PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a washing machine

ExtraSlow
02-27-2022, 12:28 PM
Moms washing machine has cratered. Doesn't want it fixed, wants a new one. The trick is that the space she has is a little bit narrow. Current machine is 25.5" wide, and it's basically filling the space. So new one needs to be LESS than 26" wide. Ideally really simple controls too, she gets confused easily by high tech stuff. No smartphone app or bluetooth or anything.
Low price is good, she's on a pension. Will need installation and delivery.

Anyone have a suggestion of a specific machine or place to go? I know there are a few 24" size out there.

ThePenIsMightier
02-27-2022, 01:03 PM
I hate my Samsung.

/useful insight

ShermanEF9
02-27-2022, 02:52 PM
whatever it is, go top load. the front load ones like to leak after a while.

ThePenIsMightier
02-27-2022, 02:59 PM
whatever it is, go top load. the front load ones like to leak after a while.

This is a decent point. I also hate that I have a pair of front load machines and the cunt-handlers didn't stack them.

killramos
02-27-2022, 03:18 PM
Last time I bought a washer dryer combo, options for top load were fairly non existent and weren’t recommended.

It’s better to think of these things as disposable, pay as little as possible to get what you want and accept that they will need replacing eventually.

We ended up with an LG set that seems to have been good.

suntan
02-27-2022, 04:12 PM
Low end models are easier and cheaper to fix.

brucebanner
02-27-2022, 04:44 PM
Had a decent experience buying from Lowe's recently. Cheap delivery / take away fee ($70). They offer installation as well which is just contracted out.

ThePenIsMightier
02-27-2022, 05:07 PM
I think Trail used to also have a section where you could purchase a Soviet-era commercial machine that had a dial with one setting on it. That setting was Wash The Fucking Clothes and it delivers what it promises, rather than today's 77 settings which all fail to do the one thing they are designed to do.
Plus, since it was a commercial unit, you could put bricks and a bag of dead cats in it with no worries.

03ozwhip
02-27-2022, 06:33 PM
https://i.imgur.com/AO9zNib.jpeg

killramos
02-27-2022, 06:55 PM
https://i.imgur.com/AO9zNib.jpeg

Looks like it meets the width requirements.

mr2mike
02-27-2022, 07:44 PM
Subscribed.
Been deflecting heat by wife on the one we have for years.
Top load and claims it pills and doesn't rinse well, etc but I've got no problem on my clothes.
Hauled the thing apart multiple times to clean everything and figure out if something is plugged. No problem.
So do I pony up for front load and dryer?
Currently it's industrial stacked top load Maytag.

npham
02-27-2022, 07:46 PM
Our washer crapped out this last summer and we went with an Electrolux set to replace them. Love them so far and would get another set if we decide to build a place. The LG ones we had were fine, but I'd stay away from Samsung based on the research I did 6 months ago.

dirtsniffer
02-28-2022, 08:56 AM
can confirm.. samsung sucks go as cheap as possible, but not that cheap

ThePenIsMightier
02-28-2022, 09:05 AM
Top tip: budget for new feed hoses, as well. Those are supposed to be replaced every 5 years (LoL)!
And it is just a glorified garden hose that sits at full residential plumbing pressure its entire life, so it's not the worst advice on a Monday morning.

2Legit2Quit
02-28-2022, 09:14 AM
We bought a LG pair from Costco when we moved into our current home just over 2 years ago, zero issues and work great.

mr2mike
02-28-2022, 09:35 AM
Top tip: budget for new feed hoses, as well. Those are supposed to be replaced every 5 years (LoL)!
And it is just a glorified garden hose that sits at full residential plumbing pressure its entire life, so it's not the worst advice on a Monday morning.

Should I call my home insurance broker to report the update? Lol

ThePenIsMightier
02-28-2022, 10:06 AM
Should I call my home insurance broker to report the update? Lol

Personally, I call my mortgage lender every time before I mow my lawn because I gotta let them know about "property improvements".
So, yes.

ExtraSlow
02-28-2022, 10:15 AM
Not sure what I expected, but I had hoped someone would point me to a specific model that meets the criteria and is available to purchase. If anyone is bored at their desk today that would be incredibly helpful.

killramos
02-28-2022, 10:18 AM
Not sure what I expected, but I had hoped someone would point me to a specific model that meets the criteria and is available to purchase. If anyone is bored at their desk today that would be incredibly helpful.

I think there are people out there who collect a commission who can do this for you

cyra1ax
02-28-2022, 10:20 AM
I think there are people out there who collect a commission who can do this for you

Based on my experience lately, they'd rather browse Onlyfans on their phone than collect a commission.

ExtraSlow
02-28-2022, 10:33 AM

Yeah, realtors, right?

anywhoo,

suntan
02-28-2022, 10:39 AM
Check out CR, it's free if you have a library membership.

