PDA

View Full Version : new windshield before selling ?

Seks
02-18-2022, 10:34 PM
Bottom of windshield, crack across. Doesn't interfere with my field of view.

Also a half a dozen rock chips.

Replace before selling the car or leave it?

ExtraSlow
02-18-2022, 10:40 PM
Car worth less than $20k, do not replace.

Doozer
02-18-2022, 10:54 PM

Interesting criteria. Our minivan will be sold for under $20K and we're for sure going to replace the windshield.

Although now maybe not, depending on consensus here. But does seem like it would at least get the value back.

90_Shelby
02-18-2022, 11:03 PM
I would replace but I would find the absolute cheapest place I could find.

D'z Nutz
02-18-2022, 11:48 PM
I think it depends on how bad it is, how much the car is selling for, and how much interest there is.

When I was selling my Subie last year, there was a crack across the windshield but I was upfront about it in my ad and point blank said not to even try using it as a bargaining chip because a) the crack lines up with the edge of the hood so you can't even see it unless you're looking for it, and b) it's fucking Calgary; any vehicle that is driven in the winter is likely going to end up with one sooner or later so live with it. I also had a line up of people waiting to see it, so I knew I could have stood firm on it.

That said, if I were selling something like an $80K vehicle or there were cracks all across the sight line, I'd throw a cheap windshield on.

ShermanEF9
02-18-2022, 11:49 PM
just go to a glass shop, throw a cheap aftermarket windshield in it and profit. $200 spent on a windshield is $500+ kijiji bro can't argue over.

ThePenIsMightier
02-19-2022, 12:00 AM
No.
If argument, send crank shot immediately.

spikerS
02-19-2022, 12:32 AM
It's alberta. If it's not in the field of vision, i wouldn't worry about it. if someone is gonna take the time to come look and try to haggle thousands off for a cracked windshield, offer $250 off to have it replaced.

When I was selling my last truck it had a couple cracks, none of the guys that came to look at it even mentioned it. I don't think it is a big deal.

zieg
02-19-2022, 08:09 AM
On cheaper cars I prefer to discount the sale by the approximate replacement cost. Saves me the time, and gives them the option to leave it, replace it for a cheap POS or something higher quality. Worst thing you can do it replace it with a cheap one IMO.

90_Shelby
02-19-2022, 08:22 AM
Used dealerships arguably get the highest price for the vehicles they sell, compared to a private sale. Mirror what they do if you also want to maximize your return. If you don’t want to maximize your return, don’t bother fixing the windshield, cleaning the car inside and out or have noticeable dings, damage or rust repaired prior to selling. Financing is another reason they get a higher price and know that you can reference the buyer to House of Cars etc and the car can be financed through them.

Personal preference on what should be done before selling is going to be all over the map, but do you care to get top dollar? If not, sell it as is.

redline
02-20-2022, 10:22 PM

Even a 74 yugo is worth more then 20k in this market …

In this market not a big deal

AndyL
02-20-2022, 11:49 PM
For 279$ - call the mobile guys to come swap it in the driveway as it's one less thing to argue about / deal with. Not going to loose money by having a new windshield on the car.

tonytiger55
02-21-2022, 01:48 AM
No. Its a sellers market.

bjstare
02-21-2022, 08:40 AM
Absolutely not, unless it’s trashed. $ return on maintenance items for cars is usually very poor.

killramos
02-21-2022, 08:51 AM
If you windshield you might get more money for it, up to the value of a windshield, but you are guaranteed to be out the cost of a windshield.

The calculus on that seems pretty clear.

schurchill39
02-21-2022, 11:25 AM
Unless the vehicle was under $5k I would replace it. Windshields are super cheap

haggis88
02-21-2022, 11:46 AM
Add the price of a windshield into your asking price, then when Kijiji bro comes to view and haggle, let him think he got a bargain by getting you to discount the price

ExtraSlow
02-21-2022, 11:50 AM
Add the price of a windshield into your asking price, then when Kijiji bro comes to view and haggle, let him think he got a bargain by getting you to discount the price

5d chess right here. That's basically what I do. A visible defect is a great negotiation tool.

heavyD
02-21-2022, 01:54 PM
It all depends on the condition of the car and how it appears on first glance. If it's say a high mileage car (which is a negative for resale) that is in good condition you want that to be the highlight so the first thing they notice about the car when they see it is that it's in great shape. A crummy looking windshield won't likely be a deal breaker but it's a negative and from my experience selling a lot of cars I find the buyer is usually sold immediately if you blow them away with how clean and well taken care of the car appears. This is all relative of course to how much the car is worth but to me if you are asking more than $10k, then pay $350 or whatever to get a new windshield installed.

Doozer
02-21-2022, 04:39 PM
For 279$ - call the mobile guys to come swap it in the driveway as it's one less thing to argue about / deal with. Not going to loose money by having a new windshield on the car.

This is what I've done for my last few windshield repairs but one small note, they only do driveways in the summer. I called in Nov and unless you have a heated garage you have to take it to their shop.

suntan
02-22-2022, 11:58 AM

lol that's what I did when I sold my Fiesta.

Seks
02-24-2022, 06:57 PM
i'm leaning towards replacing. any recommendations?

I replaced it years ago at Cal Alta

prae
02-25-2022, 07:12 AM
i'm leaning towards replacing. any recommendations?

I replaced it years ago at Cal Alta

I've had two great experiences with Cal Alta in recent times. I'd go there, it's likely cheapest too, if you bring a food bank donation.

haggis88
02-25-2022, 11:13 AM
DECO

Used them for my last 3 vehicles, also the insurance has paid for itself, had 6 or 7 chips repaired to prevent the new screen cracking

I think you get the years chip coverage included if you buy a new windshield from them

They also have at least 3 "popup" chip repair tents in the Deep SE in the summer, so that swayed my decision a little bit knowing how easy we could get them done!

You can move the coverage to a new vehicle when you get it, it follows the plate