PDA

View Full Version : Soundproof/sound damped door manufacturer suggestions

zechs
05-11-2022, 03:39 PM
Any leads?

I am looking for a fire rated door for my condo with a STC rating of over 50. I think it would help alot with some noise issues I'm having (not being poor is not an option unfortunately).

ThePenIsMightier
05-11-2022, 03:55 PM
Art Rooms are so hawt right now...

ExtraSlow
05-11-2022, 04:03 PM
Does your condo allow you to change the hallway doors? Some don't.

Also, I would have written an art room comment if I wasn't beaten to it.

88CRX
05-11-2022, 04:08 PM
Corridor entry door is probably undercut to allow make up air to circulate into your unit. Thats where the sound is coming in.

Can try adding a weatherstripping and/or door sweep and that might help. But your unit might get stuffy depending on how MUA is being handled.

Ca_Silvia13
05-12-2022, 07:08 AM
Corridor entry door is probably undercut to allow make up air to circulate into your unit. Thats where the sound is coming in.

Can try adding a weatherstripping and/or door sweep and that might help. But your unit might get stuffy depending on how MUA is being handled.

If there is an HRV or Fancoil in the suite he will get enough fresh air. Most MUA's in a condo only service the corridors anyways.

JRSC00LUDE
05-12-2022, 07:23 AM
I don't think you'll get a 50 rating out of a 50 slab unless you do the frame as well, and that includes installing the frame properly which would entail opening up the wall on both sides of the suite. I think as others have said your condo board would never allow this. Best to check first before putting too much effort into it.

The door sweep options are probably your best bet if they won't mess with your airflow as also already stated. You can buy foam ones and just put them in when you're home and want the quiet.

zechs
05-12-2022, 07:34 AM
Looking for door suggestions from Alberta, I already have discussed the changes with the board and what is and isn't allowed. Having tried every cheap mitigation factor under the sun, I'm pretty up and up on what I need to do :thumbsup:

Finding a door manufacturer in province that has fire rated doors in the correct style is the issue. Original doors are from the USA, not very helpful for a single purchase situation.

Being Beyond, I love the fact its all commentary and not a single relevant post to the question. Never change guys, never change.

ExtraSlow
05-12-2022, 07:38 AM
We love you too.

ThePenIsMightier
05-12-2022, 07:46 AM

Being Beyond, I love the fact its all commentary and not a single relevant post to the question. Never change guys, never change.

Fuck you. Pointing out that there's zero chance your retardo board will approve this and that you will freeze to death in winter and choke to death on your own farts in summer is about as valuable as a post can be.

You don't think it's valid to help you out by pointing you in that direction before you get too far ahead of yourself?
LoL!!

88CRX
05-12-2022, 07:46 AM
Looking for door suggestions from Alberta, I already have discussed the changes with the board and what is and isn't allowed. Having tried every cheap mitigation factor under the sun, I'm pretty up and up on what I need to do :thumbsup:

Finding a door manufacturer in province that has fire rated doors in the correct style is the issue. Original doors are from the USA, not very helpful for a single purchase situation.

Sounds like you already have it figured out.... here's the last missing piece:

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=alberta+door+manufacturers

You're welcome.

zechs
05-12-2022, 07:53 AM
Fuck you. Pointing out that there's zero chance your retardo board

They already did. Quit projecting your idiocy onto me.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you already have it figured out.... here's the last missing piece:

You're welcome.

Notice how you are missing the "soundproof" and "fire rated" parts. If google was useful, I wouldn't have turned to Beyond. Maybe I give ya'll too much credit!

Ca_Silvia13
05-12-2022, 08:00 AM
It's too bad Shanahan's is closed as they would have been the guys to talk to. Google brough this up - https://norome.ca/hollow-metal-doors-and-frames/

Call them and see if you can actually get a fire rated insulated door. It appears most rated doors are hollow.

gmc72
05-12-2022, 08:01 AM
It's too bad Shanahan's is closed as they would have been the guys to talk to. Google brough this up - https://norome.ca/hollow-metal-doors-and-frames/

Call them and see if you can actually get a fire rated insulated door. It appears most rated doors are hollow.

I was just about to write about Norome Building Supplies. I grew up with the guy who now runs it. Worth a try.

ThePenIsMightier
05-12-2022, 08:05 AM
They already did. Quit projecting your idiocy onto me...

Yeah, I know they did. That's what I was pointing out. You know, the fact that someone made a useful post to help you out in case you hadn't thought of it?
Unlike your useless original post that failed to mention anything considering condo board approval...

90_Shelby
05-12-2022, 08:11 AM
Can a larger fire rated door be cut to fit? Assuming the size differential isn't extensive?

zechs
05-12-2022, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it!

Huuurrr duuuurrr I
retarted and think I should be praise for making a mind numbingly obvious suggest waaaaaaaaaah quit bullying me

You = fucking goof. Go cry elsewhere

mr2mike
05-12-2022, 01:02 PM
What about a large fan to balance the air pressure?
Some raspberry pi to find the perfect balance.
Beyond baller style.

Tik-Tok
05-12-2022, 01:27 PM
If you can't find the correct door, is the layout of your entry built in a way that would allow a second front door, so you would have a "mud room" so to speak? That would cut down noise significantly more than a different front door.

This would also slow down intruders and/or escapees.

zechs
05-12-2022, 02:50 PM
If you can't find the correct door, is the layout of your entry built in a way that would allow a second front door,

This is not a bad idea, but the entryway is already pretty small. Would be a pain in the mornings and evenings, but I'm not in and out often (#studentlyfe) and my art room is more of a freezebox if you catch my drift #dontjudge

JRSC00LUDE
05-12-2022, 07:31 PM
I feel like my comment that a slab only won't get you the full STC rating you're looking for isn't relevant sir

ThePenIsMightier
05-12-2022, 07:38 PM
I feel like my comment that a slab only won't get you the full STC rating you're looking for isn't relevant sir

HuUuRr dUrRrR!!

zechs
05-12-2022, 08:16 PM

I was being kind to you (its not relevant, but you were not a big butthurt loser about it), hurr-durrs alt, not so much.

(Sorry to slander your good name with this retard hurr-durr)

ThePenIsMightier
05-12-2022, 08:42 PM
Any leads?

I find the windows in my condo are letting too much light in, so I'm gonna paint the glass on the inside. Need help to select paint that will block out the light, but I also need the heat from that light. Paint needs to be non toxic.

TiA.

zechs
05-12-2022, 08:56 PM
Any leads?

I find the windows in my condo are letting too much light in, so I'm gonna paint the glass on the inside. Need help to select paint that will block out the light, but I also need the heat from that light. Paint needs to be non toxic.

Man, if I knew of a paint that absorbed light and radiated heat, I'd give you a link (funny enough, I actually do as I worked on a project that had similiar requirements). Then after doing that, I'd probably suggest I found a much better solution, and suggest it. And then let you make up your own mind. Because unlike you, I don't have my head up my hurr-fucking-durr ass.

I'm not exactly the most well liked guy on this site, but my positive rep comments show people REALLY think you are a fucking moron. And that's saying something, cuz I'm pretty fucking dumb alot of the time.

ThePenIsMightier
05-12-2022, 09:20 PM
^Does that make your comment a "typical Beyond comment"?
Never change, I guess.