PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle helmet recommendations

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-23-2022, 09:25 AM
What are people wearing for helmets? My Icon Airframe Pro and Variant are aging out, and my Ruroc Atlas 1.0 is 3 years old already, so I'm debating between a 4.0, or getting another Airframe Pro.

SJW
03-23-2022, 10:30 AM
I have an AGV rossi helmet. I'm basically riding a scooter now. CB500f Good nuff.

Buster
03-23-2022, 11:49 AM
What are people wearing for helmets? My Icon Airframe Pro and Variant are aging out, and my Ruroc Atlas 1.0 is 3 years old already, so I'm debating between a 4.0, or getting another Airframe Pro.

I bought two new helmets this season.

A Hedon Heroine, for looking fine and getting the bishes.

And an AGV K6 for touring comfort and to install a cardo, etc.

bjstare
03-23-2022, 01:01 PM
I have an AGV of some type (few years old), that's super comfy, not super quiet. Really like it.

Would recommend Shoei RF1400; apparently it's even quieter than the previous one, not sure how they managed that. It's what I'd buy if I was getting another one.

Buster
03-23-2022, 01:07 PM
I have an AGV of some type (few years old), that's super comfy, not super quiet. Really like it.

Would recommend Shoei RF1400; apparently it's even quieter than the previous one, not sure how they managed that. It's what I'd buy if I was getting another one.

Me too, but Shoei doesn't fit my head. I don't understand people discussing quiet helmets. You should have ear protection in at all times.

ExtraSlow
03-23-2022, 01:32 PM
LOUD PIPEZ SAVEZ LIVEZ BRAHZ !!!!1one.

Pacman
03-23-2022, 01:32 PM
I bought two new helmets this season.

A Hedon Heroine, for looking fine and getting the bishes.

And an AGV K6 for touring comfort and to install a cardo, etc.

The Hedon looks really nice but a bit too pricey for me. I had an AGV X3000 last year that I had to send back for warranty and now have a credit note with Fortnine. I'm waiting for them to get more XL Bell Bullit's in stock as they are a bit more budget friendly

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-23-2022, 01:34 PM
Me too, but Shoei doesn't fit my head. I don't understand people discussing quiet helmets. You should have ear protection in at all times.

I do. But if it's quieter in the helmet, I can blast the music less to hear over the wind and through the ear plugs.

Buster
03-23-2022, 01:38 PM
I do. But if it's quieter in the helmet, I can blast the music less to hear over the wind and through the ear plugs.

I ride with IEMs in some helmets

ThePenIsMightier
03-23-2022, 06:15 PM
I have a Scorpion helmet but I guess it's a bit old because I don't remember it being was expensive as theirs today.
It's a perfectly fine unit. I've never ridden with a Shoei or Arai but they better be completely silent to justify their ludicrous prices.
That, or give you head...

Buster
03-23-2022, 06:27 PM
Helmets are pretty much emotional investments.

Having said that, I would focus on getting on that is exe 22.06 compliant. It's the new standard and seems like a decent upgrade.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-25-2022, 09:35 AM
I'd always choose an ECE compliant helmet over a Snell rated helmet.
I've previously had a Shoei 1100, and it was a great helmet, until it aged out. Icon Airframe Pro and Icon Variants until they aged out, and a Ruroc Atlas 1.0, which is nice, but had growing pains (like no pin for the visor to keep it closed).

I just want something that looks decent (as a sportbike helmet), I can wear wired headphones in (since my wireless buds fall out), or use an in-helmet system (or Ruroc's built in one), and is $700 or less. If it's quiet inside, that's an added bonus.

Shlade
03-25-2022, 10:15 AM
Im pretty partial to the Simpson bandit helmet or the m30..

16hypen3sp
03-25-2022, 12:15 PM
My birthday is coming up and my wife wanted some ideas. I told her the usual - 'I dunno, I don't want anything.'

She says, 'there must be something that you want to buy coming up'

I had beyond open and I saw this thread.

'Hmmmm, a new motorcycle helmet would be nice.' hahaha

Guess who's getting a new ROOF Boxxer? A slight improvement on the old Boxer V8 design I got in 2014.

