PDA

View Full Version : Another wwbd! Warranty edition

03ozwhip
03-24-2022, 08:15 PM
So im to take delivery of a 2018 X5 tomorrow and I've been mulling over the warranty quite a bit. Kind of a different situation here....

The X5 has 53k....on the body.....but it has a brand new engine for whatever bullshit story they told me, either way, it's a crate engine in it.

That said, the factory warranty expires in July and there is 0 warranty on the engine replacement, but VERBALLY they said " of course if something goes wrong we will deal with it on our end".

Do I get a short warranty to cover any electronic failures, do I even bother? Or do I look at a third party warranty, since BMW warranty is out to fuckin lunch....

Anyone? What say you mothafuckas.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-24-2022, 08:18 PM
Don’t be poor.

killramos
03-24-2022, 08:34 PM
I feel like the engine is the part of a BMW I am least worried about.

On an X5 it’s electronics and air suspension that I would be concerned about.

What did they quote you to extend the warranty for a few more years?

ExtraSlow
03-24-2022, 08:38 PM
I'm generally not a fan of additional warranties, but also not a fan of used Euro SUVs so I don't know what to say here.

bjstare
03-24-2022, 09:44 PM
I'm generally not a fan of additional warranties, but also not a fan of used Euro SUVs so I don't know what to say here.

Probably just stick to saying nothing would be best.

RE: OP - I probably wouldn't get a warranty. I'd gamble. I would also push them to put the "we will deal with it on our end" in writing. Or if they won't, then tell them to stop bullshitting you if they don't intend to cover it. That would drive me nuts.

littledan
03-24-2022, 10:14 PM
What motor is it? My fil's 5 series turbo motor grenaded itself at 90k kms. I am not inspired by bmw engine reliability but maybe its better in 2018. I would warranty the fuck out of that thing. Like, go buy $10k worth of warranty because unless you are only driving it for 1 year you will come out ahead.

Buster
03-24-2022, 10:21 PM
How much are they askign for the warranty?

ShermanEF9
03-24-2022, 10:25 PM
What motor is it? My fil's 5 series turbo motor grenaded itself at 90k kms. I am not inspired by bmw engine reliability but maybe its better in 2018. I would warranty the fuck out of that thing. Like, go buy $10k worth of warranty because unless you are only driving it for 1 year you will come out ahead.

Pretty sure its an N55.

mr2mike
03-24-2022, 11:42 PM
Probably just stick to saying nothing would be best.

RE: OP - I probably wouldn't get a warranty. I'd gamble. I would also push them to put the "we will deal with it on our end" in writing. Or if they won't, then tell them to stop bullshitting you if they don't intend to cover it. That would drive me nuts.

Just to stick it to dealer and the sales staff. I would have an official letter drafted and have him and the dealer manager sign it.
They're feeding you a line and them taking care of it if something goes wrong means, they fix you pay!

Am unwillingness to cover the new motor install seems suspect.

ThePenIsMightier
03-25-2022, 06:13 AM
LoL!! He's purchasing a desirable vehicle from a dealer in March of 2022 so let's stop pretending he is holding all the cards and can push the dealer around.

I recommend you put your elbows on the table and purchase extended warranty.

spike98
03-25-2022, 06:26 AM
I just recently picked up a 2020 HD diesel and turned down the warranty extending it out 3 more years until they dropped the price to $500. It was worth it for me then but as a general rule i dont buy extended warranties. IMO it all depends on how expensive the warranty is but generally a rip off. The house wins generally or they wouldn't offer them.

03ozwhip
03-25-2022, 07:18 AM
Thanks guys. This will be my 7th BMW, 5 of which all had this same engine and im aware of the issues that arise on it, like killramos said, I'm not really worried about the engine, the shit that dies go on an N55 is gonna go and it's not too expensive to replace and it shouldn't go til way past the warranty anyways.

I've purchased extended warranty once, on my 535 that im trading in and it actually came in use, of all the cars, it's been the one with the issues.

This is why I'm debating it again, out if the 6 I've owned, I've never put more than about 1k into any of them, but I'd I didn't have warranty on the 535, would have been about 10k....ya im torn.

RX_EVOLV
03-25-2022, 07:52 AM
When we got our F15 X5 a few years ago, the extended warranty from BMW was $5500 after "discount", so I imagine its at least that? We didn't end up getting it. instead we went with a third party warranty, which only costed $1900. We never actually made any claims against it though so I can't comment on effective it was.

No issues on our X5 up until we sold it at ~110km, but near the end we did have some air suspension issues. If we drive it in Sports mode and then park , the rear left suspension would not hold air overnight. I would need to drive around the block in Comfort for a few minutes to pump it back up. The buyer was comfortable taking over that issue because of the extended warranty, so she has some faith in third party one we got I guess.

Great car and my wife misses it. Likely going to be picking up a G05 X5 later this year.

03ozwhip
03-25-2022, 07:58 AM
When we got our F15 X5 a few years ago, the extended warranty from BMW was $5500 after "discount", so I imagine its at least that? We didn't end up getting it. instead we went with a third party warranty, which only costed $1900. We never actually made any claims against it though so I can't comment on effective it was.

No issues on our X5 up until we sold it at ~110km, but near the end we did have some air suspension issues. If we drive it in Sports mode and then park , the rear left suspension would not hold air overnight. I would need to drive around the block in Comfort for a few minutes to pump it back up. The buyer was comfortable taking over that issue because of the extended warranty, so she has some faith in third party one we got I guess.

Great car and my wife misses it. Likely going to be picking up a G05 X5 later this year.

I remember, that was my old one you bought, I missed it enough to buy another one lol

RX_EVOLV
03-25-2022, 08:09 AM
I remember, that was my old one you bought, I missed it enough to buy another one lol

And we missed it enough that we are going to buy another one too lol

03ozwhip
03-25-2022, 11:54 AM
Well I picked up the car. I got a surprise that they found the summer tires were wearing pretty thin, so they replaced them all for free.

On topic though, I ended up going with a 2 year 80k for 2500 tax in. Little piece of mind anyways I guess.

killramos
03-25-2022, 11:57 AM
That seems like reasonable insurance

spikerS
03-25-2022, 03:36 PM
So im to take delivery of a 2018 X5 tomorrow and I've been mulling over the warranty quite a bit. Kind of a different situation here....

The X5 has 53k....on the body.....but it has a brand new engine for whatever bullshit story they told me, either way, it's a crate engine in it.

That said, the factory warranty expires in July and there is 0 warranty on the engine replacement, but VERBALLY they said " of course if something goes wrong we will deal with it on our end".

Do I get a short warranty to cover any electronic failures, do I even bother? Or do I look at a third party warranty, since BMW warranty is out to fuckin lunch....

Anyone? What say you mothafuckas.

get the "we will deal with it in our end" in writing on the bill of sale, clearly defining what is covered and what isn't and for how long.

if the warranty is cheap, go for it to cover everything, but i am just afraid of big repair bills.