PDA

View Full Version : Recent CPSC Grads?

tulit
04-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Are there any recent CPSC grads?

Was just wondering if anyone knew ballpark figures for what new graduates salaries are at right now.

Thanks.

joegrang
04-03-2004, 11:09 AM
were u even able to find a job? I've seen some grad still working at places like the bay and chapters... I would say ask for 34-36K

ade99
04-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Depends on who hires you. Bigger companies between 40-45K while smaller ones 34-40K. My gf just got hired by CPRail and she's starting at 46K (way more than what I made when I first started)

RiCE-DaDDy
04-03-2004, 12:11 PM
my friend is working for a big company and he goes on trips to las vegas :D but is only making like 38k but they said he'll get like a 20% raise. They said they were gonna give him a shit startin salary for a position that deserves more.

nosegrindR
04-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by joegrang
were u even able to find a job? I've seen some grad still working at places like the bay and chapters...

:werd: the market is so saturated right now

KLCC
04-03-2004, 02:17 PM
:werd: you are probably better off finding job elsewhere or better yet, change field of studies. I heard accounting is really hot right now???

GingeRRRBeef
04-03-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by tulit
Are there any recent CPSC grads?

Was just wondering if anyone knew ballpark figures for what new graduates salaries are at right now.

Thanks.

You realize it also depends on what you do right?

So many different fields in computer science, it's kinda hard to say exactly how much.

I think a "ballpark" figure is kinda nonsense cause it doesn't really apply to you.

I think you should be asking "what's the avg salary for job X?"

RiCE-DaDDy
04-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by KLCC
:werd: you are probably better off finding job elsewhere or better yet, change field of studies. I heard accounting is really hot right now???

accounting is always a need, doesnt get hot or slow down

mo_virgin
04-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Accounting? soooo boring. But if your in it for the money... it aint bad.

Orbie
04-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Tis true, the market is very saturated with CPSC grads. Depends on where you want to go though, if you wish to stay in Calgary, better opt for the IS field in the Oil and Gas industry. You may be able to find something in SENG but it won't be a big company.

I agree with ade99, for larger companies your looking in the range of 40-50K, but smaller can be anywhere from 20-35K. I won't say specifically what I made on Internship but it was in the higher of the two ranges, if you got hired on full time at the company I worked for you would make +50K easy.

nosegrindR
04-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Orbie
Tis true, the market is very saturated with CPSC grads. Depends on where you want to go though, if you wish to stay in Calgary, better opt for the IS field in the Oil and Gas industry. You may be able to find something in SENG but it won't be a big company.

I agree with ade99, for larger companies your looking in the range of 40-50K, but smaller can be anywhere from 20-35K. I won't say specifically what I made on Internship but it was in the higher of the two ranges, if you got hired on full time at the company I worked for you would make +50K easy.

who did you do internship for?
i'm applying for cpsc internship next semester and the options the department provides us with usually suck so i'm going to go on my own and find a good employer

Orbie
04-10-2004, 11:16 PM
I won't say who I worked for since that would violate some documents I signed with them...but it was a large Oil & Gas company. The decision for salary was made in regards to previous experience as well as GPA etc. I remember a friend of mine in CPSC got in as well and I made more then him for some reason. So if your in good standing, if you apply for a large company you'll make good money as well. IBM also pays very well, but unless you work for the Calgary office, you'll be paying a lot for cost of living in T.O.

Oh well...looking for an Internship placement on your own is definitely a good idea. Unfortunately, you probably don't have the vastness of contacts that the UofC Career Services office has, so I'd keep an eye on the job board just for other opportunities as you perform your own search.

Just to note, I was also on the Internship sub-committee for the UofC so I picked up some stuff regarding how Internship/Co-op is organized here. I used to think the Career Services office was charging too much for the program and didn't offer enough support for students. But when I worked with them I found out it's actually the Department and the University LT that is to blame. The CPSC Department does NOT support the Internship program, it is offered as a FREE service by Career Services who is an independent entity at the U. Basically the job of Career Services is only to post job opportunities and give workshops for UofC students and Alumni, there was no where else for the responsibility of CPSC Internship to fall to but them as the CPSC department does not support the program.

Dr. Christian Jacob, who marks Internship/Co-op work term reports for CPSC, is the only one who does this for upwards of 60 students every semester, and he does it voluntarily on his free time. The University may actually drop Career Services altogether due to Budget cuts, and thus CPSC may lose it's Internship program altogether. The only hope would be if the CPSC department picked it up and funded it themselves, which they won't do, as their main focus is graduate studies and research. The big 2 faculties that actually support their Internship/Co-op programs are Management and Engineering. You'll notice that both these faculties have their own career services offices underneath the faculty which funds it.

What's this all mean?...you made a good choice in getting into the Internship program as 1. who knows how much longer it will be there and 2. Experience is a necessity if you want to look for jobs upon graduation in CPSC, especially these days.

Zero102
04-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Man, now you got me all worried, I'm 2 years away from the internship. I was really looking forward to it, maybe try working for the evil empire or something, but if they scrap it, I'm outta luck.

Orbie
04-12-2004, 09:22 PM
hehe, sorry man, don't mean to worry you, just spread awareness. When I was on Internship last year, that was when the big fear of cutting Career Services was around. I remember constantly petitioning with the Sub-committee to keep the Internship program at the U, especially for CPSC (which is the third largest behind Management and Engineering). We actually sent out an e-mail petition for CPSC students to sign to keep the program, and sent it to the Dean of Science. Other students actually took it upon themselves to write the Dean themselves.

From the impressions I got on my 1 year term, it looks like the Dean does like the program but it wasn't under the focus for the CPSC department, which wishes to expand it's graduate/research programs. We had a few meetings with some senior members of the APC (Academic Program Committee) which is the parent committee of the one I was on, and makes all final decisions regarding academic programs at the UofC. They gave the impression that they wished to support ONLY the most successful Internship/Co-op programs. So before I left the state was that CPSC Internship would be around for at least another year maybe more. So don't worry too much yet, remember at any large institution or company, major changes take a LONG time to happen.

RiCE-DaDDy
04-13-2004, 12:55 AM
Internship is so important, the school would be stupid to cut it.