Pacman
03-25-2022, 12:36 PM
My birthday is coming up and my wife wanted some ideas. I told her the usual - 'I dunno, I don't want anything.'

She says, 'there must be something that you want to buy coming up'

I had beyond open and I saw this thread.

'Hmmmm, a new motorcycle helmet would be nice.' hahaha

Guess who's getting a new ROOF Boxxer? A slight improvement on the old Boxer V8 design I got in 2014.

You are getting one of these?105391

OTown
03-25-2022, 01:51 PM
Snell and ECE are both pretty decent. I personally stay away from the strictly DOT certified helmets cause, although they are ok, their testings are not as thorough and just dont offer the same protection. You only have 1 head after all

Buster
03-25-2022, 01:53 PM
Snell and ECE are both pretty decent. I personally stay away from the strictly DOT certified helmets cause, although they are ok, their testings are not as thorough and just dont offer the same protection. You only have 1 head after all

Both Snell and DOT are not useful. The only standard you should be using is ECE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76yu124i3Bo

03ozwhip
03-25-2022, 02:06 PM
I dont remember the model of helmet, but Shoei is the way to go. I've had AGV, icon, HJC,and some other ones and Shoei was the best of all of them.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-25-2022, 02:29 PM

I saw this video as well when it was posted, but I knew before that, that snell is outdated and more dangerous than ECE.

OTown
03-26-2022, 02:18 AM
I stand corrected. When I bought my first helmet, Snell was allegedly the gold standard. My newer HJC bought last year is ECE.

Gman.45
03-26-2022, 04:34 AM
How well do the higher end Cardo speakers work compared to in ear headphones/plugs?

Anyone tried using electronic hearing protection ear buds inside their motorcycle helmet?

ThePenIsMightier
03-26-2022, 07:17 AM

This is awesome.
+Rep

NegRep for the hearing protection thing though... Pussy!

mr2mike
03-26-2022, 05:43 PM
Bought a downhill mtb helmet from FC moto. Seemed reputable for motorcycle shit too.

OTown
03-26-2022, 11:51 PM
Fortnine's presenter Ryan F9 has been awesome for years. Down to earth guy, modest but still informative and creative. Love his videos.

tcon
03-27-2022, 12:06 AM
Have been really happy with my Arai Vector-2, which I got to replace my old Shoei RF1100... To compare the two, Id say the Arai is better due to being a little lighter, balanced, and seems to have a slightly wider FOV

shakalaka
03-27-2022, 03:13 PM
I got a new one last season and sold my diff. AGV one earlier this year. The new one I got has a built-in Bluetooth comm. system including for music which was basically the only reason I got it for. Senna something I believe, have to look at it again. It’s just pure matte black though, so doesn’t look like anything fancy.

adamc
03-27-2022, 08:06 PM
I've been riding with Arai helmets for about 15 years now, love the story of the company and the fact that they are still hand made in Japan. I always recommend spending a bit more on a helmet as the fit and finish jump is apparent compared to some of the budget brands. The AGV k6 and Shoei rf1400 are amazing lids too, as previously mentioned in this thread.

Arai factory tour from MotoGeo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBLJHcIraiY

Buster
03-27-2022, 08:39 PM
All things being equal, I would buy an Arai or a Shoei.

However, neither of them fit my head.

ThePenIsMightier
03-27-2022, 08:56 PM
All things being equal, I would buy an Arai or a Shoei.

However, neither of them fit my head.

Today I learned...
Buster head:

Buster
03-27-2022, 09:01 PM
Today I learned...
Buster head:

More like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xybLWdP119A

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-28-2022, 01:43 PM
I got a new one last season and sold my diff. AGV one earlier this year. The new one I got has a built-in Bluetooth comm. system including for music which was basically the only reason I got it for. Senna something I believe, have to look at it again. It’s just pure matte black though, so doesn’t look like anything fancy.

I thought the Sena helmet was vaporware. We heard about it for years and it never materialized. You're telling me it actually exists?
I don't ride with anyone, so no need for another communication system that I won't pair with anyone, just audio.

shakalaka
03-28-2022, 02:59 PM
Yea I don't know where I got Sena from, maybe the bluetooth unit is that brand. I looked and the helmet I got against and it is actually the Sedici Strada II Parlare.

