PDA

View Full Version : Install garage drain with sump

jwslam
02-11-2022, 10:37 AM
Have some water pooling issues in my attached double garage.
Was thinking to get a 20ft long line drain and a sump installed which I could just dump out periodically.

Any recommended installers and how much it might cost?

Not really interested in installing a line to sewer since I assume costs would be astronomical since this isn't part of initial construction.

schurchill39
02-11-2022, 10:48 AM
Can you even do that in the city? When I was looking into it for my detached garage in 2014 I could not install any sort of drainage in a garage, but maybe I am misremembering.

ExtraSlow
02-11-2022, 10:58 AM
#interested

goldfish168
02-11-2022, 11:01 AM
Check out Concrete Innovations. Get a quote and report back
https://concreteinnovations.ca/pages/Residential+/Garage+Drainage+Solutions/52

bjstare
02-11-2022, 11:02 AM
Can you even do that in the city? When I was looking into it for my detached garage in 2014 I could not install any sort of drainage in a garage, but maybe I am misremembering.

I don't have a lot to contribute for OP, but my parents rebuilt their detached ~10 years ago (maybe a bit more?) and it's got a drain. They also have a black water drain (goes to sewer somehow, obvi) in their rv parking area.

jwslam
02-11-2022, 11:02 AM
Check out Concrete Innovations. Get a quote and report back
https://concreteinnovations.ca/pages/Residential+/Garage+Drainage+Solutions/52
I emailed them around Xmas and they didn't get back for 2 weeks quoting too busy for a bit and asking me to call back for a on-site quote later.

jutes
02-11-2022, 11:15 AM
I had the same issues, just bought a large squeegee and cleared the water manually. Cheap/lazy alternative?

jwslam
02-11-2022, 11:29 AM
Squeegee solution is a lot of cold work on my part... plus north driveway means I just end up with ice everywhere outside :thumbsdow

90_Shelby
02-11-2022, 11:40 AM
Have some water pooling issues in my attached double garage.
Was thinking to get a 20ft long line drain and a sump installed which I could just dump out periodically.

Any recommended installers and how much it might cost?

Not really interested in installing a line to sewer since I assume costs would be astronomical since this isn't part of initial construction.

I simply drilled 6-8 1/2" holes in the pad where water pooled in one of my garages, problem solved.

SJW
02-11-2022, 11:53 AM

I have drainage in my garage. I bought it like this. I'm sure it's legal if done right.

schurchill39
02-11-2022, 12:18 PM
I have drainage in my garage. I bought it like this. I'm sure it's legal if done right.

I don't have a lot to contribute for OP, but my parents rebuilt their detached ~10 years ago (maybe a bit more?) and it's got a drain. They also have a black water drain (goes to sewer somehow, obvi) in their rv parking area.

Never mind me OP, apparently I just dreamt up that restriction (likely to dial back my scope creep at the time)

jwslam
02-11-2022, 12:40 PM
I simply drilled 6-8 1/2" holes in the pad where water pooled in one of my garages, problem solved.
can't tell if this is a troll post...
so you went all the way through the concrete into soil?

gpomp
02-11-2022, 12:52 PM
Concrete Innovations did Rick's garage. $300 discount code here...

https://www.radgarage.ca/drainage.html

90_Shelby
02-11-2022, 03:56 PM
can't tell if this is a troll post...
so you went all the way through the concrete into soil?

No trolling. I drilled through the ~4" of concrete with a hammer drill to allow the pooling water to drain. This was a garage that I built new.

At my current house, garage was built ~40-50 years ago, the previous owner did the same thing. He drilled a few random holes in the floor to allow the pooled water from melted snow to drain through the concrete.

killramos
02-11-2022, 04:01 PM
If I was to do this I would see if you can’t get the sump a couple feet down so as to be able to hopefully free drain.

I assume The frost line under a heated garage isn’t very deep.

Basically the “drill a few holes” technique on a bigger scale.

ExtraSlow
02-11-2022, 04:04 PM
The cheapskate in me is intrigued.

90_Shelby
02-11-2022, 04:22 PM
If I was to do this I would see if you can’t get the sump a couple feet down so as to be able to hopefully free drain.

I assume The frost line under a heated garage isn’t very deep.

Basically the “drill a few holes” technique on a bigger scale.

Is there frost under a heated garage? Serious question. It would likely freeze around the perimeter but how far does it extend under the pad? For my scenario, the water on the floor hasn't frozen and the holes don't clog with ice so it hasn't really mattered in my garages.

To clarify my simple holes in the pad, by no means is this a "drain" in a plumbing sense, you can't have a sink or shower with flowing water running under your foundation. This is strictly for melt water from a car.

