that isn't bound by judicial standards and dictates what can be submitted and how it is submitted. With the full onus on the person contesting the penalty and no opportunity to question the police officer.

killramos
01-06-2022, 11:20 AM
I don’t like that you can be convicted of a crime without any avenue ti go before a judge. That’s my main beef.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-06-2022, 11:21 AM
Does this apply only to traffic stops after Feb 1? I have a ticket going to court in April nearly two years after the written date.

Shlade
01-06-2022, 11:38 AM
You don't go to court, there is no plea of not guilty. You get your notice of administrative penalty on the side of the road when the officer says you contravened an act and you can either apply to have the penalty reviewed or pay it. If you apply for a review, it goes to an adjudicator that isn't bound by judicial standards and dictates what can be submitted and how it is submitted. With the full onus on the person contesting the penalty and no opportunity to question the police officer.

Good to know, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Does this apply only to traffic stops after Feb 1? I have a ticket going to court in April nearly two years after the written date.

I believe feb 1 onward is what it only applies to. Anything prior is still scheduled to proceed through court

D'z Nutz
01-06-2022, 11:48 AM
The only time that would be a problem is Photo Radar. They should abolish that garbage fully.

I mean the non-refundable fee to review it:

Under JTI, those seeking a review of a ticket of $299 or less will pay a non-refundable fee of $50, while challenging a fine over $299 will cost $150.

jabjab
01-06-2022, 12:06 PM
If you got photo radar tickets in 2021 would you still be able to try to get them reduced?

16hypen3sp
01-06-2022, 12:11 PM
In the thread linked below, the consensus was that you can still end up in court to fight or appeal.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/413761-Alberta-Provincial-Administrative-Penalties-Act/page2?highlight=adjudicator

89coupe
01-06-2022, 05:49 PM

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/province-to-e-ticket-speeders-drop-traffic-court-and-charge-fee-for-fine-challenges

JRSC00LUDE
01-07-2022, 08:29 AM
Didn't read the thread but I assume there's still a bunch of morons supporting traffic fines as a "voluntary stupid tax" etc. and still actually believing it's for the public good?

killramos
01-07-2022, 08:33 AM
Didn't read the thread but I assume there's still a bunch of morons supporting traffic fines as a "voluntary stupid tax" etc. and still actually believing it's for the public good?

People are generally supportive of fines (or taxes) for groups of people they don’t feel they belong to.

ExtraSlow
01-07-2022, 08:37 AM
Truth.

ThePenIsMightier
01-07-2022, 08:41 AM
"Well, it's simple - don't speed!"

- Karen

jutes
01-07-2022, 08:52 AM

Won't find the support for fines in the name of safety in this thread. People who support traffic fines are the same people who buy those plastic Children Playing Ahead things.

Xtrema
01-07-2022, 09:05 AM
So how do we fight back this injustice? Brian Jean for Premier?

lilmira
01-07-2022, 09:40 AM

Apply social justice of course, that's true justice

killramos
01-07-2022, 09:45 AM
Apply social justice of course, that's true justice

Ticket people for driving while white

Tickets for other races are prorated based on level of oppression.

jutes
01-07-2022, 09:49 AM
I support a race-based traffic ticketing system against white people, that way you can't call it racist.

killramos
01-07-2022, 09:59 AM
Would that mean racing is no longer an offence?

jutes
01-07-2022, 10:04 AM
English is stupid.

killramos
01-07-2022, 10:05 AM
Silly settler language

flipstah
01-07-2022, 10:35 AM
To collect and serve

Xtrema
01-07-2022, 10:37 AM
ticket people for driving while white

tickets for other races are prorated based on level of skin lightness.

ftfy.

ExtraSlow
01-07-2022, 10:53 AM
My Métis brothers are not going to stand for this.

killramos
01-07-2022, 11:09 AM
ftfy.

That’s racist against many opressed but light coloured peoples like Elizabeth Warren. Give your head a shake.

rage2
01-07-2022, 12:21 PM
I’m pretty sure this has been in the works across multiple governments. One of the few things they agree on.

gwill
01-07-2022, 03:51 PM
I’m pretty sure this has been in the works across multiple governments. One of the few things they agree on.

is it actually something they agree on? I hate this new policy to the point Id vote differently.

Everyone's guilty no matter what. As if the cities and police don't take advantage of this new revenue generator.

rage2
01-07-2022, 05:06 PM
is it actually something they agree on? I hate this new policy to the point Id vote differently.

Everyone's guilty no matter what. As if the cities and police don't take advantage of this new revenue generator.
Yea, there was talk of this for cost reductions 8 years ago. It’s one of those low hanging fruits because speeders are evil and will buy votes.

suntan
01-07-2022, 06:32 PM
I speed properly, everybody else are maniacs.

- Karen

ianmcc
01-08-2022, 06:21 AM
You all are looking at this wrong (although the mandatory fee to appeal is total BS unless you are refunded upon reversal).
I foresee that by eliminating the need for officers to make a court appearance that they go on a ticket writing binge and actually start enforcing traffic laws like illegal lane changes and rolling stops and tailgating.
Maybe they will carry portable payment machines (with the tip option of course) so you can pay and be on your way.
If you get a photo radar ticket or "Intersection Safety Cameras" its because you weren't paying attention.
Due process? Hell driving is a privilege not a right (note-sarcasm).