PDA

View Full Version : What to get for someone about going into chemo?

Xtrema
02-06-2022, 08:02 PM
Got 2 friends that will be going into chemo next month. What kind of care package/gifts helps on the recovery?

One for balls and another for nose. Apparently both are inoperable due to location.

Need some suggestion besides a card.

Sentry
02-07-2022, 12:56 AM
Not speaking from firsthand experience, but weed edibles would probably be appreciated.

bjstare
02-07-2022, 08:54 AM
Fuzzy warm socks.

Xtrema
02-07-2022, 09:52 AM
Fuzzy warm socks.

Googling seems to point to socks and caps are popular choices.

Not speaking from firsthand experience, but weed edibles would probably be appreciated.

If it was myself, I would. But I'm not sure if they/their family are onboard with that.

ExtraSlow
02-07-2022, 09:55 AM
If you know someone who knits, a shawl or small blanket kinda thing is a nice one. Home-made, soft, warm. . . .

An e-book like a kobo so they can have something lightweight to read while waiting around, which i think is a huge part of that treatment. Kobo can get free books from the Calgary library through overdrive, so no ongoing costs.

Xtrema
02-07-2022, 11:18 AM
An e-book like a kobo so they can have something lightweight to read while waiting around, which i think is a huge part of that treatment. Kobo can get free books from the Calgary library through overdrive, so no ongoing costs.

Bingo! Lasts way longer than tablets. Thx.

schurchill39
02-07-2022, 11:21 AM
My mom says club soda was her saving grace through chemo but hated it before and after recovery. If you end up doing a care package throw a few cans of that in there. She also agreed with fuzzy soft anything and some really good scent free heavy duty lotion like Kiehl's.

tonytiger55
02-07-2022, 12:58 PM
My sister had chemo and passed away not long after. I had another close friend go through chemo during the same time but she survied. Looking back these were some of the things that came up.
Psychological support was the biggest one. Just being there and listening. Small things depending on the situation. Like cleaning the house, taking care of the dishes, taking car of the car maintence items. These are big. Taking household chores of things they have to do everyday off thier head as they will have brain fog and not much energy.

Complimentary sessions on relaxation, acupuncture and reflexology. Phone numbers of people who have gone through similar treatment as a lot of the fight is not physical, its pscychological. Relaxaion audio, mp3s etc.

A friend said the book, a complete guide to breast cancer, so something similar might be uselful. But speak to the person first as it might be very sensitive.
Organic lip balm. Organic handcream, bodylotion and foot balm.
Essential ils for relaxation.. i.e lavender.
Headscarfs and funky hats, wig voucher. They may not loose all thier hair.
Cosy socks. Tasty way to ease nausea ginger sweets. Cooling relief pillow.
Those are just some of the things that helped.

Serpent
04-29-2022, 01:27 PM
The topic is very scary for real.
but the socks option is not bad. But I think you need to help psychologically and support a person more, I saw a couple of articles on the topic of what to say to a person before chemotherapy, find and read (https://goodmancoaching.nl). Good luck to you and your loved ones, may everyone be healthy and do not know misfortune.

navdeep
04-29-2022, 01:39 PM
when I was going throw chemo my best was

a heating pad and life Saver candy, as most people, when going throw chemo have a heightened sense of smell and the candy really helps with that

DonJuan
04-29-2022, 01:51 PM
... Psychological support was the biggest one. Just being there and listening. Small things depending on the situation. Like cleaning the house, taking care of the dishes, taking car of the car maintence items. These are big. Taking household chores of things they have to do everyday off thier head as they will have brain fog and not much energy.

Complimentary sessions on relaxation, acupuncture and reflexology. Phone numbers of people who have gone through similar treatment as a lot of the fight is not physical, its pscychological. Relaxaion audio, mp3s etc. ...

Very much this.

Psychological support was big. When my mom was going through it she was very easily irritable sometimes and it was hard to not get angry with her. But you just have to tough through it and do your best. We got her e-books and a new TV (at the time) with apps on it so she can watch youtube, netflix, prime, etc. This helped lots. She's 10+ years cancer free now.

So in terms of friends care package, I would def say +1 on the ebooks and check in on them whenever you can.

Buster
04-29-2022, 01:56 PM
That's really shitty.

cam_wmh
04-29-2022, 06:03 PM
Your time. I have a bud going through it now. Just hang, as much as you can.

zechs
04-29-2022, 09:25 PM
Your time. I have a bud going through it now. Just hang, as much as you can.

This is the number one thing for anyone sick long term. Being there for them.

Obviously you can't all the time, but at least once a week will make a huge difference to their day. Phone call, whatever, just make it happen.

Anytime a friend goes into the hospital, I'm there for them.