Buster
03-28-2022, 02:59 PM
I thought the Sena helmet was vaporware. We heard about it for years and it never materialized. You're telling me it actually exists?
I don't ride with anyone, so no need for another communication system that I won't pair with anyone, just audio.

A bunch of helmet manufacturers put coms systems into their helmets.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-28-2022, 03:00 PM
A bunch of helmet manufacturers put coms systems into their helmets.

Really? That's great news. Only my Ruroc has it built in. All my others, I have to clamp a controller on the outside of the helmet, that introduces even more wind noise.

shakalaka
03-28-2022, 03:02 PM
The one I mentioned above has that feature built-in. I also don't ride with anyone so don't care for coms as much, it's nice to use it for music for sure. I mostly wanted something I could drown out my Harley's Vance and Hines pipes with, haha.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sedici-strada-2-parlare-helmet?utm_campaign=order_shipped&utm_content=Product&utm_medium=email&utm_source=RevZilla

bjstare
03-28-2022, 04:46 PM
Could always get one of these babies:

Pair it with some beat up Jordans or AF1s, jeans with an obnoxious amount of fashion rips in them, and make sure, whatever you do, don't wear a jacket or gloves.

Buster
03-28-2022, 04:49 PM
Could always get one of these babies:

Pair it with some beat up Jordans or AF1s, jeans with an obnoxious amount of fashion rips in them, and make sure, whatever you do, don't wear a jacket or gloves.

bonus points if your tshirt blows up your back

ThePenIsMightier
03-28-2022, 04:51 PM
bonus points if your tshirt blows up your back

To show a whale tail...

Rocket1k78
03-29-2022, 10:16 AM
Helmet recommendations are tricky because they all fit different. If youre considering buying online make sure theres a good return or exchange policy. Ive always been Arai(small) and tried to go Shoei and the small wouldnt even come close to going on but the medium was too loose. Went with the agv pista gpr last time and that one was my favorite by far, the helmet was comfy and the shape looked aggressive. Ive never tried those speaker systems but if you got louder pipes id definitely consider some type of in ear for better sound.

JRSC00LUDE
03-29-2022, 12:50 PM
More like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xybLWdP119A

So this is why you hate standing desks, you're worried you'll tip over!

pheoxs
04-06-2022, 03:15 PM
Probably not worth its own thread. Is there any nets or carriers out there meant to transport a helmet on the back of a sportbike? Had a few times I run over to someones house and pick them up to go for a rip but carrying the helmet there is always a pain. I typically end up tying it through the spare seat of my ninja but it's a few minute ordeal to run it all over so it doesn't slide off any particular way. Wondering if there's an easier net or something that stays put.

ThePenIsMightier
04-06-2022, 03:46 PM
Probably not worth its own thread. Is there any nets or carriers out there meant to transport a helmet on the back of a sportbike? Had a few times I run over to someones house and pick them up to go for a rip but carrying the helmet there is always a pain. I typically end up tying it through the spare seat of my ninja but it's a few minute ordeal to run it all over so it doesn't slide off any particular way. Wondering if there's an easier net or something that stays put.

Ninja has a clip under the Bitch Seat that locks it there once you clip the seat back down.
*Maybe not all... But mine does

Buster
04-06-2022, 04:36 PM

You'd take people out on your bike without proper gear other than a helmet?

ThePenIsMightier
04-06-2022, 05:37 PM

Only to the nearest shop that sells full, custom fitted, kangaroo Dainese suits that they can donate to some orphans in Aspen after their ride.

#ThinlyVeiled

cam_wmh
04-07-2022, 12:34 AM
I just gotta Shoei RF-SR. I really like it.

zipdoa
04-07-2022, 06:54 AM

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/VJNQuXK7KaQ/maxresdefault.jpg

gmc72
04-07-2022, 09:42 AM
Anyone want to do a group buy on these?

ThePenIsMightier
04-07-2022, 09:45 AM
LoL^
Has anyone seen the guy with The Predator helmet? My kids weren't too sure what to make of that.