PDA

View Full Version : Shower glass coating - any experience?

Ekliptix
03-10-2022, 12:18 PM
I just had 2 glass shower doors installed. Anyone have any experience on the performance and cost of a coating to seal the glass pores, to reduce mineral build up?

dj_rice
03-10-2022, 12:22 PM
No info to provide other than my local detailing company now offers Home Surfaces Ceramic coating packages. I believe same product applied as vehicles.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-10-2022, 12:23 PM
I rain xed my own shower doors. Works ok but squeegeeing them after using the shower is more effective.

Tik-Tok
03-10-2022, 12:36 PM
When we had glass doors I used Aquapel, and it worked great. I also use it on my convection glass top.

Sidenote, if anyone is looking for a cheap source of Aquapel, this one from Amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B08RHFJKJW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title) is a fake product, read the reviews like I didn't.

Ekliptix
03-10-2022, 01:05 PM
When we had glass doors I used Aquapel, and it worked great. I also use it on my convection glass top.

Sidenote, if anyone is looking for a cheap source of Aquapel, this one from Amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B08RHFJKJW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title) is a fake product, read the reviews like I didn't.

Where did you get the real Aquapel?
I've looked at Rain X, but it apparently only lasts a cpl weeks in the shower.
I was planning to just squeegie, but if I can coat it to reduce the need, I'm all for it.
Ceramic coating is an interesting solution. I'm guessing Aquapel is more affordable.

DonJuan
03-10-2022, 01:45 PM
I rain xed my own shower doors. Works ok but squeegeeing them after using the shower is more effective.

I did the RainX on our new build shower also. Wife couldn't stand it as it left a haze on the clear glass and some weird lines that took months to come off. Did the same happen with you? We squeegee now also.

88CRX
03-10-2022, 01:52 PM
I did the RainX on our new build shower also. Wife couldn't stand it as it left a haze on the clear glass and some weird lines that took months to come off. Did the same happen with you? We squeegee now also.

You kinda have to squeegee regardless of coatings IMO and I agree after coating the squeegee was more difficult and streaky. Would not recommend, C-.

ThePenIsMightier
03-10-2022, 02:08 PM
Water softener is step-1.

mr2mike
03-10-2022, 02:41 PM

You're getting ahead of yourself.
Don't be poor is always step-1.
Step 2, rent the penthouse and move when the shower gets dirty.

Ekliptix
03-10-2022, 02:57 PM
Hmm, it seems no one is happy with their glass coating aside from Tik Tok.

Here's a little sneak peak of the showers anywho,

https://i.imgur.com/jifyvKLh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NmOdIILh.jpg

Guest shower
https://i.imgur.com/gSVEPdKh.jpg

Tik-Tok
03-10-2022, 03:01 PM
That's because RainX sucks. Also I have a water softener.

gpomp
03-10-2022, 03:15 PM
You guys don't have house cleaners? Are you students or something?

suntan
03-10-2022, 03:20 PM

This is the right answer.

DonJuan
03-10-2022, 03:38 PM

I went baller style and got the wife edition. Would not recommend, way too expensive. House Cleaner DLC and Chef DLC require additional subscription. :thumbsdow

88CRX
03-10-2022, 03:45 PM

What kind of animal lives in Alberta without a water softener... gross.

Also if you want to make your shower/glass look brand new spray it down with a mixture of half dawn dish soap and half vinegar, let it sit for 5 minutes, give it a super light wash down with a wet rag and then rinse it off with water.... shit will look brand new and gets rid of all soap scum and shit build up.

suntan
03-10-2022, 03:46 PM
You're supposed to heel the shit down the drain.

Tik-Tok
03-10-2022, 03:58 PM
You're supposed to heel the shit down the drain.

Let the garburator do the hard work.

kenny
03-10-2022, 04:05 PM
When we were building our house, we were told not to put anything like Rainx on the shower glass. I don't recall the reason given though. We were told to just squeegee it after use to keep it clean.

Tik-Tok
03-10-2022, 04:10 PM
New glass probably comes with a coating. Mine was probably 20 years old before we bought the house. I had to polish it to get the hardwater stains off first.

nismodrifter
03-10-2022, 04:33 PM
I tried a few things.

Rain x lasts for a while.
Turtle ceramic spray also lasted for a while but I found it didn't sheet water like rain x did. You get small water droplets all over the place.
Aquapel lasted a few months then wore off.

All 3 required regular ocd squeegeeeing to keep glass perfect. In the end, life got busy, and I fell behind on ocd cleaning after each shower, and fell behind on reapplication of product. Now there is mild hardwater staining. I don't care at this point, house is 3 years old and I don't have time for perfection of my shower anymore lol. After a quick scrub with a brush and a wipe down the doors look like new anyways.

In the end, nothing will compare to squeegee + wipe down with a small towel after each shower.