PDA

View Full Version : Watch Question - Border Crossing

statick
04-13-2022, 11:15 AM
Hi everyone,

For the life of me, I can’t find the old post, but I’m sure I read about this here. I’m thinking it was mentioned by Pacman or rage2 or one of the other fellow watch nerds…

I’m thinking about having some work done on one of my watches by a specific independent who is in the US. And, of course, I don’t want to get hit with duties/taxes when the watch is being shipped back to me.I have the papers showing the watch was purchased in Canada with GST paid. I know that, if they tried charging something at the border, I might be able to show this and fight it, but it’ll be a bit of a headache. What I read in some thread here on Beyond, and this is a few years ago, is that there’s a form/certificate which Customs can issue you that gets around this

Does anyone know the process of applying for this? In the old thread, I think it was mentioned by name, or maybe a link was even shared.

I’ve bought watches from overseas, sold them overseas, and have travelled with my watches (but wearing them on wrist never really brings any heat). I know that it can be marked as item for repair (or similar) on return shipping, but considering the potential amount, I’d rather not take the chance.

Thanks!

littledan
04-13-2022, 11:58 AM
Tell me you are shipping your bracelet to Rolliworks without telling me your shipping your bracelet to Rolliworks.

I'm not much help as I haven't done this yet.

Pacman
04-13-2022, 01:22 PM
I seem to recall posting about getting the little green customs card that you carry with you when you travel, but I don't have any experience with sending something out for repair work and dealing with the potential customs/duties on the way back.

statick
04-13-2022, 02:52 PM
Thanks for posting, guys. Rolliworks and LA Watch Works are both solid. Anyone know of a good shop with a laser-welder in Canada?

Pacman… Can you share details on how you got that card? That might be what I need…

nismodrifter
04-13-2022, 06:18 PM
I think this is the thread with info from rage2 that you are looking for.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/354965-Undeclared-Rolex-watch-costs-Vancouver-traveller-40-000-in-fines?highlight=Customs+card+jewellery

statick
04-13-2022, 08:16 PM
Many thanks! It doesn’t surprise me that I’m this bad at the internet.

D'z Nutz
04-13-2022, 09:32 PM
YFtHjV4c4uw