PDA

View Full Version : Non-Resident buying, registering, insuring car in Alberta

davidI
01-22-2022, 04:15 AM
I'm no longer a Canadian Resident (living in Spain) but we're considering building-out a van to do a 1-2 year trip in North America (<183 days in any country per year to avoid residence).

Does anyone know how registration and insurance works for non-residents? I'm sure I can obtain the address of friends/families but given we've have foreign (Spanish) driving licenses, I'm not sure how it would all work.

I've already done some Googling but hope someone has firsthand advice.

ercchry
01-22-2022, 09:29 AM
I’d probably pick a different location for the plates… I wouldn’t say Alberta has any advantages if you’re moving around. Perhaps checkout Mexico, or Arizona maybe?

ExtraSlow
01-22-2022, 09:34 AM
Can't really advise, but back in the early 2000's I bought and insured a vehicle in New Zealand with my Alberta drivers license. Wasn't a big deal.

haggis88
01-22-2022, 09:38 AM
I was able to insure a vehicle on my UK license back in 2012...

i did register it too, but I can't remember if I did that at the same time as exchanging the license so they'd have my AB license info

- - - Updated - - -

I’d probably pick a different location for the plates… I wouldn’t say Alberta has any advantages if you’re moving around. Perhaps checkout Mexico, or Arizona maybe?

Florida used to be the place of choice for this kind of thing

ExtraSlow
01-22-2022, 09:47 AM
Check the euro overlanding or motorbike forums.

Team_Mclaren
01-22-2022, 10:35 AM
IIRC some insurance company would issue insurance on international drivers. for Registration, the registry would create an MVID for you for registration.

davidI
01-22-2022, 10:52 AM

Benefit is that's where I'd have access to a garage and tools to kit out the van, though I guess it's always an option to buy/register/insure it elsewhere and then drive to Calgary to sort out the build.

Masked Bandit
01-22-2022, 10:55 AM
Insuring a vehicle in Alberta with an International licence is going to be expensive, and you need a mailing address to attach yourself too. I would look at maybe one of the government provinces like SK.

ercchry
01-22-2022, 10:55 AM
Benefit is that's where I'd have access to a garage and tools to kit out the van, though I guess it's always an option to buy/register/insure it elsewhere and then drive to Calgary to sort out the build.

Yeah, some places have much lesser requirements than others to maintain the registration. Mexico is comical, you might also find a deal down there on a pre-built van as it’s often where these influencers end up and sell them off and just fly back home