When I first did this in my 4 car garage, water was pooling at the dividing wall between the two sides of the garage. The alternative to drilling holes was pooled water under a 2x4 wall which would eventually rot the wood and ruin the drywall. The holes have been there for 10 years, zero issues, no pooling of water.

XylathaneGTR
02-11-2022, 04:26 PM

When I was building last year, I asked our architect and builder about this. They said City doesn't allow such connections due to potential for contamination to enter sewer system / waste water outflows (e.g. oil spills, etc.). Presence of such a thing would not pass pre-possession city inspection.

I'm sure code/requirements have evolved over time. Not surprised to hear of existing homes with this, but was told new-build was a strict no-go.

Swank
02-11-2022, 04:46 PM
I had the same issues, just bought a large squeegee and cleared the water manually. Cheap/lazy alternative?

That's what I do, a lot has to do with so many places where it pools so one drain wouldn't cut it, and cheap/lazy are the other factors. Mudjacking is not worth it to me to fix the low spots, but that's a whole other topic.

TomcoPDR
02-11-2022, 05:09 PM
Consider using slot drain instead of grates, imho, for small household garage. https://www.slotdrainsystems.com/products And they have catch basin options, with pull out dirt baskets.. Commercial 2 compartment sumps are $$$$, usually nobody would physically scoop shit out, till it's too late and full, then those vacuum trucks are like $500-800 per call.

You're probably just a 4" slab correct? If u aren't tying into sewer (dry sump) (disclaimer, I don't know code if dry sumps are allowed)... consider just DIY, rent a walk behind concrete saw, it'll cut like butter, hammer drill re-bar, rent one of those u-haul-concrete to fill the gap (the cavity between the dug trench, to the drain product)... boom done

killramos
02-11-2022, 05:22 PM
Is there frost under a heated garage? Serious question. It would likely freeze around the perimeter but how far does it extend under the pad? For my scenario, the water on the floor hasn't frozen and the holes don't clog with ice so it hasn't really mattered in my garages.

To clarify my simple holes in the pad, by no means is this a "drain" in a plumbing sense, you can't have a sink or shower with flowing water running under your foundation. This is strictly for melt water from a car.

When I first did this in my 4 car garage, water was pooling at the dividing wall between the two sides of the garage. The alternative to drilling holes was pooled water under a 2x4 wall which would eventually rot the wood and ruin the drywall. The holes have been there for 10 years, zero issues, no pooling of water.

I think we are advocating for the same thing

TomcoPDR
02-11-2022, 05:29 PM
No trolling. I drilled through the ~4" of concrete with a hammer drill to allow the pooling water to drain. This was a garage that I built new.

At my current house, garage was built ~40-50 years ago, the previous owner did the same thing. He drilled a few random holes in the floor to allow the pooled water from melted snow to drain through the concrete.

Any photos for visual... I'm trying to picture this

cyra1ax
02-11-2022, 05:37 PM
Never mind me OP, apparently I just dreamt up that restriction (likely to dial back my scope creep at the time)

Not just you, I heard of the same thing.
In fact, I even knew of a guy that put in a little sump pit under his pad and a drain to feed it. Got the concrete guys to cover it. After the City cleared it, he jackhammered the drain out and put the cover on :rofl:

ThePenIsMightier
02-11-2022, 05:45 PM
Not just you, I heard of the same thing.
In fact, I even knew of a guy that put in a little sump pit under his pad and a drain to feed it. Got the concrete guys to cover it. After the City cleared it, he jackhammered the drain out and put the cover on :rofl:

x3. I'm confident I've heard there is some dumb regulatory issue with this.

benyl
02-11-2022, 05:54 PM
When I was building last year, I asked our architect and builder about this. They said City doesn't allow such connections due to potential for contamination to enter sewer system / waste water outflows (e.g. oil spills, etc.). Presence of such a thing would not pass pre-possession city inspection.

I'm sure code/requirements have evolved over time. Not surprised to hear of existing homes with this, but was told new-build was a strict no-go.

I don't know why this keeps coming up.

The house we built in 2010 had garage drains connected to the house sewer system. Basically anything in the garage coming off the cars would go down the same drain as my shower and my toilets.

We are just about to finish a house and I have the same setup. The line drain pictured below goes into the house and out the regular line.

88CRX
02-11-2022, 07:01 PM
We have 2 drains in our garage. 2018 build. It was on the building permit drawings and constructed that way.

Sentry
02-11-2022, 11:40 PM

90_Shelby
02-12-2022, 09:14 AM
I think we are advocating for the same thing

I understand that, I'm curious how frost depth is impacted by a heated building.