Samsung is definitely less reliable these days.

msommers
02-28-2022, 10:48 AM
We bought a LG pair from Costco when we moved into our current home just over 2 years ago, zero issues and work great.

We've heard from a washer/dryer repair person that LG and Samsung are the worst offenders. That said we've had our LG front loader washer and dryer set for 9 years now they've performed the same as when we first got them.

Same for our Samsung stove.

Luck of the draw I guess

ExtraSlow
02-28-2022, 10:51 AM
I have given my mother the address of an appliance store. I told her if the salesbros are being weird, to just take their card and leave and I'll handle it. Odds of this going well don't seem high, but who knows.

Asian_defender
02-28-2022, 10:58 AM
My LG washer is 11 years old and I had to replace the drain pump. The "heavy" load setting sets it on an infinite drain now.
After 11 years I'd get another LG washer. My parents Samsung washer went after 3 years. It was the only time they ever used the extended warranty.

pheoxs
02-28-2022, 11:03 AM
I love my samsung set, though they're only 4 years old so can't comment on long term reliability. The washer has saved my butt a few times. The stain away feature is witchcraft and manages to pull out any fuckup I've throw in there so far. Really nice for dress shirts and oopsies. Also the wifi function sounded dumb as fuck when I got them but it actually works well with Home Assistant and it's nice having a reminder the wash is done instead of setting timers as I'm really bad at forgetting to change things over.

tenth
02-28-2022, 11:58 AM
Speed Queen, sold as Huebsch in Canada, is widely regarded as the most reliable washer. Looks to be just under 26" and sold at a few places in town, including Trail Appliances. Simplicity is their game, so wouldn't expect the controls to be difficult.

https://www.trailappliances.com/search?query=huebsch

flipstah
02-28-2022, 12:21 PM
I have a top load LG washing machine that doesn't have the agitator and it keeps unbalancing the load, so it doesn't finish and have to watch it like a hawk so it doesn't use up a lot of water (the washing machine uses water to rebalance the load, and it sucks at achieving said goal)

Please get old school top load with agitator, or front load.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-28-2022, 12:40 PM
We've heard from a washer/dryer repair person that LG and Samsung are the worst offenders. That said we've had our LG front loader washer and dryer set for 9 years now they've performed the same as when we first got them.

Same for our Samsung stove.

Luck of the draw I guess

Yeah similar here, our Samsung washer has been trouble-free for about that long as well. Dryer has had the idler pulley go out a couple of times, but it's an easy fix and they revised the part so I don't expect any more issues.

ZenOps
02-28-2022, 12:51 PM
Admiral going on twenty years, right in the middle of replacing the agitator dogs. Literally an $8 fix.

topmade
02-28-2022, 12:57 PM
I've had good luck with LG front loads. Current unit is 6+ years old no issues. Old unit I gave to my parents is 21 years old, had seals replaced under warranty 2 years in, 6 years in soap sensor ($18 part from ebay) and last year main bearings replaced. I wanted to get rid of it cause it's so old and a bit rusty but wife convinced me to fix it so $40 for new bearings and 5hrs in labor later it's running like new again.

Tik-Tok
02-28-2022, 01:22 PM
Speed Queen, sold as Huebsch in Canada, is widely regarded as the most reliable washer. Looks to be just under 26" and sold at a few places in town, including Trail Appliances. Simplicity is their game, so wouldn't expect the controls to be difficult.

https://www.trailappliances.com/search?query=huebsch

$1700 though. Might as well spend $700 on a just as simple Inglis, and the other $1000 making space for a more common 27" wide washer.

Xtrema
02-28-2022, 04:37 PM

There's no point in recommending model when there's limited choices due to shortage. If you need a pair now, what you want and what they have may not align.

Friend recently got a pair of LG at Trail and cousin got a pair of Electrolux at BB.

So far I have stuck with Whirpool line of appliances and it has not failed me and it's cheap to fix when it does.

ExtraSlow
02-28-2022, 04:40 PM
Well my mom was heading out to Trail, CAS and Coast today. We will see what she figures out. She went to the home depot yesterday and was shocked how unhelpful they were. I think what would be shocking is if she finds somewhere that isn't unhelpful.

suntan
02-28-2022, 05:13 PM
Bowest might be her best bet.

prae
02-28-2022, 05:50 PM
I DM'd you the contact information of the sales consultant we were assigned at Trail off 11st SE ExtraSlow. They were knowledgeable, helpful to the degree they needed to be and invisible when we needed them to fuck off.

