PDA

View Full Version : F1 Weekend - GP of Bahrain

rage2
04-03-2004, 08:50 AM
New track, talk about dusty! Everyone spinning off during practice, including schuey. Kimi blew up during practice, didn't even bother going for qualifying (he'd be knocked down 10 spots anyways). Results were Ferrari 1-2, Williams BMW 3-4, BAR Honda 5-6. Mclaren's 10th (coultard) I believe. They're really sucking ass this year...

On a more serious note, F1 decade was on this morning too... and finally, they came up to the San Marino GP of 1994. It's almost been 10 years since this event, where the great Senna perished during the race, but it feels like it was just yesterday. I remember watching the race live 10 years ago 5:30am on May 1st at my ex-gf's, watched as the safety car came out on lap one after a start line crash, then once the safety car peeled off, watched from Schuey's camera angle as senna went off, parts flew everywhere, then moved his head slightly, then nothing. Turns out the wheel that went flying (along with suspension pieces) pierced through his helmet when it came off, killing him instantly. The decision for the track medics to say that he was in a coma was questioned for a long time... Senna was clearly braindead at the track. F1 rules state that if there's a death during the race, the race would stop. By saying he was in a coma, the race would be allowed to continue, where eventually schumacher won the race. There was no news after the race, and by the time I woke up at 3pm, Senna was declared dead. The end of a racing legend. I grew up watching senna own the tracks, and he was the one that really got me interested in F1 with his amazing driving, unbelievable qualifying skills, and the on/off track drama. I wish I still had the original race tape that I recorded that morning, the F1 Decade was a cut down show that was only 1 hour long. The tape that I had was nearly 3 hours long, including the trackside work on Senna for nearly 40 mins.

Definately brought back a lot of sad memories.

kevie88
04-03-2004, 09:28 AM
I knew for sure he was dead when I watched the race live .. I sat there numb for the whole 'intermission' when they worked on him and just waited, but somehow I knew he wasn't coming out of it..

That was a huge loss to the racing community, I think Senna would STILL be driving F1 races if it weren't for this crash. I can't help but wonder what might have been.

nismodrifter
04-03-2004, 11:02 AM
saw that f1 decades show yesterday as well, he was most definaetly dead right there on the scene, that whole thing wouldn't have happened if that safety car incident didn't happen.....they should have parked the cars and kept the tires warm..

nosegrindR
04-03-2004, 12:55 PM
damn i saw that this morning, that was a pretty crazy crash, his
lines were so nice through each turn on his 'last' lap

hjr
04-03-2004, 01:24 PM
i saw a program on discovery about that crash, they believe that the tire popped up and broke his neck when he hit the wall. i had never heard the suspension/piercing theory until i saw the F1 decade show. I cannot decern which one is correct though very sad.

On a modern note, what was the deal with all the tires going wonky? Something to do with the dust or ??? i have never seen so many tires come off like that.

ninjak84
04-03-2004, 01:49 PM
Rubens drove so good!

Raikkonen's car is worse than a fucking Yugo.

Alpine Autowerks
04-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by hjr
i saw a program on discovery about that crash, they believe that the tire popped up and broke his neck when he hit the wall. i had never heard the suspension/piercing theory until i saw the F1 decade show. I cannot decern which one is correct though very sad.

the upper control arm tore off of its flexure at the body and swung around on it's tether strap the untethered loose end went through his face mask. he was dead before the car stopped moving. the control arms must now have a tether inside each arm now because of this.

nismodrifter
04-03-2004, 08:36 PM
now the question...who is going to wake up at 5am to watch the race:nut: too early for me but I might try :D I don't have the addiction like some of you die hards do

rage2
04-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Rubens had a crash that looked way worse on Friday... so it didn't look too bad for Senna. Besides, Gerhard Berger crashed at the exact same spot before, much more violent and fiery, and pretty much walked away. I seriously thought he was just knocked unconcious, as he twitched from the helicopter view.

It was too bad that Senna died (and Prost retired at the end of '93). Two of the arguably best drivers ended their careers, leaving newbie schuey to own the next 10 years of F1, and become the legend that he is today. If Senna didn't die, it would've made for some true legendary racing, instead of schumacher looking like god all by himself. Honestly, there's been no "super driver" to challenge Schumacher in the last 10 years. No one brillant driver that was as consistant and fast. Senna would've been the only challenge.

As for the foreign object to the helmet, I'll let the next 2 pictures speak for itself. These were from the Manslaughter case against Frank Williams and co. after the Senna death. The Italian government tried them in court, but they were aquitted of all wrong doing. Of course, there was "tainted" evidence, apparantly, Williams destroyed the black box before it could be used to gather telemetry data from the crash. Lots of contraversy. If they were convicted, FIA was going to pull both the Italian GP, as well as San Marino GP.