I thought that was you again!!!!! Your contributions have covered the fuel cost for the Trackhawk for 1 week!

jutes
02-12-2022, 09:24 AM
Squeegee solution is a lot of cold work on my part... plus north driveway means I just end up with ice everywhere outside :thumbsdow

Install a heated driveway?

bjstare
02-12-2022, 09:54 AM
It drives me crazy that those holes are seemingly randomly placed. I’d have measured out some type of pattern.

TomcoPDR
02-12-2022, 10:55 AM
Ahhh. That’s a good quick solution

ExtraSlow
02-12-2022, 11:07 AM
Looks like something I would do. Honestly something I SHOULD do.

The_Penguin
02-12-2022, 07:26 PM
Looks like something I would do. Honestly something I SHOULD do.

We have a high spot in the swale right in the middle of our backyard. The city won't fix it, the developer won't fix it. Maybe I should drill some holes, just to keep the nasty water from sitting there...

schurchill39
02-14-2022, 10:58 AM
We have a high spot in the swale right in the middle of our backyard. The city won't fix it, the developer won't fix it. Maybe I should drill some holes, just to keep the nasty water from sitting there...

Grinder with a diamond disk :dunno:

g-m
02-16-2022, 06:42 PM
Will those spall because of salt I wonder? I really should drill some if that works

The_Penguin
02-17-2022, 09:35 AM

Brain fart. Meant LOW spot.

cyra1ax
03-08-2022, 10:08 AM
Bump. Did you happen to get a cost jwslam? Debating getting one put in for mine.

Ekliptix
03-09-2022, 12:58 PM
Interested. My 3 car garage doesn't have a drain, and I've already had the garage door frozen to the floor from water melted off the car.
I'd love a french drain with a catch bin like this (https://concreteinnovations.ca/pages/Residential+/Garage+Drainage+Solutions/52), but I'm guessing it'd be upwards of $5k all in.

My cheap solution is gluing some flexible rubber trim down to catch the melting water and divert it all to a corner near the garage door. From there, I can either a) drill a ~8" hole in the concrete to catch the water which I'd manually empty, often, or b) allow the water to escape under the garage door to the driveway via a small piece of PCV pipe cut in 1/2, potentially with a piece of heat tape/cable to prevent icing shut.

I like the suggested ease of just drilling holes in the floor and letting it drain, but my gut tells me I don't want a bunch of water under my garage concrete.

GT.....O?
03-09-2022, 01:04 PM
Bought one of these, and ran a drain out to the apron. I was able to get my concrete guy to slope the entire garage to the drain which is centered on the door.

Works awesome, and i think the drain was only 350 bucks??

If you have an area where the water is consistently pooling it might make sense, otherwise a line drain. I would suggest just capping the outlet if you cant slope out the drain anywhere though.

ThePenIsMightier
03-09-2022, 01:16 PM
Interested. My 3 car garage doesn't have a drain, and I've already had the garage door frozen to the floor from water melted off the car.
I'd love a french drain with a catch bin like this (https://concreteinnovations.ca/pages/Residential+/Garage+Drainage+Solutions/52), but I'm guessing it'd be upwards of $5k all in.

My cheap solution is gluing some flexible rubber trim down to catch the melting water and divert it all to a corner near the garage door. From there, I can either a) drill a ~8" hole in the concrete to catch the water which I'd manually empty, often, or b) allow the water to escape under the garage door to the driveway via a small piece of PCV pipe cut in 1/2, potentially with a piece of heat tape/cable to prevent icing shut.

I like the suggested ease of just drilling holes in the floor and letting it drain, but my gut tells me I don't want a bunch of water under my garage concrete.

You could also place a big absorbent mop in the corner that you've diverted to.
A thick bead of silicone seal also works well to divert.

Ekliptix
03-09-2022, 01:37 PM
You could also place a big absorbent mop in the corner that you've diverted to.
A thick bead of silicone seal also works well to divert.

Interesting. I wonder how high the silicon bead would need to be to divert melting water. 1/2" I would guess.
I am installing a dehumidifier draining to a sink, plus about 7000cfm of fan power to help things out.

ThePenIsMightier
03-09-2022, 01:42 PM
Interesting. I wonder how high the silicon bead would need to be to divert melting water. 1/2" I would guess.
I am installing a dehumidifier draining to a sink, plus about 7000cfm of fan power to help things out.

It can be surprisingly small as long you know the gradient and diversion path.

jwslam
03-09-2022, 02:09 PM
Bump. Did you happen to get a cost @jwslam (https://forums.beyond.ca/member.php?u=46735)? Debating getting one put in for mine.
nope never got around to calling them

jadenstate
03-12-2022, 06:15 PM
nope never got around to calling them

I called them yesterday, got through right away. He said its normally $5400 for a standard double garage, but he would honor the $300 off discount if you say your from this forum. He said it could be cheaper if you have a heated garage and get it done before the concrete season starts, but didnt elaborate.