I'd try to get Trail to PM this W/D pair from LG: https://www.lowes.ca/product/laundry-pairs/lg-front-load-stackable-washer-and-dryer-set-wm3700hva-dlex3700v-graphite-steel-energy-star-330616815000572

there's some lower-end sets where you can skip steam and save yourself a few hundo but that's the sweet spot in terms of functionality to price IMO

Edit: I'd much sooner buy from trail at even a few hundred dollars more, delivered & installed, because then you can save your mom the hassle of trying to dispose of old W/D set, and know that a local company which values its reputation is behind the process. Trail's not perfect, but I've had reasonable luck there.

+1 to Bowest as a good option too; my in-laws of no doubt a similar vintage to your mom spoke very highly of the fridge they purchased there. The owner unlocked the store after hours just to sell it to them. Old school service minded business, in their singular experience.

prae
02-28-2022, 05:54 PM
as to quality/reliability: we've had a pair of Kenmore-branded (but white-labelled LG) W/D frontload pair for the better part of a decade, which see daily use, and have been very reliable. Parts were easy to get at ReliableParts when I needed to order a new glass front for the dryer (some FOD cracked it on a cycle). This should also indicate how hard we are on our gear. We take care of shit but use it well, and I have no complaints.

I think it's mostly luck of the draw with modern appliances though.

sabad66
02-28-2022, 06:06 PM
I saw quite a few LG washing machines on the floor and in stock at 32nd Costco over the weekend. Can’t remember pricing or sizes but if the other guys are quoting long lead times then Costco is worth a look.

redline
02-28-2022, 07:55 PM
Our LG is about 9 years old now, we replaced the door seal/gasket the other week. It was $400. They where top of line when we bought them and spending that money they will probably run for another 9 years.

I would buy LG again

TomcoPDR
02-28-2022, 08:06 PM
Did she pick one she can hop on top easily, you know, so she can bang your dad

ThePenIsMightier
02-28-2022, 08:20 PM
Did she pick one she can hop on top easily, you know, so she can bang your dad

You're not a good person...

To 55 seconds:

https://youtu.be/mFte46jVFOg

TomcoPDR
02-28-2022, 08:30 PM
:poosie:

darthVWader
02-28-2022, 10:48 PM
Costco! Free delivery and removal of old.

schocker
03-01-2022, 11:34 AM
Costco! Free delivery and removal of old.

Yeah, I just replaced my 12 yr old LG with a new one as it was a little broken and it was great, also includes install and required fittings etc.

g-m
03-01-2022, 01:20 PM
+1 for Electrolux

ExtraSlow
03-02-2022, 08:56 PM
Well mom picked up this one and it'll be delivered tomorrow.

killramos
03-02-2022, 09:15 PM
Looks like a washing machine

ExtraSlow
03-02-2022, 09:17 PM
That's what I'm hoping.

Darell_n
03-02-2022, 09:59 PM
Make sure she inspects it good while the delivery people are still there. They (Coast’s delivery hoes) delivered my Maytags last year and managed to smash the screen on the drier, hidden under the wrapping.

ExtraSlow
03-05-2022, 12:54 PM
Washing machine continues to look like a washing machine. Dial operation is simple.

killramos
03-05-2022, 12:58 PM
Looks exactly the same as my lg and my Samsung before that.

Namely. Like a washing machine.

suntan
03-05-2022, 01:00 PM
Looks like a granny orgasm machine to me.

ExtraSlow
03-05-2022, 01:03 PM
Looks like a granny orgasm machine to me.

I thought that was you?

Tik-Tok
03-05-2022, 01:57 PM
A regular 27 inch wide unit wouldn't have fit there?

suntan
03-05-2022, 01:59 PM
I thought that was you?

I only fuck your dad.

mr2mike
03-05-2022, 02:10 PM
Looks like someone needs to watch some "will it fit" films.

TomcoPDR
03-05-2022, 02:25 PM

Maxt
03-05-2022, 08:02 PM
I've had the Lg set for about 10 years. The only problem I've had, is with the washer. The tube from the drum for the water level sensor is from the bottom of the drum up the sensor farther up the machine. The tube comes disconnected from the drum when an out of balance load is spun up in the spin cycle. Once the tube is off, on the next cycle it will fill continuously because the sensor is disconnected and the water will leak out of the back of the washer, it will leak until it sets a water level alarm. The fix was to reattach the tube and use some red loctite thread locker as a glue, it's never come off again after that. When I buy I new one, I'll do the same before I use it.

mr2mike
03-10-2022, 11:38 AM
How does your mom like the washing machine?
Or should I ask suntan for a review?

Kloubek
03-10-2022, 11:38 AM
X3 against Samsung. Truly garbage appliances.

DonJuan
03-10-2022, 11:45 AM
*edit old thread

We have LG pair also.

suntan
03-10-2022, 12:02 PM
How does your mom like the washing machine?
Or should I ask suntan for a review?

No delicate cycle, too much softener.