Like Alpine Autowerks mentioned, the suspension and wheels have tethers to ensure they don't fly off now. Safety regulations stemming from the Senna death.

rage2
04-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Helmet damage #1

rage2
04-03-2004, 10:45 PM
Helmet inside #2. This helmet has been destroyed as per wishes of Senna's family.

Team_Mclaren
04-03-2004, 11:02 PM
didnt watch the decade thing but i remember that happened when i was stil very little, knew noth about f1 but remember the name "senna" as a race driver and heard that he die during a race on the news...

as for this race man its at 5am!!! thats crazy! but im prettu sure i'll get up for it. and kimi's engine blew again..... this is a bad season for Mclaren!!! hope they can turn it around. soon....

rage2
04-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Anyone sick of Ferrari owing everyone yet? :)

ninjak84
04-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Yeah, a little..... It's not that I'm sick of the owning, it's the lack of opposition that's depressing.

Honda had such an amazing showing though. I was happy to see Sato hold his position against Ralf! Honda is starting to kick some ass, and Mclaren-Mercedes has become the official "lemon car" of the circuit.

rage2
04-04-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by ninjak84
Mclaren-Mercedes has become the official "lemon car" of the circuit.
haha no doubt. Just like my benz :nut:.

Alpine Autowerks
04-04-2004, 03:24 PM
great TV work, the director kept the cameras on the passing, the Fiats at the front got as much air time as the Jordans...there were Joradans weren't there ?

I taped it and watched it at 7 .. started to fire up laptop to catch lap chart & times from Formula1.com and almost did a self spoiler.

need to find a way to record that info & sync it to the vcr

Team_Mclaren
04-04-2004, 06:09 PM
damn this is gay!!! got up at 5 which the race is around 15 laps in, notice that kimi was out so i was like "SHIT".:thumbsdow watched till there about 15 laps left then i was like F this, went back to sleep! only up side is that honda is doing fairly good, good to see a different team step up! but Mclaren......:( :( "heartbroken"

blinkme_210
04-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Damn daylight savings time, no way I was gonna be waking up at 5am to watch it, especially when I went to sleep at 3, lol :P

Weapon_R
04-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Did they ever discuss the accident? It seemed as though Senna totally miscalculated that corner. Was it mechanical failure that caused him to lose control?

And for us younger guys, was he as good as Shumacher is today?

calgarys13
04-04-2004, 06:35 PM
WOW mclaren is pissin me off....whats with the engine faliures...give kimi davids cars because kimi has alot more potential...anyways saw the decade show ...what a sad day lost 2 great drivers that race...although after that spped aired some ice racing and Prost was still goin hard!!!

rage2
04-04-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Did they ever discuss the accident? It seemed as though Senna totally miscalculated that corner. Was it mechanical failure that caused him to lose control?
There were several theories. Puncture from CF on the track from earlier incident, which was dismissed by partial telemetry provided by Williams. The low tire pressure theory from cold tires/safety car also was dismissed. The steering column had a stress fracture, which broke. The Italian courts said it was the cause of Senna's lost of control, Williams said it was the impact that broke the steering. Nobody will know for sure, since the full telemetric data is missing. But it's the theory that makes the most sense.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
And for us younger guys, was he as good as Shumacher is today?
Hard to say. Schumacher raced senna in inferior hardware prior to 94, but you could already see him beginning to shine. Senna made more out of shitty hardware than Schuey (even tho schuey did pretty good with his early days at ferrari). In the rain, there was no contest. Senna was invincible. Qualifying, again, Senna was invincible. He could have a car that's much slower than any competitor and still pull off pole. Crazy stuff. He holds the record for poles, which schuey is gonna beat soon... sometime this year.

It's a tough call, Schuey never had any real competitors to his driving... so it's something that we may never know.

nosegrindR
04-05-2004, 01:30 AM
this weekend's track had crazy speed sections and brake sections, did you guys notice the glowing rotors?

civic_stylez
04-05-2004, 05:36 PM
man if i was JPM i wouldnt be too excited about heading to merc next year... i hope the new car they have for mid season is alot better than the one they have now. i couldnt believe the dust that came flying off the rotors every time they hit the brakes! thats a prety cool track IMO. the announcer said it best when he couldnt believe that the teams that used to pressure ferrari were BMW and merc but now the new challengers are proving to be renault and honda. even though ferraris dominating this year i think there will be a sweet battle between honda renault bmw and merc (if the new mid season car performs well).

calgarys13
04-05-2004, 10:38 PM
the mid season car will perform better!!!it will perform better!!!!it will perfomr better!!!i hope..i hate to see kimis season go to waste after him placing second last season and he hasn't even finished a race so far this year...next season will be awesome if merc can clean up there act and develop a car that will rival the f2005

gpomp
04-05-2004, 11:00 PM
The mid season car will be the MP4-17D :rofl:

calgarys13
04-05-2004, 11:28 PM
oh well atleast itll finish the race:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

el_fefes
04-06-2004, 03:14 PM
i didn't see the race, but i read that montoya finished like 13th or something....did something happen to his car ?