PDA

View Full Version : anyone try Shaw's Mobile phone service for light user at $10/ 3 mth?

happy hopping
03-20-2022, 10:27 PM
https://shop.shawmobile.ca/en-CA/plans

under For light data user, for $10/GB, I get unlimited canada wide calling and caller ID

now I don't use data, just a few call / mth., so if $10/GB last 90 days, then that's all I need

but the question is: is their service reliable ? are they any good?

ExtraSlow
03-21-2022, 06:57 AM
I have a buddy who has switched his entire family of 4 to this. Zero issues. The phones roam to one of the big boy networks outside the city. Which is good news as that means excellent coverage.

If you already have Shaw home services this is very compelling.

gmc72
03-21-2022, 08:06 AM
My wife and I have the 3gb/$25 month and haven't had any major issues.

Nufy
03-21-2022, 10:24 AM
I swapped my family to unlimited 25 / mth plan.
No issues so far.

happy hopping
03-21-2022, 11:31 AM
I am surprise shaw can make $ at this price

r3ccOs
03-21-2022, 11:41 AM
I am surprise shaw can make $ at this price

its wind infra... and everything else is 100% based on cross cellular roaming arrangements... TBH probably a reason why Rogers acquired

ExtraSlow
03-21-2022, 11:43 AM
When you are at home or somewhere Shaw has wifi, it's VOIP over the wifi, bypasses cellular infrastructure entirely. That costs them nearly zero to provide, and locks you into their other offerings.

happy hopping
03-21-2022, 11:55 AM
see I am with Rogers, and sometimes there is an echo from the person who calls me, that's why I want to switch.

but WIFI has empty spot across the city, WIFI doesn't cover the entire city, so won't you lose the signal sometimes?

ExtraSlow
03-21-2022, 12:09 PM
They have full access to real cellular infrastructure. They have coverage as good as anyone. That is a total non-issue inside and outside the city.

ThePenIsMightier
03-21-2022, 12:19 PM
*buys a unicycle with a tin can & a string
because Mar-3.14

Xtrema
03-22-2022, 08:51 AM
see I am with Rogers, and sometimes there is an echo from the person who calls me, that's why I want to switch.

but WIFI has empty spot across the city, WIFI doesn't cover the entire city, so won't you lose the signal sometimes?

Just make sure you get a phone that support VoLTE and Wifi Calling (I believe all Samsung phones support both).

Wifi calling is only good when you are on a good wifi network, like home or work provides. Random wifi spots tends to be oversubscribed actually worse than LTE in most cases.

VoLTE should be on most phones by 2019. But you still want to do a compatibility check:
https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/byop_compatibility_check

Only use phones that support both Wifi Calling and VoLTE is key to stable connection on Shaw/Freedom infra.

happy hopping
03-25-2022, 02:48 AM
found this review and it's worthwhile for me to read

https://www.reddit.com/r/shawmobile/comments/jrcqtk/shaw_mobile_coverage_in_city_reviews/

skandalouz_08
03-25-2022, 10:22 AM
I switched my office phone over to Shaw and use an old iphone now as my office phone instead of a landline. Haven't had any issues and when I do travel it's been good so far.

2Legit2Quit
03-25-2022, 12:16 PM
Wife has been on it for pay by the gig service, almost 2 years probably? No issues, perfect for her usage as far as data goes. Her phone gets service while camping in some spots while I get no service from Bell.